Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Dwenger at Harrison 5A regional

2 minutes ago, psaboy said:

So what is typical procedure for team when they have to travel over 2 hours away? Leave at noon/1:00  so they can arrive 3-4 hours before and unload, suit up and practice/warm up? Just wondering.

No No NO, leave at noon, swing into Hooters at 1-1:30. Get some wings , oysters and enjoy the scenery, just as long as you get to the field an hour before kick off, you've got it made.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, southend said:

No No NO, leave at noon, swing into Hooters at 1-1:30. Get some wings , oysters and enjoy the scenery, just as long as you get to the field an hour before kick off, you've got it made.

What, no lunch stop on way out of town ?? I would think that you would want to get there at least 2-3 hours before, but guess not.

I watched the first half of the McCutcheon and Harrison game. I was really impressed with the fullback. Running back made me nervous but I see he is done for the year, feel bad for him. Not to impressed with the passing game. Dwenger will be picking those high floating passes off. Now it was hard to really hard to tell how good Harrison is.. I will be honest, I thought McCutcheon was bad. I DON'T know for sure. But the O-line was slow and missed a lot of blocks. The defense was not that fast either. I feel like the speed of the SAC and the physical play will be the difference. 

We say at BD, " people come to hear us play!"

Edited by Mebuck
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mebuck said:

I watched the first half of the McCutcheon and Harrison game. I was really impressed with the fullback. Running back made me nervous but I see he is done for the year, feel bad for him. Not to impressed with the passing game. Dwenger will be picking those high floating passes off. Now it was hard to really hard to tell how good Harrison is.. I will be honest, I thought McCutcheon was bad. I DON'T know for sure. But the O-line was slow and missed a lot of blocks. The defense was not that fast either. I feel like the speed of the SAC and the physical play will be the difference. 

We say at BD, " people come to hear us play!"

McCutcheon isn't very good this year.  Playing in the NCC doesn't do a whole lot for getting Harrison ready for the tourney outside of, very recently, Marion and Jeff.  With that said, I think Harrison does look better this season than in past seasons, so I like their chances at home under normal circumstances.  The loss of Atisso is definitely going to weigh on them, but as you mentioned, Dixon, the fullback, is a good-looking back.  I think he sometimes gets overlooked, but he reminds me a bit of West Lafayette's Woodard from a few years back.  Coffing may be the one to step in for Atisso's position ... they are built about the same, although I think Atisso is a faster, shiftier back.  This will be a good game to determine if Harrison is really a continuing product of the NCC play or if they are perhaps moving to a next level in their program.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2019 at 7:37 AM, Robert said:

Dwenger reminds me of those teams that my dad used to drag me to watch in the 1970s or 1980s.  I was bored to death.  Then boom, they pull some %&$* out and they are fun to watch.  What if their OC was at Luers?  🙂 

Anything would be an improvement over what Luers has now. Offensive coordinator, O line Coach, Head coach, defensive coach. Wouldn't mind seeing them all go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

Valpo unfortunately. Dwenger ends up getting screwed with only 1 home playoff game. 

You don't see a lot of teams play both regional and semi-state on the road. That's kind of a raw deal for the players and the fans. The road trip didn't seem to have any impact last night, hopefully it wont against Valpo.

Dwenger has to be ready for what type of team Valpo is. They could be the best team Dwenger has faced this year. Possibly better than Homestead, Snider, and Carroll. Valpo has competed in the largest class. And honestly, the only thing that kept them from championships is competing with schools twice their size. 

This game could go either way. Good luck to the Saints!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

You don't see a lot of teams play both regional and semi-state on the road. That's kind of a raw deal for the players and the fans. The road trip didn't seem to have any impact last night, hopefully it wont against Valpo.

One thing you can be absolutely sure of: Dwenger fans will travel. Had them years ago in a semistate at Lowell when John Goodman was playing, and they packed the Inferno.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

One thing you can be absolutely sure of: Dwenger fans will travel. Had them years ago in a semistate at Lowell when John Goodman was playing, and they packed the Inferno.

