Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

30 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

@dazed and confused posted a FoxNews link. 

The link posted did not state opposition to Trump wearing a mask. It is ridiculous to watch the Democrats and their mainstream media propaganda machine complain about Trump wearing a mask. If Trump is recorded wearing a mask any more they will be opposed to masks soon. Trump Derangement Syndrome is a mental illness. 

• Disdain 1

Local governments weigh major tax hikes to plug coronavirus-induced shortfalls. Property tax rates in Nashville will be increasing by 34 percent: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/local-governments-weigh-major-tax-hikes-to-plug-coronavirus-induced-shortfalls

Homeowners, beware.

State and local governments scrambling to raise money during the economic crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic are looking to increased property taxes -- as well as wealth taxes and more -- to fill budget holes.

The proposals come as officials are trying to strike a balance. Historic job losses caused by lockdowns fueled the downturn that's put the squeeze on city and state budgets. Washington sought to offset this with stimulus payments, additional unemployment benefits, business grants and more. Any push to raise taxes too dramatically could hurt the economy even more.

But some officials argue that increases are unavoidable.

Property tax rates in Nashville, Tenn., will be increasing by 34 percent in what Mayor John Cooper described as a “painful but necessary” move that will raise money for the city, which has taken a hit during the pandemic.

Elsewhere, the debate is raging.

This November, Californians will vote on whether to strip decades-old protections from commercial and industrial properties. Since 1978, tax reassessments to the fair market value of California property have only been done when the property is sold or there is new construction. Otherwise, assessments are capped at increases of 2 percent a year. The new measure, if approved, would make exceptions from this for industrial and non-agricultural commercial property, requiring them to be reassessed to fair market value at least every three years.

In Chicago, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said property tax increases are “on the table” to help address budgetary problems that include a projected shortfall of nearly $700 million that she said could become even greater.

“Those are the last choices and tools that I want to use, but I can’t take any of them off the table," she said.

In Texas, Dallas lawmakers were considering a massive property tax hike of as much as 8 percent but needed the city council to pass a measure allowing them to increase rates by more than 3.5 percent. In May, the resolution failed after a 12-3 vote.

“I want to take this option off the table," City Council member Cara Mendelsohn said, according to local NBCDFW. "And if we were to pass this resolution and we were to increase taxes even close to this amount, we would be creating the next disaster for Dallas.”

Other areas are looking at different methods of increasing revenue, such as wealth taxes. A New York state senator from Queens said in May that “the only people who actually have money right now are billionaires,” and introduced a bill that would treat capital gains as income and would tax unrealized capital gains.

That money would not be used for existing programs, however. The funds raised by the increased taxes on billionaires would go to a new “worker bailout fund” that would provide monthly payments of $3,300 for people who do not qualify for unemployment benefits or CARES Act payments.

How about, you know, reducing spending if your don't have the income to support it?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  The welfare state must be maintained at practically any cost, if keeps people dependent on government and justifies the politicians lust for power.

Is there anyone who can explain how the St. Joseph County (South Bend) Public Health Officer Dr. Fox (interviewed this morning on WSBT Channel 22) can say "The daily Covid case numbers are lower until after Tuesday due to no new testing on the weekends, but the new cases are reported after tests are confirmed and tabulated"  Then 20 seconds later explain that the increased testing going on doesn't affect the  increased numbers we seem to be experiencing right now......🤪

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Local governments weigh major tax hikes to plug coronavirus-induced shortfalls. Property tax rates in Nashville will be increasing by 34 percent: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/local-governments-weigh-major-tax-hikes-to-plug-coronavirus-induced-shortfalls

How about, you know, reducing spending if your don't have the income to support it?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  The welfare state must be maintained at practically any cost, if keeps people dependent on government and justifies the politicians lust for power.

Let them eat cake?

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Did you have Mr Beal for World History as well, or were all of your social studies teachers garbage?

He was my history, social studies, and government teacher for grades K-12.  Small government school.

Again, how much more in property taxes are you willing to pony up to maintain current government spending levels?

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Enough to run current social services.

So if that is a 50% increase you would happily pay it?  And you know what they say about government and taxes.............................

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Reduce spending, funniest thing I've heard all day !! Standard democratic model, give people the means so they keep voting you in office. Taxes feed entitlements. 

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Bottoms Tests Positive For COVID-19 After Marching with Black Lives Matter Militants

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Bottoms announced late Monday evening that she tested positive for COVID-19.

“COVID-19 has literally hit home,” the mayor wrote. “I have had NO symptoms and have tested positive.”

