Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 1

Why is Vincennes not talked about here as a potential SIAC champion? They beat MD last year. Lost to Reitz by 3. Could have beat Memorial, and close games against North and Castle. Bring back SIAC player of the year at QB and only lost 3 or 4 starters. Seems like a team that’s loaded with returnees and doesn’t get much attention. 

23 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

Why is Vincennes not talked about here as a potential SIAC champion? They beat MD last year. Lost to Reitz by 3. Could have beat Memorial, and close games against North and Castle. Bring back SIAC player of the year at QB and only lost 3 or 4 starters. Seems like a team that’s loaded with returnees and doesn’t get much attention. 

The unsuspected rise of Xander Hunt was a big part of their success last season. Teams didn’t have film on him. There are a handful of great coaches in the SIAC. They will be much more schemed and prepared going into that matchup. Sure, he’s good enough a player that he will still make plays and keep them in games, but I would be shocked if he has as much success and stays at full strength for another whole season. Also, they seemed to struggle with confidence and discipline later in the season as they started to lose more games. They do return a lot though, so I expect them to be very competitive. Would not be shocked by a 7-2 season but I predict 5-4. I think they will beat Harrison, Bosse, Central, Mater Dei, and either North or Castle. 

44 minutes ago, FootballFan2000 said:

I just think a few bounces went Reitz's way to get them the undefeated record and outright title. Their win at VL and I think there was another close game that went their way but maybe I am mis-remembering. 

Jasper seems to be sneaky good this year, return a solid core and their offense can be tough to stop at times. Castle returns quite a few guys along with Memorial. Not saying Reitz won't take home even a share, I just don't think its a undefeated team that wins it this season.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing other perspectives. We can sit on here all day and evaluate from the outside looking in, it is definitely fun for us to do. But when it comes down to it, the kids are the ones who make it all happen on the field which surely adds variables. Normally I would say the returning champ (Reitz in this case) is the one with the big target and will get everyone’s best shot which could result in a loss or two. I won’t argue with that logic. But I have a feeling they’ll be even hungrier after how their season ended. I also won’t argue that the conference should be stronger overall. Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out! 

1 hour ago, Evansville50 said:

The Pass Defense was really really Bad.  Gave up either the most or next to most yards in the SIAC next year.  They lost some key contributors as well, only a couple on D but those were the DBs on an estrous secondary.  Perhaps the whole defense other than those guys being a year older will help....or maybe it's a coaching issue on that side of the ball.

Kaiser Beaman OL

Jackson Johnson RB

Dejuan Gillis WR/DB

Jaden Easley WR

Zach Steffey DB

They won't beat Reitz, Memorial, North or Castle.

Edited by Titan32

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Memorial families are more the Pangea type. If you haven’t had it you are missing out.  

That's not manly pizza!  To even order that pizza you have to be wearing a puffy vest and be drinking a choca moca bullsh!t.  LOL

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

If teams are overlooking VL this year they are crazy. I have them second behind Reitz. 

5 minutes ago, combthehair said:

If teams are overlooking VL this year they are crazy. I have them second behind Reitz. 

That is awfully nice of you to compliment your rivals that way but here is how I would rank them preseason....(its still preseason right)

Reitz

Jasper

Memorial

Castle

VL

MD

North

Bosse

Harrison

Central

• Like 1

1st round of picks!

Reitz at Harrison

Harrison will likely be an improved team this coming season especially with Brown being QB after a late breakout last year. With an important weapons in TE 6’7 Thomas and WR Terry, however they did get hit from graduation. Reitz, on the other hand, returns nearly everyone from last year, with a question in RB/DBs. But, the Panthers want to make a statement right off the back, after facing an early loss in the playoffs last year. I’ll take the Panthers in a running clock.

Central at Mater Dei

It’s been a rough 2 seasons for the Bears as they have struggled. Central returns with a couple of playmakers like Stewart brothers, but took a massive hit in graduation and lots questions in other places. But with a new coach and QB, it will be interesting to see how they do tomorrow night. After a devastating loss to Andrean in the 2021 State Championship, MD returned back to Lucas Oil to win it last year. There will be a strong target on Mater Dei’s back this season. Replacing nearly half the defense and nearly all the offense, I think tomorrow could be a close one. However, I’m going to take Mater Dei by 2 scores.

