Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Schools Pausing or Cancelled the Fall

The BMI chart????? seriously???? I have to cover this in my class. To put it simply; the chart says if you are X ft. X inches tall, you should ideally weigh XXX. This chart is so obsolete, I cannot imagine an era when it would have ever been an accurate measure of health.

That said, it appears that this topic has not become about Rochester any more; and just another place for both sides to express repeated claims made on the other what? 50 topics now locked on the virus??? 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, PhilLee said:

Just to show how completely idiotic this decision is...

Adams County has a grand total of 81 cases. Total.  In 5 months.  Their current % positive rate is 2.9%.  They have had a grand total of 2 deaths.  One in early April and one in mid July.  

Their in-over-his-head health officer for the county, Micheal Ainsworth had this gem of a comment in the story...

The only "light at the end of the tunnel" is a train of stupidity rolling over the top of us that is ruining society. 

Thank you! And he said if the rate goes up, they may have to move to no fans. He’s gonna freak out going from 2.9% to 3%? He’s a coward only looking out for his own ass. And one the first Covid death was a guy had a heart attack and happened to also have Covid. 

21 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

Thank you! And he said if the rate goes up, they may have to move to no fans. He’s gonna freak out going from 2.9% to 3%? He’s a coward only looking out for his own ass. And one the first Covid death was a guy had a heart attack and happened to also have Covid. 

Of course he did.  People who have no idea what they are doing, say idiotic things like that and think it makes great sense.

Adams County is only testing about 20 people per day (its a small county so that's not a big deal for that low a number; most small population counties without literally any cases or anyone in a hospital are the same) so all it would literally take is one more positive case to move the rolling average up.  And give this moron the chance to wield more power.

But, its OK.  Its just high school sports.  I'm sure these schools have plenty of other ways to pay for stuff without the revenue they receive from football games.  And just because your football season or volleyball season are basically ruined to the point that it doesn't even feel like a high school sport anymore, that's no biggie.  You have so many other years in life to play high school sports with kids you grew up with.  

7 hours ago, PhilLee said:

Of course he did.  People who have no idea what they are doing, say idiotic things like that and think it makes great sense.

Adams County is only testing about 20 people per day (its a small county so that's not a big deal for that low a number; most small population counties without literally any cases or anyone in a hospital are the same) so all it would literally take is one more positive case to move the rolling average up.  And give this moron the chance to wield more power.

But, its OK.  Its just high school sports.  I'm sure these schools have plenty of other ways to pay for stuff without the revenue they receive from football games.  And just because your football season or volleyball season are basically ruined to the point that it doesn't even feel like a high school sport anymore, that's no biggie.  You have so many other years in life to play high school sports with kids you grew up with.  

No one is saying they can't play.  We need to have some accountability.  Our kids need to learn about doing what is best for all.  Go to school, WEAR A MASK/KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE, go to practice, WEAR A MASK (when you can)/KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE (when you can), go home after practice.  Repeat!  If our kids, teachers, and coaches did that we will be able to play!  Just because the number of fans is being limited shouldn't be a problem, if this is about the kids.  Follow the rules and we can have football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

No one is saying they can't play.  We need to have some accountability.  Our kids need to learn about doing what is best for all.  Go to school, WEAR A MASK/KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE, go to practice, WEAR A MASK (when you can)/KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE (when you can), go home after practice.  Repeat!  If our kids, teachers, and coaches did that we will be able to play!  Just because the number of fans is being limited shouldn't be a problem, if this is about the kids.  Follow the rules and we can have football.

The kids also want their friends and family there to cheer them on. This move only be if it’s seniors, and uses 4% of home seating capacity. More can be done and still be safe. And what’s dumb is this was the best compromise the ADs could get, Ainsworth fought hard for zero fans. 

13 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Until Aug 27 does not the state mandate no crowd bigger than 250

Correct, so 190 people below the limit. I’d be fine if the upper limit was 250 people, just don’t make it only 60 people. 

4 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

right now  South Bend NO FANS

I can understand the 4 fans per senior in South Bend, large urban areas should have some more precautions put in place since theres a much larger spread there. But Adams county has had a TOTAL 81 cases in 5 months. That’s barely more than the amount of fans being let in. 

1 hour ago, Thor77 said:

The kids also want their friends and family there to cheer them on. This move only be if it’s seniors, and uses 4% of home seating capacity. More can be done and still be safe. And what’s dumb is this was the best compromise the ADs could get, Ainsworth fought hard for zero fans

I figured that was probably the case if you have good information to confirm this. So now fans will pack each other's houses and watch the webcasts possibly. I could be wrong and more can watch from home by themselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't have good enough internet and started having secret watch parties. I'm hoping it was true that The Berne Witness was going to have 3 channel feeds for all 3 schools this year. Hopefully they can attend the games to view them. Did any decision come about that?

36 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

I can understand the 4 fans per senior in South Bend, large urban areas should have some more precautions put in place since theres a much larger spread there. But Adams county has had a TOTAL 81 cases in 5 months. That’s barely more than the amount of fans being let in. 

Those seniors are gonna have family be in the stands, those kids are gonna be able to have games... That's what you want right? 

