Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 8

26 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I’m guessing the Lefty will get more reps this week for Memorial. Threw a couple nice balls in the 4th.  

Exactly what I was thinking. I would be surprised if they don't give him a chance. I know they want to establish their ground game, but it's just not working. Lefty Liam gives them their best shot to move the ball and score points. He may miss some throws, throw some picks, or take some sacks, but he opens up the field with his arm which may make way for their ground game more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I would be surprised if they don't give him a chance. I know they want to establish their ground game, but it's just not working. Lefty Liam gives them their best shot to move the ball and score points. He may miss some throws, throw some picks, or take some sacks, but he opens up the field with his arm which may make way for their ground game more.

The Tigers may have something special with #4. Let the player be who he is and see what happens. It will definitely open up the field and teams will have to respect his arm. If you want to beat good teams they can’t stay as vanilla as the last two weeks. 

Massey Ratings:

Castle (-36) at Central, 98% chance of winning for the Knights

North (-5) at Jasper, 58% chance of winning for the Cats

VL at Memorial (-18), 84% chance of winning for the Tigers

Bosse at Reitz (-35), 96% chance of winning for the Panthers

MD (-28) at Harrison, 96% chance of winning for the Cats

Since stats don't interest anyone, I'll stick with the game notes.  I tried harder on the score predictions this week.

Castle 49 Central 6 - The Central sideline does a facepalm in unison when an unidentified Sophomore excitedly yelps, “He took it to the mojo dojo casa house!!!!,” after Maximus McCool reels off a 36 yard touchdown run.  In an unrelated note, the IHSAA anoints Maximus to the top spot of its “Top 100 Best Names” list.

Bosse 28 Reitz 42 - In a quest to burnish his offensive legacy Cory Brunson has his charges practice a fumblerooski, double reverse, flea flicker, halfback pass.  He scuttles the play when nobody can pronounce its moniker without laughing: The FuRooDoReFleaHaPa.

Mater Dei 28 Harrison 6 - After pointing out to his team that they have scored more than twice as many points as Harrison, Coach Goebel enthusiastically exhorts his troops to carpe bellator!  The ol’ ball coach seemly forgets that he is the only native Latin speaker in the room.

North 23 Jasper 17 - Jasper staff member finds lost MaxPreps password and promptly enters 141 yards rushing and 80 yards passing for every game since 2004 - In honor of both Jerry Brewer and Jasper’s inceptive MaxPreps entry for the Memorial game on 08/23/2019.

Vincennes 6 Memorial 32 - Vincennes nabs Michael Penix Jr. and Memorial snags Sam Hartman in the IHSSA’s newly implemented mid-season Transfer Portal…at least in parallel recurring dreams that Coach Salters and Coach Hurley have been having for the last eight days.  Neither QB materials in time to stop the Tigers from taking out their lone-loss frustrations on the Alices.

Edited by GrayingPanther
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bosse at Reitz - I think Bosse could probably score at least once on any 4A team in the state. With a QB like Wagner and fast receivers, they're bound to break one at some point with his ability to scramble, reverse field, and create plays no defense can prepare for. However, Reitz may have the best defense in the state, so I'm intrigued by this Bosse O vs. Reitz D matchup. And can the Bulldogs score enough to stay in the game? I don't think Reitz will have trouble scoring points. I will take the Panthers by 4 scores.

Mater Dei at Harrison - intriguing matchup here as MD has been struggling and the Warriors are fresh off their first win of the season. I think this one can be close into the 2nd half but ultimately this will be a good opportunity for the young QB Mallory to have a great game. Harrison will have a few of the best athletes on the field, but MD has more talent overall. I will take the Wildcats by 3 scores.

North at Jasper - GAME OF THE WEEK! Very interesting matchup that could go either way. Both teams playing solid football lately. Jasper seems to always roll into the playoffs firing on all cylinders but is coming off a heart-breaking loss to Castle. North has seemed to figure some things out as the season progressed. Jasper will struggle to move the ball against North's run defense, but the key will be if they can wear those big bubbas out. I will take the Huskies by 1 score.

