Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

LaVille at LCC

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

This will be the first meeting between the two teams.  Both teams played Winamac.  LaVille beat Winamac 38-6 and LCC beat them 42-14. Should be a great game.   

It will come down to Lucas Plummer, the kicking game and if LaVille can defend the pass. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hondo17 said:

It will come down to Lucas Plummer, the kicking game and if LaVille can defend the pass. 

Has LaVille played anyone with a passing game like LCC's?

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Has LaVille played anyone with a passing game like LCC's?

Bremen has a QB that threw for over 2k and had one receiver at 700+ and another over 1200 but not sure their skilled guys as a whole are as good as CC's. 

Glenn also had a capable QB and some skilled guys he could throw too but again not sure if they stack up VS LCC. 

Scott Ballentine had 124 yards Passing against LaVille, the 2nd lowest total he had this year. 

So LaVille has faced 3 teams with throwing QBS and went 4-0 against them but one thing LCC has in spades is skilled guys that are very athletic. 

Should be a dandy. 

Edited by hondo17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to beat LCC you have to limit the big play. This was the difference in the Rochester game that won LCC the game. LCC had a long kick return that set up a 20 yard drive. They had a four play drive where they went 80 yards right before half. A 40 yard touchdown pass and an 82 yard touchdown pass. Rochester was also able to get pressure on the QB early that helped a lot. That ended at the end of the first quarter when Rochesters 6'5" 300 lb DT tore his ACL.

In my opinion Laville is very capable on defense to limit LCC's scoring. I just don't know if they will have enough on offense to make it happen. They will need to use Plummer's legs to move the ball in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

If you want to beat LCC you have to limit the big play. This was the difference in the Rochester game that won LCC the game. LCC had a long kick return that set up a 20 yard drive. They had a four play drive where they went 80 yards right before half. A 40 yard touchdown pass and an 82 yard touchdown pass. Rochester was also able to get pressure on the QB early that helped a lot. That ended at the end of the first quarter when Rochesters 6'5" 300 lb DT tore his ACL.

In my opinion Laville is very capable on defense to limit LCC's scoring. I just don't know if they will have enough on offense to make it happen. They will need to use Plummer's legs to move the ball in my opinion.

Yep... Lcc could not stop the run .. also... untimely Penalties didn't help their cause...

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

The closest thing would be Andrean.

11 hours ago, hondo17 said:

Bremen has a QB that threw for over 2k and had one receiver at 700+ and another over 1200 but not sure their skilled guys as a whole are as good as CC's. 

Glenn also had a capable QB and some skilled guys he could throw too but again not sure if they stack up VS LCC. 

Scott Ballentine had 124 yards Passing against LaVille, the 2nd lowest total he had this year. 

So LaVille has faced 3 teams with throwing QBS and went 4-0 against them but one thing LCC has in spades is skilled guys that are very athletic. 

Should be a dandy. 

I've seen LCC play a couple of times this year and I think what you are saying is the part that's hardest to prep for ... stopping/limiting the big play.

LCC's kick return hasn't been all that good this season, although it has been consistent.  Up until the Rochester game, LCC's longest kick return was 26 yards.  Against Rochester, they pulled a 71-yarder.  Similarly, LCC pulls a couple one- or two-play drives that are big in either sparking the team or taking the wind out of an opponent.  Outside of the 3A teams that LCC faced this year, Guerin, West Lafayette, and Heights, they've been able to hit those big plays as well as just standard movement ... Metzger tends to be 100 plus rating when not playing 3A opponents.

I like LCC's odds on the passing side of things if Metzger's on.  Comparing to the LaVille passing opponents:

• Bremen - QB rating of 100.4 with completion rate of 56.5% ... not including the second loss to LaVille. Scored a TD roughly every 6.7 completions.  Roughly 2,190 yards on 11 games.
  • Glenn - QB rating of 60.4 with completion rate of 50.2% ... not including the loss to LaVille. Scored a TD roughly every 9.5 completions.  Roughly 1,150 yards on 11 games.
  • Andrean - QB rating of 88.5 with a completion rate of roughly 56%.  Scored a TD roughly every 11.5 completions.  Roughly 1,700 yards on 10 games.

Metzger's comparison is QB rating of roughly 108 with completion rate of 50.2% not including second Seeger game.  Scored a TD roughly every 6.9 completions.  Roughly 2,540 yards on 11 games.  Four receivers with 300 or more yards a game and a total of over a dozen targets for the season.

If LaVille can shut down the pass, then that puts LCC in a bind ... although most teams think about shutting down the pass being with their secondary and LCC's really good at exploiting LB coverage and screens, so the linebackers need to be very in tune to the passing game.  If, as @First_Backer_Inside mentioned, LaVille may not have the offense, it could be an issue of how many big plays LCC musters; even if LaVille can impede the passing.

Incidentally, I give LCC the intangibles.  As @Donnie Baker says, that west endzone at LaRocca is good for an 8-point advantage and LCC will have played three of four tournament games at LaRocca come Friday night.  The field should be in really nice condition for a grass field ... and the LCC receivers will be quite aware of the parts that give and the parts that don't.

44 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Incidentally, I give LCC the intangibles.  As @Donnie Baker says, that west endzone at LaRocca is good for an 8-point advantage and LCC will have played three of four tournament games at LaRocca come Friday night.  The field should be in really nice condition for a grass field ... and the LCC receivers will be quite aware of the parts that give and the parts that don't.

<pro-turf>  LaVille should submit an immediate petition to the IHSAA to have this game moved to Scheumann Stadium. </pro-turf>  

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I've seen LCC play a couple of times this year and I think what you are saying is the part that's hardest to prep for ... stopping/limiting the big play.

