Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big Ten Weekly Review - Week 1

Guest DT

General observations and quick hits :

1. Greg Schiano is a bad dude.  Could not have been a better result for the Scarlet Knights in Schiano's return to RU.

2. Black coaches are getting their butts kicked.  MSU fans are already talking Mel Tucker buyout.  Locksley is reverting to New Mexico form at Maryland.  Lovie gets crushed by Bucky Badger.  Franklin will have a long week ahead after IU loss.

3. Michigan looked like old Michigan and sunk the leaky Gopher boat. 

4. IU still doesnt have the horses but Allen has developed a bit of pixie dust around the program.

5. Nebraska looked solid for 20 minutes and then the Buckeyes ran away from them.  Hard to root against Frost.  NU is coming.  Going to take some time.

6. OSU is just unbelieveable.  And Ryan Day might be the best football coach in the country, at any level.  

7. The current racial scandal in Iowa City could have huge long term downside impact on the Iowa football program.  We are likely seeing the end of the Kirk and Brian Ferentz era at Iowa.

8. Fitzy is hugely underrated.  

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Was more shocked at how bad Michigan State was than impressed with Rutgers. Rutgers capitalized on 5 first half MSU turnovers but really didn’t do much after that. Think Rutgers will he sent back to Earth next week.

I thought the hiring of Tucker was an abysmal choice for MSU.  Sparty Nation is very unsettled at this point.

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Skin color doesn't make a coach good nor bad.   

Not sure why the adjective had to be used here @DT 

Michigan State, Illinois, Franklin, Maryland got beat.   That is the story.  

I ve written in the past regarding the failure of black head coaches at the major D1 and NFL levels.  The data is very clear and conclusive.  You can draw your own conclusions, as I have done mine.  

Its only a racial issue if others choose to make it one.  To me, its a data issue

1 hour ago, DT said:

I thought the hiring of Tucker was an abysmal choice for MSU.  Sparty Nation is very unsettled at this point.

Jury still out, he’s coached one game. Dantonio didn’t exactly leave Tucker with a full cupboard as MSU was on a steady decline and he resigned the day before signing day. Didn’t really leave MSU with much viable options.

Couple that with the ongoing pandemic and  lack of time preparation in the spring and summer getting familiar with his team, I think most MSU fans realized this was going to be a tough year.

I thought week one was a good one.  Both Purdue and IU looked great, Wisconsin played like, well, Wisconsin,  and Michigan thumped Minnesota.  Ohio State surprised no one by smoking Nebraska, although I thought their last touchdown showed a tremendous lack of class.  Sure, Northwestern smoked Maryland, which was a little surprising.  As for Rutgers and Sparty, I don’t think the loss can be pinned on their coach.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

I understand that. It was also his first game. Didn’t Saban lose to UL-Monroe his first game at Alabama? It’s going to be 2-3 years one way or another before you can thoroughly judge this hire.

This just in: players make plays, coaches don’t.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Minnesota's lack of fight against Michigan was interesting for the Fleck supporters. 

Iowa if they win less than 8 games will seal Ferentz fate.   

Never been a Franklin guy.   

David Bell is a top 15 pick in 2022 Draft 

Bell did look good, I liked how Milton Wright came back after getting his clock cleaned in the first half.  I was, a little surprised to see AOC get the start, though.  I think the season is only 8 games, so Ferentz needs to step it up.  Not to sure what to think about Franklin’s brain fart, but I’ve never been sold on him either.  To borrow from my brother @DT, maybe they’ll bring Schiano in.  Or Fitzy (who beat UMD by a similar score Purdue did last year).  Or Fleck.  

Edited by Gipper

18 hours ago, Gipper said:

Bell did look good, I liked how Milton Wright came back after getting his clock cleaned in the first half.  I was, a little surprised to see AOC get the start, though.  I think the season is only 8 games, so Ferentz needs to step it up.  Not to sure what to think about Franklin’s brain fart, but I’ve never been sold on him either.  To borrow from my brother @DT, maybe they’ll bring Schiano in.  Or Fitzy (who beat UMD by a similar score Purdue did last year).  Or Fleck.  

Agreed. Wright was crushed by a clean hit. I loved that Purdue win for the following reasons: 1. Offense was without King, Moore, and Wright (most of the game). 2. Aidan had some solid throws. The first two TD passes to Bell were elite level throws, IMO. I was definately not expecting him to start. He showed moxy though. 3. The O-Line took control in crunch time and we were able to run the ball down Iowa's throats. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Purdue O-Line take control of the run game in the 4th quarter. We're usually relying on the passing game to save us. 

Regarding Fitz, I'm convinced he will be the HC of our beloved Chicago Bears at some point. It would be a great story for the Orland Park native and former Northwestern player/coach to win a Lombardy for his hometown team. Would be an even better story if the McCaskey's no longer owned the team. 😉

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of the Row The Boat schtick. I'm curious to see how it plays out this year now that he's replacing a lot of the starters he inherited. 

Ohio State, Agree with DT, Day is an incredible coach. Not much more can be said. Another year of Ohio State having an embarrasment of riches. The TD catch by the Freshman out of Texas was phenomenal. 

Harbaugh may have finally found a QB. That guy is a beast with a monster arm. Milk with Steak is still probably looking at another 1 or 2 loss year, which isn't good enough for Go Blue Fans. Oddly, that was par for the course for Lloyd and Bo.

I saw a clip from IU's locker room in wich the players were celebrating with Allen after the game. That man looks like a coach who has respect and love from his team. Never thought I would enjoy seeing IU players enjoy a win, but it was nice to see the way they applauded Allen in the lockerroom.

