Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

4 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Maybe familiarity, I don't know. I'd like to see us schedule someone comparable, and closer.  We've won 7 out of the last 10 meetings.  If you can schedule in 1/3's: 3 teams you should beat, 3 teams you have to play good to beat, and 3 teams you have to play your absolute mistake free best to beat, they have their place.

BNL/Brownstown would be a good series. Fairly close to each other.

2 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

BNL/Brownstown would be a good series. Fairly close to each other.

It would but, unfortunately, it wouldn’t work out scheduling-wise. Unless they give up their non-conference rivalry game with Seymour, the only week Brownstown has available is week 7 and that’s the week BNL plays Floyd Central.

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

It would but, unfortunately, it wouldn’t work out scheduling-wise. Unless they give up their non-conference rivalry game with Seymour, the only week Brownstown has available is week 7 and that’s the week BNL plays Floyd Central.

Yeah that’s kind of what I figured. That’s what makes scheduling so hard. 

18 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I would love for somehow BC/BNL to play week 1. 

That would be a very well attended game.  Good gate for both schools. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

With four Pac-12 teams headed to the Big Ten, does this open the door for Hobart, Lowell, East Chicago Central, and Munster to the HHC? Just wondering…

I remember Knight bitching about the late night trip from Penn State. 

It’s only a matter of time until the conferences create their own Basketball Tournament and at that point the NCAA is over. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I remember Knight bitching about the late night trip from Penn State. 

It’s only a matter of time until the conferences create their own Basketball Tournament and at that point the NCAA is over. 

I’m with Bob Knight. Penn State should’ve never been in the Big Ten, nor should the next seven teams to get invited. I wish conferences were capped at 10 teams in the collegiate level and at 8 at the high school level. When your conference is so big that you can’t play each other every year then it’s too big.

As for your second comment, I completely agree. When that happens, I think I’m done with it. 

• Like 1

Who does everyone scrimmage Friday?  Are you happy with your opponent?  Who would you rather scrimmage?

BNL @ Mitchell.  I understand why we scrimmage them, the county rivalry thing, but I think both teams would be better served to find new scrimmage opponents.

I'd like to see the Stars scrimmage Owen Valley.

1 hour ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Who does everyone scrimmage Friday?  Are you happy with your opponent?  Who would you rather scrimmage?

BNL @ Mitchell.  I understand why we scrimmage them, the county rivalry thing, but I think both teams would be better served to find new scrimmage opponents.

I think it has a lot more to do with what you’re trying to accomplish with your scrimmage. Everyone is going to look like shit. First time at game speed, a lot of stuff still hasn’t been installed offensively and defensively, I think sometimes your more interested in looking at combinations of players, technique type stuff, and really just competing. One caveat I find interesting is at some point during this scrimmage something is going to go awry, how do my players react to that? Those type of things vs did we beat Mitchell. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:08 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

I’m with Bob Knight. Penn State should’ve never been in the Big Ten, nor should the next seven teams to get invited. I wish conferences were capped at 10 teams in the collegiate level and at 8 at the high school level. When your conference is so big that you can’t play each other every year then it’s too big.

As for your second comment, I completely agree. When that happens, I think I’m done with it. 

Here’s my beef with this whole thing and perhaps I have some romantic notion of college sports. The decision to make all these conference changes is first, foremost, and ONLY about money. Specially Football and MBB money. What about the wrestling team, or the women’s LAX team, or the swim teams? You know the student athletes who don’t have a million dollar contract at the end of their rainbow? What have we really done to them? Does Maryland really have to travel to Eugene, OR to find competition? What does this do to any Big Ten school’s travel budget? Will all of this cash be rolling downstream to the women’s LAX team? Somehow I doubt it. Scott Hall Softball HC at Butler told me when they joined the Big East their travel expenses went up 70K, and they receive $0 in budget bump. Barry Collier made the decision based only on MBB. All any of this does is hasten the end of the NCAA. And while I know I’m old and from another time, there are still NCAA student athletes out there, we’re setting for the money and the aid of a handful of players who will see the next level. 

38 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I think it has a lot more to do with what you’re trying to accomplish with your scrimmage. Everyone is going to look like shit. First time at game speed, a lot of stuff still hasn’t been installed offensively and defensively, I think sometimes your more interested in looking at combinations of players, technique type stuff, and really just competing. One caveat I find interesting is at some point during this scrimmage something is going to go awry, how do my players react to that? Those type of things vs did we beat Mitchell. 

The scrimmage is the first place you get to find out what you need to fix.  It's there to expose those hidden weaknesses.  I've seen plenty of instances, not just with these two teams, where team A runs roughshod over team B in the scrimmage.  Team A goes on to get punched in the mouth week 1 because weaknesses emerged that they didn't know they had. Team B gets the same because they didn't know what to focus on that next week.   So, I agree, it's not about the competition, it's about getting the "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed.

