Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Portage Job

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Who hires 1st, Michigan City or Portage 

Michigan City is an infinitely better job than Portage. I'm sure they'll be a lot of interest in that job. Mason resigning at MC hurts Portage's search even more than it has already been blundered. 

45 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Michigan City is an infinitely better job than Portage. I'm sure they'll be a lot of interest in that job. Mason resigning at MC hurts Portage's search even more than it has already been blundered. 

I'm completely out of the loop. How was the Portage search blundered?

14 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Not that it matters but remind me or tell me why did Buzz leave Portage? His decision or mutual? Program not even a shell of itself since he left. 

I believe he was AD at the time and it leaked that he told a HC Candidate for basketball that the candidate didn't want the job because the Portage Admin is horrible. They basically forced him out after that and he ended up at Michigan City. I think it was a mutual parting of ways and he wasn't fired.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I believe he was AD at the time and it leaked that he told a HC Candidate for basketball that the candidate didn't want the job because the Portage Admin is horrible. They basically forced him out after that and he ended up at Michigan City. I think it was a mutual parting of ways and he wasn't fired.

Funny thing is, 15 years later the admin there is still horrible 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:54 AM, scarab527 said:

When Mason was hired in 2015 AD Craig Shaman told the Jim Peters at the La Porte county herald dispatch that there were 40 applicants for the position.  Every time MC is searching for a new coach they have been very transparent through the entire process.

Edited by Tommy

12 hours ago, Tommy said:

When Mason was hired in 2015 AD Craig Shaman told the Jim Peters at the La Porte county herald dispatch that there were 40 applicants for the position.  Every time MC is searching for a new coach they have been very transparent through the entire process.

I'd assume there's quite a few people who've thrown their names in the hat already

This will be head coach number 8 for Portage since 2006 and had to cycle though a new regime every 2 years.

1. Craig Buzea 

2. Mark Peterson 

3.  Jeromey Flowers 

4.  Wally McCormack 

5.   Darren Rodriguez

6.  Russ Radtke 

7.  Terry Chestovich 

8.  ????? 

New staff every classification.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Russ Radtke actually coached a game at Portage. To my recollection, he accepted the job, but then it fell apart and he went to Knox.

He was hired, stated to the region sports network "We are in it for the long haul." and left days later.  What a bunch of BS that was.

Edited by Tommy
  • Thanks 1

Just talked to MC AD Craig Shaman and athletic secretary Deanna Strlinski at the La Porte Michigan City girls - boys double header heritage night game.  They have confirmed to me that Roy Richards will become the new Portage Indiana head coach.

Just congratulated Roy.  He said Portage will be his last stop then him and Vera will retire in 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Portage suffered through an 0-10 football season and were out scored a combined 301-108.

IMG_1169.png

Not being a smart guy here but what were the realistic expectations year one? Did they have much to build around from the previous season? With how poor Portage has been the past few years I guess those numbers aren’t that surprising to me although 200 point differential in a mediocre conference only way to go is up

9 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

Anybody know how successful their lower levels are? Youth program development is usually the best indicator of how a team's future looks. If lower levels of Portage football stink, it's going to be a long few years for them.

Good question. As a mid '90's Portage grad I remember Portage Pop Warner being fairly solid. Coaching at the Middle School levels was solid as well. Most of Portage's MS and HS coaches back then played for the legendary Don Howell at Hobart. I have no idea what's going on now in Portage other than demographics have drastically changed since the early 2000's and the HS is now over 50% free/reduced lunch. 

I have faith in the coaching and leadership abilities of Roydon Richards. Not sure if he has the tools needed though to build a winner.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Good question. As a mid '90's Portage grad I remember Portage Pop Warner being fairly solid. Coaching at the Middle School levels was solid as well. Most of Portage's MS and HS coaches back then played for the legendary Don Howell at Hobart. I have no idea what's going on now in Portage other than demographics have drastically changed since the early 2000's and the HS is now over 50% free/reduced lunch. 

I have faith in the coaching and leadership abilities of Roydon Richards. Not sure if he has the tools needed though to build a winner.

I know that they had around 10 sophomores contributing to varsity this year and their freshman team was solid. Also heard that one of their 8th grade teams finished undefeated. So I guess that they have talent coming up.

• Thanks 1