Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Moratorium Rant

I think it’s a ridiculous double standard imposed on IHSAA coaches and teams. 

I get the purpose of moratorium week. However my son who plays football isn’t allowed to use the HS weight room, workout with his coaches, or have organized team activities.

Meanwhile he has friends playing club volleyball in Indianapolis and AAU basketball in Louisville. Multiple games each day. Both events have hundreds of teams in every age group, and it would be a safe bet to say some are from more than 300 miles away. 

I don’t have any answers, it’s just something that grinds my gears and felt this was the place to vent!

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think it’s a ridiculous double standard imposed on IHSAA coaches and teams. 

I get the purpose of moratorium week. However my son who plays football isn’t allowed to use the HS weight room, workout with his coaches, or have organized team activities.

Meanwhile he has friends playing club volleyball in Indianapolis and AAU basketball in Louisville. Multiple games each day. Both events have hundreds of teams in every age group, and it would be a safe bet to say some are from more than 300 miles away. 

I don’t have any answers, it’s just something that grinds my gears and felt this was the place to vent!

The moratorium is not just for football, it's for all sports.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gonzoron said:

The moratorium is not just for football, it's for all sports.

Surely you are not saying volleyball and basketball aren’t sports? 

Like Coach Nowlin said, my beef isn’t that IHSAA has a moratorium week. It’s that there is zero restrictions on summer club/AAU sports. 

Not sure going back to Aug 1 and 2-a-days would solve anything. I can tell you this much - every HS football coach I’ve known will follow the rules. I can’t speak to club sports. 

• Like 1

My 'Beef" has been I have sat in IFCA board meeting since 2010, I have heard 5 times now that the state is going to make Basketball fall in line with football when it comes to competition days, workouts, etc.   Just this last spring.......

I am not upset at all about Mort week, nor am I about the football set up in the summer, we are far ahead of the curve, just stop saying the other sports will get in line going on almost 10 years when there is no end in sight for that to actually come to fruition.   

Wrestling, Swimming, Volleyball, Basketball "clubs" are nothing more then a get around and many get sold on the "exposure" tour if you will, for some it is time and money well spent, for others its not, and more power to those who do, just when it comes to IHSAA and summer restrictions it would be nice to see others follow IFCA lead.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

My 'Beef" has been I have sat in IFCA board meeting since 2010, I have heard 5 times now that the state is going to make Basketball fall in line with football when it comes to competition days, workouts, etc.   Just this last spring.......

I am not upset at all about Mort week, nor am I about the football set up in the summer, we are far ahead of the curve, just stop saying the other sports will get in line going on almost 10 years when there is no end in sight for that to actually come to fruition.   

Wrestling, Swimming, Volleyball, Basketball "clubs" are nothing more then a get around and many get sold on the "exposure" tour if you will, for some it is time and money well spent, for others its not, and more power to those who do, just when it comes to IHSAA and summer restrictions it would be nice to see others follow IFCA lead.  

Why aren't there football "clubs"?  Is there an IHSAA/IFCA rule preventing it?

• Like 1

I’ve been out of the game for a bit....this past week was moratorium week, correct?

I highly recommend Bonita Springs, Fl. this time of year. 

43 minutes ago, MacAttack53 said:

Most traveling 7on7 squads would be deemed a “club.” AWP, Select, EPS, etc.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Why aren't there football "clubs"?  Is there an IHSAA/IFCA rule preventing it?

I was just thinking why don't Football teams/players do like a flag football club for a few weeks/a month or so in summer. That way they could do at least some form of practicing??

Probably part of the reason I’m out of the game. I firmly believe kids need MORE time off during the summer to be kids, instead of adding more to their plate. 

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Probably part of the reason I’m out of the game. I firmly believe kids need MORE time off during the summer to be kids, instead of adding more to their plate. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  That is the #1 reason I left coaching.

I have so many kids that work and play other sports, I try and keep summer as simple as possible. We workout 3 times a week for an hour and a half to two hours. They can come to a morning or evening session. We have our 1 week camp coming up next week, where we practice 4 times and on Friday we go scrimmage someone else. We will also go to Jasper for their 7 on 7 tournament in a few weeks. That's a fun time. I look at the workouts as preparing themselves for the season so injuries can be prevented. In camp, I just focus on teaching the drills we want to do during the season and teaching some basic offense and defense just so there is some base knowledge. The 7 on 7 tournament is just a good time. Some of the stuff other schools in our area do makes me wonder how kids and families make time. 

