Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Duneland athletic conference week 1

44 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I think my point is those resources and schedules are exactly what's allowing the Indy coaching staffs to get further ahead. I've seen a few Indy teams play teams from outside that bubble these past couple years and I think it's pretty clear where the better coaching is. Maybe I'm wrong. 

I’ve seen a number of Indy area teams in the past few seasons, as well as those from other areas of the state. I’m not ready to say the coaching is “better,” because there are so many things that go into that. I don’t see how the players develop. I’m not in their weight rooms or at their summer programs. In-game situations are hard to evaluate because they are so random. What I do see, however, is that teams from Indy and the collar counties have a different “look” about them. Their pregame warmup is crisp and organized. Their sidelines are managed very efficiently during games. They don’t commit stupid or careless penalties. They don’t line up in the wrong place. They play great situational football. They just seem better organized and disciplined. Their play reflects that. Whether that falls under the heading of “better coaching,” than so be it.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

I think my point is those resources and schedules are exactly what's allowing the Indy coaching staffs to get further ahead. I've seen a few Indy teams play teams from outside that bubble these past couple years and I think it's pretty clear where the better coaching is. Maybe I'm wrong. 

But does that make them “superior” coaches?  Are they better in game coaches also or do their teams just show up on Friday night better prepared than their opponents, due in part to the resources at their disposal?

You will have a hard time convincing me that for 2 1/2 hours on Friday nights you can decipher that every Indy area coach is better than their counterpart on the opposite sideline if that’s part of your argument.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I’ve seen a number of Indy area teams in the past few seasons, as well as those from other areas of the state. I’m not ready to say the coaching is “better,” because there are so many things that go into that. I don’t see how the players develop. I’m not in their weight rooms or at their summer programs. In-game situations are hard to evaluate because they are so random. What I do see, however, is that teams from Indy and the collar counties have a different “look” about them. Their pregame warmup is crisp and organized. Their sidelines are managed very efficiently during games. They don’t commit stupid or careless penalties. They don’t line up in the wrong place. They play great situational football. They just seem better organized and disciplined. Their play reflects that. Whether that falls under the heading of “better coaching,” than so be it.

This also seems like a blanket statement.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, temptation said:

Sure, but NINE...and not even a semi-state title to show for it?  Come on.

Let's all remember, it was SEVENTEEN one year...

When lower classes have D1 guys they tend to dominate..kiser..smith..supposedly Snider had 11 when they won..maybe he means some are underclassmen..I wonder what the average is for the mega schools.

How many D1 players are on a typical  6a title roster?

Edited by Justasportsfan

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

This also seems like a blanket statement.

As I said, my observation was strictly limited to the teams I have personally seen, which probably number a dozen or so, not counting at the state finals. It wasn’t intended to be universal. More anecdotal. For what it’s worth.

54 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

When lower classes have D1 guys they tend to dominate..kiser..smith..supposedly Snider had 11 when they won..maybe he means some are underclassmen..I wonder what the average is for the mega schools.

How many D1 players are on a typical  6a title roster?

As I stated, CG I believe had seven last year and was a top ten team nationally by most outlets…betting a handful/half dozen of Indiana teams have matched that particular accomplishment.

90 BD?

06 Warren?

17 BD?

18 Warren?

For a 5A program to have 9, it’d be nearly unheard of.  But that never stops Cody and his hyperbole.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, temptation said:

But does that make them “superior” coaches?  Are they better in game coaches also or do their teams just show up on Friday night better prepared than their opponents, due in part to the resources at their disposal?

You will have a hard time convincing me that for 2 1/2 hours on Friday nights you can decipher that every Indy area coach is better than their counterpart on the opposite sideline if that’s part of your argument.

If one teams shows up more prepared, that means they've been getting better coaching, no? I am not sure the disparity in resources is even that large tbh. Coaches in the DAC teach gym and are compensated nicely. I have a hard time believing that the coaches down south really have that much more time and resources. I've seen the 3 of the best coaches in the DAC and Northern Indiana play 5 games against Indy schools the past 2 years and only once (MC vs Zionsville) did I think that the talent/resource disparity was so large that who was coaching didn't really matter. As for your second point, I don't think it takes Sherlock Holmes to see when one team is better prepared to start and making better adjustments during the game. And you know I was not saying every Indy coach is better than their non-Indy counterpart. Let me ask you, do you think it is an unfair to say that the MIC and HCC have the best coaches top to bottom of any conference? Not trying to start an argument I'm just surprised you don't agree with this. 

26 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

If one teams shows up more prepared, that means they've been getting better coaching, no? I am not sure the disparity in resources is even that large tbh. Coaches in the DAC teach gym and are compensated nicely. I have a hard time believing that the coaches down south really have that much more time and resources. I've seen the 3 of the best coaches in the DAC and Northern Indiana play 5 games against Indy schools the past 2 years and only once (MC vs Zionsville) did I think that the talent/resource disparity was so large that who was coaching didn't really matter. As for your second point, I don't think it takes Sherlock Holmes to see when one team is better prepared to start and making better adjustments during the game. And you know I was not saying every Indy coach is better than their non-Indy counterpart. Let me ask you, do you think it is an unfair to say that the MIC and HCC have the best coaches top to bottom of any conference? Not trying to start an argument I'm just surprised you don't agree with this. 

