Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

My brother’s brother in law and sis-in-law, retired corporate lawyer and college department head from Chicago bought 400 acres in Brown County, built a ginormous house and currently live there. More to the point I was making earlier, that’s not a great game plan for athletic excellence. Plus the fact that I cringe every time I have to go thru there…..

It would take a great coach looking for a hard challenge. Unfortunately that happens about slim to none in the real world.

Just a curious question for you East fans. Have heard that a lot of their assistant coaches are no longer around. Is this true? Hard to keep the success up they had all those years with many of those coaches moving on. Is the current head coach one that will get a 20 year run in there? 

In regards to Brown County, I have heard from some coaches that scrimmage them in the summer. BC has a lot of trouble getting kids to show up for summer workouts and practices, so miss out on a lot of opportunities the other schools are getting. It is noted that this is a lot to do with transportation issues in the county school. 

27 minutes ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

Just a curious question for you East fans. Have heard that a lot of their assistant coaches are no longer around. Is this true? Hard to keep the success up they had all those years with many of those coaches moving on. Is the current head coach one that will get a 20 year run in there?  

I haven’t seen a roster this year but, from what I can tell, I think you’re right. The faces on the sideline are different. David Miller had been a line coach since coming to East in 2006. He quit in order to take the AD position in the spring. Therefore, head coach Eddie Vogel may very well be the only coach from Bob Gaddis’ staff remaining.

21 hours ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

Unfortunately, I'm too far removed to have any info about Vogel being a long-term deal. I know that the (incoming) talent level has dropped overall, not sure if East's lack of success is on coaching, talent, or something else. I'd love to get another career guy (with the same success, lol) for the O's!

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

Unfortunately, I'm too far removed to have any info about Vogel being a long-term deal. I know that the (incoming) talent level has dropped overall, not sure if East's lack of success is on coaching, talent, or something else. I'd love to get another career guy (with the same success, lol) for the O's!

I think it’s a combination of things. I love Coach Vogel but he’s no Coach Gaddis and that was to be expected. I guess the hardest part for me is that I anticipated the fall-off to be gradual. I expected a 6-4 season at some point after Gaddis left. Instead, we went from 8-3 in Gaddis’ last year to 4-6 to another 4-6. And with the way things are looking thus far, we may be lucky to get to 4-6 again.

I think not having Gaddis has something to do with it. I think the coaching staff turnover as a whole has something to do with it. And I also think talent level has something to do with it. Stevie Brown, the Kiel boys, Markell Jones, etc. all had hype surrounding them from the time they were in middle school. When’s the last time East has had kids like that on the team? Granted, coaching should develop players and it has in the past. Therefore, I think all three factors are at play here. There may even be more that I’m not mentioning. I’d heard numbers had dropped off at the youth levels and East definitely isn’t near its peak numbers either. So that could be a fourth factor.

And now that I think about it, size is another factor. The kids lately don’t have the size, strength, and musculature that the elite East teams had. Go to my profile, check out my banner photo, and tell me if you’ve seen an East team looking that big in awhile.

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

🖐️

He's practicing.  He had full body cramps.

Their running back, and right off the top of my head I believe his name is Cal Gates, left the B-North game on crutches. Is he out for the season?

On 8/29/2023 at 2:21 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

This week’s games (week 3):

Columbus East (0-2) at Seymour (1-1, 1-0 HHC)

Jeffersonville (0-2, 0-1 HHC) at BNL (0-2)

Jennings County (2-0) at New Albany (0-2)

Silver Creek (1-1) at Floyd Central (1-1)

Seymour

Bedford North Lawrence

Jennings County

Floyd Central

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Also happens to be our back-up QB.  So last Friday we were down to our 3rd string QB, who played as well as can be expected for a soph, but it was the perfect s***storm for us.

So the starting QB is practicing and the starting RB is questionable. Are there any other key injuries? I want to pick BNL over Jeff but I want to make sure they’re not too banged up.

Columbus East at Seymour 

Jeffersonville at Bedford NL 

Jennings County at New Albany 

Silver Creek at Floyd Central

Columbus East’s dominance is still fresh in everyone’s mind, I still think there’s a stigma about playing East in the conference. I went with Seymour based on their ability to score points and CE’s lack of doing so. Granted CE has faced two significantly better D’s. 

JC at NA is another interesting matchup. JC seems to be enjoying a bit of a revival, but do they have the mindset they can win on the road in the conference? I’m going with they’re too young and dumb to understand all that, they’re 2-0 and feeling good about themselves. 

Looking forward to my first conference game as a spectator. I will admit it was somewhat odd sitting in the stands two weeks ago. 

Ok. My picks.

Im taking Seymour. Very good football team. East doesn’t seem to have much firepower right now. Should be a big game for Perry.

I’m taking BNL. Jeffersonville isn’t good. It’s amazing that a school with around 2000 students and a lot of them being big and athletic, and they can’t field a decent football team. The HHC would be more interesting if they could.

Im taking New Albany. Jennings County looks better. But the teams they’ve played so far are extremely bad. New Albany has played a really good Franklin team and the 3A State Champion in Kentucky with multiple D-1 recruits. New Albany will squeak one out tomorrow.

Im taking Floyd Central by a large margin. This team seems to be turning the corner. They’ve got it all on offense. Experienced QB, a RB that can beat you with power or speed, a big offensive line, and tall WRs with speed. This will be a good tune up for the big showdown at home with Seymour next week.

• Thanks 1