Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Respect/Animosity

Clearly being from Linton...   I have to crack a smile when the Arrows from Sullivan lose.  But in saying that, I've found that I pull for them to win when it comes to post-season.  In my younger years I most

certainly took great pleasure in a Sullivan loss--   And I personally know a couple of the coaches etc... so it's not as personal as it used to me!

Respect-- in my realm--  I gotta go with Perry Central.  Always a hard nosed team and great coaching staff... and some of the best fans I ever encountered.   Southridge and West Washington come to mind as well.  

When we'd cover the Linton- Union (Dugger) games in the 2000's, I really had a lot of respect for those Bulldog players.  Sometimes there would be just 2 kids in uniform on the sidelines as reserves.  I can remember a

lineman getting hurt and the best runner they had, changed jerseys and moved to tackle.  A lot of heart in those kids..and some years they had a really good team.  They just couldn't stay at that level for 48 minutes.

7 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Clearly being from Linton...   I have to crack a smile when the Arrows from Sullivan lose.  But in saying that, I've found that I pull for them to win when it comes to post-season.  In my younger years I most

certainly took great pleasure in a Sullivan loss--   And I personally know a couple of the coaches etc... so it's not as personal as it used to me!

Respect-- in my realm--  I gotta go with Perry Central.  Always a hard nosed team and great coaching staff... and some of the best fans I ever encountered.   Southridge and West Washington come to mind as well.  

When we'd cover the Linton- Union (Dugger) games in the 2000's, I really had a lot of respect for those Bulldog players.  Sometimes there would be just 2 kids in uniform on the sidelines as reserves.  I can remember a

lineman getting hurt and the best runner they had, changed jerseys and moved to tackle.  A lot of heart in those kids..and some years they had a really good team.  They just couldn't stay at that level for 48 minutes.

Poster child program for the Contraction option.  Should have happened a long time ago.  

22 minutes ago, DT said:

The Warren Central people might disagree with you on that

Perhaps, with most coaches it depends on who you talk to.  My guess is the Warren admin during that time period might get lower marks on a community survey...but that is just a guess.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DT said:

Poster child program for the Contraction option.  Should have happened a long time ago.  

DT would make a great coach! 

He runs a screen and gets the defense to relax a bit.

He comes back with the end around. 

Then wait......it looks like a jet sweep....but at the last minute, the ole CONTRACTION trap play right up the gut. Gotcha!

Except in his scenario as soon as it didn't work 1 or 2 times in a row, he would "contract" that play out of the playbook.

No DT, Dugger shouldn't have. It is a school by school decision and there are thousands of young men raised in Indiana who are grateful that they had the opportunity to play this game regardless of wins or losses or final scores. Why? Because they had the opportunity to learn life skills that are still helping them today, teamwork, overcoming obstacles, friendship, camaraderie, etc.

I know because my son is one of those kids. He is now a Seaman 2nd class on a submarine somewhere in the Pacific defending this great country. The last time he spoke to me, he related a story of being in a tough situation on the boat and hearing his coaches voice about "never quitting on a play". A 1A coach who said "if a kid is willing to show up and work hard we'll find a place for him to play". Football literally changed my son's life and his future. He never started, usually never got in except for mop up duty, was injured and never played a down his senior year, still showed up for every game, and belonged to something bigger than himself. 

I have been a read only guest for the past two years on this site. So I know you will offer your usual list of "reasons" why contraction is the end all, be all. But now I am a registered user and as soon as they tell me how to be a sponsor I will respond with a check. 

I appreciate you passing the baton, we'll take it from here.

Nothing personal, just want to see football alive and well in Indiana, not contracting.

Coaches coach, players play, fans cheer!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

DT would make a great coach! 

He runs a screen and gets the defense to relax a bit.

He comes back with the end around. 

Then wait......it looks like a jet sweep....but at the last minute, the ole CONTRACTION trap play right up the gut. Gotcha!

Except in his scenario as soon as it didn't work 1 or 2 times in a row, he would "contract" that play out of the playbook.

No DT, Dugger shouldn't have. It is a school by school decision and there are thousands of young men raised in Indiana who are grateful that they had the opportunity to play this game regardless of wins or losses or final scores. Why? Because they had the opportunity to learn life skills that are still helping them today, teamwork, overcoming obstacles, friendship, camaraderie, etc.

I know because my son is one of those kids. He is now a Seaman 2nd class on a submarine somewhere in the Pacific defending this great country. The last time he spoke to me, he related a story of being in a tough situation on the boat and hearing his coaches voice about "never quitting on a play". A 1A coach who said "if a kid is willing to show up and work hard we'll find a place for him to play". Football literally changed my son's life and his future. He never started, usually never got in except for mop up duty, was injured and never played a down his senior year, still showed up for every game, and belonged to something bigger than himself. 

I have been a read only guest for the past two years on this site. So I know you will offer your usual list of "reasons" why contraction is the end all, be all. But now I am a registered user and as soon as they tell me how to be a sponsor I will respond with a check. 

I appreciate you passing the baton, we'll take it from here.

Nothing personal, just want to see football alive and well in Indiana, not contracting.

Coaches coach, players play, fans cheer!

Great post.  Appreciate your thoughts and candor on the contraction issue.  We are on opposite sides of the fence on this one.

Looking forward to more of your contributions to the forum.