You could have a good argument there, but it's really hard to say since those conferences, from top to bottom, have the largest enrollment schools. 

• Like 1

We have gone down this road before, I can't imagine and know that coaches at Crown Point, Merrillville, Michigan City, Chesterton, have plenty of time to work as coaches during the day and have just as much or maybe more contact time with their players during the day than any coach, regardless of conference. They are compensated at a salary considered high for their teacher association, have just as many assistants as well, stadiums that are second to none or better than HHC or MIC teams and community/admin support equal to or better.

In the next two years Crown Point will be ready to compete with HCC and MIC teams in a way a 2100 enrollment school like Valpo or Merrillville could not. Valpo battled Zionsville, battled Carmel, give them 1000 more students like Lake Central and Crown Point and they are a push to win those games. 

Edited by DACNUT

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Not necessarily.  So much more goes into preparation for a Friday night contest that is less than 2% of a student athletes’ week. 

Coaches/teachers can only do so much.  I know that sounds cryptic and does not align with the much publicized growth mindset that you hear about in education these days but facts are facts.

Taking those aforementioned “resources” out of the equation, based on the factors that I have spoken about ad nauseam on this forum some kids are starting on home plate while others are already on second base.

And yes, the disparity is large in terms of 7am-3pm responsibilities…I can tell based on the fact that you used the word “teach” when describing what those coaches do all day.

The best compensated coaches reside in those two conferences you mentioned but that doesn’t necessarily make them the best…by any stretch.

5 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

We have gone down this road before, I can't imagine and know that coaches at Crown Point, Merrillville, Michigan City, Chesterton, have plenty of time to work as coaches during the day and have just as much or maybe more contact time with their players during the day than any coach, regardless of conference. They are compensated at a salary considered high for their teacher association, have just as many assistants as well, stadiums that are second to none or better than HHC or MIC teams and community/admin support equal to or better.

In the next two years Crown Point will be ready to compete with HCC and MIC teams in a way a 2100 enrollment school like Valpo or Merrillville could not. Valpo battled Zionsville, battled Carmel, give them 1000 more students like Lake Central and Crown Point and they are a push to win those games. 

Next two years on Crown Point huh?  I’ll take the over.  Gotta prove they can compete with their own backyard before calling out the central Indy bullies.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

Not necessarily.  So much more goes into preparation for a Friday night contest that is less than 2% of a student athletes’ week. 

Coaches/teachers can only do so much.  I know that sounds cryptic and does not align with the much publicized growth mindset that you hear about in education these days but facts are facts.

Taking those aforementioned “resources” out of the equation, based on the factors that I have spoken about ad nauseam on this forum some kids are starting on home plate while others are already on second base.

And yes, the disparity is large in terms of 7am-3pm responsibilities…I can tell based on the fact that you used the word “teach” when describing what those coaches do all day.

The best compensated coaches reside in those two conferences you mentioned but that doesn’t necessarily make them the best…by any stretch.

I don't know man, when Mason used to 'teach' us PE it consisted of him rolling the ball out for the game that day and going back to his office to watch film...

• Haha 1

I completely muffed my pick of Andrean over Merrillville. I was not expecting that level of dominance. I get that Andrean and Hobart are long standing historical rivals for The Ville, but it's time for them to get some Indy area teams on the schedule. Waxing Andrean and Hobart isn't helping the Pirates come Tourney time.

The big surprises to me where Crown Point, Chesterton, and Michigan City. I was expecting Penn to win and Valpo to take a big step back based on the reported losses they had. Still, a much needed dominating W for Penn. I also expected Warsaw to win, but the MOV was alarming. I tried watching the CP and Chesterton games, but the feed was horrendous and I gave up. I'm assuming both looked really good based on the scores. A dominating win over Andrean would be a promising sign that CP is taking steps in 6A. Chesterton vs. Warsaw is a nice gauge of where the Tigers and Trojans are after they each rolled to easy Week 1 wins.

Lake Central's 47-0 win over Munster marks the 3rd straight year that Munster has failed to score against Lake Central. Hard to get excited about that score. Providence Catholic is a good measuring stick to see if Coach Good is making progress in St. John. 

Not much to say about Portage and LaPorte. Games went about as expected.  

39 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Chesterton vs. Warsaw is a nice gauge of where the Tigers and Trojans are after they each rolled to easy Week 1 wins

I’ll be at this game. I understand Warsaw’s starting QB sustained a significant injury and is out for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I completely muffed my pick of Andrean over Merrillville. I was not expecting that level of dominance. I get that Andrean and Hobart are long standing historical rivals for The Ville, but it's time for them to get some Indy area teams on the schedule. Waxing Andrean and Hobart isn't helping the Pirates come Tourney time.

