Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Nickname Hall of Fame revisited

Sure, we have some that show a nauseating lack of creativity, a certain chosen few do need to be saluted for the uniquenes:

New Palestine Dragons: named after a mythical beast, thank you for not choosing the Unicorn.

Crawfordsville Athenians, Connersville and North Newton Spartans, as well as Center Grove, Silas Chatard, and West Central Trojans all offer a shout-out to Ancient Greece, a county on my bucket list.

South Newton Rebels and Anderson, Lake Central, & Portage Indians: shame on you and get your PC act together.

Vincennes Lincoln Alices: there’s gotta be a story here, I just don’t know what it is.   I’ll stop at Lic’s Ice Cream when I’m down there over Christmas and get the deets.

Lafayetter Jefferson Bronchos: take some spelling lessons from Hohn Hlway (he did go to Stanford).

West Washington Senators: someone’s gotta advance the Conservative agenda.  Well, we have the Supreme Court, too so 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

Benton Central Bison and Cathedral Fighting Irish: two schools on the opposite ends on the win-loss spectrum with a shared dislike for the letter S.

I can’t do this all on my own, people: dazzle me...

5 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Sure, we have some that show a nauseating lack of creativity, a certain chosen few do need to be saluted for the uniquenes:

New Palestine Dragons: named after a mythical beast, thank you for not choosing the Unicorn.

Crawfordsville Athenians, Connersville and North Newton Spartans, as well as Center Grove, Silas Chatard, and West Central Trojans all offer a shout-out to Ancient Greece, a county on my bucket list.

South Newton Rebels and Anderson, Lake Central, & Portage Indians: shame on you and get your PC act together.

Vincennes Lincoln Alices: there’s gotta be a story here, I just don’t know what it is.   I’ll stop at Lic’s Ice Cream when I’m down there over Christmas and get the deets.

Lafayetter Jefferson Bronchos: take some spelling lessons from Hohn Hlway (he did go to Stanford).

West Washington Senators: someone’s gotta advance the Conservative agenda.  Well, we have the Supreme Court, too so 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

Benton Central Bison and Cathedral Fighting Irish: two schools on the opposite ends on the win-loss spectrum with a shared dislike for the letter S.

I can’t do this all on my own, people: dazzle me...

Here in the North, we have a plethora of interesting nicknames: Hobart Brickies, Whiting Oilers, River Forest Ingots, LaPorte Slicers, Andrean 59ers, Jimtown Jimmies and, in the area of interesting spellings, the Kankakee Valley Kougars.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Here in the North, we have a plethora of interesting nicknames: Hobart Brickies, Whiting Oilers, River Forest Ingots, LaPorte Slicers, Andrean 59ers, Jimtown Jimmies and, in the area of interesting spellings, the Kankakee Valley Kougars.

Thanks, buddy.  Let bygones, be bygones...

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Delphi Oracles.....just how “Classic” is that.

Ancient Greece...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Frankfort Hot Dogs and the Logansport "Logan Berries" make me hungry.

Thanksgiving is upon us, Mrs. Gipper won’t let me anywhere near the kitchen.  Easier for her to make me a sandwich, but I digress...

Just now, Bobref said:

No problem. It’s like making a bad call. Got to move on to the next one.

Lol—have a great day!

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Wasn’t Gary Wirt the Trooperz?  I know it was with an S...

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

Ancient Greece...

When I was a crew chief working D-III football, during the week I would give every crew member one topic on which they had to lead the discussion in our pregame Saturday morning. One week, our game was the Trinity Trojans @ the Aurora Spartans. So, each crew member had to come to the pregame with a half page report on a topic under the general heading of “The Trojan War.” Best pregame we ever had. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

When I was a crew chief working D-III football, during the week I would give every crew member one topic on which they had to lead the discussion in our pregame Saturday morning. One week, our game was the Trinity Trojans @ the Aurora Spartans. So, each crew member had to come to the pregame with a half page report on a topic under the general heading of “The Trojan War.” Best pregame we ever had. 

Solid.  

Total aside, but a little related, for anyone who might enjoy historic fiction I’d suggest you give the late David Gemmell’s “Troy” trilogy a look - starting with “Troy: The Lord of the Silver Bow”. 