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

Wholeheartedly agree.  That is the #1 reason I left coaching.

4 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

I think the biggest problem oldtimeqb and Coach Nowlin have is fall sports have a week where there can be no coach involvement what so ever but winter sports that do have Xmas break do not have restrictions like that during their break. 

Travel basketball, travel Baseball and travel Vollyball most times are coached by high school coaches and have many players that play for that coach during the school year on it. 

I feel that the Summer should be for kids to enjoy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Warren05 said:

Travel basketball, travel Baseball and travel Vollyball most times are coached by high school coaches and have many players that play for that coach during the school year on it. 

In travel basketball, at least for girls, a player cannot be on a team coached by their high school coach. And no team can have more than 3 players from the same school. And the moratorium week IS included in this. High School coaches can have NO contact with any of their high school players even at a club or AAU event. 

I have coached for a few years. I think it is very important for the kids to get away from the school and the coaches. Some conferences even have a dead week before the official IHSAA practice start date. I think that is a great idea. We do forget sometimes that some players even the great ones do not love football like their coaches. They need a break. 

I do feel the AAU/Travel teams seem to gotten out of hand. When coaches say to a player if you are not on a travel/AAU team then you are not on the school team is wrong. I do know that is happening in the state. 

• Like 2
  • Disdain 1

Moratorium week is controlled by education-based IHSAA.

Followed by IHSAA member schools.

Agreed that the student-athletes need time away from school and coaches. 

AAU and Travel teams are out of hand. Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer all vying for similar athletes, especially at smaller schools.   All three want athletes and ask for them in June.   Talk about burnout.  AAU/Travel ball coaches force the student-athletes to choose.

IHSAA can not make choices for student-athletes,  Moratorium or not.

Bottom line: Student-athletes trying to please everyone puts them at risk.

There are student-athletes now that pass on high school team in favor of AAU/Travel teams.

As always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

• Disdain 1

22 hours ago, gonzoron said:

We could go back to 2 a day practices starting August 15, no contact before that, and a 10 game schedule with no playoffs. Surely everyone would be happy with that.

Hey, it was good enough back in ‘69! 

This just in: Get Off My Lawn!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

It's pretty easy to see why football participation is down across the State if this bitterness and misinformation is a prevalent belief across Indiana.

What bitterness? The fact that we want the kids to have a summer? The fact that travel ball has gotten out of hand and costs families far to much money and time. The fact that football gives out far more full rides to college than baseball or softball or basketball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

It's pretty easy to see why football participation is down across the State if this bitterness and misinformation is a prevalent belief across Indiana.

I agree the misinformation sent out to sensationalize the drama of head injuries sure has worked for some communities nationwide.   Glad football has fought back, adjusted and has proven over time to continue to be working on creating the safest experience possible.   

If IHSAA has told IFCA for multiple years that other school sponsored sports are going to have to create or have it created for them summer restrictions, and yet over 6 years now they haven't what would you say to that?   Not bitter, just still waiting.    

as far as travel ball goes, I have purposefully chosen with my lovely Mrs to avoid all ALL STAR try outs, invitations, and other requests by local youth coaches starting back when mini me was playing park league softball at age 8, no thank you.   Just not our families thing, more power to others and the opportunities you want to give to your family, it is quite the time and money commitment.   

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If IHSAA has told IFCA for multiple years that other school sponsored sports are going to have to create or have it created for them summer restrictions, and yet over 6 years now they haven't what would you say to that?

I'm still not clear on what restrictions are on football that are not on other school sponsored sports. Maybe someone can elaborate without bringing up the subject of club/AAU sports?

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

as far as travel ball goes, I have purposefully chosen with my lovely Mrs to avoid all ALL STAR try outs, invitations, and other requests by local youth coaches starting back when mini me was playing park league softball at age 8, no thank you.   Just not our families thing, more power to others and the opportunities you want to give to your family, it is quite the time and money commitment.

As are school sponsored sports. School sponsored athletics are not free or cheap at our school system, and actually the time commitment is probably even more for school sports. At least until the students are old enough to drive themselves to and from practice, lifting, team meetings and to the school and home from the games.