Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IFCA Week 4 Poll

Leo doesn't even garner one vote in 4A? Columbia City over New Haven and East Noble?

Should we even trust a coaches poll? How is a coach even qualified to come up with a Top 10? Aren't they too ultra focused on their own teams to worry about who's Top 10 and who isn't?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Leo doesn't even garner one vote in 4A? Columbia City over New Haven and East Noble?

Should we even trust a coaches poll? How is a coach even qualified to come up with a Top 10? Aren't they too ultra focused on their own teams to worry about who's Top 10 and who isn't?

But, you would think they should know some things??????

8 hours ago, psaboy said:

But, you would think they should know some things??????

I could be off base here. Maybe they do keep tabs on their respective class on a weekly basis. They have a lot of responsibility in knowing the team on their schedule for that week. Regardless..................

Class 4A must be stocked. East Noble, Leo, and New Haven are all dangerous football teams.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I could be off base here. Maybe they do keep tabs on their respective class on a weekly basis. They have a lot of responsibility in knowing the team on their schedule for that week. Regardless..................

Class 4A must be stocked. East Noble, Leo, and New Haven are all dangerous football teams.

I sometimes think (and I am guilty of this in my rankings too) many coaches fall into the "name recognition" trap.  Teams get the benefit of the doubt often times based on history which is sort of unfair.  I also think that can occur in the other direction in terms of biases.

After all though, it is just fun discussion.  Not life or death.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

I sometimes think (and I am guilty of this in my rankings too) many coaches fall into the "name recognition" trap.  Teams get the benefit of the doubt often times based on history which is sort of unfair.  I also think that can occur in the other direction in terms of biases.

After all though, it is just fun discussion.  Not life or death.

Yep, the only poll that matters is at the end of the last game of the year 😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, temptation said:

Roncalli’s demise (especially after what Chatard did this weekend) has been greatly exaggerated in my opinion.

17 hours ago, Lysander said:

Yes….it has.  

Anyone overlooking Roncalli does so very much at their peril. 

I wouldn't over look them, but East Central is a large mountain to climb (so long as they stay healthy). Aside from East Central I think Roncalli is on par with the rest of 4A. The most difficult games to gauge are Roncalli vs Chatard, Chatard vs Cathedral, and Cathedral vs Roncalli. You just never know what you are going to get in these games with the rivalries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I wouldn't over look them, but East Central is a large mountain to climb (so long as they stay healthy). Aside from East Central I think Roncalli is on par with the rest of 4A. The most difficult games to gauge are Roncalli vs Chatard, Chatard vs Cathedral, and Cathedral vs Roncalli. You just never know what you are going to get in these games with the rivalries.

I agree that I think it’s hard to get a pinpoint measure on any of those teams individually from those rivalry games and I also agree that East Central, by all appearances appears better than last year (and they were simply a “machine” in the post-season last year).  But Roncalli also appeared to be absolutely dominant the last couple of years and failed in both years to make it to Lucas.  

As regards 4A South, no one here ever really knows anymore what is coming out of Evansville because of the recently closed SAC but Memorial and/or Reitz could be great for all I know.  That leaves East Central, Roncalli, New Pal, and either Memorial or Reitz to contend for the South.  I’d also keep in mind that the East Central/Roncalli game has taken on a level of rivalry much like the Cathedral/Chatard/Roncalli games and it’s possible even an overpowering East Central falters in such a game.  New Pal doesn’t appear to be as completely overpowering as recent years so it’s entirely within the range of probability that Roncalli survives to make it to State.

The only thought I have outside of that is that, based on the last decade or so of experience, the likely winner comes out of the South - whoever that winner is.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I agree that I think it’s hard to get a pinpoint measure on any of those teams individually from those rivalry games and I also agree that East Central, by all appearances appears better than last year (and they were simply a “machine” in the post-season last year).  But Roncalli also appeared to be absolutely dominant the last couple of years and failed in both years to make it to Lucas.  

As regards 4A South, no one here ever really knows anymore what is coming out of Evansville because of the recently closed SAC but Memorial and/or Reitz could be great for all I know.  That leaves East Central, Roncalli, New Pal, and either Memorial or Reitz to contend for the South.  I’d also keep in mind that the East Central/Roncalli game has taken on a level of rivalry much like the Cathedral/Chatard/Roncalli games and it’s possible even an overpowering East Central falters in such a game.  New Pal doesn’t appear to be as completely overpowering as recent years so it’s entirely within the range of probability that Roncalli survives to make it to State.

The only thought I have outside of that is that, based on the last decade or so of experience, the likely winner comes out of the South - whoever that winner is.

I can totally agree with this.

Right now I have in 4A:

1.) East Central

Next tier (you can mix them all around)

2.) Kokomo

3.) Ev. Reitz

4.) Ev Memorial

5.) Roncalli

6.) New Pal

Next Tier is a mix of several teams. I definitely think the South is over powering the North as of right now.

• Like 1