Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

20 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

It’s a shame to see how far Shelbyville has fallen. I remember East playing them for three sectional championships since 2004. There were years when they were the second best team in the sectional behind East. When East moved to 5A, Shelbyville had years where they were just behind East Central as the best team in the sectional.

Seymour played them in the sectional championship in 99, one of the tougher games they had in the tournament until they got to Cathedral of course. I bet Chris Rose still has nightmares about Otis Shannon lol. 

12 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Seymour played them in the sectional championship in 99, one of the tougher games they had in the tournament until they got to Cathedral of course. I bet Chris Rose still has nightmares about Otis Shannon lol. 

Yeah I saw Shelbyville has played in seven sectional championship games in their history and lost all seven. They either ran into Columbus East or East Central and then there was a year with Roncalli and the year with that legendary Seymour team.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why HHC games are scheduled in the same exact order every single year? I’m not talking about non-conference games. I’m aware each team has designated weeks for conference games. I’m just asking why, for example, I know year-in and year-out that Columbus East gets Seymour in week 3, Jennings County in week 4, New Albany in week 5, Floyd Central in week 6, Jeffersonville in week 8, and BNL in week 9. Why can’t it be switched up every year or every other year?

9 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Does anyone know why HHC games are scheduled in the same exact order every single year? I’m not talking about non-conference games. I’m aware each team has designated weeks for conference games. I’m just asking why, for example, I know year-in and year-out that Columbus East gets Seymour in week 3, Jennings County in week 4, New Albany in week 5, Floyd Central in week 6, Jeffersonville in week 8, and BNL in week 9. Why can’t it be switched up every year or every other year?

I would hate that as a coach. 

My question would be... why would does it need to be? 

10 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

One word. Lazy.

13 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

My guess is conference games are long term contracts, thus in an AD’s mind set in stone. The only real changes you ever see are with conference changes. Why does CN/CE always play week 2? You know what finding football opponents is like, and jiving up who needs a home game, and the myriad of other factors. 

4 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I would hate that as a coach. 

My question would be... why would does it need to be? 

The MSC isn’t the same way?

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

My guess is conference games are long term contracts, thus in an AD’s mind set in stone. The only real changes you ever see are with conference changes. Why does CN/CE always play week 2? You know what finding football opponents is like, and jiving up who needs a home game, and the myriad of other factors.

So if conference games are long term contracts then does that also include the date? Otherwise, I don’t understand why it would be in the same order.

As for Columbus East and Columbus North, the game hasn’t always been in week 2 although it has been since 2000. Because of conference schedules, that is the best week for it and I’m ok with rivalry games always being the same week. But week 2 works best because week 1 helps you see where you’re at before going into a rivalry game. Technically, they could have it later in the year now that both conferences are below eight members, but I think the warmer weather in week 2 help makes it such a huge draw for the community.

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Yes it is. 

He asked, "why can't it be switched up every other year" and I replied with "why does it need to be" 

I don't understand why it would ever need switched. 

9 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

One word. Lazy.

That's ridiculous. It makes no sense, there's no need, to just randomly switch up the schedule.  What purpose would that serve? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Yes it is. 

He asked, "why can't it be switched up every other year" and I replied with "why does it need to be" 

That's ridiculous. It makes no sense, there's no need, to just randomly switch up the schedule.  What purpose would that serve? 

As a fan, it just feels boring. 

If I was a fan of another team aside from East, I would feel like the schedule layout helped East stay unbeaten in conference longer than they would’ve been if it had been switched up.

For instance, those last three years under Gaddis had some teams that got off to really slow starts. In 2018, I’m not sure East would’ve been unbeaten in conference play had they not started off with Seymour and Jennings County. New Albany nearly beat us in week 5 and BNL nearly beat us in week 9. Had either or both of those games taken place in weeks 3 or 4 then I’m not sure East makes it to 2021 with a 14 year HHC unbeaten streak.

So that’s why I’m in favor of switching the schedule up every other year. If Floyd Central and New Albany want to keep their rivalry in week 9 then they should but it would be nice to mix everything else up.

