Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the end coming for Harbaugh at Michigan?

Guest DT

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

Side argument (sure to get folks fired up):  IU hasn't been a "basketball school" in over 25 years...

Football coaches tend to make more than those on the hardwood for obvious reasons but it is interesting that Archie and Allen make similar figures.

In terms of wins and losses, I’m totally with you, but their fan base in basketball is more than comparable to Michigan football.  Case in point: I married into an IU family and they’re already excited for the Final 4...

I must declare victory, however, as Mrs. Gipper will be earning a Purdue degree this Spring!

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Side argument (sure to get folks fired up):  IU hasn't been a "basketball school" in over 25 years...

I was just about to agree with you on that...............kinda funny actually. But Gipper made a good point. It's still a baskeball school for sure, just not much tournament success to show for it. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I was just about to agree with you on that...............kinda funny actually. But Gipper made a good point. It's still a baskeball school for sure, just not much tournament success to show for it. 

They’ll be back.  I’m not sure to the same degree under RMK, but still...

On 11/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, temptation said:

I'd like to retract my earlier statement on UM giving Harbaugh a covid pass based on information learned this past weekend.  Not sure you can recover from what I heard.

Nice tease.  Whats the scoop?

21 minutes ago, DT said:

Is it possible that Michigan might tank it just so OSU is ineligible for the conf championship game?

Down to one healthy QB...haven’t pulled the plug but I’d expect them to.

And of course the national media will have their pitchforks.

The Big Ten will make an exception for OSU...as they always do.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Covid

Wait. When you said tank it. I know you say Covid. Are you saying the UM tanks it by saying they have a covid outbreak (something like that)?  Or are you saying they play people that are covid positive?  

If osu doesn’t play this weekend, does that mean they didn’t play enough games to qualify for the big 10 championship game?  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, DE said:

Wait. When you said tank it. I know you say Covid. Are you saying the UM tanks it by saying they have a covid outbreak (something like that)?  Or are you saying they play people that are covid positive?  

If osu doesn’t play this weekend, does that mean they didn’t play enough games to qualify for the big 10 championship game?  Thanks. 

Affirmative   What better way to stick it to the Buckeyes and make them ineligible for the conf championsip game.

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Excellent. This reminds me of Bo Schembechler obstinately refusing to kick away from Rocket Ismail. This will probably work out the same way.

• Like 1

I hope I'm wrong, because I happen to think college football is better when Michigan is in the mix. But I think this was a mistake. He's had his chance.  Why offer an extension for mediocre work? If he's not in a NY6 game in the next two years, he's out. If not, Michigan isn't serious about being one of the top four teams in the country. 

Edited by BTF
correction

29 minutes ago, BTF said:

I hope I'm wrong, because I happen to think college football is better when Michigan is in the mix. But I think this was a mistake. He's had his chance.  Why offer an extension for mediocre work? If he's not in a NY6 game in the next two years, he's out. If not, Michigan isn't serious about being one of the top four teams in the country. 

You’re wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Michigan doubles down on Harbaugh. Love it!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30675288/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-reach-contract-extension

Michigan, football coach Jim Harbaugh reach contract extension

Adam RittenbergESPN Senior Writer 

Jim Harbaugh has reached a contract extension to remain Michigan's football coach through the 2025 season, athletic director Warde Manuel announced Friday.

A source confirmed to ESPN that the new deal includes a lower base salary and many performance incentives. Harbaugh had one year left on his initial contract at Michigan, which paid the coach slightly over $8 million in 2020.

"I continue to believe that Jim is the right man to lead our program in pursuit of Big Ten and CFP championships," Manuel said in a statement. "Our program didn't achieve at a level that anyone expected this year but I know those setbacks will drive the coaches, players and staff moving forward. Jim is a tireless worker and competitor. Following the completion of the season we talked for many hours on what it will take for Jim to lead and get us back on the right trajectory."

Michigan and Harbaugh began discussing a new contract after the team's regular season ended in November. Harbaugh spent much of the past few weeks vacationing in California but returned to Ann Arbor this week, a source said.

