Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Nickname Hall of Fame revisited

Years ago I found an article that listed hundreds of strange/weird high school mascots throughout the country. I wish I could find that article. When I Google for it now, I only find newer articles that pick 1 from each state, or only a Top 25ish type list. This article/website was an old one, and really cool.

I remember in Arizona the Yuma Criminals. Per Wikipedia - "Yuma High's mascot came when the original school building was destroyed by fire in 1910. The school then used the Yuma Territorial Prison, which had been closed, for the next three years. Classes were held in the cell blocks, and assemblies took place in the prison hospital."

Here's an article with some other strange ones: https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/07/21_of_the_strangest_high_schoo.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CoachAnderson said:

Check out this website https://www.mascotdb.com/

Nice!  I travel a lot and seen some crazy ones, like the Kingsford, MI Flivvers, the Hoopeston, IL Cornjerkers (which is right down the road from SN although the WRC schools of Seeger, etc. are closer), and Lafayette County, MO Huskers.

Edited by Gipper

5 hours ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

Kentucky has some good nicknames. Bowling Green High School is called the Purples. Trinity is the Shamrocks like Westfield. Warren Central (KY) has New Pal's nickname Dragons.

There is also the Elgin Maroons in the Chicago suburbs and Westinghouse Commandos on the South Side as well as the Mt. Carmel Caravan who is a power.

Additionally Evanston Wildkits and New Trier Trevians.

My cousins grew up in Huntsville, AL.  I thought they’d also be Rebels (Lee HS), but there high school was named for a Purdue graduate and Indiana native, Gus Grissom, and are nicknamed the Tigers.

My Cliff Calvin moment will currently be shelved, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Edited by Gipper

On 11/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, Gipper said:

There is also the Elgin Maroons in the Chicago suburbs and Westinghouse Commandos on the South Side as well as the Mt. Carmel Caravan who is a power.

Additionally Evanston Wildkits and New Trier Trevians.

Robinson, IL (my Mom's high school, class of '47) is also the Maroons.

Here’s one: Manitowoc (WI) Shipbuilders—it gets shortened to Ships often.  I remember walking on the campus of St. Norbert College shortly after the Earth cooled for a campus visit.  I noticed someone wearing a jacket with the name on it.  I asked what the story behind it was. Apparently, a lot of ships used to be built there, but now they make ice machines.  A piece of Sputnik came crashing down there in the 1950s, but that story is for another time.

Edited by Gipper

On 11/25/2020 at 4:38 PM, Warren Central Warrior said:

Kentucky has some good nicknames. Bowling Green High School is called the Purples. Trinity is the Shamrocks like Westfield. Warren Central (KY) has New Pal's nickname Dragons.

Henry Clay in Lexington is the Blue Devils.  Interesting choice given UK’s history with Duke University: just ask Christian Laettner.

Edited by Gipper