Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

NFL 2021 Season


Bobref
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, temptation said:

6790B972-24B6-4FD6-9AA4-90AF2980371D.png

That’s a sad sad stat…
Can’t imagine there were many wins before Brady Quinn got the one. I mean they’ve had a ton of flops in the NFL, Rick Mirer, Quinn, Clausen, Kizer. The former notre dame qb who made any noise in the league played at wide receiver Arnaz Battle who did some things for the 49ers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

That’s a sad sad stat…
Can’t imagine there were many wins before Brady Quinn got the one. I mean they’ve had a ton of flops in the NFL, Rick Mirer, Quinn, Clausen, Kizer. The former notre dame qb who made any noise in the league played at wide receiver Arnaz Battle who did some things for the 49ers. 

ND has had some good college QB's over the years. Really the only two that I can think of that did anything as pros would be Theismann (used to be pronounced theseman before coming to ND) and Montana. I did not really consider as much of a stat.........on the same level as osu fans that kept counting the number of days it had been since Michigan had beaten them at football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's when playing for a tie could be a good thing?

https://deadspin.com/here-s-why-colts-jags-should-be-the-game-everyone-watch-1848304055

 

Quote

Imagine you’re taking part in an annual contest at your workplace to determine the finalists for a coveted prize. Everybody wants this prize. People have cheated, backstabbed, and played dirty in the past in order to win this prize. It’s that great. As the time period for determining who the finalists will be closes in, you notice a loophole in the competition’s rulebook that would allow you as well as another coworker to both be finalists.

Would you pull the dirty trick in order to get a shot at the prize? It’s a moral dilemma that even Aristotle would be forced to ponder over. Well, guess what? If the Colts lose to the Jaguars this Sunday, the Raiders and Chargers will find themselves in this exact scenario.

Here's something totally bonkers: If the Colts lose to the Jaguars Sunday, the Raiders and Chargers would both get in with a tie. Literally, there would be no motivation for either team to do anything other than kneel it out 15 times each.

— Adam Beasley (@AdamHBeasley) January 3, 2022
 
 

Basically, if the Colts lose, the winner of Chargers-Raiders is in the playoffs. However, if both teams tie...then both the Chargers and Raiders get into the playoffs. Furthermore, the Colts play at 1 pm ET. The Raiders and Chargers play at 8:20 pm ET. Essentially, both teams would know whether or not this situation would come up hours before they play. That’d give both teams plenty of time to discuss the details, forge out a plan, and pinky swear that they will each kneel the ball on every single play for 70 minutes.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. “There’s no way the NFL would allow this to happen, right?”

 

I mean, sure, they could fine both teams for damaging the integrity of the sport, but what are they going to do in the middle of the game? Call up Buffalo Wild Wings and get a sprinkler to nudge the ball slowly down the field into the endzone? Zero chance. That’s not happening.

“OK, but surely the players involved wouldn’t want to be involved with something as ‘bush league’ as this.”

Really? The NFL has a system in place that gives players $19,000 for losing a playoff game. If they win, their bonuses go way up. There are incentives in place for players to want to reach the playoffs, and it also comes with the opportunity to play for a Super Bowl. Would you really be willing to give that bonus money and championship opportunity up for the integrity of a single regular season game?

Even if the NFL fines every player, the current fine for unsportsmanlike conduct is just $12,875 for first-time offenders and $18,025 for second-time offenders — both lower than the bonuses the players would receive for making the playoffs.

“Alright. Well, the Chargers and Raiders are division rivals. They probably don’t want to see the other make the playoffs at all.”

Are they though? I’d argue that the relationship between the Raiders and Chargers is one of mutual respect, rather than disdain. If you Google “Raiders’ biggest rivals” right now. It’s pretty much agreed that the team’s biggest rival is either Denver or Kansas City, followed in a distant third by the Chargers. There are even some who believe the Steelers, Patriots, and 49ers to be bigger rivals to the Raiders than the Chargers are.

Now, the Chargers are a different story. The Raiders are clearly their biggest rival, but it’s not some huge rivalry that shapes the NFL landscape. If anything, the Chargers should see a bit of themselves in the Raiders — a team that has struggled to stay relevant in recent years and was forced to leave their hometown for a bigger market, and hasn’t really lived up to the hype. They have some common ground to come together on, and reaching the playoffs should be a goal that both teams can agree upon, even if it means the Raiders have to play the Chiefs in the Wild Card Round.

“OK, but there’s no way the Colts lose to the Jaguars, so this is all just a pipe dream.”