The big surprises to me where Crown Point, Chesterton, and Michigan City. I was expecting Penn to win and Valpo to take a big step back based on the reported losses they had. Still, a much needed dominating W for Penn. I also expected Warsaw to win, but the MOV was alarming. I tried watching the CP and Chesterton games, but the feed was horrendous and I gave up. I'm assuming both looked really good based on the scores. A dominating win over Andrean would be a promising sign that CP is taking steps in 6A. Chesterton vs. Warsaw is a nice gauge of where the Tigers and Trojans are after they each rolled to easy Week 1 wins.

Judging from Seiss’s comments the last few years the only reason Merrillville plays Andrean and Hobart is due to money, they always get the games at home, no travel and the gate. Seems like he would rather play schools of a similar size but doesn’t really have a say in the matter. 

CP should beat Andrean next week by two scores or more. They’ll be a legit threat to Merrillville this year in the DAC.

Chesterton had to be the most-surprising team last week. They could be emerging as an early favorite in that sectional with Valpo and MC. If they beat Warsaw, even sans the Tiger’s starting QB, I’ll buy in. 

35 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Judging from Seiss’s comments the last few years the only reason Merrillville plays Andrean and Hobart is due to money, they always get the games at home, no travel and the gate. Seems like he would rather play schools of a similar size but doesn’t really have a say in the matter. 

CP should beat Andrean next week by two scores or more. They’ll be a legit threat to Merrillville this year in the DAC.

Chesterton had to be the most-surprising team last week. They could be emerging as an early favorite in that sectional with Valpo and MC. If they beat Warsaw, even sans the Tiger’s starting QB, I’ll buy in. 

Does Merrillville still draw a good home crowd? 

What stood out about Chesterton and Crown Point? Good Size? Skill talent? 

12 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Does Merrillville still draw a good home crowd? 

What stood out about Chesterton and Crown Point? Good Size? Skill talent? 

Battle of Broadway is always packed. I've only seen a few of their games at home the past couple years and they still fill Demaree. 

I would say CP and Chesterton impressed me in similar ways. CP just bludgeoned Lowell with sheer force and Chesterton completely controlled Hobart with a very physical defense and an actual running game (something they've been missing the past couple years). I'll also mention that CP's QB/RB combo is very good. CP almost reminded me of Valpo in terms of front 7, but with better QB and WR play, which is a scary prospect for the rest of the DAC.  

16 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Battle of Broadway is always packed. I've only seen a few of their games at home the past couple years and they still fill Demaree. 

I would say CP and Chesterton impressed me in similar ways. CP just bludgeoned Lowell with sheer force and Chesterton completely controlled Hobart with a very physical defense and an actual running game (something they've been missing the past couple years). I'll also mention that CP's QB/RB combo is very good. CP almost reminded me of Valpo in terms of front 7, but with better QB and WR play, which is a scary prospect for the rest of the DAC.  

Got ya. I watched CP's first drive and they did look big with some speed at RB. Is Andrean's QB ok? I saw on FB that he left the game in the 2nd quarter with potentially a season ending injury.

28 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Is Andrean's QB ok? I saw on FB that he left the game in the 2nd quarter with potentially a season ending injury

Broken collarbone. I haven’t heard whether he needed surgery or not. If he did, he’s done. If not, there’s a chance he’d be back for the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Wow. That's huge news for 2A. 

From what I gathered out for season. Crown point does have a RB that’s quick. But they played a Lowell defense that’s not very good if you want honesty. Crown point has improved but if merrillville gets the pass game crown point doesn’t have the defense to stop them. Merrillville has the speed to shut down the run game of CP

On 8/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, temptation said:

I’d be surprised if you have Andrean scoring…or Merrillville punting for that matter.

Trying to figure out how that’d be possible in a 14 point game but I’m sure you’d find a mathematical way for it to happen.

Defense pitched a shut out and held them to 67yards total. Offense gave us the score pick 6

36 minutes ago, Piratefan101 said:

From what I gathered out for season. Crown point does have a RB that’s quick. But they played a Lowell defense that’s not very good if you want honesty. Crown point has improved but if merrillville gets the pass game crown point doesn’t have the defense to stop them. Merrillville has the speed to shut down the run game of CP

Defense pitched a shut out and held them to 67yards total. Offense gave us the score pick 6

Sorry 87 yards

Week 2 is your if anyone cares 

2 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

Cool.  Now compete with a team from Indy for a change and I’ll start paying attention.

31 minutes ago, temptation said:

Cool.  Now compete with a team from Indy for a change and I’ll start paying attention.

If you wanna look up the history of merrillville we are over .500 against Indy as a program since 2000. So start paying attention 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Was Merrillville stacking the box to stop Bowen once the QB went out? 

Nope. Bowen wasn’t moving the ball when the QB was in. I believe the post tribune out here said Andrean before QB went out had -9 yards of offense total for the game 

23 minutes ago, Piratefan101 said:

If you wanna look up the history of merrillville we are over .500 against Indy as a program since 2000. So start paying attention 

Nope. Bowen wasn’t moving the ball when the QB was in. I believe the post tribune out here said Andrean before QB went out had -9 yards of offense total for the game 

False.  I count 1-12.  How can you be so bad at this?