Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Merrillville (6-0) at Valparaiso (6-0) 10-1-21

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't recall anyone from the region stating that they would beat Center Grove or Cathedral. From what I'm gathering, they'd be happy with just an appearance at state. Even if they do believe they can beat the Indy schools, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of enthusiasm. I guarantee if Snider makes it to state, they'll be there to win it, not just show up and lay down. 

I totally mis-read that, long week lol.

Absolutely! I 100% hope they do. I really hope a DAC school breaks through to LOS, need ALL corners of the state represented Thanksgiving Weekend. 

56 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't recall anyone from the region stating that they would beat Center Grove or Cathedral. From what I'm gathering, they'd be happy with just an appearance at state. Even if they do believe they can beat the Indy schools, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of enthusiasm. I guarantee if Snider makes it to state, they'll be there to win it, not just show up and lay down. 

How will the Snider vs Dwenger fair? I have not heard much about either team this year. 

34 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

I totally mis-read that, long week lol.

Absolutely! I 100% hope they do. I really hope a DAC school breaks through to LOS, need ALL corners of the state represented Thanksgiving Weekend. 

It's all good. There's lots of passion for this great sport whether you're from Indy, Fort Wayne, South Bend, Evansville, Columbus, Lafayette, The Region, and all areas in between. Expecting 6000+ in Valparaiso, 7000 at Carroll, and 4000+ at Dwenger this Friday. 

Just now, Indiana Fan said:

How will the Snider vs Dwenger fair? I have not heard much about either team this year. 

Dwenger is down. Snider is up. Right now it's looking like Snider could go 2-0 against the Saints this year, but all bets are off when these two rivals play one another. An argument could be made that this is the best rivalry in the SAC. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I would be shocked if Valpo isn't at LOS playing Cathedral . 

They're that good that you wouldn't give Snider or Zionsville a chance against them? I would agree that they might be the favorite at this point, not sure I'd be shocked though if they weren't the team representing the north. 

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

The last time Snider went to State was the most entertaining high school football game I can recall watching.

For anyone not affiliated with Snider or New Pal. Most of us had heart trouble during and after the game. 

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

They're that good that you wouldn't give Snider or Zionsville a chance against them? I would agree that they might be the favorite at this point, not sure I'd be shocked though if they weren't the team representing the north. 

I give Zionsville no chance , It's hard to gauge Snider . They have one quality win (Homestead). They narrowly escaped a team that is 1-5 and their other wins were against teams 1-5 records . I would say anything can happen in the playoffs , but I Think Valpo will be playing Cathedral . This Valpo team looks as good as the Jeff Samardzija teams . 

Edited by GOLDRUSH1985
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I give Zionsville no chance , It's hard to gauge Snider . They have one quality win (Homestead). They narrowly escaped a team that is 1-5 and their other wins were against teams with losing records . I would say anything can happen in the playoffs , but I Think Valpo will be playing Cathedral . This Valpo team looks as good as the Jeff Samardzija teams . 

Valpo is a great program. They seem to be good every year and about every 4 years or so they put together a scary good team. It's been like that for decades it seems. 

1 hour ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I give Zionsville no chance , It's hard to gauge Snider . They have one quality win (Homestead). They narrowly escaped a team that is 1-5 and their other wins were against teams 1-5 records . I would say anything can happen in the playoffs , but I Think Valpo will be playing Cathedral . This Valpo team looks as good as the Jeff Samardzija teams . 

I haven't seen Valpo play this year. I'm curious why you feel they're that good? Samardzija's Junior Year was probably when they were their best during his tenure. They had some really good seniors, BIG lines, a big bruising RB (Matt Handlon) who played at Yale. They also had Carl Gioia at PK who was solid at Notre Dame. He nailed the ame winner in 2001 when they finally got past Penn in Regionals.I believe a lot of the Juniors and Seniors that year were guys who Hoffman played on Varsity their Freshman/Sophomore years to have them ready for when they were upper classmen. 