The Mayor said during an interview with CNN that her husband and one of her children also tested positive for the virus.

Keisha Bottoms marched with Black Lives Matter militants on June 4.

She was wearing a mask and the media tells us that protesting with BLM is safe so how did she get infected with COVID-19?

• Disdain 1

Catholic Church lobbied for taxpayer funds, got $1.4B

https://apnews.com/dab8261c68c93f24c0bfc1876518b3f6

The U.S. Roman Catholic Church used a special and unprecedented exemption from federal rules to amass at least $1.4 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus aid, with many millions going to dioceses that have paid huge settlements or sought bankruptcy protection because of clergy sexual abuse cover-ups.

The church’s haul may have reached -- or even exceeded -- $3.5 billion, making a global religious institution with more than a billion followers among the biggest winners in the U.S. government’s pandemic relief efforts, an Associated Press analysis of federal data released this week found.

Houses of worship and faith-based organizations that promote religious beliefs aren’t usually eligible for money from the U.S. Small Business Administration. But as the economy plummeted and jobless rates soared, Congress let faith groups and other nonprofits tap into the Paycheck Protection Program, a $659 billion fund created to keep Main Street open and Americans employed.

By aggressively promoting the payroll program and marshaling resources to help affiliates navigate its shifting rules, Catholic dioceses, parishes, schools and other ministries have so far received approval for at least 3,500 forgivable loans, AP found.

The Archdiocese of New York, for example, received 15 loans worth at least $28 million just for its top executive offices. Its iconic St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Fifth Avenue was approved for at least $1 million.

In Orange County, California, where a sparkling glass cathedral estimated to cost over $70 million recently opened, diocesan officials working at the complex received four loans worth at least $3 million.

And elsewhere, a loan of at least $2 million went to the diocese covering Wheeling-Charleston, West Virginia, where a church investigation revealed last year that then-Bishop Michael Bransfield embezzled funds and made sexual advances toward young priests.

Simply being eligible for low-interest loans was a new opportunity. But the church couldn’t have been approved for so many loans -- which the government will forgive if they are used for wages, rent and utilities -- without a second break.

Religious groups persuaded the Trump administration to free them from a rule that typically disqualifies an applicant with more than 500 workers. Without this preferential treatment, many Catholic dioceses would have been ineligible because -- between their head offices, parishes and other affiliates -- their employees exceed the 500-person cap.

The government grants special dispensation, and that creates a kind of structural favoritism,” said Micah Schwartzman, a University of Virginia law professor specializing in constitutional issues and religion who has studied the Paycheck Protection Program. “And that favoritism was worth billions of dollars.

The amount that the church collected, between $1.4 billion and $3.5 billion, is an undercount. The Diocesan Fiscal Management Conference, an organization of Catholic financial officers, surveyed members and reported that about 9,000 Catholic entities received loans. That is nearly three times the number of Catholic recipients the AP could identify.

The AP couldn’t find more Catholic beneficiaries because the government’s data, released after pressure from Congress and a lawsuit from news outlets including the AP, didn’t name recipients of loans under $150,000 -- a category in which many smaller churches would fall. And because the government released only ranges of loan amounts, it wasn’t possible to be more precise.

Even without a full accounting, AP’s analysis places the Catholic Church among the major beneficiaries in the Paycheck Protection Program, which also has helped companies backed by celebrities, billionaires, state governors and members of Congress.

The program was open to all religious groups, and many took advantage. Evangelical advisers to President Donald Trump, including his White House spiritual czar, Paula White-Cain, also received loans.

After its lobbying blitz, the Catholic Church worked with parishes and schools to access the money.

Many dioceses -- from large ones such as the Archdiocese of Boston to smaller ones such as the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin -- assembled how-to guides to help their affiliates apply. The national Catholic fiscal conference also hosted multiple webinars with legal and financial experts to help coach along local leaders.

Federal data show that the bulk of the church’s money was approved during the loan program’s first two weeks. That’s when demand for the first-come, first-served assistance was so high that the initial $349 billion was quickly exhausted, shutting out many local businesses.

Overall, nearly 500 loans approved to Catholic entities exceeded $1 million each. The AP found that at least eight hit the maximum range of $5 million to $10 million. Many of the listed recipients were the offices of bishops, headquarters of leading religious orders, major churches, schools and chapters of Catholic Charities.

Also among recipients was the Saint Luke Institute. The Catholic treatment center for priests accused of sexual abuse and those suffering from other disorders received a loan ranging from $350,000 to $1 million. Based in Silver Spring, Maryland, the institute has at times been a way station for priests accused of sexual abuse who returned to active ministry only to abuse again.

