Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

The irony of the fact that the only two HHC teams left are the ones that beat East. Couldn’t have been more appropriate. Trying to decide if I should make the short drive over to Seymour to watch the game, spend an hour in the car to watch Chatard at Roncalli, or spend an hour in the car to watch Brownstown Central at Lawrenceburg. Better food options on the south side of Indy and slightly better food options in the Lawrenceburg area in comparison to Seymour, but not more convenient drives.

No brainer, Holy War 2021 V2.0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

The irony of the fact that the only two HHC teams left are the ones that beat East. Couldn’t have been more appropriate. Trying to decide if I should make the short drive over to Seymour to watch the game, spend an hour in the car to watch Chatard at Roncalli, or spend an hour in the car to watch Brownstown Central at Lawrenceburg. Better food options on the south side of Indy and slightly better food options in the Lawrenceburg area in comparison to Seymour, but not more convenient drives.

Sorry for the double post, couldn’t edit. If you end up at Seymour, I’d recommend Brooklyn Pizza/ Seymour Brewery. Right up 2nd Street from SHS. Or Rockford Ridge Drive in on 11 north of town. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sorry for the double post, couldn’t edit. If you end up at Seymour, I’d recommend Brooklyn Pizza/ Seymour Brewery. Right up 2nd Street from SHS. Or Rockford Ridge Drive in on 11 north of town. 

Love me some Rockford Ridge.. I actually just ate at the Fish House on Saturday, another one of my favorites. 

• Like 2

Based on the progress of the year and the earlier head to head I’m assuming pretty much everyone’s is taking New Albany over Seymour.  Which on the surface then doesn’t leave much discussion left here for the year.  

But to keep a little of the talk going I’ll pose this question.  What does Seymour need to do one both sides of the ball on Friday to keep the game within a punchers chance at the 2 min. drill?

45 minutes ago, TheMadness1 said:

Based on the progress of the year and the earlier head to head I’m assuming pretty much everyone’s is taking New Albany over Seymour.  Which on the surface then doesn’t leave much discussion left here for the year.  

But to keep a little of the talk going I’ll pose this question.  What does Seymour need to do one both sides of the ball on Friday to keep the game within a punchers chance at the 2 min. drill?

I don’t know much about either team, but you can’t score if you don’t have the ball. Move the chains, use the whole play clock, and limit NA’s big plays. 

56 minutes ago, TheMadness1 said:

Move the ball and eat up the clock.. New Albany is going to come after the QB time after time again.. they have the speed to do It on defense. They are going to make Seymour make quick decisions. 

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Rails has always been my go-to in Seymour. Never been to Brooklyn Pizza. Is it legitimate Brooklyn-style pizza or is it just the name of the place? As a huge pizza lover and someone that has tried many different styles of pizza, I don’t want to get my hopes up if it’s not true Brooklyn-style. I need to know where to set my expectations before going in 😂

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Rails has always been my go-to in Seymour. Never been to Brooklyn Pizza. Is it legitimate Brooklyn-style pizza or is it just the name of the place? As a huge pizza lover and someone that has tried many different styles of pizza, I don’t want to get my hopes up if it’s not true Brooklyn-style. I need to know where to set my expectations before going in 😂

It is NY style. You won’t be disappointed. Leftovers are a great breakfast pizza as well. The Reno Gold is my go to for thirst quenching. They often times have special short runs of interesting beers. Shawn and crew do an awesome job and are constantly trying new things. Usually has live music on the weekends. It’s a unique place. 

8 hours ago, Panther25 said:

Jennings County Head Coaching position has been posted on the Coaching Openings topic.

They will be on their 3rd coach in 4 seasons.  Man it’s hard for any team to develop even a .500 program with that much turn around.  Hopefully JC is able to find someone able to stay in the position for more than two seasons to see what could develop.  From what I hear their MS team wasn’t too bad this past season, so that maybe a group to start some decent growth from.   

32 minutes ago, TheMadness1 said:

I am getting word the sectional final game will be in New Albany now, per some IHSAA decision.  Not sure why it’s so hard to figure out.  Is anyone able to verify?

From watching the New Albany vs Floyd game last week, they said it would be in New Albany at the end of that game. I thought it was in New Albany to begin with .

Edited by Olympian06

1 hour ago, Olympian06 said:

From watching the New Albany vs Floyd game last week, they said it would be in New Albany at the end of that game. I thought it was in New Albany to begin with .

Both teams got byes into the semifinals and both teams were on the road for their semifinal games. Based on the rules the IHSAA uses to determine the home teams in the postseason, Seymour should be hosting the sectional championship because they are in the bottom half of the bracket. The only way they wouldn’t be the host is if they agreed to let New Albany be the host.

