Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carson Steele picks up first offer from Indiana State

I’ll start with a hypothetical then:

Taking health out of the equation, switch rosters and place Steele at New Pal and Spegal at Center Grove.

What, if anything, changes from both a team and individual (statistics) standpoint?

4 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Carson Steele is his own.  Charlie Spegal is his own.  Not fair to compare.

I think this is the 1st of many D1 offers.  If he is able to return to being the back he was before injuries he will be highly sought after by many non-P5 schools (and I think a few P5 schools).

🙄

5 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Carson Steele is his own.  Charlie Spegal is his own.  Not fair to compare.

I think this is the 1st of many D1 offers.  If he is able to return to being the back he was before injuries he will be highly sought after by many non-P5 schools (and I think a few P5 schools).

Well sure you can compare them. Both have a unique set of skills that could work better in one offense or another.

Charlie and Carson share one unfortunate trait.  A lack of open field speed.

Steele is not listed on the Top 15 Indiana Class of 2021, which ranges from 4 star to 2 star players.  He is likely a 1 star back, rated below Spegal at this point in their careers.

Steele is likely to have the better college career as Indiana State is an excellent potential fit.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

40 minutes ago, DT said:

Steele is not listed on the Top 15 Indiana Class of 2021, which ranges from 4 star to 2 star players.  He is likely a 1 star back, rated below Spegal at this point in their careers.

Steele is likely to have the better college career as Indiana State is an excellent potential fit.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Being injured his whole junior season did no favors for Steele. Could be a 3 or 4 star back by next year POSSIBLY.

8 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Being injured his whole junior season did no favors for Steele. Could be a 3 or 4 star back by next year POSSIBLY.

Very nice player.  But I dont see him getting that high of a rating.  

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Carson is athletic and in my opinion could play both sides of the ball at the next level. 

I saw him make a run vs Warren Central in SS I believe, that I’ve never seen before. 

He was running off tackle to the right. He ran, ducked, and cut *BETWEEN* his end of the line blocker and the man he was engaged with. 

I had to replay it multiple times to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me. 

I’m no expert like these gurus who get paid to “rate” kids, but yeah, he’s plenty athletic. 

Congrats young man. Best wishes. 

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Austin Booker (Jr) and Caden Curry (So) both picked up offers from Iowa today. Both are on the DL for Center Grove. 

Prediction :

CG wins 2020 and 2021 6A state championships

Moore's best ever team might be the 2020 group.

15 hours ago, DT said:

1. A lack of open field speed yet fast enough to out run Ben Davis, Warren Central, Cathedral, plus other MIC defenders for long TD runs on several occasions. One heck of a shifty back too.

2. Of course he wouldn't be listed in the top 15 right now he only played 3 games his Junior season. His body of work as a Freshman and Sophomore was pretty darn good. I think you will see him jump into the top 10 for Indiana Class of 2021 if he stays healthy.

3. Difficult to compare Spegal's Junior year to Steele's Junior year because Steele only played 3 games. If you want to compare their Freshman and Soph years we can 

Spegal Freshman 356 carries 1,958 yds 17 TD's

Spegal Sophomore 327 carries 2,385 yds 33 TD's

Steele Freshman 272 carries 1,703 yds 20 TD

Steele Sophomore 367 carries 2,270 yds 29 TD

Compare away

• Like 2

Steele is MUCH better than Spegal. What Steele has done in the MIC should be weighted much higher than what Spegal has done in the HHC, and that competition will transfer well to college.  I think being hurt his Junior year actually HELPS Steele because who knows how beat up he would be after the CG state run.

What Spegal has done at New Pal is great, but Steele is the better RB.  I think D1 teams are hesitant to offer Steele because his workload has been crazy at CG, and they are worried about his long-term health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Steele is MUCH better than Spegal. What Steele has done in the MIC should be weighted much higher than what Spegal has done in the HHC, and that competition will transfer well to college.  I think being hurt his Junior year actually HELPS Steele because who knows how beat up he would be after the CG state run.

What Spegal has done at New Pal is great, but Steele is the better RB.  I think D1 teams are hesitant to offer Steele because his workload has been crazy at CG, and they are worried about his long-term health.

got my popcorn ready.......

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

1. A lack of open field speed yet fast enough to out run Ben Davis, Warren Central, Cathedral, plus other MIC defenders for long TD runs on several occasions. One heck of a shifty back too.

2. Of course he wouldn't be listed in the top 15 right now he only played 3 games his Junior season. His body of work as a Freshman and Sophomore was pretty darn good. I think you will see him jump into the top 10 for Indiana Class of 2021 if he stays healthy.

3. Difficult to compare Spegal's Junior year to Steele's Junior year because Steele only played 3 games. If you want to compare their Freshman and Soph years we can 

Spegal Freshman 356 carries 1,958 yds 17 TD's

Spegal Sophomore 327 carries 2,385 yds 33 TD's

Steele Freshman 272 carries 1,703 yds 20 TD

Steele Sophomore 367 carries 2,270 yds 29 TD

Compare away

Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  

Now that I have been given permission to compare, back to my original question.  Switch rosters and place Spegal at CG and Steele at New Pal.  What's different from a team/individual perspective in your opinion?

3 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Thru their junior seasons, Spegal had 1001 carries.  Steele has had 703.

they seem like very different backs to me

Steele is 6'2" 210 lbs

Spegal is 5'10" 225 lbs