Edited by Boilernation

Lost Cam Craig at OL who will be doubtful this week, ugh, he was a sleeper out of Ohio and RS Freshman, physical kid,   Purdue rotated lots of guys and combos up front, could not tell a difference, that is a good thing.   Even True Frosh, Gus Hartwig got in some action.  

Can't go backwards vs Illinois.   Brohm back on Wednesday 

https://n.rivals.com/news/big-ten-spotlight-how-teams-are-addressing-biggest-needs

INDIANA

Biggest 2021 need: Safety

Progress: Both safety and offensive line were areas of need for Indiana coming into the 2021 recruiting class, and so far they have addressed both to some degree in what is currently a small class of just 13 prospects. The Hoosiers went into Florida and grabbed three-star safety 

Aubrey Burks in June, but he decommitted last month. The Hoosiers then beat out East Carolina for Georgia three-star 
Jordan Grier, whom they project as a safety in their defense, and added Virginia athlete 
Maurice Freeman, another prospect they project to safety, in August. The door may be open for Brooks to come back and other options could emerge, so Indiana may not be done at safety in 2021.

PURDUE

Biggest 2021 need: Versatile Front Seven Defenders

Progress: Following Purdue’s 2019 season, head coach Jeff Brohm made a change at defensive coordinator, bringing in former UConn head coach Bob Diaco and his 3-4 defense. Diaco’s unique defensive scheme means that Purdue needs versatile defenders who are capable of bouncing between roles, like linebacker and rush end, or end and defensive tackle. Those type of players are not necessarily found on most rosters, so Purdue is trying to find recruits who fit the bill. Linebacker 

Tristan Cox and defensive end 
Khordae Sydnor are two solutions, but they really want to add more like four-star 

58 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Maybe IU gets to celebrate their bowl game early.  They've got a tough schedule and with no cupcakes to pad them to 6 wins, it will be tough to get to a bowl.  How are they gonna go the bowls this year?

There isn't a win requirement for bowl eligibility this year due to the scheduling unbalance. I imagine you'll see a fair amount of lower tier bowls cancelled this year, especially in states with attendance bans. Depending on the # of bowls that actually take place, I think a 4 win IU team gets in, especially with a win already over Penn State. I see wins against MSU, Rutgers, and Maryland to get to 4 and then Purdue and IU should be a dandy. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

There isn't a win requirement for bowl eligibility this year due to the scheduling unbalance. I imagine you'll see a fair amount of lower tier bowls cancelled this year, especially in states with attendance bans. Depending on the # of bowls that actually take place, I think a 4 win IU team gets in, especially with a win already over Penn State. I see wins against MSU, Rutgers, and Maryland to get to 4 and then Purdue and IU should be a dandy. 

Plus the cross over game against the west division.  A path is there for 6 wins.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Okay but I seriously doubt IU plays a team as good as Penn State in any bowl game they might play in,.  The number of bowls will depend on who they line up for sponsors this year and how many are still in business.  At least I would guess. 

On 10/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Minnesota's lack of fight against Michigan was interesting for the Fleck supporters. 

Iowa if they win less than 8 games will seal Ferentz fate.   

Never been a Franklin guy.   

David Bell is a top 15 pick in 2022 Draft 

How many games does Iowa play this year?? May be tough to hit that goal.

They should cut 30% of the Bowls anyway 

11 hours ago, psaboy said:

How many games does Iowa play this year?? May be tough to hit that goal.

yes, a lack of remembering the adjusted schedule on my part.....   Go this route instead.... Iowa finishes under 500 he is toast 

40 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

They should cut 30% of the Bowls anyway 

yes, a lack of remembering the adjusted schedule on my part.....   Go this route instead.... Iowa finishes under 500 he is toast 

You think they fire Ferentz after 20+ years? I don't know, too invested in him at this point. I think firing Ferentz amidst a pandemic could set Iowa back 5 years. Who knows what kind of budget they are looking at after they buy him out and all the lost revenue this last year. Iowa isn't really an easy place to recruit at (unless you've been doing it 20 years like Ferentz) and whoever replaces him is going to have an uphill battle without the ability to host or do in-home visits. 

I do think Iowa would be wise to get ahead and put Ferentz on some kind of retirement plan in the next 3-4 years where they can appoint a successor but outright firing him given the circumstances could be costly. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You think they fire Ferentz after 20+ years? I don't know, too invested in him at this point. I think firing Ferentz amidst a pandemic could set Iowa back 5 years. Who knows what kind of budget they are looking at after they buy him out and all the lost revenue this last year. Iowa isn't really an easy place to recruit at (unless you've been doing it 20 years like Ferentz) and whoever replaces him is going to have an uphill battle without the ability to host or do in-home visits. 

I do think Iowa would be wise to get ahead and put Ferentz on some kind of retirement plan in the next 3-4 years where they can appoint a successor but outright firing him given the circumstances could be costly. 

He could retire after this season.  The situation there appears to be very toxic.  Dont know how he could possibly recruit black athletes in the current environment.  Just imagine what other recruiters from other schools must be saying about the Iowa program on the recruiting trail.

Ferentz should do the honorable thing and step aside after the season.  He will likely go to the NFL if he doesnt want to hang up the whistle.

12 minutes ago, DT said:

He could retire after this season.  The situation there appears to be very toxic.  Dont know how he could possibly recruit black athletes in the current environment.  Just imagine what other recruiters from other schools must be saying about the Iowa program on the recruiting trail.

Ferentz should do the honorable thing and step aside after the season.  He will likely go to the NFL if he doesnt want to hang up the whistle.

Is it though? I know you love your recruiting rankings and to date Iowa has a top 25 class and only one de-commitment. Not saying their isn't a toxic environment at Iowa (because I'm not around the program) but get a feeling it may be overblown to a degree.