Week 12 Prediction

Seymour (4-5) at New Albany (7-3): The Bulldogs beat the Owls by 21 in week 8. They’ve beaten every team in this conference by double-digits except for Columbus East (including Floyd Central twice). Hard to think this week will be any different. New Albany owns the HHC this year and deservedly so. New Albany gets the W.

In regards to the Jennings County opening, what do they need to do to turn things around? Do they need to take the Madison approach and leave the HHC? Without seeing them, just how far off are they from actually competing within the conference? Is the interim keeping the job and getting them on the right track?

1 hour ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

In regards to the Jennings County opening, what do they need to do to turn things around? Do they need to take the Madison approach and leave the HHC? Without seeing them, just how far off are they from actually competing within the conference? Is the interim keeping the job and getting them on the right track?

As someone who has a lot of visibility to the program and the school as a whole, there’s just not the level of commitment there to make them competitive. I’m a firm believer that you need to start kids at the youth levels and build them up so that they have the skills and the knowledge necessary to succeed by the time they get in high school. Jennings County should have an advantage in this area considering it’s the only high school in the entire county. There’s also only one middle school in the county.

The unfortunate thing is, Justun Sharp was fully committed to the program and wanted to build them up from the ground level. He was a young guy who played at Jennings County himself so the passion and energy were there to make them successful. However, being a dad came first and he had to take care of his daughter. Sadly, I’m not sure they’ll find someone with the ability or the motivation to stay at Jennings County and build them up into a contender. You don’t get many Howard Joneses at Jennings County. What he did with wrestling (and Jim Harr before him) has yet to be duplicated in other sports.

Jennings County has had a long history of politics in the past and that has stunted the growth of the athletic program as a whole. It’s why so many kids have transferred to other area schools, especially South Decatur (which has been given the nickname Jennings County North High School). Columbus East, Columbus North, Greensburg, Seymour, and Brownstown Central are the most common schools kids transfer to. I’ve even heard of one kid transferring as far away as New Castle.

Nevertheless, the culture overall is changing a little bit. The athletic director that was hired within the last few years is an outsider and he’s been bringing outsiders in as head coaches. When you’re known for losing, it’s best not to higher from within because things won’t change. The AD also doesn’t kowtow or play politics. He’s a good guy and a breath of fresh air. Hopefully he doesn’t get chased off.

Jennings County has the potential to be good at sports but it’s going to take a lot of time to reverse the skeletons of the past and the reputation of being a losing program. The pieces are in place. There just needs to be some buy-in from the student-athletes and their families and full commitment by the coaches.

2 hours ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

First thing you need to do is talk to Howard Jones. Find out what he did. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

As someone who has a lot of visibility to the program and the school as a whole, there’s just not the level of commitment there to make them competitive. I’m a firm believer that you need to start kids at the youth levels and build them up so that they have the skills and the knowledge necessary to succeed by the time they get in high school. Jennings County should have an advantage in this area considering it’s the only high school in the entire county. There’s also only one middle school in the county.

The unfortunate thing is, Justun Sharp was fully committed to the program and wanted to build them up from the ground level. He was a young guy who played at Jennings County himself so the passion and energy were there to make them successful. However, being a dad came first and he had to take care of his daughter. Sadly, I’m not sure they’ll find someone with the ability or the motivation to stay at Jennings County and build them up into a contender. You don’t get many Howard Joneses at Jennings County. What he did with wrestling (and Jim Harr before him) has yet to be duplicated in other sports.

Jennings County has had a long history of politics in the past and that has stunted the growth of the athletic program as a whole. It’s why so many kids have transferred to other area schools, especially South Decatur (which has been given the nickname Jennings County North High School). Columbus East, Columbus North, Greensburg, Seymour, and Brownstown Central are the most common schools kids transfer to. I’ve even heard of one kid transferring as far away as New Castle.

Nevertheless, the culture overall is changing a little bit. The athletic director that was hired within the last few years is an outsider and he’s been bringing outsiders in as head coaches. When you’re known for losing, it’s best not to higher from within because things won’t change. The AD also doesn’t kowtow or play politics. He’s a good guy and a breath of fresh air. Hopefully he doesn’t get chased off.

Jennings County has the potential to be good at sports but it’s going to take a lot of time to reverse the skeletons of the past and the reputation of being a losing program. The pieces are in place. There just needs to be some buy-in from the student-athletes and their families and full commitment by the coaches.

Sounds like some great insight into the situation. Glad you were able to share that knowledge. Unfortunate for Coach Sharp but I think we can all understand the situation. Hopefully Jennings County will be able to find a high character coach that wants to committ to the lengthy rebuilding task that will be needed! Maybe they will get some good applicants looking for an opportunity to be a HC or move up as a HC to a larger school. Good luck to the Jennings County area.

• Like 1