Perhaps nothing illustrates the church’s aggressive pursuit of funds better than four dioceses that sued the federal government to receive loans, even though they entered bankruptcy proceedings due to mounting clergy sex-abuse claims. Small Business Administration rules prohibit loans to applicants in bankruptcy.

The Archdiocese of Santa Fe, New Mexico -- once home to a now-closed and notorious treatment center for predator priests -- prevailed in court, clearing the way for its administrative offices to receive nearly $1 million. It accused the SBA of overreaching by blocking bankruptcy applications when Congress didn’t spell that out.

Yet even when a diocese has lost in bankruptcy court, or its case is pending, its affiliated parishes, schools and other organizations remain eligible for loans.

On the U.S. territory of Guam, well over 200 clergy abuse lawsuits led church leaders in the tiny Archdiocese of Agana to seek bankruptcy protection, as they estimated at least $45 million in liabilities. Even so, the archdiocese’s parishes, schools and other organizations have received at least $1.7 million as it sues the SBA for approval to get a loan for its headquarters, according to bankruptcy filings.

The U.S. church may have a troubling record on sex abuse, but Bishop Lawrence Persico of Erie, Pennsylvania, pushed back on the idea that dioceses should be excluded from the government’s rescue package. Approximately 80 organizations within his diocese received loans worth $10.3 million, the diocese said, with most of the money going to parishes and schools.

Persico pointed out that church entities help feed, clothe and shelter the poor -- and in doing so keep people employed.

“I know some people may react with surprise that government funding helped support faith-based schools, parishes and dioceses,” he said. “The separation of church and state does not mean that those motivated by their faith have no place in the public square.”

Yep, a feeding frenzy of free money.  And the Church is almost always first in line.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/07/14/coronavirus-travel-advisory-new-york-airports-health-form/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Gov. Phil Murphy are tightening the restrictions on travel into our area, adding four new states to the hot spot quarantine list.

The four states added to the advisory list are Minnesota, New Mexico, Ohio, and Wisconsin, bringing the total to 22. Delaware has been taken off the list.

Travelers from any of the identified states to New York or New Jersey must quarantine for 14 days.

Craig Davis landed at LaGuardia from Georgia, one of the spiking states, and told Duddridge about the process.

“Just basic questions, like what state are you coming from? Have you been around anybody who has had any symptoms of the virus,” said Davis, who came in from Atlanta. “I’m not sure what to think yet, because I haven’t studied it, but if it’s to keep the virus down, I’ll give it a thumb’s up.”

Passengers either get the form before boarding or in the air, and also can fill it out electronically. It asks for contact information, where the traveler plans to stay, and if you are traveling from a state designated as having a significant amount of community spread. If so, it advises that you must quarantine for two weeks.

Duddridge couldn’t find anyone at LaGuardia who objected.

“Because there are definitely spikes in other states, so I think it’s necessary,” one traveler said.

The new measures apply to anyone who arrives by air, car, bus, or train, but doesn’t apply to essential workers or someone just passing through a state within a 24-hour period.

“I’m only here for a day, so it doesn’t affect me, really. I’m kind of happy about that. But I think that’s a good idea for them to put that in place. Just because I know a lot of people are using this downtime to go to other states, get vacations out of it,” said Najoua Alioualla, who arrived from Chicago.

Driving your own car into the state is obviously more difficult to enforce, but even at the airport, a more controlled environment, one passenger told Duddridge she slipped through the cracks.

“Nobody’s even stopping people. I just seen the sign, so I stopped,” said Atalia Grice, who flew in from Washington.

If you don’t fill out a form, you could face a fine of up to $2,000. What’s more, if you violate a quarantine order, you could face a $10,000 penalty, the state said.

The mandate was announced Monday as part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo‘s plan to help contain the rate of coronavirus spread.

“None of this is pleasant, but we’ve gone through this before. We went through this, watched 3 million Europeans, people from Europe, come into this state, and bringing the virus. Fool me once. We can’t be in a situation where we have people coming from other states in the country, bringing the virus,” Cuomo said.

Gov. Phil Murphy on Tuesday said it’s possible New Jersey could implement similar measures.

“We’ll do it our own way, but we’re deadly serious about this. This is a travel advisory,” Murphy said. “We knew when we opened our state up we’d take on more risk of transmission of the virus. But there’s an added element from folks who are coming in from out of state, from hotspots.”

What passengers landing in New York said they aren’t sure about is if the state will be following up with them to make sure they’re staying at home.