9 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I do think some ADs get lazy. But Coach Bragg explained to me last year how hard it is to find opponents and schedule around teams. Seymour couldn’t play them in 2021 because of Covid so he was trying to schedule a game on short notice. Some team down in Kentucky said they wouldn’t play them because they must be good since they play Louisville Male and Louisville Manual(those have since ended), and coach was like, “Man, my team is 0-3 right now.”  ended up getting Daviess County though a few days later.

3 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Yes it is. 

I agree with you. I’ve just heard that some ADs get lazy with this stuff. And for the record, I am not talking about Floyd Centrals AD. He’s pretty active.

On 5/9/2023 at 9:07 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

As a fan, it just feels boring. 

If I was a fan of another team aside from East, I would feel like the schedule layout helped East stay unbeaten in conference longer than they would’ve been if it had been switched up.

For instance, those last three years under Gaddis had some teams that got off to really slow starts. In 2018, I’m not sure East would’ve been unbeaten in conference play had they not started off with Seymour and Jennings County. New Albany nearly beat us in week 5 and BNL nearly beat us in week 9. Had either or both of those games taken place in weeks 3 or 4 then I’m not sure East makes it to 2021 with a 14 year HHC unbeaten streak.

So that’s why I’m in favor of switching the schedule up every other year. If Floyd Central and New Albany want to keep their rivalry in week 9 then they should but it would be nice to mix everything else up.

That doesn't seem like much of a reason to switch it up, imo. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

That doesn't seem like much of a reason to switch it up, imo. 

Depends on who you are I guess. When you look at college football, those conferences don’t schedule the same games in the same weeks year after year (except for rivalries). Even when conferences were small enough that you could play every team it still didn’t occur.

Is it a huge deal that the HHC schedule is always the same? No. It would just be a nice change of pace though. Wouldn’t hurt anything if they did it. I’m sure there’s some random scheduling generator computer program they could use to schedule games given the constraints involved if they didn’t want to take the time to do it manually. 

Also of note most scheduling software just automatically fills in the corresponding date for next year if you don’t manually intervene. Seymour softball still plays Clarksville on a Saturday at 2:00 which is a really odd time for a HS SB game. The reason why is in 2011 I had to move the game back because I had like five starters taking the ACT that morning. So 12 years later it’s still the same. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Also of note most scheduling software just automatically fills in the corresponding date for next year if you don’t manually intervene. Seymour softball still plays Clarksville on a Saturday at 2:00 which is a really odd time for a HS SB game. The reason why is in 2011 I had to move the game back because I had like five starters taking the ACT that morning. So 12 years later it’s still the same. 

Maybe that’s why our track meets with Bloomington South were always on Final Four Saturday at 10 AM. Never had Saturday track meets against any other team unless it was part of a multi-team invitational.

• Thanks 1

I can’t complain too much about the schedule. This is the most favorable schedule that I can remember FC having.

No Louisville Male or Manual.

Unfortunately a road game at St X which is tough.

Home games against Terre Haute South, BNL, Seymour, JC, and Silver Creek.

Road games against St X, East, NA, and Jeffersonville.

I’d take that every season.

Our fans barely have to travel.

Edited by Fkfootball

• 1 month later...

My son was throwing with a couple of Seymour receivers last weekend and they were both hard working and talented.  Kyle and Josh(?) I believe? 

Seymour also has Jaylan Johnson, who could be a top receiver in the state this upcoming season.  I'm not sure how good their QB is but if Seymour can pass the ball then these three could cause some serious problems for teams.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:12 AM, Bulldog15 said:

My son was throwing with a couple of Seymour receivers last weekend and they were both hard working and talented.  Kyle and Josh(?) I believe? 

Seymour also has Jaylan Johnson, who could be a top receiver in the state this upcoming season.  I'm not sure how good their QB is but if Seymour can pass the ball then these three could cause some serious problems for teams.

Their QB is Brett Perry. And he’s good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarkCalaway said:

For each school in the conference; let's hear your thoughts on the best team, coach, player, etc. throughout the years.

