Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indy Lutheran Legitimacy

I know I sometimes get caught up looking at box scores as it’s impossible to see every team in person but damn.

Some folks questioned Lutheran’s omission from Temp’s Top 25 and I scoffed at the time.

Not anymore.  They’ve dominated everyone in their path including what I consider damn fine teams in Triton Central, Scecina and Monrovia by a combined score of 134-41!

While I don’t have em top 25 (yet) they are getting damn close.

As one who often focuses a lot of his attention on 5A/6A teams which I feel I know best, thought this squad deserved a special shout out.

Good luck 1A…

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

Just our luck at AC. Once we finally get over the semi state issues outside of the 2000 state title team, we now have a state finals issue. We probably should have beat Lutheran in 2021 but didn't after giving up a 14 point lead. Last year Lutheran was just flat out better. It appears they are much better than last year as well. Add them to the list with Pioneer, LCC, and Sheridan of having our number in the playoffs. Imagine getting bummed up from success factor and never winning it. That could be possible as well as our enrollment growing. 

This Adams Central team is good enough to win 90% of past 1A titles, but will be the underdog when they square off with Indy Lutheran. It will be a true David vs Goliath. Rural Adams County takes on the Inner Indy All Stars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

This Adams Central team is good enough to win 90% of past 1A titles, but will be the underdog when they square off with Indy Lutheran. It will be a true David vs Goliath. Rural Adams County takes on the Inner Indy All Stars. 

Lutheran would easily win 2A in my opinion and East Central/Charard could win 5A.

Any others that could step up a class (or two) and win the title?

Lutheran is as advertised, Tough , Physical and has the speed to win down the field as well. We didn't really help ourselves in this game at the beginning, one of those miscues being cause by Lutheran.  

They probably deserve to be in the Top 25 in the state regardless of their Class.

And that isn't taking anything away from Temps Top 25, not everyone has the balls to put their out there. HE DOES.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

Lutheran is as advertised, Tough , Physical and has the speed to win down the field as well. We didn't really help ourselves in this game at the beginning, one of those miscues being cause by Lutheran.  

They probably deserve to be in the Top 25 in the state regardless of their Class.

And that isn't taking anything away from Temps Top 25, not everyone has the balls to put their out there. HE DOES.

FWIW, I have them at HM #34 overall.

I can't speak to whether or not Indy Lutheran is Top 25 quality having not seem them play. But I did have an opportunity to catch a 1A game Friday night. Having seen high quality 4A, 5A, and 6A football so far this year, I have to say that the difference in these levels compared to 1A is utterly massive.

1A is to 6A as Ben Davis is to Ball State. With a few exceptions of course. Adams Central and Indy Lutheran wouldn't back down from anyone. 

Full disclosure: The game I attended didn't involve ranked programs

• Like 1

The entire Lutheran thing reminds me a lot of the LCC “discussions” back prior to the advent of the Success Factor era.  Despite a couple of occasions when I might have disagreed a bit with some of its fans, LCC had several continuous years of teams that punched well above their class - often beating a really strong 3A West Lafayette annually if I recall correctly.  

I also find myself thinking of 2A Luers during Jaylon Smith’s Senior year.  I think they were an ABSOLUTELY legit top 10-15 team that year.  I can’t recall if they outright won the SAC that year but they handled a very good Ritter team (admittedly with a couple of injuries) who also could have been a Top 25 team at LOS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

AC will get their shot next yr.... 🤗

We won't be as strong. Should be competitive but maybe a step below where they've been. I like the junior & sophomore classes, but they don't have as much depth as the senior class. The freshman are decent but much more individual wise than full class wise. The 7th & 8th grade classes do not seem to have the same numbers and have struggled. The good thing is we have middle school coaches that will prepare them for high school. Also helps that the MS staff watches our youth & gives advice to players & coaches of 5th & 6th grade. Be curious how the 6th graders do when they are on 1 team instead of being split as they have some talent in spots. Seems what one team is lacking, the other team has and vice versa. We just started flag prek through 4th as parents want to be attached to the program & community. 

33 minutes ago, Lysander said:

The entire Lutheran thing reminds me a lot of the LCC “discussions” back prior to the advent of the Success Factor era.  Despite a couple of occasions when I might have disagreed a bit with some of its fans, LCC had several continuous years of teams that punched well above their class - often beating a really strong 3A West Lafayette annually if I recall correctly.  

