Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Success Factor "tweek" from IHSAA?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/04/26/girls-wrestling-boys-volleyball-proposed-as-recognized-sports-by-ihsaa/73438427007/

FTA 

Stacey Brewer, the principal at Yorktown, submitted a proposal to address the change that has been made to the one-game regional and two-game semistate and how it relates to the tournament success factor.

As it stands, if a school is moved up a class via the tournament success factor, it must earn three points (a regional championship is worth two points, a sectional one) during a two-year period to stay up (that was changed from two points last year). Under Brewer’s proposal, another point would be added, meaning a school would have to accumulate four points during a two-year period to remain up a class.

The straw poll at Plainfield showed just 15 in favor and 52 opposed to that change. (my emphasis)

Thoughts?  The 1 Game Regional, 2 Game Semistate, comment applies to basketball only?  Doesn't look like it got much traction, but seems to be a desire by some to make it "harder" for teams to "stay up"?

Edited by US31

Can't imagine this would ever pass. I was pretty surprised it went from 3 to 2 to stay up before this school year.

Off topic, but I heard at the meeting down here they took straw poll votes on a number of topics to gauge the pulse - NIL, 1 time transfer with full eligibility, unlimited transfers with full eligibility, etc.

1 hour ago, US31 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/04/26/girls-wrestling-boys-volleyball-proposed-as-recognized-sports-by-ihsaa/73438427007/

FTA 

Stacey Brewer, the principal at Yorktown, submitted a proposal to address the change that has been made to the one-game regional and two-game semistate and how it relates to the tournament success factor.

As it stands, if a school is moved up a class via the tournament success factor, it must earn three points (a regional championship is worth two points, a sectional one) during a two-year period to stay up (that was changed from two points last year). Under Brewer’s proposal, another point would be added, meaning a school would have to accumulate four points during a two-year period to remain up a class.

The straw poll at Plainfield showed just 15 in favor and 52 opposed to that change. (my emphasis)

Thoughts?  The 1 Game Regional, 2 Game Semistate, comment applies to basketball only?  Doesn't look like it got much traction, but seems to be a desire by some to make it "harder" for teams to "stay up"?

Side note, how about they change that format again. Make the current regional be called "district" and the 1st semi state as the regional. Then do a final 4 weekend of semi state & state for hoops.

1 hour ago, US31 said:

FTA 

Brewer has proposed this rule before, and continues to propose it because Yorktown volleyball can’t win state in 4A.  The entire reason for this is so their volleyball team can get moved back to 3A and win state again.  Fortunately, it doesn’t look like the proposal is getting much support.  Similar results to the polling occurred at other spring principals meetings.

In my opinion, the point total to stay up was appropriate at 2 points per cycle.  If your team is good enough to win 2 sectionals or 1 regional in a class above your enrollment, you are good enough to stay up.  The change that was made for this year was not necessary in my opinion.  It was proposed by Jeff Doyle from Barr-Reeve, who is an executive committee member, and was again motivated by a successful volleyball program.  The position on the executive committee should be a good indication of how it got approved.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Brewer has proposed this rule before, and continues to propose it because Yorktown volleyball can’t win state in 4A.  The entire reason for this is so their volleyball team can get moved back to 3A and win state again.  Fortunately, it doesn’t look like the proposal is getting much support.  Similar results to the polling occurred at other spring principals meetings.

In my opinion, the point total to stay up was appropriate at 2 points per cycle.  If your team is good enough to win 2 sectionals or 1 regional in a class above your enrollment, you are good enough to stay up.  The change that was made for this year was not necessary in my opinion.  It was proposed by Jeff Doyle from Barr-Reeve, who is an executive committee member, and was again motivated by a successful volleyball program.  The position on the executive committee should be a good indication of how it got approved.

Interesting back stories. Thanks. Those damn cheatin' publics...  LOL

You have any insight on the NIL and transfer topics that were evidently discussed?

Edited by tango

17 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

In my opinion, the point total to stay up was appropriate at 2 points per cycle.  If your team is good enough to win 2 sectionals or 1 regional in a class above your enrollment, you are good enough to stay up.  

Can't agree with this more

6 minutes ago, tango said:

Interesting back stories. Thanks. Those damn cheatin' publics...  LOL

You have any insight on the NIL and transfer topics that were evidently discussed?

Remember when DeSantis was on the committee and Bremen went one way and Jimtown was sent to Fort Wayne for sectionals?

11 minutes ago, Robert said:

Remember when DeSantis was on the committee and Bremen went one way and Jimtown was sent to Fort Wayne for sectionals?

I literally heard an opinion on this directly from Coach Sharpe himself.  It was very......

....."colorful"😇

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, US31 said:

I literally heard an opinion on this directly from Coach Sharpe himself.  It was very......

....."colorful"😇

And I hear over and over how forthright, honest, and what tremendous people these officials and administrators are.  :). I've seen way too much in these holy halls. 

On 4/26/2024 at 1:19 PM, Basementbias said:

Side note, how about they change that format again. Make the current regional be called "district" and the 1st semi state as the regional. Then do a final 4 weekend of semi state & state for hoops.

In other words, copy Kentucky?

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Some states have a true weekend "state" tournament the end of the tournament. You qualify through weekly conference/district/regional tournaments. But 8 teams qualify and play quarterfinal Thursday, semi-final Friday, and finals Saturday. Each class often has their own weekend so they are spread out or in different locations. It makes for a fun and exciting weekend. They will also play consolation rounds so each team still plays 3 games on the weekend.

4 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Not sure, more like Ohio. They have semis Friday & Saturday and finals for all Sunday. I'd rather see another round then have 2 semi state games. Semi State should be the final 4 not 8.

It should have been left at 2 points to start with rather than the current 3 points. If you can move up a class and either win a Sectional two years in a row or a Regional one of two years then you are in the appropriate class…..insofar as the purpose of the SF was intended to be.

• Like 7

On 4/26/2024 at 1:42 PM, HoopsCoach said:

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

It should have been left at 2 points to start with rather than the current 3 points. If you can move up a class and either win a Sectional two years in a row or a Regional one of two years then you are in the appropriate class…..insofar as the purpose of the SF was intended to be.

Agree, as evidenced by my post last Friday.