Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I could be wrong, but I think the term "Subway Alum" was coined by the Chicagoans following Notre Dame.

It's actually a NYC term; referred to fans who did not go to the school who travelled by train regularly from there to South Bend to see them play. 

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

It's actually a NYC term; referred to fans who did not go to the school who travelled by train regularly from there to South Bend to see them play. 

Thanks! I aways thought it was in reference to the Chicago Southside Irish Catholics that love ND. For instance, did Rudy really play at Joliet Catholic or was that just fictionalized for the movie?

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Let's be clear, it also comes down to results. I'm fairly confidant the reversible jacket IU/ND fan that likes them for "being Indiana teams" choose them over Purdue becuase of historical success. I was a huge ND football fan in Middle School and High School. I was at Soldier Field for Ron Pawlus' first start as QB1. I just started caring less and less about ND the more connected to Purdue I felt. 

The late 1980's were a glorious time in the Hoosier state for the reversible jacket crew.  Not so much since.

Just now, Irishman said:

More than likely.........some things need to change quickly with him and his game planning. If Mayer has less than 10 passes to him, the problem grows for Rees. 

Yep.  The Irish are "stuck" with Freeman.  If whomever replaces Rees doesn't work out in a couple of years, he will really start feeling some pressure though.

(I will never be more happy in my life to lose money...(I was on record all summer stating the over on ND wins at 8.5 was a lock)).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Let's be clear, it also comes down to results. I'm fairly confidant the reversible jacket IU/ND fan that likes them for "being Indiana teams" choose them over Purdue becuase of historical success. I was a huge ND football fan in Middle School and High School. I was at Soldier Field for Ron Pawlus' first start as QB1. I just started caring less and less about ND the more connected to Purdue I felt. 

Can't speak for you or anyone else outside of Northeast Indiana. But growing up in the 80's and early 90's, it was pretty easy to root for a team that was relevant on a national scale. That being Indiana basketball and Notre Dame football. Notre Dame is easily closest in proximity for a fan from Fort Wayne to watch a college football game. Michigan and Michigan State are a close second. With regard to Indiana, they bear the states name. That's the reason why Boiler country consists of a pocket in West/Central Indiana and the rest of the state belongs to the Hoosiers. It also helped that IU was winning national championships.

Let's not come down hard on the fans. Fans are the reasons Universities are worth what they are. Take away the fans, take away the glamor. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

(I will never be more happy in my life to lose money...(I was on record all summer stating the over on ND wins at 8.5 was a lock)).

Without taking the time to go back and look, weren't you on record a couple of weeks ago saying that Notre Dame was a 10 win team this year?

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Can't speak for you or anyone else outside of Northeast Indiana. But growing up in the 80's and early 90's, it was pretty easy to root for a team that was relevant on a national scale. That being Indiana basketball and Notre Dame football. Notre Dame is easily closest in proximity for a fan from Fort Wayne to watch a college football game. Michigan and Michigan State are a close second. With regard to Indiana, they bear the states name. That's the reason why Boiler country consists of a pocket in West/Central Indiana and the rest of the state belongs to the Hoosiers. It also helped that IU was winning national championships.

Let's not come down hard on the fans. Fans are the reasons Universities are worth what they are. Take away the fans, take away the glamor. 

The 70's were pretty good too for both IU and ND. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

Without taking the time to go back and look, weren't you on record a couple of weeks ago saying that Notre Dame was a 10 win team this year?

Yep.  Never been more excited to potentially be wrong in my lifetime.

They are now decisive underdogs in at least 3 (BYU, Clemson, USC) of their remaining games.

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The 70's were pretty good too for both IU and ND. 

I have no qualms with someone who supports multiple schools. It's like Temp said in a previous post............fandom. I've been to Assembly Hall, Purcell Pavilion, Mackey Arena, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Worthen Arena, and the Hilliard Gates Center. I've been to Notre Dame Stadium, Ross Aide, and Memorial Stadium. And each one of those universities was grateful for my support money. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yep.  Never been more excited to potentially be wrong in my lifetime.

They are now decisive underdogs in at least 3 (BYU, Clemson, USC) of their remaining games.

Congratulations on feeling so much excitement this early in the season with ND at 0-2 and Michigan at 2-0. 

Currently, I have the Irish as underdogs to Clemson and USC. BYU is looking about even to me. Freeman is off to a rough start, but I think Notre Dame is being underestimated. It takes a pretty good team lead Ohio State 10-7 after three quarters. I'm not going to let their emotional letdown last week damper my hopes that they can still win 9 games. 

