Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2019

Punttheball

5 hours ago, CoachPeo said:

Injuries take their toll, and when it is time it is time.  

I think this is a trend we are going to see more and more in the future.  It isn't that Luck has started something.  I think players are going to consider their quality of life down the road and pass up on the ""glory".  The mentality has always been "tough guy".  I think that is starting to fade and players are making smarter choices these days.  It sucks for the fans to see their heroes leave the game early, but we have to remember these players are just flesh and bone like the rest of us.  As much as we want them to be superheroes with super powers, in the end they aren't.  I would imagine there are some fans who would rather have seen Luck play, suffer a career ending injury rather than just retire.  Those types just don't get it.

• Like 1

I was not a professional football player, I played Division 3 and suffered numerous injuries.  My Junior year after three knee injuries, two shoulder injuries and a recent back injury, I went to my Head coach to discuss if I wanted to continue playing.  The process of working out in the off season, starting the season, getting hurt, then rehabbing, only to get hurt again wears on you.  You can easily get to a dark place.  I continued to play, but four surgeries by age 36 has really made things difficult.  Everyday I am in pain so I get why Luck walked away.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I think this is a trend we are going to see more and more in the future.  It isn't that Luck has started something.  I think players are going to consider their quality of life down the road and pass up on the ""glory".  The mentality has always been "tough guy".  I think that is starting to fade and players are making smarter choices these days.  It sucks for the fans to see their heroes leave the game early, but we have to remember these players are just flesh and bone like the rest of us.  As much as we want them to be superheroes with super powers, in the end they aren't.  I would imagine there are some fans who would rather have seen Luck play, suffer a career ending injury rather than just retire.  Those types just don't get it.

We need to, players are human beings, not robots...

• Like 1

Caught the game last night with the Bengals.  Overall the defense played well.  The offense looked good in the first half.  Kelly has been impressive in the preseason.  It's time to cut Walker.  I think Hentges will be our 4th tight end.  Speed had a great game.  Won't be surprised if he ends up starting before the season is over.  Looked like another Leonard out there last night.  Phillips and Johnson also played well.  Loved the sack by Snippy.  Was good to see Campbell finally get some action and did well.  Even without neck beard I think the Colts can make the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Game thoughts:  Brissett was fine.  Made some great throws and decisions.  Had one drop by Doyle that was a laser and a tough bang bang throw to Ebron that was ruled incomplete.  The defense had moments,but for the most part was bad.  I thought the run fits were terrible.  Darius Leonard looked the worse I have ever seen him in the run game.  He was swallowed up by the chargers at times and he took poor angles to the point of attack.  Pass rush was good at times.  It seemed that Houston was a non-factor in the 4th quarter.  Special teams were plain bad.  They did come up with a turnover on the muffed punt, but them #4 missed a chip shot field goal.  I am not sure we should be worrying about the offense as much as the other two phases.  Luck would not have made a difference yesterday.  

Edited by Punttheball

17 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Game thoughts:  Brissett was fine.  Made some great throws and decisions.  Had one drop by Doyle that was a laser and a tough bang bang throw to Ebron that was ruled incomplete.  The defense had moments,but for the most part was bad.  I thought the run fits were terrible.  Darius Leonard looked the worse I have ever seen him in the run game.  He was swallowed up by the chargers at times and he took poor angles to the point of attack.  Pass rush was good at times.  It seemed that Houston was a non-factor in the 4th quarter.  Special teams were plain bad.  They did come up with a turnover on the muffed punt, but them #4 missed a chip shot field goal.  I am not sure we should be worrying about the offense as much as the other two phases.  Luck would not have made a difference yesterday.  

You are leaving out one part lol

Marlon Mack is an ABSOLUTE BELLCOW.  What a beast that guy is.  I heard during the Vikings  game “yeah the times of giving a RB 25 carries a game are long over in today’s game”

colts were like “hold my beer” 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

51 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You are leaving out one part lol

Marlon Mack is an ABSOLUTE BELLCOW.  What a beast that guy is.  I heard during the Vikings  game “yeah the times of giving a RB 25 carries a game are long over in today’s game”

colts were like “hold my beer” 

Agree...He definitely got into a grove and the line was clicking.  

We looked weak on the right side of the line in pass protection a few times.

I sat in with Tom Rathman, Colts RB coach and also OC for the Colts in a free coaching clinic offered to Indiana HS football coaches.  (what a great event, first time I have seen Shrimp as an appetizer for a clinic) and to a man, they were talking about Mack and if you do fantasy you better scoop him up!!!   Dude just hasn't been healthy, but he is now and it showed. 

Also, spending 2 hours in the RB room with Rathman will get you going....... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Is yesterday's performance by Mr. Vinatieri hint of things to come?

If mason crosby can miss 4 FGs and an extra point last year to the lions and keep his job, Adam Vinatieri will keep his....he will probably rebound for a huge game this week. 