Castle at Central - Worst matchup of the week. The Bears lost their chance to win a game last week so they have basically guaranteed a winless season. Castle could really pick their score in this one, but will the Bears score at all against a suspect Castle defense? I will take the Knights in a running clock.

Vincennes at Memorial - Would love to see this matchup with both QBs healthy but I lean towards Memorial as the favorite either way. I have a feeling the Tigers will use #4 at QB more and open up the field for their offense. VL really struggled last week against North. Even though Memorial has been giving up points the last two weeks, VL may get shut out for the second week in a row. I will take the Tigers by 3 scores.

5 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Bosse at Reitz - I think Bosse could probably score at least once on any 4A team in the state. With a QB like Wagner and fast receivers, they're bound to break one at some point with his ability to scramble, reverse field, and create plays no defense can prepare for. However, Reitz may have the best defense in the state, so I'm intrigued by this Bosse O vs. Reitz D matchup. And can the Bulldogs score enough to stay in the game? I don't think Reitz will have trouble scoring points. I will take the Panthers by 4 scores.

Mater Dei at Harrison - intriguing matchup here as MD has been struggling and the Warriors are fresh off their first win of the season. I think this one can be close into the 2nd half but ultimately this will be a good opportunity for the young QB Mallory to have a great game. Harrison will have a few of the best athletes on the field, but MD has more talent overall. I will take the Wildcats by 3 scores.

North at Jasper - GAME OF THE WEEK! Very interesting matchup that could go either way. Both teams playing solid football lately. Jasper seems to always roll into the playoffs firing on all cylinders but is coming off a heart-breaking loss to Castle. North has seemed to figure some things out as the season progressed. Jasper will struggle to move the ball against North's run defense, but the key will be if they can wear those big bubbas out. I will take the Huskies by 1 score.

Castle at Central - Worst matchup of the week. The Bears lost their chance to win a game last week so they have basically guaranteed a winless season. Castle could really pick their score in this one, but will the Bears score at all against a suspect Castle defense? I will take the Knights in a running clock.

Vincennes at Memorial - Would love to see this matchup with both QBs healthy but I lean towards Memorial as the favorite either way. I have a feeling the Tigers will use #4 at QB more and open up the field for their offense. VL really struggled last week against North. Even though Memorial has been giving up points the last two weeks, VL may get shut out for the second week in a row. I will take the Tigers by 3 scores.

One can kind of guess a range for one or two score games.  But can you give us a better idea of what three or four scores means?  Hypothetically three scores could mean anywhere from 6 to 24 points, and four scores could be anywhere from 8 to 32 points (i.e., three or four safeties is 6 to 8 points and three to four TDs with 2-point conversion is 24 to 32 points).   A 2 to 8 point range for one score is a minimal difference.  A 4 to 16 point difference for two scores starts to get troublesome.  However ranges of 6 to 24 and 8 to 32 present a marked decrease in utility. 

Any thoughts to the Memorial offense seeming not very well coached this year? RB’s running into each other in split back formations, very limited in how they have spread the ball around, and #5 from what I’ve seen is the 2nd best option on offense and they won’t play him. Defense is well coached as always. The offense doesn’t seem to be. Easy answer is injuries but in limited action #4 made tough throws. Can’t always make square pegs fit in round holes. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, GrayingPanther said:

One can kind of guess a range for one or two score games.  But can you give us a better idea of what three or four scores means?  Hypothetically three scores could mean anywhere from 6 to 24 points, and four scores could be anywhere from 8 to 32 points (i.e., three or four safeties is 6 to 8 points and three to four TDs with 2-point conversion is 24 to 32 points).   A 2 to 8 point range for one score is a minimal difference.  A 4 to 16 point difference for two scores starts to get troublesome.  However ranges of 6 to 24 and 8 to 32 present a marked decrease in utility. 

