Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IMG-Ben Davis: Why is this game being played?

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Was referring to Brownsburg/Cathedral.

Lol, I know. From an outside perspective, it's looking like that game could go either way. Both teams are clearly good after their Week 1 performances.

Wondering how WC will respond next week up at Carroll. The Chargers appear to, once again, have a tough defense. I think they only let HSE in the endzone twice last night. Could be another brutal test for Warren's new guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 4:18 PM, AllGutsNoGlory said:

Because the game was scheduled and BD accepted. Why is this such a big deal they are kids at the end of the day you act like they are playing kids much older than them at the end of the day it's a game. Mark would be more than just a special teams player 🤣

This matchup has probably gotten a little more interesting.  BD rolled Pike like they were a freshman team last night.  Props for BD scheduling this game, it is early enough in the season where if they do get routed (it may be closer than you think) they will be over it come playoff time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Pretty admirable effort by BD tonight, especially falling down 21-0 in a hurry, got this one completely wrong. Game was a lot closer than the final score indicated.

Agree. BD was inside the 10 yard line twice and came away empty handed. Also, those two interceptions returned for touchdowns were heartbreakers. You take away 5 plays in this game, and maybe BD pulls it off. You almost have to play a perfect game to have a chance against a team with as much talent as IMG.

With that said, very proud of the effort put forth by the Giants. I feel very good about their chances against anyone else they may face this year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BDAlum04 said:

Agree. BD was inside the 10 yard line twice and came away empty handed. Also, those two interceptions returned for touchdowns were heartbreakers. You take away 5 plays in this game, and maybe BD pulls it off. You almost have to play a perfect game to have a chance against a team with as much talent as IMG.

With that said, very proud of the effort put forth by the Giants. I feel very good about their chances against anyone else they may face this year.

Yes.  I feel much better about having the Giants #1 after this performance and the transitive property of how both teams played Moeller.  Far from a done deal obviously though.

Now, are we ready to have that difficult discussion about EAST CENTRAL?

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Yes.  I feel much better about having the Giants #1 after this performance and the transitive property of how both teams played Moeller.  Far from a done deal obviously though.

BD may absolutely be the best team in the state. They look good. Basing it on “transitive property”….😆

Thank goodness we don’t decide champs on margins of victory against a common opponent at different times during a season….

• Like 1

Well, I'm very proud of the Giants, first of all. It's weird to say that in a game lost by 20, but I think you saw why the Giants are tough to deal with considering who was on the field for IMG. There are some REALLY special players on that Ascender squad. A minor mistake can become a huge error quickly when you play against that kind of athletic talent.

Leaving the Westside, I think that IMG probably felt it a bit. Nylan Brown and the defense really stepped up after a poor start for BD. I thought Thomas Gotkowski played a strong game despite the two pick sixes (one was just a phenomenal player who's committed to Oklahoma). The mentality all week was that the Giants belonged on the field with IMG, and I think they did. Mark Zackery's going to be making some college fanbase extremely happy in a couple of years. His catch in the back of the end zone on the first TD for BD was as good as you'll see.

Back to the MIC and Warren this week. Giants can't let down. 

6 hours ago, temptation said:

you talking about the difficult discussion that ends in a free beer for me in Indianapolis this November

34 minutes ago, Rodney said:

u got north and 27.5

I'll take the North in this one. Tre Bates and company looked pretty impressive as New Haven dodged a bullet at Leo. Whoever comes out the North will be battle tested. 

7 hours ago, Rodney said:

what a surprise you took the north last year as well

speaking of dodged a bullet you also dodged the meetup

I'm optimistic, I always take the North. 

Only made it to one game last year.

7 hours ago, temptation said:

42-17 still gets me paid….

Indeed. East Central looking good. 

Mr. Neddenriep's take on the question posed by this forum thread:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/09/11/indiana-high-school-football-out-of-state-games-khobie-martin-tough-fishers-ihsaa-img-academy/70817939007/

Let me preface this by saying: I think it’s cool Ben Davis hosted IMG Academy Friday night. It is a unique game, against one of the top teams in the country (IMG Academy is ranked No. 4 in the High School Football America 100) and the Class 6A top-ranked Giants held their own in a 34-14 loss that could have been closer.

I have no problem with playing that game specifically. I’m sure it will probably help Ben Davis down the road to see a team with that talent.

But is it any more interesting than Center Grove vs. Ben Davis would have been? That was the original Week 4 matchup and is expected to back on the schedule next year. When I look around Friday night and see matchups like Center Grove-Cincinnati Moeller (again, great game, Center Grove won 35-34 in overtime) or Carmel-Louisville Trinity or other games on the schedule against out-of-state opponents, I wonder: Who are these games for?

I know I’ve probably expressed this feeling before, but the rivalries are what make high school football so fun. You only get nine of these games on the regular-season schedule. It’s the neighbor vs. neighbor bragging rights or games rooted in years of history that makes this sport so fun. Look no further than Bishop Chatard’s celebration following its 24-21 win over Cathedral on Saturday morning or the elation of Hamilton Southeastern and dejection of Fishers after Friday’s 35-34 overtime Mudsock game.

Those are unforgettable experiences because of the team lining up on the other side.

And part of the reason we’re seeing these out-of-state games is because of the emotion. Games crossed off the schedule against rivals because of emotion. I’ve heard from former players who wonder why. They don’t get it. I can’t say I really do, either.

I think we’ll back to some more sensible schedules as time passes. Center Grove, instead of playing five out-of-state programs to start the season like it did this year, will host Carroll (Fort Wayne) in Week 2 and play at Ben Davis in Week 4 next season with a game at Louisville Trinity sandwiched in between. The Cathedral game will move from Week 9 to Week 7 and there are games scheduled against Lawrence Central and Lawrence North, though there are still three dates to be filled.

After watching HSE-Fishers and Bishop Chatard-Cathedral (half of it, anyway), it hit me (again) these are the games that matter. The adults need to figure out how to make it happen.