Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’ve already acknowledged that Freeman will likely be a good coach in due time. Don’t think he was qualified at the time for the Notre Dame job and he hasn’t shown me anything yet to change my stance.

I'm willing to go 7-5 and hope that Freeman gets better as he goes as long as the recruits continue to pile in over the next couple of years. 

How bad of a coach is Marcus Freeman?

He was good enough to make the Oklahoma State game look like an Irish blowout in the first half after all we hear all year was how great Oklahoma state was. ND lost, I get it. 

He was good enough to lead Ohio State through three quarters when EVERYONE in the country was calling for a blowout based on all the talent that OSU has. 

Maybe human nature took over against Marshall. Maybe the Marshall kids were really jacked up to be playing in South Bend against the most storied program in college football. Maybe the Notre Dame kids were suffering from an emotional letdown after the buildup of the OSU game. 

Still to early to through this man under the bus. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

This, too, shall pass.

The Irish have passed out of the top 25 in the coach's poll for the first time since 2017.

I'm still on the bus with Freeman.  It's too early to get that crazy, but yesterday was as ugly as I've seen any Irish team play at home, especially against a 20 point underdog.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Not apples to apples.  I root for Michigan in both sports.  

ND football fans root for IU in basketball.

I root for Notre Dame, IU, Purdue, Ball State, and Butler. I don't see anything wrong with that as a resident of Indiana. Notre Dame is my favorite (both sports), but I still root for the others. 

Take someone who lives somewhere between Indy and Fort Wayne. Neither IU nor Notre Dame resides in their back yard. Can you hardly blame those people when both IU basketball and ND football are top national brands?

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I root for Notre Dame, IU, Purdue, Ball State, and Butler. I don't see anything wrong with that as a resident of Indiana. Notre Dame is my favorite (both sports), but I still root for the others. 

Take someone who lives somewhere between Indy and Fort Wayne. Neither IU nor Notre Dame resides in their back yard. Can you hardly blame those people when both IU basketball and ND football are top national brands?

Yes, I can.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, BTF said:

Notre Dame is not an "Indiana" school though. They cater to Chicago, the East Coast, and West Coast. The Chicago media even treats them as a local team. Last time I checked their published admissions reports an applicant would have a better chance of getting admitted to Notre Dame if they went to HS in Ohio as opposed to Indiana.

Edited by Boilernation

22 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Notre Dame is not an "Indiana" school though. They cater to Chicago, the East Coast, and West Coast. The Chicago media even treats them as a local team. Last time I checked their published admissions reports an applicant would have a better chance of getting admitted to Notre Dame if they went to HS in Ohio as opposed to Indiana.

Geographically.................Indiana, geeesh. 

I get it, it's a private school. Therefore open for residents of all states equally. It's a national brand for academics. But it resides in Indiana, therefore it's an Indiana school. I bet a larger percentage of South Bend residents identify with Notre Dame than does Chicago. And who else can Chicago identify with? Can you hardly blame them for adopting Notre Dame? 

How would an Ohio resident have a better chance of admission than one in Indiana? All things being equal, I heard the same thing about admittance into Indiana. 

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

32 minutes ago, BTF said:

Geographically.................Indiana, geeesh. 

I get it, it's a private school. Therefore open for residents of all states equally. It's a national brand for academics. But it resides in Indiana, therefore it's an Indiana school. I bet a larger percentage of South Bend residents identify with Notre Dame than does Chicago. And who else can Chicago identify with? Can you hardly blame them for adopting Notre Dame? 

How would an Ohio resident have a better chance of admission than one in Indiana? All things being equal, I heard the same thing about admittance into Indiana. 

I get it. Notre Dame is located in South Bend. They have tremendous history and residents of Indiana will jump on the bandwagon. Though outside of location, what is "Indiana" about them? I don't see research parks creating jobs across the state with the ND name on them. I don't see Veterinarian's from across the state going to ND for traininng and/or consultations. I don't see medical facilities across the state with ND's name on them. I'd wager less than 5% of their student body is actually from Indiana. 

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Go Northwestern?

Go Loyola?

Go DePaul?

Illinois, Illinois State and don't forget about the downstate Saluki's! A lot of Chicagoland HS kids end up at Southern. That's where my parents met.

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Go Northwestern?

Go Loyola?

Go DePaul?

It all comes down to the football program. Notre Dame wouldn't be a national brand otherwise. I'm sure Chicago residents flocked to their neighboring state in droves back when Rockne was turning Notre Dame into a national football power. 

17 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I get it. Notre Dame is located in South Bend. They have tremendous history and residents of Indiana will jump on the bandwagon. Though outside of location, what is "Indiana" about them? I don't see research parks creating jobs across the state with the ND name on them. I don't see Veterinarian's from across the state going to ND for traininng and/or consultations. I don't see medical facilities across the state with ND's name on them. I'd wager less than 5% of their student body is actually from Indiana. 

Why wouldn't they jump on the bandwagon? The university is in their backyard and an easy drive for a game. 

What is Indiana about them other than being situated in Indiana? All of their employees are Indiana residents. Anyone who supports the university supports the Indiana economy, not Illinois economy. I would also wager that Indiana has the largest percentage of fans inside the 80,000 seat stadium on Saturday. Let's remember, without the fans, Notre Dame isn't what they are today. 

I get what you're saying about parks and medical facilities, and if engaged in a debate, Indiana and Purdue would qualify as "more Indiana" than ND. Is Stanford not California? Good luck explaining that one to California residents. Duke isn't North Carolina? You'll have an uprising there. Vanderbilt isn't Tennessee? Georgetown isn't DC? Tell LA residents that USC isn't California, you'll have anarchy. I can keep going if you like.

Last but not least, if you send a letter to the university, it goes to Notre Dame, IN. Not Notre Dame, IL.

Edited by BTF

18 minutes ago, BTF said:

It all comes down to the football program. Notre Dame wouldn't be a national brand otherwise. I'm sure Chicago residents flocked to their neighboring state in droves back when Rockne was turning Notre Dame into a national football power. 

There is a special connection between the school and Chicago. Don't forget though the West Point cheating scandal helped Leahy significantly in the 40's. That really is what moved the program to another level. 

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

There is a special connection between the school and Chicago. Don't forget though the West Point cheating scandal helped Leahy significantly in the 40's. That really is what moved the program to another level. 

No one is doubting the connection between Notre Dame and Chicago. The debate is whether it's justified for an Indiana resident to claim it as an Indiana school. Most fans, who don't have a degree themselves (and some who do), identify with the University closest to them in proximity. 

Lol, all this just to justify why a resident in Northern Indiana can root for Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball? I doubt the universities care. All they care about is the revenue. 

50 minutes ago, BTF said:

I could be wrong, but I think the term "Subway Alum" was coined by the Chicagoans following Notre Dame.

21 minutes ago, BTF said:

No one is doubting the connection between Notre Dame and Chicago. The debate is whether it's justified for an Indiana resident to claim it as an Indiana school. Most fans, who don't have a degree themselves (and some who do), identify with the University closest to them in proximity. 

Lol, all this just to justify why a resident in Northern Indiana can root for Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball? I doubt the universities care. All they care about is the revenue. 

Let's be clear, it also comes down to results. I'm fairly confidant the reversible jacket IU/ND fan that likes them for "being Indiana teams" choose them over Purdue becuase of historical success. I was a huge ND football fan in Middle School and High School. I was at Soldier Field for Ron Pawlus' first start as QB1. I just started caring less and less about ND the more connected to Purdue I felt.