Sign in to follow this  
Punttheball

Colts 2019

Well we are into the second day of summer camp!  Only a few more weeks and preseason starts.  So far I've not heard any reports of any injuries (keeping fingers crossed).  I saw one reporter claim that Colts fans will love Funchess in bunches.  LOL  At least he's impressed one person so far.  Read an article that said Ballard is watching three position battles this year.  They are (surprisingly) the O line, (and not surprisingly) the D line and the WR group.  Ballard still has his "man crush" on Cain.  He says Cain has improved and matured a lot in the past year during rehab.  Hope Cain can stay healthy as well as the rest of the team.  Lots of high expectations for this year's group.  Let's hope they can meet (or exceed) those expectations.  They are primed to do some really great things with the new additions in the draft and free agency.  I know on the NFL show they gave a lot of praise to Ballard and the Colts.  I saw an early power poll from Touchdown Wire.  They have the Colts at #5 heading into camp.  Polls don't mean much, but it's nice to see someone in the media giving the Colts some "early love".  The Colts are also early favorites to win the AFC South.  Should be a VERY interesting year.  Several tough road games on the schedule like starting week one in San Diego.  I'm hoping Gordon is still a holdout or has been traded.  If have no running game, the Colts could easily win that one.  Would be a great start to the season.  They also have week 5 in KC.  Thinking of getting tickets to that one.

What are your expectations for parris Campbell?  I picked him up in a few rookie drafts thinking that he would be an immediate starter with TY and either Cain/funchess

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

What are your expectations for parris Campbell?  I picked him up in a few rookie drafts thinking that he would be an immediate starter with TY and either Cain/funchess

I expected (and still do) that Campbell will be a starter.  If he isn't, I still expect him to play a prominent role in the offense.  Ballard and Reich both have huge man crushes on him.  Today at camp he had a great day.  For all of the doubters who said he can't run a route tree, they should be watching clips of him at camp.  Dude is going to quickly become a fan favorite.  You were wise to pick him up.  Another dude having a good camp (so far) is Funchess.  I hear he's having a blast and playing great.  Funny what a change of scenery can do for a guy's career.  Just ask Ebron.  I also hear that Autry is a one man wrecking crew on the D line in camp.  With Houston getting pressure on the outside and Autry on the inside, we may finally have a great D line this year.  Lots of high expectations out of Indy this season.  I believe the first 5 games are going to say a lot about how good they are having to play the Chargers in week one and the Chiefs in week 5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I expected (and still do) that Campbell will be a starter.  If he isn't, I still expect him to play a prominent role in the offense.  Ballard and Reich both have huge man crushes on him.  Today at camp he had a great day.  For all of the doubters who said he can't run a route tree, they should be watching clips of him at camp.  Dude is going to quickly become a fan favorite.  You were wise to pick him up.  Another dude having a good camp (so far) is Funchess.  I hear he's having a blast and playing great.  Funny what a change of scenery can do for a guy's career.  Just ask Ebron.  I also hear that Autry is a one man wrecking crew on the D line in camp.  With Houston getting pressure on the outside and Autry on the inside, we may finally have a great D line this year.  Lots of high expectations out of Indy this season.  I believe the first 5 games are going to say a lot about how good they are having to play the Chargers in week one and the Chiefs in week 5.

I’m not a big believer in funchess tbh...but autry...man. I don’t know how to explain how bad it felt to have him on one of my fantasy teams last year and have him sit on the bench the game he put up like 4 sacks lol.

Im a packers fan so I don’t really follow the colts too much but man. I would say McDaniels backing out and getting Reich was like changing your mind on the powerball numbers and picking the winning numbers doing so. Colts are in such a good position with development/cap management/roster strength. 

First preseason game tonight!  Can hardly wait to see if the defense is improved.  They've had a great camp.  I expect the offense is going to be vanilla so probably wont be much happening.  We'll see.

Andrew Luck's "Small Little Bone" Injury Is Apparently On The Move: https://deadspin.com/andrew-lucks-small-little-bone-injury-is-apparently-o-1837222894

The saga of Andrew Luck’s strained calf has reached the point where it’s time to worry whether anyone knows just what the hell is going on. Colts owner Jim Irsay identified a “small little bone” in Luck’s left leg as the source of the quarterback’s ongoing pain and discomfort, which leads to all sorts of questions about just what the hell kinds of surplus bones Luck might have floating around in his soft tissue down there.