Most enjoyable historic fiction series I have ever read....and I’ve read a bit.

Edited by Lysander

21 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Total aside, but a little related, for anyone who might enjoy historic fiction I’d suggest you give the late David Gemmell’s “Troy” trilogy a look - starting with “Troy: The Lord of the Silver Bow”. 

Most enjoyable historic fiction series I have ever read....and I’ve read a bit.

Thanks!  

Huntington North, North White, and Valparaiso Vikings—excellent and ferocious mariners with a penchant for polygamy.  Is that what goes in H-town, Monon/Reynolds and Valpo?

Lions, Tigers, and Bears (oh my)—let’s have a little more creativity Elkhart, Leo, Princeton, and Lawrence Central

You, too Brownsburg and Crown Point Bulldogs 

Carry on, Wheeler Bearcats (well done)

Let’s hear it for (insert Chris Berman voice) of duh Raiders of William Henry Harrison HS north of West Lafayette, not to mention Kiel High School of Wisconsin.

Are the Kokomo Wildkats trying to steal the thunder of the Kankakee Valley Kougars?

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

If you were trying to be punny, well played.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_of_Old_Vincennes

(For the rest of the illiterate rubes out there like me...)

5 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

If you were trying to be punny, well played.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_of_Old_Vincennes

(For the rest of the illiterate rubes out there like me...)

I’m not even close to being done as I like nicknames that pay homage to their local industries, as such, I salute you Hobart Brickies (a handle I was been aware of since the Crown Point swim sectional when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth), Linton-Stockton (showing my S-town boys some love) Miners, La Porte Slicers, and Speedway Sparkpkugs.  But are you even trying, Batesville Bulldogs.  A) Casket Makers or Undertakers would be much more appropriate than the rather blasé nickname you use.

We also know of the faith-based schools stranglehold on football in our and nearby states.  But why dabble in the occult Jeffersonville, Lowell, and West Lafayette Red Devils and Tipton Blue Devils?  This is also an occurrence at Ironwood High School in the UP of Meatchicken.  I guess they’re trying to one-up the Flivvers of Kingsford High located 120 miles eastward on US 2.  Kingsford is home of the eponymous charcoals company, therefore Briquets or Flames would be much more appropriate.

9 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

https://www.wrhistoricalsociety.com/the-origin-of-the-oilers

orgin of oilers also this site has a ton of interesting stories from whiting 

Missed that one, thank you.  But as I sat in the stands for a Whiting-SN game way back when, I remember seeing all of the refineries.

Thanks for the info, OTQB, but I’m still gonna score me a cone, sundae, or even milkshake!

Edited by Gipper

3 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I like nicknames that pay homage to their local industries,

The Garrett Railroaders & Jimtown Jimmies hark back to each town’s rail tradition.

Just now, Bobref said:

The Garrett Railroaders & Jimtown Jimmies harken back to each town’s rail tradition.

I've always liked the name Comets. Good job Eastern and Caston. 

Panthers is the most used nickname in the state, but kudos to Pioneer for alliteration at least.

RIP to the Rockville Rox, but the Shoals Jug Rox strive to keep the tradition of wacky spelling alive.

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The Garrett Railroaders & Jimtown Jimmies hark back to each town’s rail tradition.

Nice!  So do the Hoopeston Cornjerkers, but they’re in Illinois, but there are no sports in the Godforesaken wasteland this year... 

Nothing for the Teutopolis Wooden Shoes either.

Just now, Bobref said:

It might be amusing if some schools had the nicknames more reflective of their town’s heritage or reputation, although some would probably be politically incorrect.

I think Martinsville is much better off with the Artesians!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AG said:

I've always liked the name Comets. Good job Eastern and Caston. 

Panthers is the most used nickname in the state, but kudos to Pioneer for alliteration at least.

RIP to the Rockville Rox, but the Shoals Jug Rox strive to keep the tradition of wacky spelling alive.

Cougars is up there, too.  The animal, not their middle aged woman human form...

What say you Carroll and New Prairie? At least Munchin College Prep in the Chicago Loop uses Mountain Lion...

• Haha 1