Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Schools/Programs

16 hours ago, foxbat said:

They were mentioned in response to another person as to "what was wrong with LCC?"  I merely expanded that idea that there are new private schools or other private schools in the area are not necessarily tied to there being something wrong with LCC. 

I don't necessarily think that Faith will never have football; especially if their school continues to grow.  For a long time, they had sports, but weren't an IHSAA member ... although they played many of the IHSAA schools from the area.  They eventually joined the IHSAA and are now part of the post-season "festivities."  Incidentally, Faith has had folks who have played football in youth programs of other local schools that left Faith to continue playing football when they hit high school ... the vast majority with local public schools.

Edit: Faith might decide, if they get larger, that football helps preserve some of their enrollment without a negative impact.  When they first started out, they were small where fielding football would have been a huge undertaking.  As they get closer to 300, the cost of football, as well as potnetial risk against resources, goes down; especially if it helps retain some students.

Good point.

Another possibility could just be a lack of interest in football, until the right group of admin/parents/students shows up.  Look at Fort Wayne Blackhawk Christian.  Been around since 1973 and just now, almost 50 years later, entering the football ranks.  I personally know several people who graduated from there.  Can't say for sure, but I don't believe money has been an issue, at least for a while.  They were reasonably competitive in the sports they had and maybe were content with that, until something or someone changed their mind.

17 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

We're probably more likely to see a new program from an existing school - like a Faith Christian or Covenant Christian-Demotte - than we are to see a new school created out of nowhere (or an 8-man program like Waldron bumping up to 11-man). It seems the wave of new charter schools has slowed, schools seem to be slow to split (if they split) because the cost of building a new high school and all of the attendant facilities (new stadium, gym, baseball field, softball field, soccer field, auditorium, natatorium) is *substantial.*

I believe Faith Christian and Covenant Christian-Demotte have both joined the Midwest Conference.  The schools in the Midwest don't have very large rosters, so that would be a chance to start football and play mostly schools with 20-35 players on the roster.

On another point, I see Whitestown brought into the discussion.  Someone pointed out that Whitestown is thought to be part of Zionsville, but it is not.  The large subdivisions go to Lebanon Schools.  

I also don't foresee new buildings being constructed as you're looking at a $40 million investment.  You could see charters try to take advantage of the law in Indiana that allows an entity to purchase an unused school for $1 to start a new school.  That would certainly be a much more affordable way to open a new school.

Edited by Ballhawk
Add on

51 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

I believe Faith Christian and Covenant Christian-Demotte have both joined the Midwest Conference.  The schools in the Midwest don't have very large rosters, so that would be a chance to start football and play mostly schools with 20-35 players on the roster.

On another point, I see Whitestown brought into the discussion.  Someone pointed out that Whitestown is thought to be part of Zionsville, but it is not.  The large subdivisions go to Lebanon Schools.  

I also don't foresee new buildings being constructed as you're looking at a $40 million investment.  You could see charters try to take advantage of the law in Indiana that allows an entity to purchase an unused school for $1 to start a new school.  That would certainly be a much more affordable way to open a new school.

Correct - Whitestown is in Lebanon's school district. Most people *think* it's in Zionsville because of its proximity, but Lebanon's district lies west of Zionsville's (basically, the middle third of Boone County) and stretches all the way south to Fayette and the Hendricks County line. 

Because of where Lebanon HS is located - basically in the middle of a neighborhood north of town that's a good distance off I-65 - Whitestown's growth is going to be a bit of a traffic nightmare for students getting to/from the school. 

1 hour ago, Ballhawk said:

Correct, Faith has been playing in the Midwest Conference.  I suspect that, as you alluded to, they may have picked that conference for the size of the schools.  North Newton used to be 2A, but is now 1A which I think is the size of the rest of the teams there.  At least one other team in that conference, DeMotte Christian, doesn't currently field an 11-man team.

The new charter in Lafayette is going to be using the building that was the old charter school that closed, New Community.  That building was, at one time, a Payless grocery store before Payless opened a new store about 2 minutes away in an old Menard's.

45 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Correct - Whitestown is in Lebanon's school district. Most people *think* it's in Zionsville because of its proximity, but Lebanon's district lies west of Zionsville's (basically, the middle third of Boone County) and stretches all the way south to Fayette and the Hendricks County line. 

Because of where Lebanon HS is located - basically in the middle of a neighborhood north of town that's a good distance off I-65 - Whitestown's growth is going to be a bit of a traffic nightmare for students getting to/from the school. 

Is Boone Co open enrollment? What % of the affluent communities in Whitestown send their kids to Zionsville over Lebanon would you say?

Edited by Footballking16

22 hours ago, foxbat said:

Just like there are Baptists that want a private education, but don't want a Catholic flavor ... and Catholics that want a private education, but may not want a Baptist flavor ... I could imagine that there could be some Lutherans that don't want that Baptist or Catholic flavor to their education. 

Spot on with your assessment.  But man, you would have had a blast at my sister's wedding talking like that. 🙂 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Spot on with your assessment.  But man, you would have had a blast at my sister's wedding talking like that. 🙂 

Typically, I'm looking for that open bar at a wedding ... except for my daughter's upcoming one since I know how her friends drink and I'm on the hook.  My wife's family is Southern Baptist which means the strongest thing to drink at our wedding was sweet tea with a lemon in it.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Is Boone Co open enrollment? What % of the affluent communities in Whitestown send their kids to Zionsville over Lebanon would you say?

I do not know this answer, but I do know most larger school districts in Hamilton County will not take out of district transfers.  The only exceptions are for children of school employees.  Not sure if this is the case in Zionsville.  I know there was a time when a lot of Zionsville families sent their kids to private schools in Indy, Brebeuf being a primary beneficiary.