Dwenger has a great fan base.

9 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

Awesome game by the saints. Any faith for next 

All I have heard is how good this Valpo team is... I think we got a chance... sucks we have to travel again.  Kills my pay check getting off early to drive 2 hours. Be nice if they moved the game to Saturday 

• Like 1

Speaking of Jon Goodman. I wonder what kind of career he would have had if he went to an Indiana or Purdue. Recruited by Weis, he always seemed to be in Kelly's doghouse. I've always had Goodman in my Top 5 most impactful players to come out of Fort Wayne................meaning his impact at the high school level. 

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

Speaking of Jon Goodman. I wonder what kind of career he would have had if he went to an Indiana or Purdue. Recruited by Weis, he always seemed to be in Kelly's doghouse. I've always had Goodman in my Top 5 most impactful players to come out of Fort Wayne................meaning his impact at the high school level. 

I think he would have had an even better HS career if he hadn’t been required to play QB as a senior. Not his natural position.

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I think he would have had an even better HS career if he hadn’t been required to play QB as a senior. Not his natural position.

I don't blame Dwenger for that decision though. I'm sure there were offers at the D1 level had he wanted to play QB. He was just that kind of athlete. He could QB. He could receive. He could return punts and kickoffs. It really makes me wonder what he would have done as a QB. 

4 hours ago, Mebuck said:

All I have heard is how good this Valpo team is... I think we got a chance... sucks we have to travel again.  Kills my pay check getting off early to drive 2 hours. Be nice if they moved the game to Saturday 

Do you know the injury situation? I didn’t notice Finley or Devon tippmann play in the second half at all. You’re right I don’t know why they wouldn’t move it to Saturday for people that work until 5. They did that against Lowell years back but I don’t remember them doing it since.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Massive crowd, great environment, freezing. Can’t help but think John Goodman would’ve been running wild at state while Lowell went down there with the run run run mentality that didn’t work against a good reitz team.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, FWfootball10 said:

.Massive crowd, great environment, freezing. Can’t help but think John Goodman would’ve been running wild at state while Lowell went down there with the run run run mentality that didn’t work against a good reitz team.

We had to go to the AD before the game to move the Dwenger crowd back. They had filled the visitors bleachers and flowed down to the field. One of the top 5 games I ever worked.  Real slobberknocker that went right down to the wire.

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

We had to go to the AD before the game to move the Dwenger crowd back. They had filled the visitors bleachers and flowed down to the field. One of the top 5 games I ever worked.  Real slobberknocker that went right down to the wire.

Great memories there. That Lowell team almost reminded me of Dwenger last year. Whereas Dwenger was loaded with talent Lowell was run the whole game with an occasional pass, play great D, and wear a team down in the 4th. It’s kinda sad, I think all these streaming options have hurt those kind of cross state game crowds. I can’t say I don’t like it since I watched one last night (worked til 5:30 so couldn’t make it to Lafayette in time) but I feel as if it’s hard to deny it hasn’t hurt crowds for bad weather or 2+ hour travel games.

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t recall a Dwenger crowd like that in an away game since that 2007 Lowell game. We also went there in 2009 and maybe had a similar crowd, but not quite as big.

6 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

Do you know the injury situation? I didn’t notice Finley or Devon tippmann play in the second half at all. You’re right I don’t know why they wouldn’t move it to Saturday for people that work until 5. They did that against Lowell years back but I don’t remember them doing it since.

Massive crowd, great environment, freezing. Can’t help but think John Goodman would’ve been running wild at state while Lowell went down there with the run run run mentality that didn’t work against a good reitz team.

I am hoping they both can play next week. That might be a tough game to pull off if those two are not playing.  Does anyone know or have an update? 

As far as game time, Valpo is on Central time if I’m not mistaken.  This allows for leaving a little bit later or if you can’t get off work until 5, you can still arrive on time.