“I’m kind of confused, too, because I mean also it seems like paperwork gets lost super easy, so who knows? I’ll be quarantining. I don’t think they said anything up there, but I know that should be what everyone’s doing,” Andrea Baxter said.

“You gotta put your address. You got to be there for 14 days. I’m guessing they’re going to give you a visit within those 14 days you’re supposed to be quarantining?” said traveler Michael Carter, who is quarantining in New York City.

Duddridge asked the Gov. Cuomo’s Office, which responded by saying all cases where a quarantine is necessary are being referred to the local health department for compliance and follow up.

So, yes, expect to be contacted.

One of the comments:

Not too long ago I believe I remember the Gov of NY crying and whining because Rhode Island was requiring NY citizens to quarantine. He even threatened to sue to stop the practice. Talk about the height of arrogance and hypocrisy.

Does anyone else see (IMHO) the orchestrated moves being made here?  I still think sometime around the Dem Convention in August, Cuomo will be the Dem candidate in place of Biden......(IMHO)

It's interesting these  same people don't think there should be any restrictions on an illegal immigrant and they can't (or won't) find a way to track them, but if you (a US citizen) fly into the State they will  find you and if they can't, your getting fined.....

And with New York being such a mess, and sharing a border with Canada, I bet this means they are going to extend the border closure again. The current extension expires July 20, and I’m supposed to take a trip there the 24th. I’ve rescheduled twice already. If there’s another extension, that will push any reopening date into football season ... and my vacation is toast. 🤬🤯😓

18 hours ago, Bobref said:

And with New York being such a mess, and sharing a border with Canada, I bet this means they are going to extend the border closure again. The current extension expires July 20, and I’m supposed to take a trip there the 24th. I’ve rescheduled twice already. If there’s another extension, that will push any reopening date into football season ... and my vacation is toast. 🤬🤯😓

Yep - Just came out this morning......August 21.......

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/its-disheartening-wnyers-with-homes-in-canada-react-to-border-closure-extension

On 7/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, Muda69 said:

He was my history, social studies, and government teacher for grades K-12.  Small government school.

Again, how much more in property taxes are you willing to pony up to maintain current government spending levels?

I agree with you philosophically. However, this was not — as is usually the case — a situation of short-sighted planning. This was truly unforeseeable, and the shortfall represents money that has, in essence, already been spent.  My only real concern is a practical concern: once you give the government something, it can be awfully hard to get it back when the crisis is over.

• Thanks 1

Walmart, Sam's Club will require shoppers to wear face masks in stores starting Monday

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/health/2020/07/15/walmart-requiring-masks-all-stores/5442590002/

Starting Monday, shoppers will need to wear face coverings in all Walmart and Sam's Club stores.

The company announced its new policy — which applies to Walmart and Sam's Club stores — as positive coronavirus cases are on the rise across the nation, including in Indiana.

"We know some people have differing opinions on this topic. We also recognize the role we can play to help protect the health and well-being of the communities we serve by following the evolving guidance of health officials like the CDC," the chief operating officers for the stores said in an online post Wednesday.

The new requirement will help bring consistency to stores and clubs, according to the post. About 65% of stores are located where there are already face covering mandates.

The company also hopes it will aid the safety of shoppers and employees.

To enforce the new rule, Walmart has created a new role — "Health Ambassador." These employees will be stationed near store entrances to work with customers who arrive at a store without a face covering.

The company says it is still "considering different solutions for customers."

Sam's Club stores will follow a similar format with associates reminding customers of the new requirement and providing complimentary face coverings when needed.

Indianapolis implemented a mandatory public mask policy last Thursday. A lot of business owners and their staff are not complying. I went to Kroger yesterday and there was a Marion County Sheriff's Deputy and a Beech Grove Police officer in uniform and neither one were wearing a mask.

The Wal Mart in Beech Grove is a massive Super Center. I expect some fireworks starting next Monday.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

49 minutes ago, Howe said:

Indianapolis implemented a mandatory public mask policy last Thursday. A lot of business owners and their staff are not complying. I went to Kroger yesterday and there was a Marion County Sheriff's Deputy and a Beech Grove Police officer in uniform and neither one were wearing a mask.

The Wal Mart in Beech Grove is a massive Super Center. I expect some fireworks starting next Monday.

Is the video supposed to be the type of fireworks you are referring to? Just curious because the video is from 2015. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Is the video supposed to be the type of fireworks you are referring to? Just curious because the video is from 2015. 

Correct. I'm confident a Wal Mart "Health Ambassador" will inform an incoming customer of the mask requirement and the result will be similar to the video.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1