Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

On 9/17/2023 at 10:29 AM, ASJCPUMA said:

Hartman is a game changer.  he makes everyone a better player.  Funny how many thought Buchner was the golden boy at one time.  We have a real QB.  He has to stay healthy.

While everyone talks about the big three the Duke game looms a week after OSU.  Duke is the real deal based on what I have watched.  That is a huge trap game. 

It will get crazy here starting on Thursday and then you have Game Day as well.

I wonder how many ND fans gave up their tickets to the fans in red.  We shall see come Saturday

Hearing 60/40, ND is doing some kind of green LED wristbands for fans so if there’s 40% o$u fans not sure how the light snow plays out haha hope it’s better than Georgia a few years back 

Coaching malpractice by Freeman. It’s exactly why so many people questioned his hire. Forget the last 2 plays where they only had 10 players on the field, it doesn’t even get to that point if ND doesn’t throw the ball and a subsequent incompletion on 2nd down the drive before. Remember, OSU was called for intentional grounding with 15 seconds left and was able to call a TO they shouldn’t have had to prevent a 10 second runoff. They ended up running 4 more plays instead of snapping the ball at the 20 with 5 seconds left. 

Failure

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Coaching malpractice by Freeman. It’s exactly why so many people questioned his hire. Forget the last 2 plays where they only had 10 players on the field, it doesn’t even get to that point if ND doesn’t throw the ball and a subsequent incompletion on 2nd down the drive before. Remember, OSU was called for intentional grounding with 15 seconds left and was able to call a TO they shouldn’t have had to prevent a 10 second runoff. They ended up running 4 more plays instead of snapping the ball at the 20 with 5 seconds left. 

Failure

Is it the head coach's responsibility to count the players every time they take the field. Isn't that why you hire a staff? Can't do everything yourself. 

We can play armchair quarterback all we want. Sure, I was hoping for more running and winding down the clock on that last possession, but I also get that they were looking for another first down so that they could put the game away. Is "run when your opponent expecting pass and pass when your opponent is expecting run" an off the wall philosophy? 

Let's not call for coach Freeman's head, he's still a young head coach, and a smart one at that. He'll have every bit of success at Notre Dame that Ryan Day has had at Ohio State. Maybe more. I'd bet Freeman gets a championship before Day does. 

Speaking of Ryan Day. Ohio State against the world? Well, they've pretty much made their own bed with the arrogance of their fan base and everything associated with the university. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

Is it the head coach's responsibility to count the players every time they take the field. Isn't that why you hire a staff? Can't do everything yourself. 

We can play armchair quarterback all we want. Sure, I was hoping for more running and winding down the clock on that last possession, but I also get that they were looking for another first down so that they could put the game away. Is "run when your opponent expecting pass and pass when your opponent is expecting run" an off the wall philosophy? 

Let's not call for coach Freeman's head, he's still a young head coach, and a smart one at that. He'll have every bit of success at Notre Dame that Ryan Day has had at Ohio State. Maybe more. I'd bet Freeman gets a championship before Day does. 

Speaking of Ryan Day. Ohio State against the world? Well, they've pretty much made their own bed with the arrogance of their fan base and everything associated with the university. 

I’m not calling for anyone’s head, just simply saying this was the fear when you hire somebody who doesn’t know what they’re doing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’m not calling for anyone’s head, just simply saying this was the fear when you hire somebody who doesn’t know what they’re doing. 

I see the Freeman hire no differently than the Day hire. It's a risk for sure. But sometimes the risk is worth the reward. I think Freeman will be fine. Irish fans can only hope that Freeman will be more than a "get to the playoffs and get thumped" kind of a coach than Day is. 

Edited by BTF

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

I see the Freeman hire no differently than the Day hire. It's a risk for sure. But sometimes the risk is worth the reward. I think Freeman will be fine. Irish fans can only hope that Freeman will be more than a "get to the playoffs and get thumped" kind of a coach than Day is. 

He needs to get there first lol. Guarantee you Day has never trotted out 10 players to defend 2nd and 3rd and Goal from the 1 yard line with the game on the line. 

How do you defend that as a Notre Dame fan? 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

He needs to get there first lol. Guarantee you Day has never trotted out 10 players to defend 2nd and 3rd and Goal from the 1 yard line with the game on the line. 

How do you defend that as a Notre Dame fan? 

Again, it's not up to the head coach to count the players on the field. I'm pretty sure I'm handing that off to someone else. I'm sure he'll get that worked out. But I'm not firing him over it.................geeesh. 

Just now, BTF said:

Again, it's not up to the head coach to count the players on the field. I'm pretty sure I'm handing that off to someone else. I'm sure he'll get that worked out. But I'm not firing him over it.................geeesh. 

Again, I haven’t said he needs to be fired, but if you think the responsibility of having 11 men on the field lies anywhere but with the head coach you’ve lost your mind. 

By the way, he literally acknowledged he knew he didn’t have enough guys on the field.