For Columbus East it’s no doubt the 2013 undefeated 4A state championship team. They absolutely steamrolled everybody up to the championship game. They won their first 14 games by 28 or more and that includes wins against ranked opponents such as Jasper at regionals and New Palestine at semistate. They came from behind to beat Fort Wayne Dwenger in the state championship by 1.

Best coach is Bob Gaddis for obvious reasons. 

Best player is a tough one. It would probably be Stevie Brown (2002-2005) if you base it on the fact he was a Swiss Army knife and could fit in anywhere on the field and excel. Played four years at Michigan before having a short NFL career. If you want to base the best player on records set then it would be Markell Jones (2011-2014). He set the state record for rushing yards in a season in his senior year. He came close to the career rushing yardage record and probably would’ve gotten it had East made the state title game. 

On 7/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

For Columbus East it’s no doubt the 2013 undefeated 4A state championship team. They absolutely steamrolled everybody up to the championship game. They won their first 14 games by 28 or more and that includes wins against ranked opponents such as Jasper at regionals and New Palestine at semistate. They came from behind to beat Fort Wayne Dwenger in the state championship by 1.

Best coach is Bob Gaddis for obvious reasons. 

Best player is a tough one. It would probably be Stevie Brown (2002-2005) if you base it on the fact he was a Swiss Army knife and could fit in anywhere on the field and excel. Played four years at Michigan before having a short NFL career. If you want to base the best player on records set then it would be Markell Jones (2011-2014). He set the state record for rushing yards in a season in his senior year. He came close to the career rushing yardage record and probably would’ve gotten it had East made the state title game. 

Do not think can overlook the 79 team with Blair Kiel and Tom Hendrickson and a really good team. A first for south of Indy winning the big school title. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Do not think can overlook the 79 team with Blair Kiel and Tom Hendrickson and a really good team. A first for south of Indy winning the big school title. 

That’s fair. That 3A championship was in the largest class at the time which is obviously a big deal. I might be blinded by the fact it was ten years prior to my birth which is why I went with 2013. Aside from that championship game, I never saw that team play.

17 hours ago, ragdoll said:

That team was LOADED!  Having seen both teams, I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison. They game is just played so differently today. That being said, I’m sure had this team been in the current era, I think they would have been just fine. 

• Like 1

On best teams ever, I will note that Bedford had good teams in 79 and 80. This was points era and only a four teams would playoff qualify south of Indy large school and Richmond was in that mix. Bedford had good size and tough I heard from older friends. 79 team only lost to East, including sectional. 80 team actually won conference by beating East, but East went to playoffs instead to face Martinsville because Bedford opened season against Martinsville back then. 

Since Shelbyville was brought up, their 84 team was strong and tough, very stingy defense. Beat Martinsville and CG (beating them out for cluster) during undefeated regular season. Unfortunately for them, Martinsville edged them 7-3 in sectional rematch. 

New Albany was tough matchup in 84 regional for Martinsville, very good team. The 2002 team may be considered top team, beating undefeated defending regional champ Reitz in sectional before getting overpowered in regional at CG on very wet, cold, windy night, which made passing challenging. 

Jeffersonville had some good squads in 90's when Bloomington South had many dominant teams. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ragdoll said:

On best teams ever, I will note that Bedford had good teams in 79 and 80. This was points era and only a four teams would playoff qualify south of Indy large school and Richmond was in that mix. Bedford had good size and tough I heard from older friends. 79 team only lost to East, including sectional. 80 team actually won conference by beating East, but East went to playoffs instead to face Martinsville because Bedford opened season against Martinsville back then. 

Since Shelbyville was brought up, their 84 team was strong and tough, very stingy defense. Beat Martinsville and CG (beating them out for cluster) during undefeated regular season. Unfortunately for them, Martinsville edged them 7-3 in sectional rematch. 

New Albany was tough matchup in 84 regional for Martinsville, very good team. The 2002 team may be considered top team, beating undefeated defending regional champ Reitz in sectional before getting overpowered in regional at CG on very wet, cold, windy night, which made passing challenging. 

Jeffersonville had some good squads in 90's when Bloomington South had many dominant teams. 

I was in attendance for several games you listed. Good stuff man.