Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Other 6A Semi-State: Merrillville @ Carmel

11-1 Merrillville travels down I-65 to play 9-3 Carmel in the non-marquee 6A matchup. Are there any Pirates fans on here that could shed some light on the team? It sounds like they have some high end, D1 level talent on the offensive side of the ball. It appears to be a pretty incredible turnaround from the poor seasons they had just a couple years ago. A couple of prominent Greyhound players are dealing with some injuries and might be questionable Friday.

Does Merrillville have the depth to knock off the MIC schools? Can Carmel's D continue to carry them and take them back to LOS? Does anyone around here even care?

Should be a good game.

16 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Not sure if they still do but I believe Merrillville uses 2 different quarterbacks, at least they were earlier in the season

They did against Warsaw last week. One is the passing QB and the other is the option QB. Merrillville's lines are huge. The O-Line is anchored by 6'7 320 Minnesota commit Martes Lewis at LT. He looked like Michael Oher in the BlindSide last week pushing around the much smaller Warsaw front 7. The D-Line is anchored by 6'4 335 So. DT Kenneth Grant. They have a lot of speed at WR that they try to get in the open field on sweeps and short passes. 6'0 Northern Illinois recruit Jeremiah Howard is a deep threat at WR. He has great hands and leeping ability. I've seen quite a few Merrillville and Carmel games. Merrillviille might be able to hang around for a quarter or so like Homestead did. But, similar to Homestead, if Merrillville can't break through offensively it will get ugly very quickly. I don't think the Pirates can stop the Carmel running game. The one thing I really liked about Homestead is they have a legit D1 caliber QB and stable of tall and talented ball catchers. Carmel held them to one TD. Merrillville's downfield passing game isn't close to being as good as Homestead's, so I'm not very optimistic regarding the Pirates ability to throw the ball on Carmel. 

My guess is Carmel by about 20-30. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I don't think the Pirates can stop the Carmel running game

FWIW - Warsaw jumped out to a 21-7 lead on Merrillville before turning the ball over 4 times in the 2nd quarter that let the Pirates take a 28-21 lead into halftime. However, the Tigers were not able to run the ball nearly as effectively as they did the week before against Penn when they rushed for 417 yards. Merrillville held Warsaw to like 175 total rushing yards on the night. Not trying to compare Warsaw's rushing game to Carmel's, but as a predominately rushing offense, the Pirates held the Tigers in check for the most part.

I like your confidence but Carmel might be missing a couple of very key guys in the backfield. The offense really struggled heavily at times before they made the QB switch, and that's being polite. If Merrillville can stop the run Carmel might find themselves in a position where the defense is going to take over yet again and completely dominate to keep them in it.

I see Carmel wearing down Merrillville like they did Homestead. Carmel is big and physical. What really impressed me about Carmel was their ability to shut down Homestead in the red zone. They did it twice in the first half. Maybe that was the strategy.............don't give up the big play (although Homestead did almost score on first play from scrimmage) and tighten up in the red zone. 

Same score as last week.....................31-7.

32 minutes ago, Da Region said:

I have not watched any of Carmel's games this year, but, would you say they are better than they were last year? 

I heard in the off season that they were supposed to be better this year. Then they struggled early on and middle. Now they are playing like a typical Carmel state championship team. I'd like to hear what someone from Indy has to say about this question. 

36 minutes ago, Da Region said:

I have not watched any of Carmel's games this year, but, would you say they are better than they were last year? 

Since making the switch at QB I would say yes they're better (but much of that is due to just how bad and ineffective the offense was last year/the first 6 weeks of the season). Christian Williams has brought some much need confidence back to the offense. His speed and athleticism has opened up space for the trio of running backs and he's proven to be a more than capable passer too. He's not going to come out and throw for 300 yards but he's accurate enough 20 yards and in to keep defenses honest and throws a very soft, catchable ball.  Since the midseason switch under center, they've been averaging close to 30 points per game despite the starters not playing in the 4th in about half of those games. It's been night and day since he's taken over which is why injuries are such a concern at the moment. They're probably not going to go out and hang 70 on anybody but with their defense that's not really necessary. If they can continue to control the line of scrimmage, protect the ball, chew up yards between the tackles and stay in front of the down/distance they'll be in decent shape.