12 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

I figured that was probably the case if you have good information to confirm this. So now fans will pack each other's houses and watch the webcasts possibly. I could be wrong and more can watch from home by themselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't have good enough internet and started having secret watch parties. I'm hoping it was true that The Berne Witness was going to have 3 channel feeds for all 3 schools this year. Hopefully they can attend the games to view them. Did any decision come about that?

this is the tweet I saw about the compromise. And how many people are now going to pack the bowling alley? He’s creating worse situations for Covid to spread. 

1 minute ago, TheStatGuy said:

Those seniors are gonna have family be in the stands, those kids are gonna be able to have games... That's what you want right? 

Yes, in the end that’s the main thing. The thing is, we don’t have to restrict as much as we are. It’s all apart of the experience, and these kids deserve as much of it as we can give them. 

2 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

That's the major issue. 

That's why I don't think we should start and I really don't think well finish 

It's the parents or strangers that'll ruin it for the kids. A parent doesn't take proper precautions, gets it..but before they get tested gives it to child.. child goes out and about...spreads it to teammates... strangers and so on..

people who don't take proper precautions.. and think covid isn't serious or real is ruining it for everyone

11 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

this is the tweet I saw about the compromise. And how many people are now going to pack the bowling alley? He’s creating worse situations for Covid to spread. 

Yes, in the end that’s the main thing. The thing is, we don’t have to restrict as much as we are. It’s all apart of the experience, and these kids deserve as much of it as we can give them. 

Well you can thank adults that aren't taking this serious across the nation for ruining sports for kids. 

Serious, legitimate question about the notion of not allowing at least one parent/guardian for all student-athletes in to watch these games: what happens if a student-athlete, let's say a Junior, sustains a serious injury during play? Typically, you would find that student-athlete's parents/guardians to disclose the nature of the injury, treatment, provide options, etc. I understand that there are times where a student-athlete's parents/guardians aren't there to begin with for whatever reason, but in this case you are denying them access. Maybe there are no repercussions, but it still is something that needs to be considered in would think.

20 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Serious, legitimate question about the notion of not allowing at least one parent/guardian for all student-athletes in to watch these games: what happens if a student-athlete, let's say a Junior, sustains a serious injury during play? Typically, you would find that student-athlete's parents/guardians to disclose the nature of the injury, treatment, provide options, etc. I understand that there are times where a student-athlete's parents/guardians aren't there to begin with for whatever reason, but in this case you are denying them access. Maybe there are no repercussions, but it still is something that needs to be considered in would think.

Im sure someone will have that parents cell phone number. 

30 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Im sure someone will have that parents cell phone number. 

Fair enough, and I've seen this done in an instance or two, but I'm guessing you will see a lot of pushback from parents on this one. Keeping students (student sections that is) out makes sense but banning all parents seems a bit much. If we're compromising here, I would rather allow one or two parents for each student-athlete than four for just my Seniors. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Fair enough, and I've seen this done in an instance or two, but I'm guessing you will see a lot of pushback from parents on this one. Keeping students (student sections that is) out makes sense but banning all parents seems a bit much. If we're compromising here, I would rather allow one or two parents for each student-athlete than four for just my Seniors. 

The students are all going to congregate anyway. I’ve heard they plan on being outside the fence with bullhorns, doing the same thing they would be doing. 

Again, I couldn't edit my previous post, but I would be interested to have the take of an AT on this.  My hunch would be that they would prefer to have a parent/guarding there in person to explain an injury rather than over the phone.  I know plenty of typicaly well meaning, rational parents who would loose all cognition after hearing "your son has sustained an injury" over the phone.  If I get the chance, I'll have to ask our AT today at practice what his thoughts would be since I am not sure we have any who are active on the GID (though we may and I just don't know it).

38 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Again, I couldn't edit my previous post, but I would be interested to have the take of an AT on this.  My hunch would be that they would prefer to have a parent/guarding there in person to explain an injury rather than over the phone.  I know plenty of typicaly well meaning, rational parents who would loose all cognition after hearing "your son has sustained an injury" over the phone.  If I get the chance, I'll have to ask our AT today at practice what his thoughts would be since I am not sure we have any who are active on the GID (though we may and I just don't know it).

Most of the waivers that parents sign for athletic activity are written specifically with the assumption that the parent WILL NOT be available in the case of an injury accident and that's how the schools initially expect to handle those incidents when they are in planning for the season.  If parents ARE available, either in person or phone, those items in the waiver can then be overridden at the time of injury.  I would, however, expect that the waivers give fairly explicit indication of how injury is handled with the assumption that parents won't be available ... they usually provide language like the staff is allowed to use their best judgment in action taken.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thor77 said:

Correct, so 190 people below the limit. I’d be fine if the upper limit was 250 people, just don’t make it only 60 people. 

The 250 people include the players, coaches, administrators, workers, and fans.  So the teams would have to limit who came to the game to make room for everyone else.

9 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Most of the waivers that parents sign for athletic activity are written specifically with the assumption that the parent WILL NOT be available in the case of an injury accident and that's how the schools initially expect to handle those incidents when they are in planning for the season.  If parents ARE available, either in person or phone, those items in the waiver can then be overridden at the time of injury.  I would, however, expect that the waivers give fairly explicit indication of how injury is handled with the assumption that parents won't be available ... they usually provide language like the staff is allowed to use their best judgment in action taken.

Fair enough, and kind of what I expected. Still, I'm still going to ask our AT today what his preference would be on having versus not having a parent for each student-athlete accounting for Covid.

Edited by wabashalwaysfights