Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IMG-Ben Davis: Why is this game being played?

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Snider and North Side alone have four players with Power Five offers. I'm counting 20 players from Indiana going to Power Five schools according to 24/7.

How many are going to Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, etc and have 50+ offers from every school in the country? 

A national all-star team is going to beat a local all-star team, by a good margin I would guess. 

Edited by Footballking16

18 minutes ago, BTF said:

That makes it even more unsportsmanlike if they threw the ball in the 3rd quarter. I could see on one had that you'd like to give your second stringer an opportunity to throw the ball in the state game, but damn. As a coach, I'm probably setting an example for the second stringer by telling him that were running out the clock. Call some QB runs if you want him to do more than just hand off the ball. 

It doesn't diminish my view of the great program that Ben Davis has built. But I could see how it might piss off a Penn fan. 

Nah, they wanted them to throw the ball those nights...trust me. 

Penn had a better shot at a possible incompletion than they did stopping Desmond Tardy or Reese Taylor on the ground those nights.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

How many are going to Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, etc and have 50+ offers from every school in the country? 

A national all-star team is going to beat a local all-star team, by a good margin I would guess. 

Three are committed to Georgia and Ohio State. Three are committed to Michigan and Notre Dame. 

I'm not saying an all-star team would beat the IMG, but I'd bet money they would come within 3 touchdowns. Remember when that team from Fort Wayne went down the the IMG 7 on 7 national tournament and won the whole thing? Rumor has it that those boys from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas thought it was funny that a team from Indiana was down there. They learned a humbling lesson. 

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nah, they wanted them to throw the ball those nights...trust me. 

Penn had a better shot at a possible incompletion than they did stopping Desmond Tardy or Reese Taylor on the ground those nights.

Good point, I can't debate that. I'll let blackandgold weigh in on that one. 

This may be a silly question, but is there a payout for the game involved?  

As the great Frank Beamer quoted while head coach at Murray State prior to Va Tech about an upcoming game against Alabama....."Alabama needs a win and we need a new weight room." 

• Like 1

Just now, Bash Riprock said:

This may be a silly question, but is there a payout for the game involved?  

As the great Frank Beamer quoted while head coach at Murray State prior to Va Tech about an upcoming game against Alabama....."Alabama needs a win and we need a new weight room." 

I can't imagine Ben Davis is paying IMG to come blow their doors off. Perhaps the other way around but that just seems like an odd angle altogether.

Perhaps it's nationally televised in some capacity and each school is getting a piece. About the only logical reason why this game being played makes sense. 

I have not heard of any specific financials on the IMG game. I can certainly ask. I believe BD is anticipating a large gate for the game.

Again, as I stated earlier, I really believe the friendship of Jason Simmons and one of the coaches at IMG started the ball rolling on this one. 

29 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I have not heard of any specific financials on the IMG game. I can certainly ask. I believe BD is anticipating a large gate for the game.

Again, as I stated earlier, I really believe the friendship of Jason Simmons and one of the coaches at IMG started the ball rolling on this one. 

Is there any TV money involved? I could see this on ESPN or something. 

34 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Only thing I saw about TV/streaming is something called FloFootball out of Florida which is available via AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast and via their app on iOS and Android.

https://www.flofootball.com/articles/11034248-how-to-watch-2023-img-fl-vs-ben-davis-in-football

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Well 2 are up in Nappanee at Northwood. Although 1 tried to go to IMG.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Are we still 100% sure this is IMG’s “A squad” being sent?

MaxPreps shows several IMG teams, but three of them have varsity football ... IMG Academy Bradenton and the Blue and White teams.  It's the main one, IMG Academy, that shows Ben Davis.  The others show local Florida teams and lower-ranked/non-ranked teams whereas IMG Academy, which shows Ben Davis, also shows top-ranked schools like #11 St. Joseph's Prep and #6 St. Frances Academy.

image.png.fa3ca104d75523bb48ddedd73674dbc9.png

7 hours ago, foxbat said:

MaxPreps shows several IMG teams, but three of them have varsity football ... IMG Academy Bradenton and the Blue and White teams.  It's the main one, IMG Academy, that shows Ben Davis.  The others show local Florida teams and lower-ranked/non-ranked teams whereas IMG Academy, which shows Ben Davis, also shows top-ranked schools like #11 St. Joseph's Prep and #6 St. Frances Academy.

image.png.fa3ca104d75523bb48ddedd73674dbc9.png

Yikes.

12 hours ago, temptation said:

Are we still 100% sure this is IMG’s “A squad” being sent?

That's what I have been told by coaches.

15 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Like I said, I'm not aware of financials.

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Yikes.

I guess the bigger question is: Does IMG stack it's academy team or do they try to somehow distribute talent so they all see the field. For instance:

IMG has a SR RB Jerrick Gibson who is a 4* ranked 64th nationally committed to Texas

They also have two JR RB's Anthony Rogers 4* ranked 74th nationally in his class committed to Alabama as well as Donovan Johnson also a 4* ranked 61st nationally in his class who has offers to Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and about 30 other P5 schools. No way those guys are all on the same team right? How do you keep everyone happy? Is it even worth going to IMG if you're splitting a third of the snaps assuming it's evenly distributed?

Why is Ben Davis playing this game lol!

31 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I guess the bigger question is: Does IMG stack it's academy team or do they try to somehow distribute talent so they all see the field. For instance:

IMG has a SR RB Jerrick Gibson who is a 4* ranked 64th nationally committed to Texas

They also have two JR RB's Anthony Rogers 4* ranked 74th nationally in his class committed to Alabama as well as Donovan Johnson also a 4* ranked 61st nationally in his class who has offers to Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and about 30 other P5 schools. No way those guys are all on the same team right? How do you keep everyone happy? Is it even worth going to IMG if you're splitting a third of the snaps assuming it's evenly distributed?

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Good points but they could also be selling an abundance of tread left on the tires at the RB position to keep kids "fresh for the next level."

I also wonder if kids jump from team to team as the season progresses.

All speculation on my part.

Edited by temptation

I've been away since last season, so has the 300 mile rule been rescinded?  I know where IMG is located as I've visited a friend who lives a couple miles from IMG in Bradenton.  I passed it many times and was amazed that a "high school" had it's own golf course.

3 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I've been away since last season, so has the 300 mile rule been rescinded?  I know where IMG is located as I've visited a friend who lives a couple miles from IMG in Bradenton.  I passed it many times and was amazed that a "high school" had it's own golf course.

IMG started out as a Golf and Tennis academy way back in the day and well before it became a high school. Some of the best golf and tennis players of all-time trained there.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

IMG started out as a Golf and Tennis academy way back in the day and well before it became a high school. Some of the best golf and tennis players of all-time trained there.

That doesn't surprise me.  That's quite a nice course!

What about the 300 miles from the Indiana border rule?

On 8/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, BDGiant93 said:

They scored 14 in the second half. That's it.

The Ben Davis thrashing doesn't bother me as much. Penn made a bunch of weird mistakes in the first half that, we had not seen them do in a very long time. Not fielding kick offs, muffing kick offs. It was a tragedy. I don't fault Ben Davis for beat the living hell out of Penn. 

My biggest issue was the Carmel game at state...they were deliberately throwing the ball on Penn in the second half. The coach was the same guy from Warren, and wanted to make it a point that Carmel should have been in the North and it should have been an all Indy final...He ran the score up to embarrass us. And he did exactly what he set out to do. Penn has not been competitive in any state finals....maybe consider the Center Grove game, close....Since Gees left. 

I personally have no angst towards Ben Davis, I do hate Carmel though.