Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Catholic Football Needs a Governor to Regulate Out of Control Football Dominance

Guest DT

34 minutes ago, tango said:

Have you no faith?   

Not in that situation, no.  For one thing, we weren’t the team we were the year before.  For another, I know that HH was pretty dang good that year and I saw what Chatard did to them in the finals.

I did my Jethro Bodine gozintas and figured….glad we played East Noble in 4A!

32 minutes ago, DE said:

Was there this much complaining/arguing/justifying/whining about Catholic school football, prior to the internet?

If there was, nobody had a way to express it in a public forum.

But I do remember some talk about splitting off the PPs into their own class when the SF was adopted.  I was like….back to the days of segregation, eh?  Because of a bunch of sore losers?

Oh well.  You’ll always have people who blame the system when somebody else is more successful.

19 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

If there was, nobody had a way to express it in a public forum.

But I do remember some talk about splitting off the PPs into their own class when the SF was adopted.  I was like….back to the days of segregation, eh?  Because of a bunch of sore losers?

Oh well.  You’ll always have people who blame the system when somebody else is more successful.

We have always had public forums.  That is why I prefaced my question w/ pre internet.  I do not recall all this complaining/arguing/justifying/whining about Catholic school football.

I was always a public school kid (K-12).

4 minutes ago, DE said:

We have always had public forums.  That is why I prefaced my question w/ pre internet.  I do not recall all this complaining/arguing/justifying/whining about Catholic school football.

There were usually letters to the editor that had the same complaints/concerns for years; usually after the playoffs were over. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DE said:

It coincides with the expansion of class football.  As you add more classes, you add more Catholic champions.  

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

With Crawfordsville, Hamilton Heights, Yorktown and North Montgomery in the "Sacrificial Lamb" bracket of that Sectional.

Another reason to go to a system of relegation & promotion and ditch the primarily enrollment based classification system.  Those programs currently have zero business being in a playoff sectional with the likes of Chatard, Brebeuf, Guerin and West Lafayette. 

And you will always have those who are perfectly fine lining trophy cases with an advantage they are fully aware of and understand.  It's human nature....I paid for this damn experience therefore I deserve an unfair advantage in a game played by children!

13 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

And you will always have those who are perfectly fine lining trophy cases with an advantage they are fully aware of and understand.  It's human nature....I paid for this damn experience therefore I deserve an unfair advantage in a game played by children!

In that case, I’m getting a crap return on my investment.  Reitz has as much or more football success than we’ve ever had…and they don’t pay anything.

Meanwhile, Chatard has a ton more trophies…and we’re paying almost as much as they do!

You’ve got me thinking about asking for a refund, Titan.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

In that case, I’m getting a crap return on my investment.  Reitz has as much or more football success than we’ve ever had…and they don’t pay anything.

Meanwhile, Chatard has a ton more trophies…and we’re paying almost as much as they do!

Plaques count too!  Perhaps switch to Soccer...almost a guarantee there!

6 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

There is a big difference between the big Indy Pps and the outlier PPs like Evansville, Andrean, St Joe, Marian, LCC and FW.  None of the outliers can survive without the public schools to fill schedule dates.  

The big Indy schools can survive by playing each other and by scheduling home and home games with Ohio PP or public schools.

You could easily have an Indianapolis Catholic League made up of big and small divisions :

Big : Cathedral/Roncalli/Chatard/Brebeuf/Guerin

Small : Ritter/Scecina/Covenant/Lutheran/Heritage

16 minutes ago, DT said:

There is a big difference between the big Indy Pps and the outlier PPs like Evansville, Andrean, St Joe, Marian, LCC and FW.  None of the outliers can survive without the public schools to fill schedule dates.  

The big Indy schools can survive by playing each other and by scheduling home and home games with Ohio PP or public schools.

You could easily have an Indianapolis Catholic League made up of big and small divisions :

The outlier PPs have to play nice with their public brothers.  The Indy PPs dont have that concern.  

Edited by DT

14 minutes ago, DT said:

And yet you advocate for a statewide rule that has no distinction but public or private.

Condolences to the kids at Traders Point.  They’ve never even gotten out of sectional.  But, regardless, they clearly have too many advantages to compete at 1A.  Bump those losers up!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

The outlier PPs have to play nice with their public brothers.  The Indy PPs dont have that concern.  