59 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Let's move on from DT and contraction talk.  Let's all unite around one common theme.  Hating Plymouth.  jk

Love it. My senior year in high school, some buddies and I screen printed some t-shirts during study hall that said "I DON'T LIKE PLYMOUTH" on the front and a huge P with the no sign (circle with slash) running through it. We wore them to the boys basketball game at Plymouth that night... only to watch our Tigers get trounced by 28 points. Granted, the Pilgrims won state that year.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Love it. My senior year in high school, some buddies and I screen printed some t-shirts during study hall that said "I DON'T LIKE PLYMOUTH" on the front and a huge P with the no sign (circle with slash) running through it. We wore them to the boys basketball game at Plymouth that night... only to watch our Tigers get trounced by 28 points. Granted, the Pilgrims won state that year.

As much as I hate them, I love Jack Edison.

Which of the following best describes your ambivalence towards Plymouth?

1. Your jealousy of their long history of athletic success.

2. Their over the top arrogance.

3. The built in advantages that their physical location provides.

Just curious.

27 minutes ago, DT said:

Just curious.

I had no idea people disliked phs until this thread. 

2 hours ago, DT said:

Just curious.

#1 and #3 are legitimate reasons for being successful throughout the years. It's #2 that makes me highly dislike seeing their success and enjoying when the Rockies/Pilgrims lose. Mostly because it doesn't happen nearly as much as their wins. As someone else mentioned earlier, hearing that "1ssssstttttttt downnnnnn, Rocccccccckkkkkkiiiieeeeessssss" over the PA does help the fact.

In all honesty, I recognize that my ambivalence toward them is full entrenched in the "they hate us cause they aint us" type feeling. Similar to my disdain of the New England Patriots 😂

22 hours ago, CoachVeatch said:

I have a little bit of animosity for coaches that don't shake hands after the game.....I'll just leave it at that. 

What are your thoughts about exchanging pleasantries before the game?  I think it shows collegiality and ask only because in the tournament this year, an opposing coach advised our coach he would not do so..  I'm not sure what I find more odd, not exchanging pleasantries with a fellows coach, or communicating that you won't several days before. 

On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, DT said:

Respect Avon - they play with an attitude and a huge chip on their shoulder

Despise Brownsburg - dont care for their egotistical HC

I sat behind the Brownsburg head coach during one of the games at Lucas Oil.  The guy was the epitome of class to all around. 

F

20 hours ago, Irishman said:

716.jpg

Animosity (not really):

When I was at Paul Harding, it was Luers (wait a minute!) and New Haven or Heritage.  

When I was younger it was Dwenger, but now maybe Homestead.  Anyone with Dwenger's coaching staff should win state a lot.  

At Woodlan, Leo.

Now, I have to get my bearings on this new part of the state.  

27 minutes ago, tango said:

What are your thoughts about exchanging pleasantries before the game?  I think it shows collegiality and ask only because in the tournament this year, an opposing coach advised our coach he would not do so..  I'm not sure what I find more odd, not exchanging pleasantries with a fellows coach, or communicating that you won't several days before. 

That is very odd, although not surprising. I don't think you're ever "too good" not to treat someone with respect. It's not a sign of weakness to be kind.....also aren't we as coaches supposed to live out the values we teach our kids? Respect the opponent, the game, and yourself.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

That is very odd, although not surprising. I don't think you're ever "too good" not to treat someone with respect. It's not a sign of weakness to be kind.....also aren't we as coaches supposed to live out the values we teach our kids? Respect the opponent, the game, and yourself.

It. Is. Just. A. Game. 

In conference, I find myself rooting more for Danville and Tri-West in the postseason.  Both teams have solid programs and typically finish well in conference.  Out of conference, I respect Tipton based on the tough challenge they presented to Webo in sectionals the last two years.

Growing up as a Star and having kids who went to Webo, I love to see Lebanon loose in every sport possible, every single sport.  The 4A football sectional always puts a smile on my face.  Beyond generational rivalry, I don't have a ton of respect for a school who's biggest sports rival is almost half their enrollment.    With that, I will say the animosity appears to have settled down a bit in the last 1-2 years.  The two schools came together during basketball sectionals in 2017 to mourn the loss of a Webo student who passed unexpectedly. 

Also not a fan of private schools (attitudes and competitive advantage).  Brebeuf wearing straw hats and overalls to a Webo home volleyball game a few years ago definitely contributes to my dislike.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BigTimeDB said:

In conference, I find myself rooting more for Danville and Tri-West in the postseason.  Both teams have solid programs and typically finish well in conference.  Out of conference, I respect Tipton based on the tough challenge they presented to Webo in sectionals the last two years.

Growing up as a Star and having kids who went to Webo, I love to see Lebanon loose in every sport possible, every single sport.  The 4A football sectional always puts a smile on my face.  Beyond generational rivalry, I don't have a ton of respect for a school who's biggest sports rival is almost half their enrollment.    With that, I will say the animosity appears to have settled down a bit in the last 1-2 years.  The two schools came together during basketball sectionals in 2017 to mourn the loss of a Webo student who passed unexpectedly. 

Also not a fan of private schools (attitudes and competitive advantage).  Brebeuf wearing straw hats and overalls to a Webo home volleyball game a few years ago definitely contributes to my dislike.  

6 thumbs up on last paragraph!

• Haha 1