Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Conference Indiana (what's left of it)

50 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

This, to me, is still the weirdest conference remaining. It's like the remainder of the great Conference Indiana with two MIC paste ons that don't belong. Then again, where does Terre Haute North and South go if not for this conference?

Agree. If this conference goes away, the Terre Haute schools would be the ones that would be between a rock and a hard place because of geography. I don't think that Southport, B-North and South, and Col. N. would much of a problem hooking on to another conference, or possibly forming a new conference, again giving the geography. I don't know how realistic it would be to form a new conference since they would have to raid other conferences to add members. That's just my knee-jerk quick thought on it and I really haven't pondered it much until this thread arose. 

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

Geography has become irrelevant in college athletics, might as well filter it down to the high school level.

idk, but colleges are in a far better position to handle the transportations costs of the travel and with most high school sports having events during the school week like with basketball, etc., students could be getting back pretty late with a school day coming up if they have to travel say two hours one way. Although school districts lock into contracts for fuel costs that can go a few years, the cost of fuel is again starting to rise again, so there's that.  Anyway, getting back to CI, it's been kicked around on the threads about conference realignments with most of it being speculation, and fans like to discuss possible realignments, so I'm fine with those discussions. However, I'm not going to worry about CI until something actually happens. 

4 hours ago, ptr said:

Agree. If this conference goes away, the Terre Haute schools would be the ones that would be between a rock and a hard place because of geography. I don't think that Southport, B-North and South, and Col. N. would much of a problem hooking on to another conference, or possibly forming a new conference, again giving the geography. I don't know how realistic it would be to form a new conference since they would have to raid other conferences to add members. That's just my knee-jerk quick thought on it and I really haven't pondered it much until this thread arose. 

Wonder if it'd be something like Harrison and McCutcheon joining up with THN/THS and perhaps toss in a couple of others like West Lafayette and Lebanon.  Harrison had THS on the schedule for a couple of years along with Westfield before trading for West Lafayette and Plainfield. 

Wouldn't be ideal for the bigger schools, but it's not like the NCC was doing all that much for Harrison anyway ... outside of Jeff.  Could probably still schedule Jeff as an out-of-conference team.  Maybe look at playing one or more of the Catholic schools too as out-of-conference.  Chatard has played Harrison on its undercards for a few years.  They could replace Tech on their schedule with Harrison.  Maybe add in Brebeuf who could replace Tri-West or Marian with Harrison.  Brebeuf already plays THN and THS and has also played Harrison on undercards.  Of course, you'd have to convince WL to bolt the HC, but stranger things have happened ... and West Lafayette already plays McCutcheon and Harrison on their out-of-conference schedule.

Again, not a great solution for Harrison/McCutcheon, but right now they are without a conference and if THN/THS are also out looking, the Island of Misfit Toys might end up being better than possibly getting split or staying independent for several years.

33 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Wonder if it'd be something like Harrison and McCutcheon joining up with THN/THS and perhaps toss in a couple of others like West Lafayette and Lebanon.  Harrison had THS on the schedule for a couple of years along with Westfield before trading for West Lafayette and Plainfield. 

Wouldn't be ideal for the bigger schools, but it's not like the NCC was doing all that much for Harrison anyway ... outside of Jeff.  Could probably still schedule Jeff as an out-of-conference team.  Maybe look at playing one or more of the Catholic schools too as out-of-conference.  Chatard has played Harrison on its undercards for a few years.  They could replace Tech on their schedule with Harrison.  Maybe add in Brebeuf who could replace Tri-West or Marian with Harrison.  Brebeuf already plays THN and THS and has also played Harrison on undercards.  Of course, you'd have to convince WL to bolt the HC, but stranger things have happened ... and West Lafayette already plays McCutcheon and Harrison on their out-of-conference schedule.

Again, not a great solution for Harrison/McCutcheon, but right now they are without a conference and if THN/THS are also out looking, the Island of Misfit Toys might end up being better than possibly getting split or staying independent for several years.

