Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Moratorium Rant

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

I'm still not clear on what restrictions are on football that are not on other school sponsored sports. Maybe someone can elaborate without bringing up the subject of club/AAU sports?

As are school sponsored sports. School sponsored athletics are not free or cheap at our school system, and actually the time commitment is probably even more for school sports. At least until the students are old enough to drive themselves to and from practice, lifting, team meetings and to the school and home from the games.

We can tell. 😉

Besides holiday Basketball Tournaments and maybe a holiday wrestling tourney I have not seen a school sponsored sport where a family would have to book hotel for up to 4 days in another state, pay for entry into the tourney, consecions at the event, dinner and breakfast for before and after the event. 

I would say the time commitment to travel sports far out weighs the commitment for school sports. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

Besides holiday Basketball Tournaments and maybe a holiday wrestling tourney I have not seen a school sponsored sport where a family would have to book hotel for up to 4 days in another state, pay for entry into the tourney, consecions at the event, dinner and breakfast for before and after the event. 

I would say the time commitment to travel sports far out weighs the commitment for school sports. 

What restrictions are there on high school football in Indiana that are different from restrictions on other school sponsored sports? That's what I'm asking. So far, crickets.

I cannot quote what other sports have but I know in my area, basketball fills up June. I would say most schools play a whole season worth of games in June between team camps, summer league games and whatever else they can schedule plus practices that fill up the rest of the time. So if I am a football coach, looking at what basketball does during June, I feel like they are allowed to do more. But to me, that's just the difference in sports.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

What restrictions are there on high school football in Indiana that are different from restrictions on other school sponsored sports? That's what I'm asking. So far, crickets.

The summer is the pre-season for Fall sports. The fall is the pre-season for winter sports. There is a moratorium week in the summer but not in the fall. Doesn't matter if if the moratorium week pertains to all sports. Fall sports only have so much time to get ready for the season. 

3 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

The summer is the pre-season for Fall sports. The fall is the pre-season for winter sports. There is a moratorium week in the summer but not in the fall. Doesn't matter if if the moratorium week pertains to all sports. Fall sports only have so much time to get ready for the season. 

And for some schools, that’s almost 295 days a year (only playing 10 guaranteed weeks) like 🕰 work. 

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Nice moving the goalposts there.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/2018-19 By Laws.pdf

I will say I’m not an expert on the IHSAA by-laws but looking at Rule 15-3 (page 59) only one sport specially has its summer contest days limited. There might be a limit somewhere else in the by-laws but I don’t know. 

I can say as a parent of a multi - sport athlete, that he has attended ‘voluntary’ open gyms to football workouts by about 2 to 1.

49 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

Winter sports can only meet and practice twice a week for two hours at a time during a six week time period during the fall, the same amount of time Football can do during the winter and and spring six week sessions.

• Like 1

Basketball can schedule more competition days than football, where football is allowed only 5 days of competition, Basketball can have 10 different scrimmages or competition days just using numbers, the actual number for basketball is unlimited number of practices and competition days in the summer, where as football is restricted to 12 days of practice of which 5 can be 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 Thud sessions.    

There is no cap of open gym times/practice/competition days for Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Basketball can schedule more competition days than football, where football is allowed only 5 days of competition, Basketball can have 10 different scrimmages or competition days just using numbers, the actual number for basketball is unlimited number of practices and competition days in the summer, where as football is restricted to 12 days of practice of which 5 can be 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 Thud sessions.    

There is no cap of open gym times/practice/competition days for Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer  

Correct. The IHSAA does need to limit the amount of practices allowed for all sports over the summer in my opinion. Im sure football was the first on the list for restrictions due to the collision nature of the sport and the use of protective equipment that can lead to increase of the likelihood of heat problems. 

6 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Even better reason for Club Football. Plenty of facilities available for rent. 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:21 PM, oldtimeqb said:

I think it’s a ridiculous double standard imposed on IHSAA coaches and teams. 

I get the purpose of moratorium week. However my son who plays football isn’t allowed to use the HS weight room, workout with his coaches, or have organized team activities.

Meanwhile he has friends playing club volleyball in Indianapolis and AAU basketball in Louisville. Multiple games each day. Both events have hundreds of teams in every age group, and it would be a safe bet to say some are from more than 300 miles away. 

I don’t have any answers, it’s just something that grinds my gears and felt this was the place to vent!

Good week for a family vacation.

Too bad VB and BB don't get that opportunity.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

My 'Beef" has been I have sat in IFCA board meeting since 2010, I have heard 5 times now that the state is going to make Basketball fall in line with football when it comes to competition days, workouts, etc.   Just this last spring.......

I am not upset at all about Mort week, nor am I about the football set up in the summer, we are far ahead of the curve, just stop saying the other sports will get in line going on almost 10 years when there is no end in sight for that to actually come to fruition.   

Wrestling, Swimming, Volleyball, Basketball "clubs" are nothing more then a get around and many get sold on the "exposure" tour if you will, for some it is time and money well spent, for others its not, and more power to those who do, just when it comes to IHSAA and summer restrictions it would be nice to see others follow IFCA lead.  