Why Jim Harbaugh and Michigan recommitted now, and what comes next

In a statement, Harbaugh thanked Manuel and university president Mark Schlissel, among others.

"Over the past few weeks, Warde and I had discussions that have been honest, open, insightful and constructive in moving our football program forward. Discussions that I look forward to continuing over the months and years ahead," Harbaugh said. "We have a plan.

"There is work to be done and challenges to be addressed. These challenges are being addressed as we continue to strive for excellence in the classroom and championships on the field, a message that I hope is noted in the language of our agreed-upon contract."

The Wolverines finished the 2020 season at 2-4, canceling their final three games because of COVID-19 concerns within the program.

Harbaugh, a former star quarterback at Michigan, is 49-22 in six seasons at the school and 34-16 in Big Ten play but is coming off by far his worst season at his alma mater. Michigan won 10 games and finished in the top 15 in three of his first four seasons but has yet to defeat rival Ohio Stateand has dropped four straight bowl games.

Michigan fired defensive coordinator Don Brown last month, and six other assistants have contracts that expire Sunday.

The school said in its release that Harbaugh was "in the process of evaluating and putting together his staff for the 2021 season."

30 minutes ago, Bobref said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30675288/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-reach-contract-extension

Jim Harbaugh has reached a contract extension to remain Michigan's football coach through the 2025 season, athletic director Warde Manuel announced Friday.

A source confirmed to ESPN that the new deal includes a lower base salary and many performance incentives. Harbaugh had one year left on his initial contract at Michigan, which paid the coach slightly over $8 million in 2020.

"I continue to believe that Jim is the right man to lead our program in pursuit of Big Ten and CFP championships," Manuel said in a statement. "Our program didn't achieve at a level that anyone expected this year but I know those setbacks will drive the coaches, players and staff moving forward. Jim is a tireless worker and competitor. Following the completion of the season we talked for many hours on what it will take for Jim to lead and get us back on the right trajectory."

Michigan and Harbaugh began discussing a new contract after the team's regular season ended in November. Harbaugh spent much of the past few weeks vacationing in California but returned to Ann Arbor this week, a source said.

In a statement, Harbaugh thanked Manuel and university president Mark Schlissel, among others.

"Over the past few weeks, Warde and I had discussions that have been honest, open, insightful and constructive in moving our football program forward. Discussions that I look forward to continuing over the months and years ahead," Harbaugh said. "We have a plan.

"There is work to be done and challenges to be addressed. These challenges are being addressed as we continue to strive for excellence in the classroom and championships on the field, a message that I hope is noted in the language of our agreed-upon contract."

The Wolverines finished the 2020 season at 2-4, canceling their final three games because of COVID-19 concerns within the program.

Harbaugh, a former star quarterback at Michigan, is 49-22 in six seasons at the school and 34-16 in Big Ten play but is coming off by far his worst season at his alma mater. Michigan won 10 games and finished in the top 15 in three of his first four seasons but has yet to defeat rival Ohio Stateand has dropped four straight bowl games.

Michigan fired defensive coordinator Don Brown last month, and six other assistants have contracts that expire Sunday.

The school said in its release that Harbaugh was "in the process of evaluating and putting together his staff for the 2021 season."

As an ND fan, you should.  He will be long gone before you play Michigan again.

One fan base a has earned the right to be excited about this and it ain’t ND.

I’ll release the inside scoop on this once all is finalized.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Glad he is staying.  Harbaugh and UM are made for each other.  Perhaps expectations in Ann Arbor have been adjusted to accept the current reality that OSU is a juggernaut and UM is doing everything it can within its confines to remain competitive.  The Buckeyes will slip at some point and Michigan will be first in line to pounce.  Go Big Blue!

10 hours ago, DT said:

Glad he is staying.  Harbaugh and UM are made for each other.  Perhaps expectations in Ann Arbor have been adjusted to accept the current reality that OSU is a juggernaut and UM is doing everything it can within its confines to remain competitive.  The Buckeyes will slip at some point and Michigan will be first in line to pounce.  Go Big Blue!

Go Big Blue = UK

Go Blue = UM

But your point still remains.