I also find myself thinking of 2A Luers during Jaylon Smith’s Senior year.  I think they were an ABSOLUTELY legit top 10-15 team that year.  I can’t recall if they outright won the SAC that year but they handled a very good Ritter team (admittedly with a couple of injuries) who also could have been a Top 25 team at LOS.

In 2015, 1A LCC beat 3A West Lafayette and both teams ended the season at LOS with LCC bringing home a blue ring with a victory over Linton and West Lafayette bringing home the red against Chatard.

In 2009, 1A LCC and 3A West Lafayette both ended up in LOS with both bringing home blue rings.  That was a year of the "mythical river championship" when the conjecture was that LCC could have won 3A that season.  While LCC and WL did not play that year ... that would have to wait until 2011 and the "Immaculate Interception" where LCC would stun WL 21-14 with a 21-point 4th quarter including a last-minute pick-6 to win the game ... common opponent scores would show LCC going 56-0 and 68-0 compared to WL's 48-19 and 41-14 against Delphi and Benton Central, respectively.

Incidentally, in that 2011 year when LCC and WL hooked up in the season of te Immaculate Interception game, the season before LCC joined the HC, LCC 3-peated in 1A, while WL dropped a 21-13 semi-state game to South Bend St. Joe.

In the first 6 seasons starting with the resumption of play in 2011, LCC topped WL 5 of 6 seasons.  For the last seven seasons though, WL has prevailed.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'll settle for 80%, not going any lower though. 

I'll leave you argue with the Sheridan folks about the Zachery years, but I'd say that the four years of LCC four-peat and Pioneer's juggernaut 2018 makes the starting point 90% at the ceiling.

23 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I'll leave you argue with the Sheridan folks about the Zachery years, but I'd say that the four years of LCC four-peat and Pioneer's juggernaut 2018 makes the starting point 90% at the ceiling.

I don't know what the exact number is, I just know Adams Central as a state championship quality team this year for a 1A school. It sounds to me like Indy Lutheran might have 3A/4A type resources. Indy football inside the donut is amongst the worst in the state. I can only conclude that the talent that resides there is being bled out to other schools. But yes, Sheridan, LCC, and Pioneer all had some very very good good teams.. 

33 minutes ago, foxbat said:

All of them knocked AC out in semi state. My freshman year & Zachery's, Sheridan throttled us in Monroe on their way to 4 appearances & winning 3. Pioneer clobbered AC at the Pit in 97 and then my brother's senior year 2016 they won 22-8 in the cold monsoon. They'd lose to Linton but then get their wins in following years including 2018 over us in Logansport. I believe it was in 99 LCC came to Monroe with a stacked squad and whooped us. LB core was outstanding. They had their run when we were down & then beat us in 2019 at LCC on their way to another title over Lutheran in a barn burner. Now the last 2 years Lutheran has done the same at state to us. If we could have won say a quarter of those, it would have been awesome.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

All of them knocked AC out in semi state. My freshman year & Zachery's, Sheridan throttled us in Monroe on their way to 4 appearances & winning 3. Pioneer clobbered AC at the Pit in 97 and then my brother's senior year 2016 they won 22-8 in the cold monsoon. They'd lose to Linton but then get their wins in following years including 2018 over us in Logansport. I believe it was in 99 LCC came to Monroe with a stacked squad and whooped us. LB core was outstanding. They had their run when we were down & then beat us in 2019 at LCC on their way to another title over Lutheran in a barn burner. Now the last 2 years Lutheran has done the same at state to us. If we could have won say a quarter of those, it would have been awesome.

No worries... I respect the AC program... they won a State Title... so they Know what it takes... i've been around since 3 class FB... sooo when someone like BTF puts his credibility on the line making a bonehead statement like 90/80% of 1a Titles would go to this AC squad... its just absurd... the closest thing to that I can remember was when 84? Sheridan fans thout they could win the BiG School Title... 😄  I'm sure their staff knew better... but hey it's alotta fun to speculate!  😊

8 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

No worries... I respect the AC program... they won a State Title... so they Know what it takes... i've been around since 3 class FB... sooo when someone like BTF puts his credibility on the line making a bonehead statement like 90/80% of 1a Titles would go to this AC squad... its just absurd... the closest thing to that I can remember was when 84? Sheridan fans thout they could win the BiG School Title... 😄  I'm sure their staff knew better... but hey it's alotta fun to speculate!  😊

It was the 1988 Sheridan team that said they could beat Ben Davis.  Ben Davis beat Marion 43-0 for the 5a title that year. 

• Haha 1