Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Which Job is better ? Crown Point or Lake Central

Guest DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Geat story

What is KK doing hese days?  Is he retired or still teaching?  Last stop I recall was Franklin County

Last I heard (from guys I coached with who played for Coach KK), he moved across the border to SW Ohio (Cincy area).  As for teaching/coaching, I do not know.  

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I remember working games when Chip played. He was always one of my favorite coaches. Very, very smart guy. But the real All American boy was a guy named Brian Dowling. Look him up sometime.

Hope you appreciate this one.....

When coaching w Chip.

We would come into the Bulldog Center (south of the stadium that housed the coaches and locker rooms) after leaving our respective schools from a day of educating the utes of tomorrow.  😉

We would pick up our practice plans for the day.  If we were playing say Merrillville, we knew we would be there for hours.  One of Pettit's closest coaching friends, OL Coach Mark Croel, would view his PP and begin the Death March music from Star Wars.  We at least knew what to expect when we got out there.

To this day, I have no idea if Chip ever knew what the music meant.  LOL.  We didn't care.  We laughed.  We worked our butts off but man did we have fun too.  We had a GREAT staff for many years.

20 minutes ago, DE said:

Hope you appreciate this one.....

When coaching w Chip.

We would come into the Bulldog Center (south of the stadium that housed the coaches and locker rooms) after leaving our respective schools from a day of educating the utes of tomorrow.  😉

We would pick up our practice plans for the day.  If we were playing say Merrillville, we knew we would be there for hours.  One of Pettit's closest coaching friends, OL Coach Mark Croel, would view his PP and begin the Death March music from Star Wars.  We at least knew what to expect when we got out there.

To this day, I have no idea if Chip ever knew what the music meant.  LOL.  We didn't care.  We laughed.  We worked our butts off but man did we have fun too.  We had a GREAT staff for many years.

I always hated playing Crown Point.  We always seemed to win but we were always beat up after the game.  Tough dudes.

5 minutes ago, DT said:

I always hated playing Crown Point.  We always seemed to win but we were always beat up after the game.  Tough dudes.

I always enjoyed playing CP. They were our (LC) biggest local rival. A lot of mutual friends from youth league teams we played. 

3 minutes ago, DE said:

I always enjoyed playing CP. They were our (LC) biggest local rival. A lot of mutual friends from youth league teams we played. 

They were very physical back in the day.   

6 minutes ago, DT said:

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Who?  CP?  LC?  Both. 

I agree. 

Many times I would’ve been out of the game w today’s rules. 

Maybe Bob had the game. Don’t know. But we were at our place. We ran triple option. We had GREAT backs so most defenses tried to take away our backs on the option and make the QB (me) run. Fine w me. So I turn up the field. Got N and S then and ONLY then could we cut back against the pursuit. So I did. As I did the back side LB was closing in. At the last second I put my head down. He obviously had the momentum because me head was ringing like church bells. I get up. Hand the ball to the U or BJ. Get the signal for the next play. Call the play. We break the huddle, I get under center, and I begin barking out our cadence. Or so thought. I got under our RG. He (Scotty) looks over his left shoulder and says, wtf are you doing?  That is when I knew I was knocked silly. I calmly step out. Begin to move under center. Forgot the entire okay. Took a step out. Turned to the R. Called TO. Jogged over to Coach Britton. And his response was. Why did you call TO?  Not. You ok?  Nothing. 😂 I said I forgot the play. He reads me the riot act the entire TO. The entire team stayed on the field. I get back to the huddle and they are all cracking up. Called the play. And guess what. He had me run the ball again. Got knocked again and all was right w the world. 

Get home to go over game w my dad. He asks the same questions. And said. Don’t do it again and listen to Coach. I said I did. He asked. What he say. I said no clue. I was knocked silly. He said. Then hit him before he hits you. And walks up stairs. 😂 

What a different time. 

3 minutes ago, DE said:

Who?  CP?  LC?  Both. 

I agree. 

Many times I would’ve been out of the game w today’s rules. 

Maybe Bob had the game. Don’t know. But we were at our place. We ran triple option. We had GREAT backs so most defenses tried to take away our backs on the option and make the QB (me) run. Fine w me. So I turn up the field. Got N and S then and ONLY then could we cut back against the pursuit. So I did. As I did the back side LB was closing in. At the last second I put my head down. He obviously had the momentum because me head was ringing like church bells. I get up. Hand the ball to the U or BJ. Get the signal for the next play. Call the play. We break the huddle, I get under center, and I begin barking out our cadence. Or so thought. I got under our RG. He (Scotty) looks over his left shoulder and says, wtf are you doing?  That is when I knew I was knocked silly. I calmly step out. Begin to move under center. Forgot the entire okay. Took a step out. Turned to the R. Called TO. Jogged over to Coach Britton. And his response was. Why did you call TO?  Not. You ok?  Nothing. 😂 I said I forgot the play. He reads me the riot act the entire TO. The entire team stayed on the field. I get back to the huddle and they are all cracking up. Called the play. And guess what. He had me run the ball again. Got knocked again and all was right w the world. 