Well, I’d hate to break it to you, but the Colts haven’t won a game in Jacksonville since 2014. The Jags have the Colts’ number when they play in Florida. Yes, the circumstances are different this time around. The Colts are in a “win-and-in” situation. They might drop a 50-bomb on the Jaguars just to make sure they walk away with the dub. Still, Jacksonville gave Indy a run for their money in their first meeting of the year and the Jaguars have the history. There’s reason for the Jaguars to feel confident in their ability to win, but maybe they don’t want to win in order to secure the first overall pick. That’s an option too.

What makes this situation even crazier is that the Chargers and Raiders play in primetime, on Sunday Night Football. They play the final regular season game of the season. It’s likely that millions of people will be watching. So, just imagine how awesome it would be to see both teams give a huge middle finger to the entire world as they waltz into the playoffs hand-in-hand. It most likely won’t happen. The players have too much “self-respect” and “dignity” to be involved in something as childish as this, but man, it would be quite the talking point as the NFL playoffs rolled along.

Frankly it would be hilarious if this would come to pass.   Come on NFL you need to change the start time of the Chargers/Raiders game to like 10am Las Vegas time.  🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

image.png.dbf4215edfade22b2877d8a04b748806.png

You know, when it comes to bitter rivalries, there’s something admirable about good old-fashioned spite.

https://news.yahoo.com/think-bad-guy-nfl-mvp-023041333.html

'I think he’s a bad guy': NFL MVP voter won’t cast ballot for Aaron Rodgers

It won't be unanimous.

Hub Arkush, a veteran Chicago sportswriter, told the city's 670 The Score radio station on Tuesday that he will not cast his NFL MVP vote for Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Arkush delivered a scathing review of Rodgers. He did not pull any punches.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice.

"Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

He was just warming up.

“I just think that the way he’s carried himself is inappropriate,” Arkush said. “I think he’s a bad guy, and I don’t think a bad guy can be the most valuable guy at the same time."

Arkush said off-field issues had a lot to do with his decision. Rodgers is unvaccinated and spent 10 days on the COVID-19 reserve list.

“There’s no guidelines,” Arkush said. “We are told to pick the guy who we think is most valuable to his team. And I don’t think it says anywhere, ‘strictly on the field,’ although I do think he hurt his team on the field by the way he acted off the field."

In other words, a Chicago guy won't vote for a guy who "owns" the Bears.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You know, when it comes to bitter rivalries, there’s something admirable about good old-fashioned spite.

https://news.yahoo.com/think-bad-guy-nfl-mvp-023041333.html

'I think he’s a bad guy': NFL MVP voter won’t cast ballot for Aaron Rodgers

It won't be unanimous.

Hub Arkush, a veteran Chicago sportswriter, told the city's 670 The Score radio station on Tuesday that he will not cast his NFL MVP vote for Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Arkush delivered a scathing review of Rodgers. He did not pull any punches.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice.

"Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

He was just warming up.

“I just think that the way he’s carried himself is inappropriate,” Arkush said. “I think he’s a bad guy, and I don’t think a bad guy can be the most valuable guy at the same time."

Arkush said off-field issues had a lot to do with his decision. Rodgers is unvaccinated and spent 10 days on the COVID-19 reserve list.

“There’s no guidelines,” Arkush said. “We are told to pick the guy who we think is most valuable to his team. And I don’t think it says anywhere, ‘strictly on the field,’ although I do think he hurt his team on the field by the way he acted off the field."

In other words, a Chicago guy won't vote for a guy who "owns" the Bears.

 

I saw that......Rodgers called the guy a bum.....and he is right. If Arkush is admitting that play on the field is not a factor in his vote, then he should lose his privilege of voting.

 

That said, Johnathon Taylor is the MVP in my mind. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You know, when it comes to bitter rivalries, there’s something admirable about good old-fashioned spite.

https://news.yahoo.com/think-bad-guy-nfl-mvp-023041333.html

'I think he’s a bad guy': NFL MVP voter won’t cast ballot for Aaron Rodgers

It won't be unanimous.

Hub Arkush, a veteran Chicago sportswriter, told the city's 670 The Score radio station on Tuesday that he will not cast his NFL MVP vote for Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Arkush delivered a scathing review of Rodgers. He did not pull any punches.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice.

"Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

He was just warming up.

“I just think that the way he’s carried himself is inappropriate,” Arkush said. “I think he’s a bad guy, and I don’t think a bad guy can be the most valuable guy at the same time."

Arkush said off-field issues had a lot to do with his decision. Rodgers is unvaccinated and spent 10 days on the COVID-19 reserve list.