We don’t “play nice” with our fellow SIAC schools.  We have a terrific relationship with them, and it’s genuine.  Always has been.

We’re all fellow neighbors, coworkers, church  members, bowling leaguers for crying out loud.  Thus the whole idea of “community.”  Why should we stop being as much when the uniforms go on?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

We don’t “play nice” with our fellow SIAC schools.  We have a terrific relationship with them, and it’s genuine.  Always has been.

We’re all fellow neighbors, coworkers, church  members, bowling leaguers for crying out loud.  Thus the whole idea of “community.”  Why should we stop being as much when the uniforms go on?

The inherent PP advantages remain however regardless of the congenial arrangement in Evansville vs the toxic environment in Indy.

7 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

That's what you think...you should hear them at the Baptist Pot Luck in the church basement.

7 hours ago, DT said:

It coincides with the expansion of class football.  As you add more classes, you add more Catholic champions.  

I know this is a football site, mostly, but I wonder why the same can't be said for basketball.

8 hours ago, DE said:

Was there this much complaining/arguing/justifying/whining about Catholic school football, prior to the internet?

No, the internet just gave the whiners that drive this argument more people to indoctrinate

1 hour ago, DE said:

I know this is a football site, mostly, but I wonder why the same can't be said for basketball.

PPs dont dominate basketball like they do football.  Not even close

Just now, DE said:

I know. I’m wondering why. 

It goes down to the Catholic CYU culture.  Kids start playing football at 6 years old.  In pads by 8.  Running formations by 10.  Mimicking high school offenses at 11.  

CYO basketball does not get this kind of attention.

Plus a very high percentage of these CYO kids are average white Catholic boys who turn into football players after 6 years of CYO ball.  

Many public high school kids dont even put on pads until their freshman year.  Just

imagine   the head start these cyo kids get, which is why they are so far ahead and advanced when they reach high school.

Chatard freshman have been running the varsity offense for several years and know how to block, tackle, run pass routes, etc.  Frankfort freshman  kids are still learning how to put their shoulder pads on straight and stand upright in a huddle.  

19 minutes ago, DT said:

It goes down to the Catholic CYU culture.  Kids start playing football at 6 years old.  In pads by 8.  Running formations by 10.  Mimicking high school offenses at 11.  

CYO basketball does not get this kind of attention.

Plus a very high percentage of these CYO kids are average white Catholic boys who turn into football players after 6 years of CYO ball.  

Many public high school kids dont even put on pads until their freshman year.  Just

imagine   the head start these cyo kids get, which is why they are so far ahead and advanced when they reach high school.

Chatard freshman have been running the varsity offense for several years and know how to block, tackle, run pass routes, etc.  Frankfort freshman  kids are still learning how to put their shoulder pads on straight and stand upright in a huddle.  

Possibly, but West Lafayette kids have been running the WL offense since 3rd grade and learning to block, tackle, run pass routes, etc. ... just like the Chatard kids.  And they've been playing against public school 5A/6A kids who have also been running offense and learning since that 3rd/4th grade year and even before in flag football.  Across the city, there's another 6A program that's had its kids suited up and tackling since 3rd grade too.  The other 5A school on the area used to have its kids tackling since 3rd grade too, until it recently moved to flag until around 6th grade.  In essence, at least around here, just about everyone is playing tackle ball since 3rd grade ... public and private alike.

38 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Possibly, but West Lafayette kids have been running the WL offense since 3rd grade and learning to block, tackle, run pass routes, etc. ... just like the Chatard kids.  And they've been playing against public school 5A/6A kids who have also been running offense and learning since that 3rd/4th grade year and even before in flag football.  Across the city, there's another 6A program that's had its kids suited up and tackling since 3rd grade too.  The other 5A school on the area used to have its kids tackling since 3rd grade too, until it recently moved to flag until around 6th grade.  In essence, at least around here, just about everyone is playing tackle ball since 3rd grade ... public and private alike.

That is why WL is an "elite" program.  There are maybe 15 or 20 of them in the state.  BTW, i would not refer to any other Laf area program as "elite"