LCC's kick return hasn't been all that good this season, although it has been consistent.  Up until the Rochester game, LCC's longest kick return was 26 yards.  Against Rochester, they pulled a 71-yarder.  Similarly, LCC pulls a couple one- or two-play drives that are big in either sparking the team or taking the wind out of an opponent.  Outside of the 3A teams that LCC faced this year, Guerin, West Lafayette, and Heights, they've been able to hit those big plays as well as just standard movement ... Metzger tends to be 100 plus rating when not playing 3A opponents.

I like LCC's odds on the passing side of things if Metzger's on.  Comparing to the LaVille passing opponents:

• Bremen - QB rating of 100.4 with completion rate of 56.5% ... not including the second loss to LaVille. Scored a TD roughly every 6.7 completions.  Roughly 2,190 yards on 11 games.
  • Glenn - QB rating of 60.4 with completion rate of 50.2% ... not including the loss to LaVille. Scored a TD roughly every 9.5 completions.  Roughly 1,150 yards on 11 games.
  • Andrean - QB rating of 88.5 with a completion rate of roughly 56%.  Scored a TD roughly every 11.5 completions.  Roughly 1,700 yards on 10 games.

Metzger's comparison is QB rating of roughly 108 with completion rate of 50.2% not including second Seeger game.  Scored a TD roughly every 6.9 completions.  Roughly 2,540 yards on 11 games.  Four receivers with 300 or more yards a game and a total of over a dozen targets for the season.

If LaVille can shut down the pass, then that puts LCC in a bind ... although most teams think about shutting down the pass being with their secondary and LCC's really good at exploiting LB coverage and screens, so the linebackers need to be very in tune to the passing game.  If, as @First_Backer_Inside mentioned, LaVille may not have the offense, it could be an issue of how many big plays LCC musters; even if LaVille can impede the passing.

Be my guess...Andrean's  QB rating of 88.5 is quite comparable to Lcc givin the level of competition faced. The Lancers advanced... I'd expect a very close game ... darn ole Intangibles may decide it... btw Foxbat... Donnie Baker didn't say hm field was worth 8pts.... I did.. LoL

8 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Be my guess...Andrean's  QB rating of 88.5 is quite comparable to Lcc givin the level of competition faced. The Lancers advanced... I'd expect a very close game ... darn ole Intangibles may decide it... btw Foxbat... Donnie Baker didn't say hm field was worth 8pts.... I did.. LoL

Laville caught Andrean on a perfect night. Light rain, torn up field, really leveled the athleticism advantage I think Andrean had over Laville. I don't think Laville will be getting that lucky this week.

9 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Mea culpa!

There are some similarities in you and Donnie ... you just don't swear to God as much. I swear to God you don't. :classic_smile:

BTW, I just noticed a copy/paste error when I did LCC's completion rate which is a tad over 63%.

1 minute ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Laville caught Andrean on a perfect night. Light rain, torn up field, really leveled the athleticism advantage I think Andrean had over Laville. I don't think Laville will be getting that lucky this week.

Yes...def not ideal... However LaVille Can pass the ball... had the Zebra Qb been able to hit an open receiver in the West End Zone.. Lcc dose not advance... 

4 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Field should be pretty much like playing on turf.  Weather looks like very minimal chance of precipitation (2-5%).

To get an idea of field condition, you can take a look at https://www.maxpreps.com/in/lafayette/lafayette-central-catholic-knights/football/media/videos/  and select the Rochester game.  LCC played away this past Friday.

1 minute ago, BendNotBreak said:

Yes...def not ideal... However LaVille Can pass the ball... had the Zebra Qb been able to hit an open receiver in the West End Zone.. Lcc dose not advance... 

True, there were a lot of ifs for the Zebras that would have them playing right now, the pick thrown in the first half inside the red zone didn't help either. The holding call at the end of the third quarter was in my opinion the biggest killer for the Zebras. It hurt even more when it was sent to the crew from that night and we were told they missed that call. OUCH! But at the end of the day, the Knights made big plays when they needed to to advance. Which is what I think they will do against Laville as well. If you haven't watched Laville play a lot of Plummer's yards passing in my opinion come off of either the athleticism of his receivers going and getting the football over a defender, or him using his legs to stay alive in the pocket to either scramble for yards or wait for someone to get open. Either way he's not really your typical drop back passer and staying in the pocket doesn't play to his strengths in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Field should be pretty much like playing on turf.  Weather looks like very minimal chance of precipitation (2-5%).

To get an idea of field condition, you can take a look at https://www.maxpreps.com/in/lafayette/lafayette-central-catholic-knights/football/media/videos/  and select the Rochester game.  LCC played away this past Friday.

I was on it for the entire 48 minutes and warmups. Like playing on a golf fairway! Also got to play on it two or three times against Coy Cronk and Jackson Anthrop! Don't have a lot of good memories stepping onto LaRocca lol

Edited by First_Backer_Inside

26 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Just that end zone. The spirits of 76

7 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Btw... that Zebea Qb was very very good at what they do... they just don't pass the ball.... I believe Plummer can.....

Very true, only a sophomore, a lot more football in front of him. Plummer has been playing since he was a freshman and now is a senior. The game just slows down so much for those types of guys by the time they get to that senior year.

3 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I was on it for the entire 48 minutes and warmups. Like playing on a golf fairway! Also got to play on it two or three times against Coy Cronk and Jackson Anthrop! Don't have a lot of good memories stepping onto LaRocca lol

I imagine not if it was across from those LCC teams with Cronk and Jackson on them.

• Like 1