Lebanon, Tri-West, and Danville will be free agents when the Sagamore splits

If there was a South Central Conference 2.0 created, I’d like to see these five schools in it:

Columbus North

Columbus East

Bloomington North

Bloomington South

Seymour

I would then like to see one or both of these schools in it as well to make it a six or seven team conference:

Southport

Bedford North Lawrence

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foxbat said:

Harrison and McCutcheon will most likely be added to Sagamore with TW, Danville, and Lebanon.  Also, hearing other possibilities are West Lafayette, Greenwood, and Southport.  Not a big fan of Greenwood and/or Southport, but both school are a bad fit for current conferences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

If there was a South Central Conference 2.0 created, I’d like to see these five schools in it:

Columbus North

Columbus East

Bloomington North

Bloomington South

Seymour

I would then like to see one or both of these schools in it as well to make it a six or seven team conference:

Southport

Bedford North Lawrence

I think I’d consider any Mid-State Conference schools and Franklin Central as well. Pretty much any 4A school or bigger (sans Center Grove and private/parochial schools) south of I-465, north of US 50, and with Bloomington and Columbus as the west and east boundaries. That’s a nice rectangle encompassing 16 eligible schools.

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Columbus North

Columbus East

Bloomington North

Bloomington South

Seymour

Southport

Bedford North Lawrence

You leave our dear HHC alone! Lol. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a conference like that.  The drive to Terra Haute is a haul for a conference game.  I'm sure they feel the same about driving to Columbus.

My understanding is the Terre Haute schools are the reason for why Columbus East turned down a Conference Indiana invite.

1 minute ago, Panther25 said:

You leave our dear HHC alone! Lol. 

I love the HHC but I feel like things have changed since it formed 50 years ago. Madison was getting smaller and had to leave because they couldn’t keep up. I fear Jennings County is getting that way too. Columbus East fit in well for the longest time but I feel like we now fit in better with the cities and Indy suburban schools in south-central Indiana. And with the way Seymour is growing, I feel like they’re on their way as well. I’m iffy on BNL. They’re shrinking quickly. Not sure if they should stay or go. Problem is, they’re on the outskirts of HHC territory and losing Seymour would hurt them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a conference like that.  The drive to Terra Haute is a haul for a conference game.  I'm sure they feel the same about driving to Columbus.

Where is the link to the thread?

Sorry.  I thought I was still in the HHC tread for some reason.  I was in it, then out.

17 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

My understanding is the Terre Haute schools are the reason for why Columbus East turned down a Conference Indiana invite.

Not a bad move because that drive sucks!

3 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Bedford NL at Bloomington North, 7 pm

Columbus North at Columbus East, 7 pm

Martinsville at Bloomington South, 8 pm

Perry Meridian at Southport, 7 pm

Terre Haute North at Crispus Attucks, 7:30 pm

Terre Haute South at Floyd Central, 7 pm

Doing a Conference Indiana pick ‘em?

If you are starting a 2nd week pick'em then I will jump in there and make predictions. 

BNL @ Bloomington North - The Stars led the Arties for much of the game but were worn down the Arties running back in the 4th who went over 200 yards for the game. North by 2 TDs.

Columbus North @ Columbus East - Both teams lost their season opener, but the Bull Dogs look to be the more complete team at this early point in the season. North by 2 TDs.

Martinsville @ Bloomington South - The Arties had a big game on the ground against BNL in their 4th qtr comeback, but South has a very good front seven. South by at least 3 TDS.

Perry Meridian @ Southport - Southport appears to be heading for another abysmal season, but I don't know much about PM so I won't try to predict a margin.

Terre Haute North @ Indy Crispus Attucks - Both teams lost big last week with Attucks losing to FW Wayne 35-12, while TH North got annihilated by Northview, 48-16. This is a tough one but I will go with THN in a close road win without predicting a margin.

Terre Haute South @ Floyd Central - Both teams lost last week with FC losing to a ranked Louisville Saint X team, while THS lost an early lead against Plainfield and lost by 19 points. With THS having to take an extremely long road trip to FC, I will go with the Highlanders by 10 points, and the Highlanders appear to be one of the better teams in the HHC although that conference looks to be headed for another down year with Seymour being the best team. 

Edited by ptr