Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

On 9/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

Did some research on student population growth and ranking among HHC schools. As you can see in the charts below, East and Jeff have pretty much stayed the same over the past decade. Floyd Central is growing and Seymour is booming. On the flip side, New Albany and BNL are shrinking while Jennings County is really shrinking.

On the table below, the ‘11/‘12-‘12/‘13 classification cycle doesn’t have a population number with it because I couldn’t go back that far on the IHSAA website. It only shows the rankings for that cycle. Each cycle after that contains the student population and rank, as well as the percent change from the previous cycle. The final column shows the percent change from ‘13/‘14-‘14/‘15 to now.

7DCF2842-DF6E-4506-979A-12A30F82B476.jpeg

B6EBD9E0-620F-4C40-B89A-07365120955C.jpeg

DFB3F7CB-1F74-4F0D-9EB9-98F0F8AE16AA.jpeg

What does “HHC Student Population Rank” chart mean?

I would guess JC’s biggest population drop was the loss of “students” from the former Butlerville facility. What losses they’ve seen since is just a natural contraction of people leaving the area or choosing other schools. Sports transfers would account for some of this loss, but I suspect it’s a very small percentage of the loss. 

Good insight I’m sure with a little time on the DOE website we could tie some other stats like free and reduced lunches to these numbers and it would give us some real insight into what’s going on. 

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

What does “HHC Student Population Rank” chart mean?

I would guess JC’s biggest population drop was the loss of “students” from the former Butlerville facility. What losses they’ve seen since is just a natural contraction of people leaving the area or choosing other schools. Sports transfers would account for some of this loss, but I suspect it’s a very small percentage of the loss. 

Good insight I’m sure with a little time on the DOE website we could tie some other stats like free and reduced lunches to these numbers and it would give us some real insight into what’s going on. 

Sorry for the confusion. Student population rank is where the school ranks in the state based on student population. For instance, Columbus East is the 61st biggest school in the state based on the most recent classification cycle data. The table includes the student population rank of each school during each cycle. The chart just kind of gives a visual of how each school’s rankings have varied over the last decade. 

Edited by Frozen Tundra

6 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Sorry for the confusion. Student population rank is where the school ranks in the state based on student population. For instance, Columbus East is the 61st biggest school in the state based on the most recent classification cycle data. The table includes the student population rank of each school during each cycle. The chart just kind of gives a visual of how each school’s rankings have varied over the last decade. 

That’s what I thought, unfortunately being red/green colorblind I’ve learned to really hate colored charts;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Kinda shocked you guys are taking My Vernon, it’s MV Posey isn’t it?

Yes. MV beat them last year 35-13. MV does have to travel to Jeff this year, so that could impact it some since it is a haul. But Jeff has struggled so I think it's certainly possible. 

• Like 1

Pre-game analysis 

Mt Vernon/Jeffersonville; Jeffersonville hasn’t been as bad as I thought they’d be. Nick Schindler has been solid at QB. They’re pretty big on their OL. I think with the long trip to Jeffersonville, I could see Jeffersonville pulling this game out over a solid Mt Vernon team.

East/JC; Jennings looks a lot better. But East is too much for most HHC teams even in a down year. I don’t see this one being close. I expect a big game from Ethan Duncan.

BNL/NA; Not an easy game to pick. NA definitely isn’t as good. I’m not sure about BNL yet but they had a decent win last Friday. The one edge I give to BNL is that I like their QB, Loudon, a lot. I’ll pick BNL in a game where every TD will be like found money.

Seymour/FC; Really hard to pick this game. It’s a head vs heart thing. These teams are so similar. Floyd Central didn’t get to play them at home last season. 2 years ago we beat them up there in a blowout win. It’s a good QB battle. Robertson vs Perry. Should be entertaining. FC typically doesn’t play well up there. The difference here is that I think Floyd Central has the better defense. They can be vulnerable on the back end of their defense. But their front 7 is pretty good and even showed up against the Louisville teams. I expect this to be an entertaining game and I’ll pick my Highlanders to win by a small margin.

Week 4 Picks

Bedford North Lawrence (1-2, 1-0 HHC) at New Albany (1-2, 1-0 HHC): This has been a tight series with BNL leading 23-21. The Stars looked rough for most of last week’s game with Jeffersonville but made a heck of a comeback at the end to win. On the other hand, the Bulldogs don’t impress me. Their losses weren’t close and their six point win at Jennings County isn’t great. BNL is my pick.

Floyd Central (1-2, 0-0 HHC) at Seymour (1-2, 1-1 HHC): Another tight series here as the Owls lead it 14-12. Seymour won 11 out of the first 14 games but, ever since 2009, the Highlanders are 9-3. Both teams have key injuries but I feel like Floyd Central has the better win (Silver Creek as opposed to Jeffersonville). For that, I’m picking the Highlanders.

Jennings County (1-2, 0-1 HHC) at Columbus East (1-2, 1-0 HHC): We go from two tight series to this one. Columbus East leads it 44-7 and has won the last 24. The average score in those 24 games? 46-9. The Panthers have been shut out in three of the last five games and haven’t put up more than a touchdown on the Olympians since 2013. I don’t see much changing this year, even with East not being that great. East wins big.

Mount Vernon (Posey) (2-1) at Jeffersonville (0-2): These teams met for the first time ever last year, a 35-13 win for the Wildcats. I keep going back and forth in my head over which team I’ll pick. The Red Devils have let their first two games slip from their grasp late, but Mount Vernon has played a really weak schedule. Their two wins are against teams that are a combined 1-5. I might regret this but I feel like Jeff will come in with a chip on their shoulder and finally close out a game. Plus I think they’ll be the fresher team due to not having to take a near two and a half hour bus ride. I’ll go with Jeffersonville.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Floyd scores to make it 7-7 at half. It shouldn’t be this hard. Seymour isn’t that talented.

Correction. 7-6. Jinxed the kicker.

Turn-overs and a couple other boneheaded moves let East take the wind out of Seymour way last week.  They definitely were better than that games showed.  Floyd likely came in with the edge but figured it could be close if Seymour just played a cleaner game.