The man has had a spectacular 24 year career. I’m not going to doubt him now after 1 bad game.  

On 9/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, Muda69 said:

Well, did we all just witness Mr. Vinatieri's last game in a Colt uniform?  Will he retire before next week's game?

Apparently the Indy front office wants to keep Vinny around. Personally, I'm not sure if the alternatives are any better with it being week 3.

Considering Vinny kicked in yesterday's game and made every kick, I'd say he's not retiring.  LOL  And may I add a lot of fans wrote this team off after neckbeard left.  I told everyone that Brissett would do well.  He has led this team to a 2 - 1 record so far.  I felt after the first 5 games the Colts would be 3 - 2 and that was WITH neckbeard running the team.  In yesterday's game against Atlanta, he went full on jedi in that first half.  LOL  Obi Wan Jacoby anyone?  Dude has 7 TD passes and only one pick in three games.  Man can protect the ball and make really good decisions with it.  Colts are gonna be just fine.

Colts have a playoff team make up. 

A VERY GOOD OL with the best OL in the NFL leading the way

A great RB who plays with chip on his shoulder in a good way

A young aggressive Defense who flies around

A QB who is very confident and steady and not looking for anything other than just winning. 

Brissett completed his first 16 passes vs ATL and looked like a wizard in doing so. ATL struggles a bit defensively and this obviously isn't the norm, but it's great to know that Brissett is capable of playing at a high level. 

On 9/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, itiswhatitis said:

Considering Vinny kicked in yesterday's game and made every kick, I'd say he's not retiring.  LOL  And may I add a lot of fans wrote this team off after neckbeard left.  I told everyone that Brissett would do well.  He has led this team to a 2 - 1 record so far.  I felt after the first 5 games the Colts would be 3 - 2 and that was WITH neckbeard running the team.  In yesterday's game against Atlanta, he went full on jedi in that first half.  LOL  Obi Wan Jacoby anyone?  Dude has 7 TD passes and only one pick in three games.  Man can protect the ball and make really good decisions with it.  Colts are gonna be just fine.

The latest rumor I've heard is the Colts will make an announcement soon that Luck will be having surgery to repair his ankle (remember the original injury was to his calf).  If that happens, he will start the season on IR.  Not good news if it is true.  If he has surgery, it will depend on how long it takes for him to heal.  6 - 8 weeks maybe?  So you can probably expect to see:  no division title, no playoffs, no nothing.  Just another year of waiting to see who the Colts can draft next year.  Maybe they'll draft a QB that can stay healthy.

Please stop

2 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

The latest rumor I've heard is the Colts will make an announcement soon that Luck will be having surgery to repair his ankle (remember the original injury was to his calf).  If that happens, he will start the season on IR.  Not good news if it is true.  If he has surgery, it will depend on how long it takes for him to heal.  6 - 8 weeks maybe?  So you can probably expect to see:  no division title, no playoffs, no nothing.  Just another year of waiting to see who the Colts can draft next year.  Maybe they'll draft a QB that can stay healthy.

Please stop

This post doesn't even deserve a reply.  Someone please tell this poor soul that Luck retired weeks ago.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

This post doesn't even deserve a reply.  Someone please tell this poor soul that Luck retired weeks ago.

15 minutes ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

It's your post. I copied it from page 3 of this thread. You posted it on August 16. 

LOL

I just find it funny that you said that a day after I posted:

"Easy now, it's a long season. I expect Luck to miss a game or 2 as well but that isn't going to make the season a waste. He could miss the first 4 games, which is still just glorified preseason, and the Colts could be 2-2 with Brissett. I could even see 3-1 with an opening day loss to the Chargers and then wins against TN, ATL, and OAK. 

Colts will still be the division champs at 10-6 or maybe even 9-7 with Luck missing 4 games worst case scenario. No reason to hit the panic button on this season yet."

So somehow you went from saying the Colts would have "no division title, no playoffs, no nothing" and hinting that they may need to draft a QB who can stay healthy to proclaiming how great the offense was going to be with Brissett.

That's talent.

3 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

I just find it funny that you said that a day after I posted:

"Easy now, it's a long season. I expect Luck to miss a game or 2 as well but that isn't going to make the season a waste. He could miss the first 4 games, which is still just glorified preseason, and the Colts could be 2-2 with Brissett. I could even see 3-1 with an opening day loss to the Chargers and then wins against TN, ATL, and OAK. 

Colts will still be the division champs at 10-6 or maybe even 9-7 with Luck missing 4 games worst case scenario. No reason to hit the panic button on this season yet."

So somehow you went from saying the Colts would have "no division title, no playoffs, no nothing" and hinting that they may need to draft a QB who can stay healthy to proclaiming how great the offense was going to be with Brissett.

That's talent.

Well played, State Farm.

• 2 weeks later...