Sure. When I say scores I’m meaning TDs. So for example when I say 4 scores, as a baseline I’m meaning anywhere from 24-28 (missed PATs/successful PATs). Not accounting for field goals, safeties, 2pt conversions (I think Bosse is the only team that consistently goes for 2). So admittedly, predictions using a “scores” term is fairly broad, but simply evaluating a little more closely rather than just predicting who will win. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Sure. When I say scores I’m meaning TDs. So for example when I say 4 scores, as a baseline I’m meaning anywhere from 24-28 (missed PATs/successful PATs). Not accounting for field goals, safeties, 2pt conversions (I think Bosse is the only team that consistently goes for 2). So admittedly, predictions using a “scores” term is fairly broad, but simply evaluating a little more closely rather than just predicting who will win. 

I like your analysis.  You’re more bullish on the Panthers than I am, but my score depends how well Reitz can defend Wagner.  Otherwise we are in the same ballpark, more or less, for the other games.  I gave Castle the 49 based on a running clock, and no defensive scores.  Unrelated note: Memorial’s third string QB (Bryant?) looked good in the 4th QTR.  Seems like he earned a chance to be the starter (unless/until Fisher is back).

4 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

Any thoughts to the Memorial offense seeming not very well coached this year? RB’s running into each other in split back formations, very limited in how they have spread the ball around, and #5 from what I’ve seen is the 2nd best option on offense and they won’t play him. Defense is well coached as always. The offense doesn’t seem to be. Easy answer is injuries but in limited action #4 made tough throws. Can’t always make square pegs fit in round holes. 

I’ll give you the easy answer. Two Sophs and freshman on OL in several games, RB1 injured and QB1 injured. #5 was very average last year at RB with Rode out. #5 is much better on defense. 
If Tigers win last 2 SIAC games it could be best regular season coaching performance in Hurleys career considering the talent level. 

18 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I’ll give you the easy answer. Two Sophs and freshman on OL in several games, RB1 injured and QB1 injured. #5 was very average last year at RB with Rode out. #5 is much better on defense. 
If Tigers win last 2 SIAC games it could be best regular season coaching performance in Hurleys career considering the talent level. 

This isn’t last year and I’ve watched every game with Rode out and 5 has been the best RB not even close. Oline has held up against everyone except Reitz and that’s the same for every other SIAC team. The vanilla scheme and not playing #4 and #5 is what hurts. Also like I said players were running into each other in the backfield….that’s coaching…Bosse onside kicks it every time and still gets it, that’s coaching..not playing the players who give you the best chance to win is coaching. Even the greats can be off. Clearly this year things seem off. Even when Fisher was in it wasn’t scheme that helped him make throws. It was screen passes and him running around making something happen on his own…

1 minute ago, Evansville50 said:

This isn’t last year and I’ve watched every game with Rode out and 5 has been the best RB not even close. Oline has held up against everyone except Reitz and that’s the same for every other SIAC team. The vanilla scheme and not playing #4 and #5 is what hurts. Also like I said players were running into each other in the backfield….that’s coaching…Bosse onside kicks it every time and still gets it, that’s coaching..not playing the players who give you the best chance to win is coaching. Even the greats can be off. Clearly this year things seem off. Even when Fisher was in it wasn’t scheme that helped him make throws. It was screen passes and him running around making something happen on his own…

Plus I’m tired of hearing about Rode being out. His yards per carry are awful. I just want to see the Tigers get it together. 

20 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

Plus I’m tired of hearing about Rode being out. His yards per carry are awful. I just want to see the Tigers get it together. 

Lol. Not playing 4 and 5.  5 is one of the best DE in SIAC and 4 will get a shot this week most likely. 6-1 and things seem off?  Lol. RB ran into each other 1 time that I recall and the offense wasn’t vanilla until injuries to QB 1.  Not recovering an onside kick is coaches fault?  That’s hilarious! Fisher made it look like Oline held up because he was making plays on the move and moving the pocket. He had no choice but to take off and make plays. I’ll take 6-1 all day with this group. 

Edited by Screagle

2 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Who doesn’t play that’s a great player ? 
Hurley is notorious for sitting out great players. It’s been a big issue at Memorial.  

Here’s my list of great players that have sat the bench at memorial