Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bad news from the East

No, not Ft. Wayne, Richmond, or Brockville, but rather Cambridge, Hanover, and New Haven: the Ivy League will not be playing fall sports this academic year.  This will have some kind of trickle down effect.  To what degree, I don’t know.

5 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

This is not good to say the least.

It’s not.  The last thing I want to do is be all doom and gloom, but when you hear stuff like this, soccer matches (Chicago Fire vs. Nashville) being cancelled, and many players in various sports coming down with the virus, you have to wonder what’s next.

I've said this in other posts, I really doubt this season will happen. I can see two things happening; 

- They start season and school, after a few weeks, plug is pulled due to overall management issues of the situation.

- They cancel fall season, and try to start in late Feb/early March with a condensed season.

I doubt a full season as we have seen in past will happen. Schools are evaluating student options as we speak, highly likely school year will be modified and that  will affect sports schedule. 

18 minutes ago, Gipper said:

It’s not.  The last thing I want to do is be all doom and gloom, but when you hear stuff like this, soccer matches (Chicago Fire vs. Nashville) being cancelled, and many players in various sports coming down with the virus, you have to wonder what’s next.

At this point I don't wonder, I fear.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I've said this in other posts, I really doubt this season will happen. I can see two things happening; 

- They start season and school, after a few weeks, plug is pulled due to overall management issues of the situation.

- They cancel fall season, and try to start in late Feb/early March with a condensed season.

I doubt a full season as we have seen in past will happen. Schools are evaluating student options as we speak, highly likely school year will be modified and that  will affect sports schedule. 

Time for a positive spin: Arena Football, the 50 yard indoor war...

2 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Harvard already announced they are doing online classes for 2020-21.  This was expected.

And still charging close to 50K. What a joke. 

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

They fully recover in days, like 99.9% of the population. 

19 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

And still charging close to 50K. What a joke. 

They fully recover in days, like 99.9% of the population. 

Youd be changing your tune if your wife or one of your kids got it. 

Do you know anyone thats got it or died from it? 

Whether I believe that Covid-19 is as serious as the media portrays or isn’t , I do think it will have a significant impact on this season and if I was a betting man, I honestly don’t think this season will be finished once the second wave hits. A lot of people are talking about schools shutting down in October and I just feel like many schools do not have a great plan that is safe, efficient, and is PR friendly in order for a full football season to be played. I’d love to be wrong but am seriously starting to have doubts and the ivy league just adds another obstacle. Just my opinion though.

I think what the IVY league does has zero effect on anything Indiana HS football will do.  It's mind boggling to me that factories in this state with 7,000 plus employees can pull this off with every age range from 18-65 in the building but we don't think we can manage the least effected demographic in much much smaller populations.  What is driving fear right now is  "case" counts (the media is doing a fabulous job).  80% of "cases" are asymptomatic and it still isn't known if that group even sheds the virus.  Testing continues to ramp up which continues to drive up cases and folks still find a way to get worked up about percentage positives when the folks getting tested are ones who think they have it or think they have been exposed.  You can't extrapolate "percentage positives" across the general population.  School should go in Indiana and so should fall sports.  That said, can all 50 states keep their cool and manage the inevitable event of when "cases" pop up in the building without quarantining every child who was within 20 feet of the known positives?  I seriously doubt it.  Fear usually wins over logic in the world we live in today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I think what the IVY league does has zero effect on anything Indiana HS football will do.  It's mind boggling to me that factories in this state with 7,000 plus employees can pull this off with every age range from 18-65 in the building but we don't think we can manage the least effected demographic in much much smaller populations.  What is driving fear right now is  "case" counts (the media is doing a fabulous job).  80% of "cases" are asymptomatic and it still isn't known if that group even sheds the virus.  Testing continues to ramp up which continues to drive up cases and folks still find a way to get worked up about percentage positives when the folks getting tested are ones who think they have it or think they have been exposed.  You can't extrapolate "percentage positives" across the general population.  School should go in Indiana and so should fall sports.  That said, can all 50 states keep their cool and manage the inevitable event of when "cases" pop up in the building without quarantining every child who was within 20 feet of the known positives?  I seriously doubt it.  Fear usually wins over logic in the world we live in today.

Without hearsay, are the factories and other places doing it with social distancing, temperature checks, and keeping people out who are/were exposed?  Or is it just show up and do your job?  I am a teacher and the virus and the illness did hit the community I teach in.  I can't tell you how many students had it, but I do know that homework was turned in late because of it and I do know that whole families had it.  It was worse on the parents and grandparents, but the kids did suffer terribly, too.  

With colleges it is a money issue, not the fear of COVID 19.  If nobody attends the fall sports season, then they have no money for the spring and winter.  Stanford cancelled 11 sports programs because they know the football season will not make the money to fund the other sports.   Like I said before, most of colleges get their student athletes from around the county where COVID 19 is at a high risk than others not like high school where they are from a small area in a state’s county.