Edited by Boilernation

2 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I won’t count out Zionsville at all.  If they do happen to matchup with Valpo again, the argument could be made they’ve already played at least three teams better than Valpo in the regular season.

The benefit of a 5A team playing in a 6A conference.  They’ll never have wide eyes.

That being said, another blowout loss to a 6A power (Brownsburg) tomorrow night might give me more pause.

Edited by temptation

5 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

For you Region fans, what makes you think that a DAC team would beat CG or Cathedral, when other loaded 6A teams haven't beaten those two programs in 1.5 years? If other elite Indy area programs can't beat CG or Cathedral, I have a hard time believing a DAC team could do it. 

I don’t believe I have seen any Region or DAC person say anything about beating CG or Cathedral? They will compete, especially at the 5A level. Valpo gave Center Grove the best game it faced all season during the 19 season and have become an annual contender in the north. I have a difficult time thinking they would be rolled over. 

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I haven't seen Valpo play this year. I'm curious why you feel they're that good? Samardzija's Junior Year was probably when they were their best during his tenure. They had some really good seniors, BIG lines, a big bruising RB (Matt Handlon) who played at Yale. They also had Carl Gioia at PK who was solid at Notre Dame. He nailed the ame winner in 2001 when they finally got past Penn in Regionals.I believe a lot of the Juniors and Seniors that year were guys who Hoffman played on Varsity their Freshman/Sophomore years to have them ready for when they were upper classmen. 

They may not have the names like Samardzija or Handlon , but they are big,physical and well coached . I saw them the first game of the year and they looked polished . Like they have been playing together for a long time . They played like it was their 7th or 8th game of the year . 

1 hour ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

They may not have the names like Samardzija or Handlon , but they are big,physical and well coached . I saw them the first game of the year and they looked polished . Like they have been playing together for a long time . They played like it was their 7th or 8th game of the year . 

Sorry but I’m gonna call BS on this edition of Valpo rivaling the 2001 Vikings.

They played BD fairly respectable in that state title game in 2001 and were probably a top 5 outfit in the state, maybe even better.

This edition of Valpo is easily top 15 regardless of class, MAYBE top 10 with a win tomorrow night.

9 hours ago, temptation said:

Sorry but I’m gonna call BS on this edition of Valpo rivaling the 2001 Vikings.

They played BD fairly respectable in that state title game in 2001 and were probably a top 5 outfit in the state, maybe even better.

This edition of Valpo is easily top 15 regardless of class, MAYBE top 10 with a win tomorrow night.

Is the Top 10 field better or worse than it was in 2001?

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Is the Top 10 field better or worse than it was in 2001?

That’s a good question but I’m going to go out on a limb and say better due to the current commitment by schools to football and fact that in 2001 there were not nearly as many mega schools nor suburban powers as there are in 2021.

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

That’s a good question but I’m going to go out on a limb and say better due to the current commitment by schools to football and fact that in 2001 there were not nearly as many mega schools nor suburban powers as there are in 2021.

I would agree that things are a bit different 20 years later. So it's possible for the Valpo team to be as good as it was in 2001, but more of a Top 10 or 15 team in 2021 versus being a Top 5 team in 2001. I remember the team of 20 years ago very well. They destroyed what I thought was a pretty good Snider team that year. This new version under the direction of Bill Marshall intrigues me. Biggest game in the state tonight in Valpo. Environment is sure to be rockin. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I would agree that things are a bit different 20 years later. So it's possible for the Valpo team to be as good as it was in 2001, but more of a Top 10 or 15 team in 2021 versus being a Top 5 team in 2001. I remember the team of 20 years ago very well. They destroyed what I thought was a pretty good Snider team that year. This new version under the direction of Bill Marshall intrigues me. Biggest game in the state tonight in Valpo. Environment is sure to be rockin. 

You Beat me to it . A top 5 team in 2001 would for sure only be top 15 in 2021 .