Notre Dame Football will continue this year. But the "Thundering Herd?" ND is Totally irrelevant even on the Regional level and Im a Hoosier Irish fan in Carolina. I'll tell ya what they prob will lose to UNC and heaven help them when they meet Clemson. Just a thought. AD at ND dropped the ball on this one.

Edited by globemstr3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BTF said:

Congratulations on feeling so much excitement this early in the season with ND at 0-2 and Michigan at 2-0. 

Currently, I have the Irish as underdogs to Clemson and USC. BYU is looking about even to me. Freeman is off to a rough start, but I think Notre Dame is being underestimated. It takes a pretty good team lead Ohio State 10-7 after three quarters. I'm not going to let their emotional letdown last week damper my hopes that they can still win 9 games. 

Has little to do with Michigan though I am hoping that Michigan's 10/11 win season that is forthcoming will allow them to poach a few ND recruits, lol.

And if you think they are winning 9 games with Drew Pyne under center, you are kidding yourself.

Edited by temptation

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

Has little to do with Michigan though I am hoping that Michigan's 10/11 win season that is forthcoming will allow them to poach a few ND recruits, lol.

And if you think they are winning 9 games with Drew Pyne under center, you are kidding yourself.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Before knowing how serious Buchner's injury was, I commented late Saturday that the Irish were a 7 win team at best with its current QB play. I didn't see how the Irish outscore UNC, Clemson, BYU, and USC, and Syracuse may be sneaky good, we'll know after their game with Purdue Saturday.

I do think the Irish will somehow scrape and claw their way to 6 wins and earn bowl eligibility, but getting a top tier QB in the portal next summer is job #1 for Freeman. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Before knowing how serious Buchner's injury was, I commented late Saturday that the Irish were a 7 win team at best with its current QB play. I didn't see how the Irish outscore UNC, Clemson, BYU, and USC, and Syracuse may be sneaky good, we'll know after their game with Purdue Saturday.

I do think the Irish will somehow scrape and claw their way to 6 wins and earn bowl eligibility, but getting a top tier QB in the portal next summer is job #1 for Freeman. 

Cade McNamara…don’t miss twice.

One thing that has not been mentioned so far; there have been some huge mistakes defensively. Too many blown coverages, blitzes coming from guys that are just too far away. I still have the visual of the safety blitz against OSU and Stroud finding a wide open receiver where a safety would be.......and the blitz not even coming close. The ball was gone by the time the safety even got to the LOS. Soooo it got me thinkin......I remember the moment when the announcers said that Al Golden had so many years of NFL experience. My first thought was ohhh shit, that makes sense. The last Coordinator they had with a lot of NFL experience did not do very well and was fired in the middle of his 3rd season. Prior to that season, our staff went to the coaching clinic at Notre Dame. It is part of the Spring game weekend. We got there Friday, but Thursday night, they have round table sessions with various coaches. So we missed out on that. Our DC and I went to one session, "3rd Down Pressures". Brian Van Gorder was the presenter. I never came away from a session at any clinic in my 30 years feeling more confused about anything. I would have been better off sitting in a class where the teacher spoke Greek, and come away with a better understanding of what I sat through. There were literally 27 different "packages" for 3rd down. My friend and I looked at each other and thought, this is insane. We were not the only ones.....every coach that walked out at the end with us had the same questions....what in THE hell what was that? First thing that came up after he was fired was the same thing we said.......that system is WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too complicated; Kelly said, we need to simplify some things and let our athletes be athletes. Keep in mind Kelly's background is defense. And this was when he had some athletes and great players......in the Jaylon Smith era. 
Soooooo, I am thinking again; kids look lost in coverage. The stunts are ineffective, you will NOT out scheme anyone on this level. Defense at this level boils down to our jimmy's and joe's just being better than yours. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I'm feeling very pessimistic about that one. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

I have no qualms with someone who supports multiple schools. It's like Temp said in a previous post............fandom. I've been to Assembly Hall, Purcell Pavilion, Mackey Arena, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Worthen Arena, and the Hilliard Gates Center. I've been to Notre Dame Stadium, Ross Aide, and Memorial Stadium. And each one of those universities was grateful for my support money. 

Purcell Pavilion!! Admittedly, I had to Google that one. Congrats. You are now the 2nd person I've encountered who actually likes ND basketball. I can actually tolerate watching them win. Brey seems like a good one.