Admittedly, there is a lot of fear-mongering by the liberal media which played right into the hands of the uber-liberal policies of the Ivy League schools.  Then again, the Ivies are known for being smarter than most of us and have 4 medical schools there (Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, and Brown) probably submitted their research on the matter.  Therefore, they know what's going on and this decision was not an overnight one.   Social distancing, temperature checks, the dreaded mask (on the insistence of my daughter) are good ways to combat this, but more needs to be done.  As for the virus, one of my good friends came down with it and was hospitalized for days.  Thankfully, he's much better now, as is my father who also contracted it.  But recently, my nephew was recently taken to the ER with symptoms and I continue to pray for him.  I also pray a vaccine is developed.

4 minutes ago, Julio said:

With colleges it is a money issue, not the fear of COVID 19.  If nobody attends the fall sports season, then they have no money for the spring and winter.  Stanford cancelled 11 sports programs because they know the football season will not make the money to fund the other sports.   Like I said before, most of colleges get their student athletes from around the county where COVID 19 is at a high risk than others not like high school where they are from a small area in a state’s county.

I saw that and am in full agreement.  I also heard if there's not a football season this fall, the IHSAA could go bankrupt.

Say what you may, but @Muda69 has been pretty spot on with some things he’s addressed. Mostly in the OOB.  Teachers unions. I saw the head of the NEA is now pandering on CNN. 

Being a coach I see things different as opposed to a politician. We as coaches are always held accountable  (fairly or unfairly) for what happens inside our programs both on and off the field. The decisions we make (both controllable and uncontrollable) based on 40 second increments often determine if we remain employed or not. You always see a coach or general manager who loses too many games, or makes the wrong draft picks are fired. The community, the media, etc.... all vilify the guy, and portray him as somebody nobody should ever hire again. The coach or GM just lost games, and rarely do their decisions result in death. Yet we have allowed politicians on the state and national levels, to make careless decisions that in the end have cost thousands of lives and  prolonged suffering. Yet they are never held accountable. If some of those very same politicians were coaches and made the decisions that wrecked the season, they would have been fired. Somehow I think if we had accountable leaders in charge by the name of Nick, Dabo and  or Bill........the pandemic would be behind us by now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cw13 said:

Being a coach I see things different as opposed to a politician. We as coaches are always held accountable  (fairly or unfairly) for what happens inside our programs both on and off the field. The decisions we make (both controllable and uncontrollable) based on 40 second increments often determine if we remain employed or not. You always see a coach or general manager who loses too many games, or makes the wrong draft picks are fired. The community, the media, etc.... all vilify the guy, and portray him as somebody nobody should ever hire again. The coach or GM just lost games, and rarely do their decisions result in death. Yet we have allowed politicians on the state and national levels, to make careless decisions that in the end have cost thousands of lives and  prolonged suffering. Yet they are never held accountable. If some of those very same politicians were coaches and made the decisions that wrecked the season, they would have been fired. Somehow I think if we had accountable leaders in charge by the name of Nick, Dabo and  or Bill........the pandemic would be behind us by now.

Well said, and the coach always does seem to get the short end of the stick--stay strong!!!  That being said, I just learned  Ohio State is "pausing their voluntary workouts".

No bueno.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Well said, and the coach always does seem to get the short end of the stick--stay strong!!!  That being said, I just learned  Ohio State is "pausing their voluntary workouts".

No bueno.

Can the virus be shared through tattoo needles?  

(Asking for a friend...)

31 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Can the virus be shared through tattoo needles?  

(Asking for a friend...)

It’s not blood-borne, like HIV or Hep B. But the tattooing environment is one that appears conducive to transmission. Pretty hard to social distance in that setting.

10 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It’s not blood-borne, like HIV or Hep B. But the tattooing environment is one that appears conducive to transmission. Pretty hard to social distance in that setting.

Gotcha.  Didn’t know if the OSU players knew how to social distance in that environment.  They’ve had trouble in the past.

Ivy League cancels the season. The Buckeyes “pause” voluntary workouts. Wrigley Field has opted out of hosting the Northwestern - Wisconsin game this November. I fear the football season is going to suffer a slow “death of a thousand cuts.”

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Ivy League cancels the season. The Buckeyes “pause” voluntary workouts. Wrigley Field has opted out of hosting the Northwestern - Wisconsin game this November. I fear the football season is going to suffer a slow “death of a thousand cuts.”

ACC delays until September 1.

As a loyal Cub fan for many years, I don't like football games at Wrigley.  It may have worked when the Bears play there many years ago, but now it's very logistically challenging, if not impossible.  Didn't Illinois and Northwestern encounter difficulties a few years ago?