Irsay’s aborted attempt to name the injury—“It’s a bone—I’m not good at these things, but it’s called mo-something else—but it’s a small little bone”—opened the door for more specific forms of speculation Tuesday afternoon. CBS4 in Indianapolis found a local doctor who suggested a condition called “myositis ossificans,” which involves burrs of bone tissue forming where they very much do not belong, inside muscle or soft tissue, following an injury. The possibility that Andrew Luck’s left leg might be ossifying into a bone spear sounds all too plausible given his injury history, but according to a report from Zak Keefer of The Athletic, whatever the issue is it is for the time being confined to Luck’s left ankle:

Let us not dwell on the question of how a strained calf managed to become a high ankle injury, nor on how it was described as a “small bone” problem as recently as this afternoon. Let us instead dare to hope that the persistent discomfort that has kept Luck from fully participating in training camp for a period of weeks is at long last on the brink of resolution. Pay no attention to the fact that Irsay and head coach Frank Reich have projected confidence at every step of the process, and yet here, on August 13, we are being told that the Colts have “finally found the source” of Luck’s ongoing pain, and it appears to have migrated to a whole new part of Luck’s body. We are not experts! Let us leave such things to the football men.

This injury story is looking like it's going to spiral out of control, much like Mr. Luck's serious shoulder injury did.

• Disdain 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Andrew Luck's "Small Little Bone" Injury Is Apparently On The Move: https://deadspin.com/andrew-lucks-small-little-bone-injury-is-apparently-o-1837222894

This injury story is looking like it's going to spiral out of control, much like Mr. Luck's serious shoulder injury did.

It would appear the fans are being "played" like they were in 2017 with the should injury.  The Colts aren't very good at playing "dumb" but they must think the fans are.  They keep putting off the Luck "injury" in hopes of selling those tickets.  Just a few days ago they said he'd miss 3 more practices, now they are saying he won't play at all in the preseason.  So which is it?  3 days or 3 weeks?  He has missed almost the entire summer camp.  I'm willing to bet he won't start week one either.  Oh well.  After all of the hype that was generated around this team after the draft, it looks like it's going to go to waste.  Ballard is great at drafting and such, but he still has a ways to go about handling injury info and making BS sound believable.  And so it goes...….

Edited by itiswhatitis

Easy now, it's a long season. I expect Luck to miss a game or 2 as well but that isn't going to make the season a waste. He could miss the first 4 games, which is still just glorified preseason, and the Colts could be 2-2 with Brissett. I could even see 3-1 with an opening day loss to the Chargers and then wins against TN, ATL, and OAK. 

Colts will still be the division champs at 10-6 or maybe even 9-7 with Luck missing 4 games worst case scenario. No reason to hit the panic button on this season yet. 

The latest rumor I've heard is the Colts will make an announcement soon that Luck will be having surgery to repair his ankle (remember the original injury was to his calf).  If that happens, he will start the season on IR.  Not good news if it is true.  If he has surgery, it will depend on how long it takes for him to heal.  6 - 8 weeks maybe?  So you can probably expect to see:  no division title, no playoffs, no nothing.  Just another year of waiting to see who the Colts can draft next year.  Maybe they'll draft a QB that can stay healthy.

That small little bone that was a calf strain was the colts just covering while they scrambled to figure out if luck would retire.  

Tank for tua...here the colts come

Not a colts fan but sadly Jacoby probably wins you enough games to stay out of top QB range but bad enough to miss playoffs. Oof.

Does this rise to the level of THE biggest bust in franchise history? I know Steve Emtman is high on the list, but damn. The franchise was being built for Luck. I wish him well, but talk about putting the team in a tough spot. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Does this rise to the level of THE biggest bust in franchise history? I know Steve Emtman is high on the list, but damn. The franchise was being built for Luck. I wish him well, but talk about putting the team in a tough spot. 

Luck absolutely is not a bust. In the grand scheme of things. The biggest bust was the lack of due diligence that was afforded to protecting him. His injuries are a direct result of the team not doing everything in their power to protect him. A team that has routinely had so much cap space to play with failed to get the right pieces until last year. Unfortunately even after going from basically the worst OL to one of the very best in 1 year thanks to 2 great Rookies, it was too little too late.

This is just the reality of the situation. I’m sure the Giants and other organizations are paying attention to this. If the giants start Jones behind that horrible OL will they pay for it down the road? Absolutely 

• Like 1

I agree as far as lack of protection for him goes. But as far as his injuries, his shoulder ac sprain was from a snowboarding accident. Also, he first experienced pain in the calf in March, and it was in May that he started having ankle pain. 

