Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

(3-1) Linton @ (2 - 2) Boonville

Here we are at week 5.  These 2 teams started this series last year with the Miners winning the initial contest, 27 - 13.  Both teams have played one common foe in Southridge.  Ironically, both teams lost by the same 28 - 0 score.  Last week Boonville lost to Gibson Southern while Linton took care of North Vermillion.  Harrell is predicting a 28 - 27 Boonville win.  The teams are close in the Sagarin ratings this week.  This game could come down to whoever protects the ball.  I believe that Boonville running back (Mockobee?) had a monster game last week.  Linton has always liked the challenge of defending against a good running back.  I expect this to be a close, hard fought game.  I'm sure Miner Pride will give us a good write up later in the week.   Go Miners!!!

Edited by itiswhatitis

If Linton wants to win they have to either:

A) run a track meet and simply outscore boonville 

B) have 11 hats on the football when Mockobee is the ball carrier.  The kids contact balance is superb. He has a slippery spin move and a good stiff arm. He has the speed, the power, the agility.....so put 11 hats on the football or be put on a poster for a week after the game as people watch Mockobee have a top 10 play lol

HH and GS had guys in position....it wasn’t enough. You have to have multiple guys there and they have to make a solid tackle.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

B) have 11 hats on the football when Mockobee is the ball carrier.  The kids contact balance is superb. He has a slippery spin move and a good stiff arm. He has the speed, the power, the agility.....so put 11 hats on the football or be put on a poster for a week after the game as people watch Mockobee have a top 10 play lol

HH and GS had guys in position....it wasn’t enough. You have to have multiple guys there and they have to make a solid tackle.  

Linton has 4 different backs who can go for 100+ on any given night.  I believe last week no one went over 100 but I believe everyone had 60 - 80 yards.  So you just can't key on one back.  The passing game is coming around now with Hunter Gennicks at QB.  No 200 yard passing games yet, but enough to keep the defense honest.  So I expect Linton will score and this could very well be a shootout.  Last week Edney from North Vermillion had some nice runs but he only ended up with 90 yards unless I am mistaken.  However, I get that Mockobee is a totally different animal.  One thing about the Miner defense, there always seems to be more than one guy in on a lot of tackles.  Sometimes the announcers have to wait to see who gets off the bottom of the pile to say who got credit for the tackle.  Linton is a young team that still sometimes makes young player mistakes.  My hope is that everyone stays at home and does their job this week.  Every once in a while, someone will over pursue or get out of position and it usually costs the Miners a TD or a big play.  If it turns into a shootout,  sometimes those are really entertaining games.  Good health to both teams.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kingtut said:

The last time I was at Boonville for a football game was 75 years ago in 1945.  That undefeated Miner team beat a strong Boonville team 20 - 6.  Not sure but I think that was the only time Linton played at Boonville.  I was a LHS freshman.

1945???  That's incredible, Tut!  God bless you, brother!

I expect a hard fought game. Just as I said for the Gibson vs Boonville game if Boonville plays a smashmouth run the ball down field game they can make any game interesting. The Southridge game Boonville had 3 or 4 of their Oline starters out and it showed big time. Hopefully both teams will get to play each other full strength. Its Senior Night Friday in Boonville. 

In past years I would not be a bit concerned about boonville’s running game but it seems the last couple games Linton has had trouble defending the run up the middle. Not sure what that’s all about hopefully they turn it around. As for the offense the running game has looked much better the passing game has also been getting better each game, but I’m curious how it will look against a better team like Boonville. 

4 hours ago, Footballfan said:

In past years I would not be a bit concerned about boonville’s running game but it seems the last couple games Linton has had trouble defending the run up the middle. Not sure what that’s all about hopefully they turn it around. As for the offense the running game has looked much better the passing game has also been getting better each game, but I’m curious how it will look against a better team like Boonville. 

I agree that in the past Linton has been very successful in keeping a featured running back under control.  They took special pride in that but this Miner defense may not be up to the task.  They'll certainly be challenged by the coaches this week.  Hopefully, Linton's usual multi-back rushing attack can keep us in the game. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 8:27 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

DumfriesYMCA check this Max Preps Tweet. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Does Boonville have a passing game?  Everyone knows they can run the ball and knows about Mockobee.  Just wondering if they throw any.

Yeah they certainly try to be more balanced of an offense than what the stats make you believe. 

maybe about the same/a bit more than what a typical Southridge team will try to pass the ball...run focused still but have enough pass game to try to keep ya honest. 

18 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I just saw that Mockobee is the second leading rusher in the NATION!  Man the Miner defense had better pack a lunch for this game.  How many D-1 offers is this kid getting?

Hes committed to Navy. According to 24/7 only other offers were Valpo and Hanover

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I just saw that Mockobee is the second leading rusher in the NATION!  Man the Miner defense had better pack a lunch for this game.  How many D-1 offers is this kid getting?

He only had 4 D1 offers before committing to Navy before the season. It's been a crazy recruiting trip for him. He was set to get out to camps this past spring/summer to show case the work he put in during the off-season. Unfortunately Covid19 put a stop to that.  Hes 6'0 weighing a true 195LB his legs are powerful, when his upper body catches up to his lower hes a P5 program back Navy got a steal with this kid.

20200917_183231.jpg

11 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Boonville big in this one...even without #74.

Not so fast my friend (in my best Lee Corso) 

This game is one of the more intriguing match-ups this week I believe. Having scouted both...I think it’s pretty close to a toss-up..from what I’ve seen- I may give the edge to Linton. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jets said:

Not so fast my friend (in my best Lee Corso) 

This game is one of the more intriguing match-ups this week I believe. Having scouted both...I think it’s pretty close to a toss-up..from what I’ve seen- I may give the edge to Linton. 

Having seen film on both and one in person...I respectfully yet passionately disagree.  Although losing #74 is a MAJOR impact on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Titan32

7 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Boonville big in this one...even without #74.

One playermaker of his caliber in HS can carry a team and it's impossible to replicate his qualities in practice. Unless you've played with or against a DI "athlete" (talking about position), you don't understand how much angles change and how you just have to grab on until others can come help clean up the tackle. With that being said, I hope Linton -- a storied "small school" with a proud tradition and fan base -- gives our now PAC brethren all they can handle, but ultimately go PAC.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mockstangboyz said:

He only had 4 D1 offers before committing to Navy before the season. It's been a crazy recruiting trip for him. He was set to get out to camps this past spring/summer to show case the work he put in during the off-season. Unfortunately Covid19 put a stop to that.  Hes 6'0 weighing a true 195LB his legs are powerful, when his upper body catches up to his lower hes a P5 program back Navy got a steal with this kid.

20200917_183231.jpg

Thanks for the info.  He sounds like quite a specimen.  Can hardly wait to see him play for the Midshipmen.  Every so often Navy picks up a stud RB.  The last few years it was the QB.  Hope that Mockobee is the next great RB at Navy.  And I'm glad he chose Navy and Navy accepted him.  You don't get accepted there just from having perfect attendance in high school.  And you have to have a letter of recommendation from either a congressman or a senator.  I can't remember which.  Linton is no stranger to defending good RB's.   They have played against several over the years.  Of course most of them weren't D-1 recruits, but several were still good quality backs.  Speed and power is a deadly combo in a high school running back.  I hope that Eslinger is at full strength for the Miners in this game.  IMO, he's the best LB on the team and is always around the ball.   He has a motor that just doesn't stop.  Good health to both teams.

• Like 1