While the plays on offense the last drive did not work, I did not mind the screen call. BUT, the screen I would have run, they only ran once. It was a double screen, and Hartman hits a TE that is f’ing WIDE open down the middle. There should have been another option for Hartman if that one was not open, and I don’t think there was. 
Defense is a different story. What has pissed me off for two years now is the pass rush. More specifically, the LB that spies the RB….if the RB stays, he typically goes late on the pass rush…..and NEVER gets there. Why send him inside to just rune into a lineman who already counted him in the pass pro? McCord was able to break contain a few times. That cannot happen. So either send the LB off the edge to contain? McCord is a pocket passer, and not a runner, so no need to spy. But what would have been a smarter move for that LB…..if the back stays you sink. Stay in the middle of the field but sink. The routes in the middle in the 8-12 yard range were wide open far too often. At least force a more difficult throw instead of wasting a guy on the pass rush who never gets there. 

As far as the 10 guys on the field. I will disagree that it is the head coaches job. In a tight formation, like what osu was in, and with the missing spot being on the far side, it’s just too difficult to see that from where he is. To me, it falls on the coaches in the pressbox. They have the clearest view. And I am guessing there were 4 or 5 defensive coaches up there. Someone had to see it. Having spent a number of years in the pressbox, that was always part of my role. It’s far too simple a thing to blow it like that. 

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Again, I haven’t said he needs to be fired, but if you think the responsibility of having 11 men on the field lies anywhere but with the head coach you’ve lost your mind. 

By the way, he literally acknowledged he knew he didn’t have enough guys on the field.

In that spot, you run his ass onto the field. I don’t care if it is a penalty or not, you have GOT to have 11. So you give them a yard. You have stopped the, before in short yardage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

EVERYTHING that had to go wrong for Notre Dame to lose that game WENT WRONG.  A comedy of errors…by both teams honestly.

They gifted the game to OSU and I sort of got my wish…

OSU remains a finesse squad (play action from the 2 yard line on 4th down in the first half and a jet sweep on 4th and 1 late in the fourth) and their run D remains pourous.

Neither team wanted to win this game.

Edited by temptation

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

OSU remains a finesse squad (play action from the 2 yard line on 4th down in the first half and a jet sweep on 4th and 1 late in the fourth) and their run D remains pourous.

Won’t excuse OSU short yardage play calling because it’s a 2 score win if they execute, but their defense was on the field for what felt like the entire 2H. Henderson busted one early and I’m not sure they got another first down until the last drive. Believe I saw a stat at one point where ND had run 30 2nd half plays to OSU’s 7 and had better than a 3:1 TOP ratio.

Just now, Irishman said:

And apparently he is unaware they only had 10 the play before. 

All coming out of a timeout.

OSU grounded the ball on 1st and G to stop the clock, ND called their last TO and broke the huddle with 10 men. I realize Freeman is a nice guy who most want to see succeed but that’s absolutely inexcusable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

All coming out of a timeout.

OSU grounded the ball on 1st and G to stop the clock, ND called their last TO and broke the huddle with 10 men. I realize Freeman is a nice guy who most want to see succeed but that’s absolutely inexcusable.

Yep…and had 11 for that first down play. And so on 2nd down, you see you have 10. It was incomplete so osu is in no hurry to run the next play, NOW run a guy onto the field. 

• Like 1

The most upsetting part at the end….the ball only got to the goal line. The goal line is 4 inches wide. It did not even get past the white of the line. Before anyone misinterprets me, I am fully aware the front of the line is the endzone. But just 4 inches. A d lineman in position helps stuff that play and we are celebrating an Irish win. 

That is the type of situation that haunts coaches. 

48 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I hate ND but losing to Marshall at home last year to almost beating the Ohio state, I think the coaching is just fine. Remember this is college, coaches are more the just X and Os. Freeman brings alot to the table recruiting wise and transfer portal 

I think you should have higher expectations of a head coach, especially one making $5 million/year.

The things you mention are important but game management and situational football are the #1 responsibility of a head coach and should be a given.

Last year it was, “give him time” it’s year 1…now it’s “but he’s an elite recruiter”?

Come on.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

you’ve lost your mind. 

That's a possibility, but............

Isn't it easier for the defensive coordinator to spot a man short on the field from the press box than it is for the head coach from the sideline? Doesn't really matter in the end I guess, apparently he knew and opted not to put anyone in. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I think you should have higher expectations of a head coach, especially one making $5 million/year.

The things you mention are important but game management and situational football are the #1 responsibility of a head coach and should be a given.

Last year it was, “give him time” it’s year 1…now it’s “but he’s an elite recruiter”?

Come on.

What about the 1 million a year I'm paying my coordinator. The least he can do is coordinate the defense with 11 guys on the field..................geeesh. 

Trust me. If I'm the head coach, I'm pointing the finger and me and asking what I could have done better. But damn, you hire a staff for a reason. 

C'mon.