Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

45 minutes ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

No way Pioneer is ranked #2.  They will be solid but nothing like they were the past.  It takes more than 2 guys.

Andrean

Mater Dei

Eastbrook

Luers

Rensselaer

Tipton

Pioneer

Linton

Eastern

Bremen

11 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Andrean

Mater Dei

Eastbrook

Luers

Rensselaer

Tipton

Pioneer

Linton

Eastern

Bremen

What does Mater Dei have coming back? I was thinking the would have a new QB and both the RBs graduated? Not that it makes much difference they always have good kids waiting to play.

18 hours ago, captainobvious said:

You must’ve missed the fact that they will be rebuilding this year.  Unless they have another QB like #7, they won’t be near the threat they have been.

Wright was really good.  That said, I think Western Boone would've won 2A without him last year (given an even somewhat competent replacement).  Their line was that dominant against most all the 2A competition they played, including the championship game.  They were able to just run it down people's throats last year.  I think replacing three of those linemen will be even a bigger problem than replacing Wright.  I don't see them bullying teams at the line of scrimmage as much this year. 

If they are somehow able to capably replace Foster, Johnson, and the 3rd kid whose name escapes me right now, then they could well make another deep run into the state tournament even with a lesser QB.  I just don't see that happening.  Those type of linemen don't come along every year at public 2A programs.  

Edited by XStar

39 minutes ago, XStar said:

Wright was really good.  That said, I think Western Boone would've won 2A without him last year (given an even somewhat competent replacement).  Their line was that dominant against most all the 2A competition they played, including the championship game.  They were able to just run it down people's throats last year.  I think replacing three of those linemen will be even a bigger problem than replacing Wright.  I don't see them bullying teams at the line of scrimmage as much this year. 

If they are somehow able to capably replace Foster, Johnson, and the 3rd kid whose name escapes me right now, then they could well make another deep run into the state tournament even with a lesser QB.  I just don't see that happening.  Those type of linemen don't come along every year at public 2A programs.  

I agree with you about their line.  QB made that team who they were.  Without that dual threat, they just won’t be as dominant as they have been.  Eastbrook will be a better team this season than they were last year.  I just think the Panthers should not be over looked.  Time will tell.  As far as Tipton goes, the Panthers were 4 TD’s better than them last year and I don’t see that changing this season.

Sectional 34 is interesting.  Cass won it last year, but doesn't bring back as much this year.  LaVille was their Sectional Final opponent, but not hearing much about how good they will be this year.  Rochester still figuring out how to get past the first round from what I can tell.  Pioneer with two really good athletes, but some say they have an unproven line.  Bremen looks to be improved after playing youngsters last year.  Delphi, Manchester, and Wabash getting no love at all, and I do not know much about any of the three.  This could be an interesting Sectional.  The draw could be a heavy influence here.

2 hours ago, captainobvious said:

I agree with you about their line.  QB made that team who they were.  Without that dual threat, they just won’t be as dominant as they have been.  Eastbrook will be a better team this season than they were last year.  I just think the Panthers should not be over looked.  Time will tell.  As far as Tipton goes, the Panthers were 4 TD’s better than them last year and I don’t see that changing this season.

Let’s not forget it was 7-7 at half and 14-7 after 3. Blocked punt and meaningless pick 6 in the 4th is what made the score what it was. It was a good ball game. Tipton was also playing without their QB and had to move their best WR to QB. Tipton was one dimensional in that game. They now return their whole team and if QB Edwards stays healthy, should be a great year. I have a ton of respect for Eastbrook’s program and Coach Adamson. He is one of the best around. I know they lost a lot of really good players but still expect them to be a really good team again. Should be a fun Sectional. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

Let’s not forget it was 7-7 at half and 14-7 after 3. Blocked punt and meaningless pick 6 in the 4th is what made the score what it was. It was a good ball game. Tipton was also playing without their QB and had to move their best WR to QB. Tipton was one dimensional in that game. They now return their whole team and if QB Edwards stays healthy, should be a great year. I have a ton of respect for Eastbrook’s program and Coach Adamson. He is one of the best around. I know they lost a lot of really good players but still expect them to be a really good team again. Should be a fun Sectional. 

Excuses, excuses!  You Tipton guys sing the same song every year on here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, captainobvious said:

Nobody overlooks Eastbrook in 2A.  They've been to the state championship game in 3 of the past 4 years and should've won it the year (2017) they didn't make it there.  

I don't know what Eastbrook has in the pipeline beyond the couple of standout sophomores they had last season.  To a certain extent, it's a plug-and-play type of program but after losing a tremendous class in 2019 and then another very good class in 2020, I'll be surprised if they were to make it back to state this season.  I think replacing Stephenson is big on both sides of the ball.  Kid was tough as nails.  Rice is literally a huge loss and personally I expect to see a drop-off at the quarterback position although I must confess I don't know much about the recruit from Western.  

8 hours ago, Cappy said:

What does Mater Dei have coming back? I was thinking the would have a new QB and both the RBs graduated? Not that it makes much difference they always have good kids waiting to play.

Mater Dei lost their starting QB and both RBs. It was a weird year offensively as MD had 3 times the number of rush attempts and 2x as many rushing yards as passing. I can’t think of another time in the Coach Goebel era where that was the case. 

From what I have seen at the lower levels, I expect them to have plenty of skill players and get back to slinging it around.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, XStar said:

Nobody overlooks Eastbrook in 2A.  They've been to the state championship game in 3 of the past 4 years and should've won it the year (2017) they didn't make it there.  