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Irish are wearing the green jerseys for the Cal game....not a fan of that choice. Save them for a rivalry game. 

I tend to agree … although, with so many schools having multiple uniform sets, I think the impact is somewhat diluted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Irish are wearing the green jerseys for the Cal game....not a fan of that choice. Save them for a rivalry game. 

Could also make the argument this game is an absolute MUST win for the Irish so they are treating it like a “rivalry game.”

A loss this weekend and the ship hits the bottom of the ocean.

Edited by temptation

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Could also make the argument this game is an absolute MUST win for the Irish so they are treating it like a “rivalry game.”

A loss this weekend and the ship hits the bottom of the ocean.

I fully agree. That loss to Marshall was BAD, VERY BAD. I get the following: 

1. Charles Huff has Penn State and Saban ties on his resume and is on his way to getting a Power 5 job
  2. Marshall's roster is full of portal transfers from legitimate Power 5 programs

But, Notre Dame essentially let Ohio State beat them twice. They looked like they never recovered from the Ohio State loss and were completely out gameplanned and schemed by Marshall. I heard on one podcast that Marshall's coaches were happy ND never adjusted and didn't just go with a power running game in the 2nd half. They didn't think they could stop ND if they put some power on the line and tried running the ball. 

This is clearly an outsiders viewpoint as I've made it clear I have no love towards Notre Dame, but I feel like they were shocked to be dumped by Kelly, saw they had a pretty backup they could take to the dance in Freeman, and rallied around his charisma and outstanding recruiting abilities. But, sitting one state away, was a proven coach in Fickel that seemingly was never even considered. Who knows. Maybe ND used agents to send feelers out to prospective coaches and the responses they received made it clear Freeman was their best option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

But, Notre Dame essentially let Ohio State beat them twice. They looked like they never recovered from the Ohio State loss and were completely out gameplanned and schemed by Marshall. I heard on one podcast that Marshall's coaches were happy ND never adjusted and didn't just go with a power running game in the 2nd half. They didn't think they could stop ND if they put some power on the line and tried running the ball.

It's almost like getting cute with Ohio State and trying not to get blown out for style points for their end of year resume wasn't such a good idea? I said that right after the Ohio State game and got blasted by other ND posters here. I think Freeman sent a terrible message to his team and that had to kill any confidence that Buchner had. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

This is clearly an outsiders viewpoint as I've made it clear I have no love towards Notre Dame, but I feel like they were shocked to be dumped by Kelly, saw they had a pretty backup they could take to the dance in Freeman, and rallied around his charisma and outstanding recruiting abilities. But, sitting one state away, was a proven coach in Fickel that seemingly was never even considered. Who knows. Maybe ND used agents to send feelers out to prospective coaches and the responses they received made it clear Freeman was their best option.

ND was shell-shocked by Kelly's departure. But ND and Swarbrick caved in to player demands who all rallied behind Freeman immediately after Kelly bolted. It's the same thing that happened at USC with Clay Helton. Freeman was promoted with 72 hours so very hard to believe that ND did a thorough coaching search, let alone interviewed a pool of candidates. USC, Oklahoma, LSU, and Notre Dame jobs were all open this past offseason and Notre Dame by far made the smallest splash.

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

I have to agree with your assessment!  Green can backfire in his instance.  No gimmicks needed for this game, just pay attention to detail and hit anything that moves on the other side of the ball!

53 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

ND was shell-shocked by Kelly's departure. But ND and Swarbrick caved in to player demands who all rallied behind Freeman immediately after Kelly bolted. It's the same thing that happened at USC with Clay Helton. Freeman was promoted with 72 hours so very hard to believe that ND did a thorough coaching search, let alone interviewed a pool of candidates. USC, Oklahoma, LSU, and Notre Dame jobs were all open this past offseason and Notre Dame by far made the smallest splash.

Great point! I forgot how soon the turnaround was in promoting Freeman. You can't let the inmates run the asylum. In fairness to Freeman, he still has a lot of time to write his story at ND. But, you can't convince me they couldn't have found a better option had they done their due dilligence and opened the job up to outside candidates. It's entirely possible that Nebraska will have a better hire than Freeman. I firmly believe the football Gods are through with punishing the Huskers for firing Pelini and they'll end up with a really good coach capable of consistent 7-10 win seasons. I realize that's not good enough for ND fans; however, it currently looks better than Freeman.