Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Illinois Playoff Proposals

Illinois had previously voted to change their football structure from a conference structure with qualifying on a complicated formula to a district structure where teams are assigned to districts (similar to our sectionals) and qualify based on the round robin scheduling of the teams in the district. It barely passed. The most recent proposal restores conferences and expands the number of teams in the playoffs.

https://football.dailyherald.com/sports/20191010/new-football-playoff-proposal-goes-to-ihsa

58 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Illinois had previously voted to change their football structure from a conference structure with qualifying on a complicated formula to a district structure where teams are assigned to districts (similar to our sectionals) and qualify based on the round robin scheduling of the teams in the district. It barely passed. The most recent proposal restores conferences and expands the number of teams in the playoffs.

https://football.dailyherald.com/sports/20191010/new-football-playoff-proposal-goes-to-ihsa

Knowing Illinois, it will be heavily taxed...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Thanks for filling us in.

You need to chill dude.  That long commute must be wearing you down.  Ill stop by on 41 next time I am in town and we can have a beer and talk SN Rebel Contraction, or football, whatever you prefer.😁

3 minutes ago, DT said:

You need to chill dude.  That long commute must be wearing you down.  Ill stop by on 41 next time I am in town and we can have a beer and talk SN Rebel Contraction, or football, whatever you prefer.😁

I'd prefer you not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DT said:

I would expect a good number of week 9 forfeits from schools who miss the playoffs.  

This is an ignorant post at best, and at worst it is moronic. 

If you had bothered reading the article you would know that Illinois week 9 is a playoff week. 

If you were referring to Indiana week 9 you have no factual basis to make such a statement. Name a team that you know who forfeited a game because they were going to miss the playoffs. I don’t know of it happening, even in the cluster days. This shows a tremendous disconnect from the players, coaches, and fans that I know. 

It does help me to understand you tilting at windmills while talking about your pie in the sky “Contraction Doctrine”. 

Edited by SenatorFan
Mispelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

If you had bothered reading the article you would know that Illinois week 9 is a playoff week. 

If you were referring to Indiana week 9 you have no factual basis to make such a statement. Name a team that you know who forfeited a game because they were going to miss the playoffs. I don’t know of it happening, even in the cluster days. This shows a tremendous disconnect from the players, coaches, and fans that I know. 

It does help me to understand you tilting at windmills while talking about your pie in the sky “Contraction Doctrine”. 

I did read the article.  You should take another look.  I believe it stated that week 9 would be the first week of playoffs for teams who qualify.  It would also be the last week of the regular season for this teams who did not qualify.  This gives all schools at least 9 weeks of competition as the regular season is just down to 8 games

Take another look my friend

On 10/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, Boilernation said:

Interesting. Mt. Carmel may have bolted the Big 8 prematurely. Of course, their exit created the domino effect of the SIAC and Pocket absorbing what was left of the Big 8.

I think Mt. Carmel leaving the Big 8 was in their best interest anyway, and it will lead to a better grouping of schools in the remaining conferences.  Mt. Carmel would have honestly been a better fit in the Pocket than the Big 8.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, DT said:

I would expect a good number of week 9 forfeits from schools who miss the playoffs.  

We have playoff qualifications in TX.  In the 13 years I've lived here I cannot recall hearing of one team in the central TX area, who knew ahead of time they wouldn't make the playoffs, forfeiting a game.  Not to say it has never happened but it would be the exception, not the rule, and by a very wide margin.

Reading the article, I understand it that teams not qualifying for the playoffs would play their final regular season games.  IMHO this would be ideal for non-qualifiers since there would be a much better chance of facing a team they match up well with.  A final chance for one of the schools to end the season on a positive note.

My $0.02

22 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

Don’t worry about DT: powerless windbag...

he has no juice whatsoever 

17 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

We have playoff qualifications in TX.  In the 13 years I've lived here I cannot recall hearing of one team in the central TX area, who knew ahead of time they wouldn't make the playoffs, forfeiting a game.  Not to say it has never happened but it would be the exception, not the rule, and by a very wide margin.

Reading the article, I understand it that teams not qualifying for the playoffs would play their final regular season games.  IMHO this would be ideal for non-qualifiers since there would be a much better chance of facing a team they match up well with.  A final chance for one of the schools to end the season on a positive note.

My $0.02

You make more sense that that loser from Highland...

29 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

My $0.02

Illinois is not Texas.  We have much more brutal weather to deal with at that time of year.  I would not be at all surprised to schools with no numbers, or schools more focused on winter sports, take a pass on that meaningless final game, rather than risk injury or to the extra expense to play a meaningless game.  Just my two cents as well.  

6 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

For the purpose of student athletics, they are. Why should the football team have to qualify for playoffs when the basketball team does not?

Perhaps because football and basketball are different? “One size fits all” simply means that, in most cases, the fit won’t be optimal. For example, when I was in HS, there was no football tournament, but there was certainly a basketball tournament. But as a football player, I didn’t feel cheated, or discriminated against. That’s just the way it was.

3 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

I think Mt. Carmel leaving the Big 8 was in their best interest anyway, and it will lead to a better grouping of schools in the remaining conferences.  Mt. Carmel would have honestly been a better fit in the Pocket than the Big 8.

Mt. Carmel is not the be all/end all of high school athletics in Illinois.  New Trier, the Hinsdale, Naperville, and most Chicago-area schools have much more juice that some rural downstate school.