Okay I've had over night to digest what has transpired.  Luck is gone.  That can't be changed.  I think the timing of his announcement wasn't very good.  However, I can respect his decision to walk away.  How many retired guys have to use canes or walkers just to get around due to football injuries?  How many retired guys have the shakes?  How many of them have no feeling in certain parts of their bodies due to football injuries?  Luck has made the decision (HIS decision) to retire so he may have a good quality of life in the future.  I don't fault him at all for doing it.  Again, I would question the timing of it.  Fans booed him as he walked off the field last night.  What he has done for the franchise and the city of Indianapolis cannot be measured and being booed is the thanks he gets?  To the fans who booed, no matter how angry you might be, that was totally unnecessary and totally bush league.  Too bad they can't be identified and banned for life from all future games.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Luck absolutely is not a bust. In the grand scheme of things. The biggest bust was the lack of due diligence that was afforded to protecting him. His injuries are a direct result of the team not doing everything in their power to protect him. A team that has routinely had so much cap space to play with failed to get the right pieces until last year. Unfortunately even after going from basically the worst OL to one of the very best in 1 year thanks to 2 great Rookies, it was too little too late.

This is just the reality of the situation. I’m sure the Giants and other organizations are paying attention to this. If the giants start Jones behind that horrible OL will they pay for it down the road? Absolutely 

Luck was the least sacked guy in the NFL last year.  He played all 17 games and the Pro Bowl, throwing 39 TD passes (2nd only to Mahomes) , earning NFL comeback player of the year.  He had the right GM and the right coach.  Who bails when the pieces are finally all in place??

Nothing at all mentioned in the off season about any injuries, nor any treatment for injuries.  All of a sudden when the camp is starting, various injuries surfaced and even they kept changing.  Calling those suspect is not out of reason.

He has openly stated that much of this is mental.....sometimes I wonder if that isn't the vast majority and the Colts are covering for him.  Notice Irsay is allowing Luck to keep the 24.8 MM that is due back to the Colts?

Could this be about getting his "head on straight" with the Colts hoping he comes back to the stable in the future??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

Edited by TrojanDad

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Luck was the least sacked guy in the NFL last year.  He played all 17 games and the Pro Bowl, throwing 39 TD passes (2nd only to Mahomes) , earning NFL comeback player of the year.  He had the right GM and the right coach.  Who bails when the pieces are finally all in place??

Nothing at all mentioned in the off season about any injuries, nor any treatment for injuries.  All of a sudden when the camp is starting, various injuries surfaced and even they kept changing.  Calling those suspect is not out of reason.

He has openly stated that much of this is mental.....sometimes I wonder if that isn't the vast majority and the Colts are covering for him.  Notice Irsay is allowing Luck to keep the 24.8 MM that is due back to the Colts?

Could this be about getting his "head on straight" with the Colts hoping he comes back to the stable in the future??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

I think you missed the sentence where I said they went from last to one of the best because of the two rookie OL.

i get that people are upset...but when the colts drafted him he had always said football was one of his many interests. He was never just a football guy. 

If I had the choice between 

A) retire at 30 with 100 million and some relatively minor injuries 

or 

B) retire at 40 with 300 million with potentially severe long term chronic injuries and probably some brain damage 

im taking 30 and 100 million every day.

What Andrew Luck Means: https://deadspin.com/what-andrew-luck-means-1837554491

Given the circumstances, it’s remarkable Andrew Luck wasn’t playing for the Detroit Lions. The Colts franchise QB is retiring less than two weeks before the NFL season is slated to begin. There’s already a host of people, namely idiot Colts fans, ready to castigate Luck for his timing, but Luck is hardly the first NFL player to bow out of the sport in what ought to be his prime, nor will he be the last. The list keeps growing: Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, Chris Borland, Jason Worilds, Pat Tillman, Tiki Barber, Robert Smith, Vontae Davis, Lynn Swann, Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, and now Luck. Luck accomplished so much in his brief career—including the second-greatest comeback in playoff history—but his legacy will forever feel incomplete now.

Luck was always a prime candidate to cut his own career short, given both his injury history and—GASP!—his open affection for outside interests, namely architecture. Those outside interests weren’t enough to prevent the Colts from drafting Luck, perhaps because they weren’t too political or demonstrative in nature, or perhaps because Luck’s father Oliver was also a Respected Football Man, or perhaps because Luck was, physically speaking, as well-built to withstand the rigors of football as anyone could possibly be.