Bosse at Vincennes 

I’m pretty excited to see what Coach Mullen can do with this year’s Bosse team. As they return, electric players like QB Wagner/ WR Hope/ WR Tomlinson and others. And according to my research, a good majority of their starters from last season. Bosse has had some flashes in games, but it will be bit before they mold up. Vincennes is definitely going to be a top team watch this season, as they return SIAC POTY QB Xander Hunt, and solid defensive, better experienced squad. Vincennes did get hit on the offensive side, but with an electric player like Hunt who nearly threw 1500 yards and 900 rushing yards last season, VL will be interesting. I’ll take Alices by 4 scores in this game.

North at Castle

Lots of eyes on North this season as they return a majority of their starters on offense and defense. As they are slowly finding their rhythm after finally breaking the 5-5 threshold to get their first winning season in 15 years. North returns a pretty solid OL (6’3 280 average IB), questions in receiving/rushing, but solid options in those categories. North also returns the top rushing defense from last year almost everyone returns on the DL and a good amount in their backfield. After coming off from their 2nd appearance in the 5A SS in 3 years, Castle is aiming to finally reach the 5A Title Game after unfortunate losses. The Knights did take a massive graduation hit, as they replace nearly all their OL, replacing All-State LB Purdy and other spots around the team. However, they do return enough to build around QB Gordon and their defense should be decent. Coin flip, but I think the Huskies squeak by a score in Paradise. 

Jasper at Memorial

Jasper returns back to Enlow after an early exit to Memorial in the same place last season. Jasper is looking to finally win Sectional 24 after a 10 year drought and aiming for a SIAC title. Jasper did lose solid players last season like QB Young. But Jasper always reloads and will run straight down your throats, as they will be loaded in their offensive system this year under a solid size OL. And Jasper Defense is always solid year around too. Question is can they be healthy this season, as they were plagued by injuries last season, which costed them a couple of games. On the other side of the playing field, Memorial returns valuable players like QB Fisher/ WR Ellspermann/ RB Rode/ LB Broshears. But was decimated in the trenches as the Tigers were forced to replace their entire DL and a couple of starters on the OL. As there are questions regarding those areas. It’s going to be tough defending against run heavy Jasper offense. But, let’s see what Coach Hurley has up his sleeve this season for the defending sectional champions. The last 3 years in the regular season I picked Memorial and they have lost. Let’s play some reverse psychology, I’ll take Jasper +7.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, Screagle said:

It will take a lights out effort and an off night by Reitz for them not to go 9-0. That still may not be enough this year in the regular season. Playoffs bring a different element. A hiccup there and it’s season over.  

Speaking of lights out, has the EVSC ever replaced or upgraded the lighting at Reitz Bowl?

8 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

I heard the lights are being replaced/upgraded already or soon. Not sure how much better, if at all, they are supposed to be.

The lights in all of the EVSC gyms were replaced this summer but nothing has been addressed with the lighting at Enlow or Reitz

Just now, SouthernFan said:

The lights in all of the EVSC gyms were replaced this summer but nothing has been addressed with the lighting at Enlow or Reitz

Instead of spending the money to fix this, they just moved up start time. It won’t be dark until 4th quarter. I will miss Friday night light! 

• Haha 2

On 8/17/2023 at 8:28 AM, Titan32 said:

That's not manly pizza!  To even order that pizza you have to be wearing a puffy vest and be drinking a choca moca bullsh!t.  LOL

We support our own! The owner is Randy Hobson, who is a great guy and was a multi-sport standout at VL in early 80's. His kids went to Memorial and his son teaches and coaches for us now. Great pizza & Thai dishes, plus best cocktails in Evansville. 

1 minute ago, tango said:

We support our own! The owner is Randy Hobson, who is a great guy and was a multi-sport standout at VL in early 80's. His kids went to Memorial and his son teaches and coaches for us now. Great pizza & Thai dishes, plus best cocktails in Evansville. 

I actually am well aware that the pizza is good.  VL was very good in the early and mid 80s.  We had some battles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tango said:

Speaking of lights out, has the EVSC ever replaced or upgraded the lighting at Reitz Bowl?

i’m always shocked by how poor the lighting is at the bowl when we get the opportunity to play there, love the bowl just wish the lighting was better.

4 hours ago, tango said:

Randy was a pretty good QB at UE, too.