I don't know what Eastbrook has in the pipeline beyond the couple of standout sophomores they had last season.  To a certain extent, it's a plug-and-play type of program but after losing a tremendous class in 2019 and then another very good class in 2020, I'll be surprised if they were to make it back to state this season.  I think replacing Stephenson is big on both sides of the ball.  Kid was tough as nails.  Rice is literally a huge loss and personally I expect to see a drop-off at the quarterback position although I must confess I don't know much about the recruit from Western.  

For you to think that losing Rice is a bad thing, shows just how little you know about Eastbrook!  As far as over looking Eastbrook, I mean at the beginning of every season it’s the same old thing and then they wind up going to the state championship.

9 hours ago, captainobvious said:

For you to think that losing Rice is a bad thing, shows just how little you know about Eastbrook!  As far as over looking Eastbrook, I mean at the beginning of every season it’s the same old thing and then they wind up going to the state championship.

Well I do know he was all-state last season and 6'4" and 300 lbs doesn't grown on trees.  If Eastbrook can upgrade there, good for them.  I'm guessing its unlikely.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, XStar said:

Well I do know he was all-state last season and 6'4" and 300 lbs doesn't grown on trees.  If Eastbrook can upgrade there, good for them.  I'm guessing its unlikely.  

He was all state because he is 6’4” and 300 lbs. Being big doesn’t automatically translate into being a great lineman.

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, captainobvious said:

He was all state because he is 6’4” and 300 lbs. Being big doesn’t automatically translate into being a great lineman.

Being all-state generally translates into being a decent lineman though.  I assure you there are 6+-foot, 300 lb. kids that did not make all-state last season, let alone start on a state finalist team.  I don't know if you expected this kid to be a 5-star recruit or something but to imply that he wasn't an above-average starter who will be tough to replace is being intellectually dishonest I think.  Either way, I'm surprised you're trashing a kid like this and belittling his accolades.  If you had a player that is an upgrade to this kid that wasn't already playing elsewhere last season then the coaching staff needs to consider what they're doing.  A little better coaching and maybe a red ring or two turn to blue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XStar said:

Being all-state generally translates into being a decent lineman though.  I assure you there are 6+-foot, 300 lb. kids that did not make all-state last season, let alone start on a state finalist team.  I don't know if you expected this kid to be a 5-star recruit or something but to imply that he wasn't an above-average starter who will be tough to replace is being intellectually dishonest I think.  Either way, I'm surprised you're trashing a kid like this and belittling his accolades.  If you had a player that is an upgrade to this kid that wasn't already playing elsewhere last season then the coaching staff needs to consider what they're doing.  A little better coaching and maybe a red ring or two turn to blue?

Not meaning to belittle anyone.  I just think the Panthers will miss a player or two, but not the one you mentioned.  

@Coach Nowlin Oh how refreshing it is to talk about football again! For Boone Grove, I would have said that they would be a contender this year if not for the fact that the up and coming QB we had is now playing for our rival Wheeler (which is a team that will be very good here in a few years), which puts us in a bit of a rebuilding spot. The upcoming senior class is strong, but not as strong as last years senior class.

It's nice to be mentioned here in some top ten picks! From a pure statistical standpoint - we lose our QB/FS (122.3 rating, 751 yards passing, 702 yards rushing, 8.3 yard avg - 104 tackles, 4 sacks (as a safety!), 7 interceptions), our RB (9.3 yard avg, 2470 all purpose yards, 32 TDs), our FB/MLB (537 all purpose yards, 7.0 yard avg - 183 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 interceptions), our solid DL (56 tackles, 14 sacks, 4 caused fumbles), and a total of 15 seniors.

The up and coming senior class is strong, but they have some super sized shoes to fill in our conference. We return our kicker and some very solid skill players in this class, as well as a few lineman. We will need to fill some gaps with some underclassman.

Edited by Graphic Context
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Graphic Context said:

@Coach Nowlin Oh how refreshing it is to talk about football again! For Boone Grove, I would have said that they would be a contender this year if not for the fact that the up and coming QB we had is now playing for our rival Wheeler (which is a team that will be very good here in a few years), which puts us in a bit of a rebuilding spot. The upcoming senior class is strong, but not as strong as last years senior class.

It's nice to be mentioned here in some top ten picks! From a pure statistical standpoint - we lose our QB/FS (122.3 rating, 751 yards passing, 702 yards rushing, 8.3 yard avg - 104 tackles, 4 sacks (as a safety!), 7 interceptions), our RB (9.3 yard avg, 2470 all purpose yards, 32 TDs), our FB/MLB (537 all purpose yards, 7.0 yard avg - 183 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 interceptions), our solid DL (56 tackles, 14 sacks, 4 caused fumbles), and a total of 15 seniors.

The up and coming senior class is strong, but they have some super sized shoes to fill in our conference. We return our kicker and some very solid skill players in this class, as well as a few lineman. We will need to fill some gaps with some underclassman.

The Morris boy? I saw some highlights of him. He's got an ARM. 

14 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

The Morris boy? I saw some highlights of him. He's got an ARM. 

Yes, we put our starting QB at receiver and had him come out as QB in the fourth quarter against Andrean, and he did very well. It was a shame as I think that there could have been a different outcome with an air-it-out offense against Andrean as we had the speed advantage, but lacked the size. He marched down the field quite well and was unfortunately stopped in the red zone. He will be missed at BG.

• 1 month later...