But I assume the Colts banked on Luck being a lifer in the sport because he was supremely talented and because he was, himself, a voracious football lover. You don’t have to go too far to find evidence of that love. Luck was the guy who WANTED to get hit by opposing pass rushers, because it helped him get his sea legs for game action. That’s how insane he was for the sport. That he felt as if he had no choice but to finally abandon it NOW, right when his team and the general football public would resent his decision the most, suggests he had little hope in being able to change his own mind. This was not a choice. This had to be done.

And while the NFL will handle Luck’s retirement with its usual false graciousness, the collective silent scream of GMs and scouts in the face of a draining talent pool is growing by the second. Luck is the largest domino to fall, by far. If he can walk away from the game (and from untold millions earnings in future earnings in a league in which good QBs play for quite a while) right before the season begins, anyone can. That means, going forward, teams are gonna be too scared shitless to draft ANYONE.

Try to think of another sport that has to deal with players not wanting to play it. This is only happening to the NFL, and all of the rule tweaks and happy penalty flag barrages they’ve concocted have not and will not curtail that exodus. That’s why scouts ask players all kinds of deranged shit at the combine, like If you were a jellybean, what flavor of jellybean would you be? or If you could murder a man and get away with it, wouldn’t you? All the 40 times and vertical jumps get their usual undue amount of attention. But what scouts REALLY want to learn about prospects when they come to the combine in Indianapolis—how fitting a locale at the moment—is, Are you too smart and rational to keep playing this game?

No one else besides the NFL is stupid enough to keep engineering ways to sustain an unsustainable game. Andrew Luck’s retirement will only increase the primal urgency of Football Men to find True Football Believers to play football: those who don’t ever question their faith in it. Richie Incognito is a seriously unwell man who should NOT be playing football right now, and yet the Oakland Raiders gleefully snatched him off the open market this offseason. Why? Because they know that Richie already tried to walk away from this sport—citing failing organs, no less—and still couldn’t bring himself to do it. That, against all intuition, is what EVERY team wants. They want you all in, and they don’t mean it in the Chuck Pagano way. They want people who are either willing to sacrifice all of themselves to play the game, or people who are too oblivious to know that’s what they’re doing. They do NOT want people who fully understand just who and what they’re giving their bodies over to. And they have cultivated a fan and media culture that looks down on pretty much any player who does not meet those insane criteria:

They want you to enlist. They want you to serve your team for God and country. That is the blueprint. The NFL has always been in love with its war metaphors. So it’s fitting that the league now finds itself existentially lost when trying to deal with the consequences of REAL human wreckage—of players discovering that this sport will kill them, and it will kill them faster the longer they play it. The NFL doesn’t want players like that. They want something beyond mere passion. They want players too obsessed to see the danger, or to feel the pain. They want you, pardon the expression, brain damaged. Andrew Luck knew better than to give his entire life to this league. He won’t be the last. In some critical ways, he is merely the first.

Yep, Mr. Luck made the right decision.  The NFL is slowly failing, and his early retirement is one of the symptoms.

22 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What Andrew Luck Means: https://deadspin.com/what-andrew-luck-means-1837554491

Yep, Mr. Luck made the right decision.  The NFL is slowly failing, and his early retirement is one of the symptoms.

I don’t think the NFL is failing. We have a society that prides itself on working dangerous jobs. The most dangerous jobs always pay more.  Plenty of people work in coal mines today even though they understand the inherent risks of doing so. 

In 40 years there will still be plenty of people who will destroy their bodies in the name of pride and money....and there will still be viewers to watch it.  

I think it’s possible we see more of this though. Where guys are like “ya know. I have made enough money. My kids are set for life and my grandchildren will be just fine. Let me enjoy the rest of my life”. But we are not going to see football die....just new bodies sacrificed for our entertainment more often 

21 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think you missed the sentence where I said they went from last to one of the best because of the two rookie OL.

i get that people are upset...but when the colts drafted him he had always said football was one of his many interests. He was never just a football guy. 

If I had the choice between 

A) retire at 30 with 100 million and some relatively minor injuries 

or 

B) retire at 40 with 300 million with potentially severe long term chronic injuries and probably some brain damage 

im taking 30 and 100 million every day.