The defense is playing at a similar level to what we saw last year and still the strength of the team . The linebacking corp is possibly the best in the state and has several guys that will be playing at the next level. The run D has been pretty strong as a whole but considering the 3 other teams left it's going to have continue to rise to the occasion.

15 hours ago, BTF said:

I heard in the off season that they were supposed to be better this year. Then they struggled early on and middle. Now they are playing like a typical Carmel state championship team. I'd like to hear what someone from Indy has to say about this question. 

Like their MIC counterparts, Carmel really seemed to find themselves and hit their stride early in October.  The Hounds were REALLY struggling to find consistency on offense and moved a WR (name is escaping me and I am too lazy to look it up) to QB and after struggling at North Central and BD, really started to fire, starting with dominating Warren.  Their D has been solid all season but the offense was not holding up their end of the bargain.  Now that both sides of the ball are flexing their muscles, they will be a tough out.

I for see a long bus ride home for the Pirates.

Edited by Guest

On 11/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, vicvinegar said:

I think Carmel is the best team in 6A. I have thought this for about the last month.That said, I think the Pirates are a lot better than some of you are giving them credit for. I believe Carmel pulls it out, but I think it's still a game during the 4th quarter.  

Agree that this could be closer than many are expecting. Also love the It's Always Sunny reference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, javaswat01 said:

Agree that this could be closer than many are expecting. Also love the It's Always Sunny reference. 

Merrillville is a good football team. They have the talent to hang around, but I am not sure if they have the discipline. So far they have been able to overcome penalties and turnovers, that will not be the case on Friday. They will need to play a clean game for 4 quarters, something they haven't put together just yet. 

• Like 1

Khris Walton for Merrillville will be a factor in this he is one of the best defensive players I have seen in country. I think this game will be closer then most ppl think Merrillville could win, but its always hard to pick 2215 enrollment over 5057. Winner of the state title comes from this game. 

Ill say Merrillville 28

Carmel 24

Edited by Ryan11p
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan11p said:

Khris Walton for Merrillville will be a factor in this he is one of the best defensive players I have seen in country. I think this game will be closer then most ppl think Merrillville could win, but its always hard to pick 2215 enrollment over 5057. Winner of the state title comes from this game. 

Ill say Merrillville 28

Carmel 24

Is Walton the DE? Did you happen to see them play at all this year? Curious as to what type of offense they run and who (other than Walton) are the players to keep an eye on.

7 minutes ago, javaswat01 said:

Is Walton the DE? Did you happen to see them play at all this year? Curious as to what type of offense they run and who (other than Walton) are the players to keep an eye on.

I spent time coaching at Hobart and live there so I'm a huge supporter of the Brickies. At playoff time I support all the region teams I would suggest that you watch some film on them Region Sports Network has several games you could watch. They are packed full of Athletes all over the field and base concept is a spread but I would rather not give you a full breakdown or my opinions on the players.

Edited by Ryan11p

15 minutes ago, Ryan11p said:

Ill say Merrillville 28

Carmel 24

Mr. Brevard would like to have a word with you...

22 minutes ago, javaswat01 said:

Obviously the future potential is there but is even currently the best player on that D?

yeah if your a Merrilliville fan this Carmel team D is crazy.  Dominic Padjen, Ty Wise, Garrett Sharp, along with Brevard  are just the tip of the iceberg with this team. I'm very excited to see where these great players go to college. 

1 hour ago, Ryan11p said:

Ill say Merrillville 28

Carmel 24

As a former Duneland player I applaud your optimism and hyperbole towards all Region teams.  But, this one will be over by halftime. 

26 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

As a former Duneland player I applaud your optimism and hyperbole towards all Region teams.  But, this one will be over by halftime. 

I def disagree with the use of hyperbole in regards to my post lol. You of all ppl should have a bit more faith 2018 Purdue over my Buckeyes? 1979 Brickies over Penn? It could happen that's why we play the games.