“There’s no guidelines,” Arkush said. “We are told to pick the guy who we think is most valuable to his team. And I don’t think it says anywhere, ‘strictly on the field,’ although I do think he hurt his team on the field by the way he acted off the field."

In other words, a Chicago guy won't vote for a guy who "owns" the Bears.

 

What a butt hurt loser.  It’s an ON THE FIELD award and the guy basically has a 9:1 TD:INT ratio for the #1 seed in the NFC.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

What a butt hurt loser.  It’s an ON THE FIELD award and the guy basically has a 9:1 TD:INT ratio for the #1 seed in the NFC.

Add to it, this is NOT about Rodgers’ vaccine stance or even his Summer issues with the front office. This is about one thing and one thing only. 
“I still own you”. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Add to it, this is NOT about Rodgers’ vaccine stance or even his Summer issues with the front office. This is about one thing and one thing only. 
“I still own you”. 
 

Bull.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player.”

He is talking about “punishing his team” by missing the KC game due to his covid pause.  No doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Bull.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player.”

He is talking about “punishing his team” by missing the KC game due to his covid pause.  No doubt.

I know that is what he says…but he has been a Bears beat writer for a LONG time now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I know that is what he says…but he has been a Bears beat writer for a LONG time now. 

I get that but the way that anyone questioning vaccines is black balled these days, nothing would surprise me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I know that is what he says…but he has been a Bears beat writer for a LONG time now. 

Hub Arkush is still a thing?  I thought that guy retired w/ the likes of Hector Salamanca. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

You know, when it comes to bitter rivalries, there’s something admirable about good old-fashioned spite.

https://news.yahoo.com/think-bad-guy-nfl-mvp-023041333.html

'I think he’s a bad guy': NFL MVP voter won’t cast ballot for Aaron Rodgers

It won't be unanimous.

Hub Arkush, a veteran Chicago sportswriter, told the city's 670 The Score radio station on Tuesday that he will not cast his NFL MVP vote for Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Arkush delivered a scathing review of Rodgers. He did not pull any punches.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice.

"Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

He was just warming up.

“I just think that the way he’s carried himself is inappropriate,” Arkush said. “I think he’s a bad guy, and I don’t think a bad guy can be the most valuable guy at the same time."

Arkush said off-field issues had a lot to do with his decision. Rodgers is unvaccinated and spent 10 days on the COVID-19 reserve list.

“There’s no guidelines,” Arkush said. “We are told to pick the guy who we think is most valuable to his team. And I don’t think it says anywhere, ‘strictly on the field,’ although I do think he hurt his team on the field by the way he acted off the field."

In other words, a Chicago guy won't vote for a guy who "owns" the Bears.

 

And then he caves:  https://deadspin.com/hub-arkush-gives-the-game-away-on-what-journalism-is-to-1848313311

Quote

Yesterday, we spent some time talking about a principled stand that AP voter Hub Arkush took on voting for Aaron Rodgers for MVP. You may not agree with the principles, and they were probably on the self-righteous side (it’s been a habit of Hub’s for years), but at least they were his. And you could understand, even if you didn’t agree.

So I guess it wasn’t much of a surprise that Hub walked them all back as soon as anyone got upset, especially Aaron Rodgers, who called Arkush “a bum.”. Arkush posted a groveling apology to anyone who would accept it yesterday, and in the process ripped the hood off what sportswriters, for the most part, are after today.

I made a terrible mistake Tuesday with my Aaron Rodgers comments. It was completely my fault. There is no one else to blame, and I am here to try and apologize.

My column is unlocked and free for all to read here:https://t.co/eVJuzhMccu

— Hub Arkush (@Hub_Arkush) January 6, 2022
 
 

It hit all the notes. Arkush claimed to have made “a terrible mistake.” He mentioned how much of an honor it is to be one of the select few to get to vote for postseason awards in the NFL. He talked about how one of the codes of having that vote is to not disclose any leanings on how he might vote until after the awards are announced. He feared his opinions brought pressure onto other voters, who might be questioned to also make their votes public and reveal the reasons behind their decisions. And then he sucked up harder to Rodgers than a pilot fish.

....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

You can’t unring the bell … especially when he was right. I find the whole thing hilarious in that it enabled Rodgers to do what he does best … play the victim.

That, and own the Bears, of course. 🤣😂

Edited by Bobref
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

You can’t unring the bell … especially when he was right. I find the whole thing hilarious in that it enabled Rodgers to do what he does best … play the victim.

That, and own the Bears, of course. 🤣😂

Especially when he was right, huh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

No doubt!!  He is one exceptional first ballot HOF player.  One of the best.

Hope he stays in GB....just won't seem right if he doesn't

yes sir

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...