39 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Here’s my beef with this whole thing and perhaps I have some romantic notion of college sports. The decision to make all these conference changes is first, foremost, and ONLY about money. Specially Football and MBB money. What about the wrestling team, or the women’s LAX team, or the swim teams? You know the student athletes who don’t have a million dollar contract at the end of their rainbow? What have we really done to them? Does Maryland really have to travel to Eugene, OR to find competition? What does this do to any Big Ten school’s travel budget? Will all of this cash be rolling downstream to the women’s LAX team? Somehow I doubt it. Scott Hall Softball HC at Butler told me when they joined the Big East their travel expenses went up 70K, and they receive $0 in budget bump. Barry Collier made the decision based only on MBB. All any of this does is hasten the end of the NCAA. And while I know I’m old and from another time, there are still NCAA student athletes out there, we’re setting for the money and the aid of a handful of players who will see the next level. 

Yeah I wish football broke away from the NCAA so that every other sports team and student-athlete didn’t have to be affected by the ridiculous conference changes. Money is definitely the driving factor.

Nevertheless, here all I’m thinking about is the football side of things and then you hit things close to home when you mentioned the situation at Butler. I’m a huge Butler fan, with men’s basketball being the team I support the most. While I never found the moves from the Horizon League to the Atlantic 10 to the Big East ridiculous, the fact the budgets didn’t bump up in other sports is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah I wish football broke away from the NCAA so that every other sports team and student-athlete didn’t have to be affected by the ridiculous conference changes. Money is definitely the driving factor.

Nevertheless, here all I’m thinking about is the football side of things and then you hit things close to home when you mentioned the situation at Butler. I’m a huge Butler fan, with men’s basketball being the team I support the most. While I never found the moves from the Horizon League to the Atlantic 10 to the Big East ridiculous, the fact the budgets didn’t bump up in other sports is ridiculous. 

My kid played a non-revenue college sport, believe me I feel it. 

3 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Columbus East and Jennings County are still scrimmaging the same teams they always do. Columbus East will be at Martinsville and Jennings County will host Brownstown Central.

3 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

I guess... why, respectfully? Like why would OV be a great opponent to have in a scrimmage and not Mitchell? 

Also.. who does OV scrimmage, currently? 

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I guess... why, respectfully? Like why would OV be a great opponent to have in a scrimmage and not Mitchell? 

OV had a great run last year…..I would challenge anyone on this board from recollecting when was the last “great run?” I’ve seen them several times over the years….it’s typically been mediocre at best. 

18 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

OV had a great run last year…..I would challenge anyone on this board from recollecting when was the last “great run?” I’ve seen them several times over the years….it’s typically been mediocre at best. 

My post wasn't a shot at OV, at all. Just... proximity, all that... in my eyes, I don't see that OV is some massive upgrade over Mitchell, in terms of a scrimmage... idk.  I understand what you're saying, just building on that. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I can’t recollect anything related to Owen Valley but I was able to look it up thanks to the Almanac Sports website. Their season-by-season record is on the right side of the screenshot.

4FBFE2CF-B99F-42E9-86D0-8A01DC785D97.jpeg

31 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

My post wasn't a shot at OV, at all. Just... proximity, all that... in my eyes, I don't see that OV is some massive upgrade over Mitchell, in terms of a scrimmage... idk.  I understand what you're saying, just building on that. 

I’m not making a disparaging comment regarding OV. My point being how is this an upgrade? I think BNL achieves what the coaching staff hopes to achieve and you can’t get to OV from ANYWHERE. 

18 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I don't know who they scrimmage, coach.  I'd gladly substitute BC for Mitchell as well. 

The last 3 years, BNL has performed well against Mitchell in the scrimmage, and in my opinion, gained an unrealistic sense of ability.  We meet up with Martinsville in week 1, and it takes us 2 quarters to get acclimated to better competition. We play catch-up the rest of the game.

The talent gap between OV and Martinsville is smaller than the gap between Mitchell and Martinsville (even in OV's typical mediocre years....they play in a tougher conference.)  I think OV would push us more and expose more weaknesses.  

The other reason....this game turn's into, "let's beat the other team" type of competition, because of close proximity, old rivalries, kids switching schools, etc.  It's just not constructive for BNL.

16 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I’m not making a disparaging comment regarding OV. My point being how is this an upgrade? I think BNL achieves what the coaching staff hopes to achieve and you can’t get to OV from ANYWHERE. 

BNL is closer to OV than any other HHC school besides Seymour, and that's only by a few miles.

• Like 1