I wasn't disagreeing with you...just still bamboozled that he would leave now, when the organization is clearly headed in the right direction with GM, coach and players.  I also don't disagree with your comments about motivation...and given his background, money has probably never been his motivation.  (although he didn't say no to Irsay paying him an additional $25MM+ for retiring and didn't have to do so)  But, if he doesn't want to rehab, he doesn't want to rehab.  The whole lower leg injury thing is puzzling...it continues to change....and it sure wasn't an issue last year.  Is anyone sure when this injury occurred?  I am hearing during a trip to Europe?  Is that correct?

When his decision shocks former coaches in Arians and Christensen, that says something.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/08/25/andrew-lucks-retirement-stuns-former-coaches-its-a-blow-to-football/

TAMPA — Clyde Christensen said he knew it was a possibility, but news of Andrew’s Luck’s retirement still shocked the former Colts quarterbacks coach.

"I stay in touch with him and kind of knew that he was contemplating it,'' said Christensen, now the Bucs’ quarterback coach. "But I learned like everybody. I was watching the Florida-Miami game and it came across the bottom. All of a sudden, I had 15 texts in 30 seconds.

"Like everyone, the reality of it was shocking. It was a blow. It knocked the wind out of me.’’  

Bruce Arians, the interim head coach of the Colts in 2012 when Luck was a rookie quarterback and led them to a 11-5 record and playoff berth, still was having trouble believing it.

"I know he’s been struggling with this latest injury but the last time I talked to him, he was still fired up about the year and the team,'' Arians said Sunday. "Knowing his toughness, and his mental toughness, this does surprise me. Something has got to be wrong somewhere because I know he loves the game so much. I (broadcast) two of his games last year (for CBS) and he was running off the bus to come say hi and tell me how the team was doing and the young receivers and how excited he was. To see it, that was very disheartening.''

The fact is that 29-year-old quarterbacks who have made four Pro Bowls don’t walk away with three years remaining on their contract and leave about $70-million in earnings on the table.

By most accounts, it’s the most surprising retirement since Michael Jordan left the NBA in 1993. Players such as Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson called it quits with plenty of gas in the tank before anyone would’ve expected.

Bruce Arians, the interim head coach of the Colts in 2012 when Luck was a rookie quarterback and led them to a 11-5 record and playoff berth, still was having trouble believing it.

"I know he’s been struggling with this latest injury but the last time I talked to him, he was still fired up about the year and the team,'' Arians said Sunday. "Knowing his toughness, and his mental toughness, this does surprise me. Something has got to be wrong somewhere because I know he loves the game so much. I (broadcast) two of his games last year (for CBS) and he was running off the bus to come say hi and tell me how the team was doing and the young receivers and how excited he was. To see it, that was very disheartening.''

The fact is that 29-year-old quarterbacks who have made four Pro Bowls don’t walk away with three years remaining on their contract and leave about $70-million in earnings on the table.

By most accounts, it’s the most surprising retirement since Michael Jordan left the NBA in 1993. Players such as Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson called it quits with plenty of gas in the tank before anyone would’ve expected.

What surprised both Arians and Christensen is that Luck is giving up football, a sport he enjoyed like very few others.

"I don’t know many people that love football more than him,'' Christensen said. "Everything about football. He loved the meetings. Every day he’d take his nap and I’d walk by the meeting room and wake him up. We put a little futon in there. He’s just such a fun guy to be around.

“He got so much joy out of playing and the locker room and teammates and competing. Everything. He got a legit joy out of it, a childlike joy. To play football and not have that, obviously, he couldn’t live with that anymore.''

Too long to quote but now I catch your vibe. 

It is a shocker but if his rehab is as bad as he says it is for him. I can’t blame him.

also take a peak into Leron McLain today. Sad reality of what is going on for some players.  Hoping he gets the help he needs and deserves 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Too long to quote but now I catch your vibe. 

It is a shocker but if his rehab is as bad as he says it is for him. I can’t blame him.

also take a peak into Leron McLain today. Sad reality of what is going on for some players.  Hoping he gets the help he needs and deserves 

If Arians is accurate about Luck's excitement to play just last season, and given Luck's performance last year, I can only surmise his health has to be a major concern.  Just hope the young man has an incredible long, happy life.

• Like 1

Highland, Indiana, the town that spawned the greatest troll in gridiron digest history and the GM who ruined Andrew Luck’s career. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Once a Trojan, always a Trojan.