Get home to go over game w my dad. He asks the same questions. And said. Don’t do it again and listen to Coach. I said I did. He asked. What he say. I said no clue. I was knocked silly. He said. Then hit him before he hits you. And walks up stairs. 😂 

What a different time. 

Love it

On 12/24/2020 at 6:51 AM, DT said:

Do you think he could recreate the Lowell magic with todays Crown Point kids?

My niece was CP Female Athlete of the Year in 2018-2019 so I know what they can do over there when they commit themselves to a sport

Hard telling.  He didn’t exactly set the world on fire at Bloomington South and his teams at Franklin County were average at best.

Kennedy and Lowell were a perfect match. He should have never left. Vince Lombardi himself would not have won at BS when KK was there...it was a dumpster fire inside of a train wreck. He was only at Judson for the  2013 season due to dishonest admin. At Franklin County he was by far the most successful recent coach. 

Could KK win at CP? I doubt it. Kids today are not tough enough to buy into his coaching style. 

6 hours ago, SSHS said:

Kennedy and Lowell were a perfect match. He should have never left. Vince Lombardi himself would not have won at BS when KK was there...it was a dumpster fire inside of a train wreck. He was only at Judson for the  2013 season due to dishonest admin. At Franklin County he was by far the most successful recent coach. 

Could KK win at CP? I doubt it. Kids today are not tough enough to buy into his coaching style. 

Interesting comments.  The only team that didn't look "tough" at the state finals was Hobart.   Maybe it's a Region thing.   

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

This comment shows just how wildly out of touch certain members of GID are lol. 

Disagree.  The only thing I would add is *SOME* kids.  That poster isn't incorrect about part of their comments.  Some kids can not.  I think CP kids could be coached by Coach KK for sure.  

16 minutes ago, DE said:

This is false.  Not ALL kids like to be coached hard.

I apologize. Let me be more specific. This generation of kids is as tough as those who’ve come before them. Most like to be pushed and held accountable, or coached hard. There will always be those who are soft or lazy, and they typically find other activities during the fall, or a place that better suits their personality. 

We could have a whole discussion on this, but I don’t want to hijack Lake Central/Crown Pointe football thread! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Woody_Hayes said:

There will always be those who are soft or lazy, and they typically find other activities during the fall, or a place that better suits their personality. 

We could have a whole discussion on this, but I don’t want to hijack Lake Central/Crown Pointe football thread! 

I hear the e-sports team coaches at the likes of Munster and Hobart high schools are real tough ballbusters.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I knew there was something I liked about DT!

Caitlyn Phillips (10) and Jessica Carrothers (14)  2019.jpg

CP senior Caitlyn Phillips (10).jpg

There is my sweet niece Caitlyn  Her Daddy just recovered from a long and very serious bout with Covid.  

5 minutes ago, DT said:

There is my sweet niece Caitlyn  Her Daddy just recovered from a long and very serious bout with Covid.  

DT;

I think you know what I do (or did before 2020 hit me) so you know how I have these photos and you can believe me when I tell you,

Caitlyn has 2 distinctions for me. 1.) I believe she is the only girl to ever start on two different regional championship teams (basketball and softball) at Crown Point in the same calendar year.

And 2.) while I do not know her (the sad part of following the kids is that there's no time to ever know them), Caitlyn, as I'm sure you already know,  is (or was) as well-spoken a teenager as I have ever run across. 

She didnt know me from a stray dog but she would answer all my stupid questions fully and in complete thought.

These are hard times and I hope her and her dad are doing well. I really do.

Caitlin Phillips and family - 2.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

DT;

I think you know what I do (or did before 2020 hit me) so you know how I have these photos and you can believe me when I tell you,

Caitlyn has 2 distinctions for me. 1.) I believe she is the only girl to ever start on two different regional championship teams (basketball and softball) at Crown Point in the same calendar year.

And 2.) while I do not know her (the sad part of following the kids is that there's no time to ever know them), Caitlyn, as I'm sure you already know,  is (or was) as well-spoken a teenager as I have ever run across. 

She didnt know me from a stray dog but she would answer all my stupid questions fully and in complete thought.

These are hard times and I hope her and her dad are doing well. I really do.

Caitlin Phillips and family - 2.jpg

Mark is one of the best men around. Honest. True. Genuine. We need more Marks in this world.