Couldn't agree more Coach!

I have been on the board of the ICGSA since 2013. We have been told repeatedly by assistant commissioners that summer rules were coming. I even proposed a limited contact summer schedule for all sports. We were told in 2015 that the Student Advisory Council voted unanimously the wanted no contact in the summer, like we had back in the day. We were told that Bobby Cox puts a lot of weight on what the Student Advisory Council has to say.  We were advised to be progressive and come up with a plan, before we had something shoved down our throat that no one liked. Here we are five years later and still nothing.

***Editorial*** The demand put on high school kids in the summers are stupid in my opinion. It's too much, particularly when you look at kids who want/need to have jobs. I applaud the IFCA in being proactive and getting out in front of this issue. I would also ask this, are we really seeing any gains from all this summer activity? I see a LOT of high school sports, I officiate two sports and see much more. This past spring, in talking with a LOT of coaches in multiple sports, I firmly believe the overall level of play across the board in high school sports in Indiana is not what it was 10 or even five years ago. You want to know why we're seeing dwindling numbers across the board, look at all the demands we place on kids. And from a purely Football perspective, look at the number of good young coaches we're losing in this game to burnout and leaving because of time commitments. Young coaches usually involve young families. These young men are choosing their families, which I applaud, but it doesn't help our game. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on here in a while but this thread intrigues me. I have said for years that college coaches must take part of the blame for this AAU/Travel ball stuff getting out of hand. Instead of getting out during the season, it is more convenient to wait until the summer. I can speak from experience that both of my nieces were told by their volleyball coach, at a school in Indiana, you must play travel volleyball or you cannot try out. Isn't this against IHSAA regulations or is that just something that football coaches follow. (Sarcasm intended).

Edited by Indian74
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, NorthKnox94 said:

North knox has 2 weeks...the ihsaa sanctioned moratorium and a week imposed by the school...

Our corporation does the same. It's a nice little break for everyone. Vacations are scheduled in that window, and being a small school a lot of athletes play multiple sports. Some time off is definitely a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indian74 said:

I haven't been on here in a while but this thread intrigues me. I have said for years that college coaches must take part of the blame for this AAU/Travel ball stuff getting out of hand. Instead of getting out during the season, it is more convenient to wait until the summer. I can speak from experience that both of my nieces were told by their volleyball coach, at a school in Indiana, you must play travel volleyball or you cannot try out. Isn't this against IHSAA regulations or is that just something that football coaches follow. (Sarcasm intended).

My daughter was told that by our HS volleyball coach. She was cut here sophomore hear because she was not on a travel volleyball team. She did 4-things and enjoyed being a kid. My question is if you truly have a freak of an athlete would you allow them to play if they did not participate in all the summer stuff with AAU/Travel?

5 minutes ago, futbolfan said:

its interesting that we can make coming to practice In the summer mandatory, but we have a mandatory week off. 

I was told you can not make summer workouts mandatory for football.

21 minutes ago, futbolfan said:

its interesting that we can make coming to practice In the summer mandatory, but we have a mandatory week off. 

All out of season activities are voluntary by rule. I did not say in practice, I said by rule. 

17 minutes ago, brvheart63 said:

My daughter was told that by our HS volleyball coach. She was cut here sophomore hear because she was not on a travel volleyball team. She did 4-things and enjoyed being a kid. My question is if you truly have a freak of an athlete would you allow them to play if they did not participate in all the summer stuff with AAU/Travel?

OK first of all VB is the scourge of women's sports. This crap is the reason my kid dropped VB. Her passion was Softball, she liked to play Basketball. Her HS BB coach worked with her. She was a good enough athlete she could help the BB team and missed most of the summer stuff. Even at schools the size of Seymour, sports HAVE to share athletes, some coaches get that and some never will. See my post above, "the placed on kids in the summer by coaches are stupid!"

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, DannEllenwood said:

I’ve been out of the game for a bit....this past week was moratorium week, correct?

I highly recommend Bonita Springs, Fl. this time of year. 

Florida in the summer, a little to humid for me, I prefer the UP of Meat Chicken...

On 7/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, CoachVeatch said:

Our corporation does the same. It's a nice little break for everyone. Vacations are scheduled in that window, and being a small school a lot of athletes play multiple sports. Some time off is definitely a good thing.

I believe per by-laws, all schools are required to take two moratorium weeks. Week 1 of the IHSAA calendar is mandatory for all schools, whatever week July 4 falls in. The other week is at the individual school's discretion. Unless it's changed. I have not paid much attention since my retirement. I know Seymour still takes "fair week" as their 2nd moratorium week, with a fairly large agri-business/4H contingent in the student body.

16 hours ago, Gipper said:

Florida in the summer, a little to humid for me, I prefer the UP of Meat Chicken...

It was gorgeous weather for the most part. 

In mid central Wisconsin this week at our Church’s Movement Camp. Going hiking and rock climbing today. 

28 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

It was gorgeous weather for the most part. 

In mid central Wisconsin this week at our Church’s Movement Camp. Going hiking and rock climbing today. 

Sweet!  Enjoy God's country...