Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chicago Bears 2020

Guest DT

Is this even within the universe of the possible?

https://247sports.com/Article/Deshaun-Watson-Chicago-Bears-trade-all-in-Houston-Texans-161961178/

Report: Chicago Bears all-in on trading for Deshaun Watson

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 3 hours ago 

Much to the chagrin of quarterback Deshaun Watson, the Houston Texans have no interest in trading their franchise player despite a recent meeting between new coach David Culley and the signal caller during which no progress was made. That being said, several teams are interested in his services and Watson is reportedly "very serious" about sitting out games during the 2021 season if he's not traded.

And there's one team in particular is willing to give up assets in quantity to land him, according to ESPN NFL insider Jeff Darlington.

"There's no more vulnerable team in the NFL that's looking for a quarterback than the Chicago Bears," Darlington said this week on NFL Live. "Houston better be careful here. They've got their guy. They've got their victim when it comes to salvaging this Deshaun Watson situation. It's going to be tough to find a team that's willing to give up as much as the Bears will right now."

Darlington's co-hort, ESPN's Louis Riddick, said "timing is everything" before nodding his head in agreement.

Last month, former Texans quarterback Derek Carr explained why the Bears would be an ideal trade partner for Houston. The Bears already have a solid foundation, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and adding Watson could help them retain one of their top offensive weapons.

On the other side, Chicago has the ability to offer Houston a large package in return — lining up with Darlington's point.

“There’s something that really needs to be fixed, and it’s Deshaun Watson to the Bears,” Carr said via NFL.com. “If Deshaun really wants out, which I think is going to be crazy for them to do that, but if he’s actually going to make a move, Chicago is kind of in a similar place as Indianapolis. A team that has a great defense and has some pieces in place.

"You might even be able to keep Allen Robinson if you can trade for Watson. For me, this makes a ton of sense, even for both sides really. They could be creative here and make something happen. I think the Chicago Bears could offer them something that they might not be able to say no to. We’ll see what happens, but that would be cool.”

Earlier this spring, Watson sent a message to the Texans by wiping his social media of all references to the franchise. Watson simply wrote "athlete" in his social media profiles and attacked links to his marketing agency and "football inquiries" to his Twitter and Instagram followings of nearly 3 million

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

Is this even within the universe of the possible?

https://247sports.com/Article/Deshaun-Watson-Chicago-Bears-trade-all-in-Houston-Texans-161961178/

Report: Chicago Bears all-in on trading for Deshaun Watson

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 3 hours ago 

Much to the chagrin of quarterback Deshaun Watson, the Houston Texans have no interest in trading their franchise player despite a recent meeting between new coach David Culley and the signal caller during which no progress was made. That being said, several teams are interested in his services and Watson is reportedly "very serious" about sitting out games during the 2021 season if he's not traded.

And there's one team in particular is willing to give up assets in quantity to land him, according to ESPN NFL insider Jeff Darlington.

"There's no more vulnerable team in the NFL that's looking for a quarterback than the Chicago Bears," Darlington said this week on NFL Live. "Houston better be careful here. They've got their guy. They've got their victim when it comes to salvaging this Deshaun Watson situation. It's going to be tough to find a team that's willing to give up as much as the Bears will right now."

Darlington's co-hort, ESPN's Louis Riddick, said "timing is everything" before nodding his head in agreement.

Last month, former Texans quarterback Derek Carr explained why the Bears would be an ideal trade partner for Houston. The Bears already have a solid foundation, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and adding Watson could help them retain one of their top offensive weapons.

On the other side, Chicago has the ability to offer Houston a large package in return — lining up with Darlington's point.

“There’s something that really needs to be fixed, and it’s Deshaun Watson to the Bears,” Carr said via NFL.com. “If Deshaun really wants out, which I think is going to be crazy for them to do that, but if he’s actually going to make a move, Chicago is kind of in a similar place as Indianapolis. A team that has a great defense and has some pieces in place.

"You might even be able to keep Allen Robinson if you can trade for Watson. For me, this makes a ton of sense, even for both sides really. They could be creative here and make something happen. I think the Chicago Bears could offer them something that they might not be able to say no to. We’ll see what happens, but that would be cool.”

Earlier this spring, Watson sent a message to the Texans by wiping his social media of all references to the franchise. Watson simply wrote "athlete" in his social media profiles and attacked links to his marketing agency and "football inquiries" to his Twitter and Instagram followings of nearly 3 million

I still dont know how Russell Wilson does it.  I think Id go with the younger and more athletic Watson

This report says the Bears have decided that it’s the end of the Mitchell Trubisky era in Chicago.https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/reach-final-decision-future-mitch-trubisly/

Bears Reach Final Decision About QB Mitch Trubisky: Report

Mitch Trubisky’s days as quarterback of the Chicago Bears appear to be over. In a roundup of free agency notes and rumors released Sunday morning, ESPN’s Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler revealed that Chicago has big plans to address the position this offseason — they just apparently don’t involve Trubisky.

With the Bears set to take a “big swing” at acquiring Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson this offseason according to Fowler, it’s becoming increasingly clear that their plans at quarterback no longer include the former second overall pick out of North Carolina.

“I think I can definitely see myself back here next year,” Trubisky told the media after Chicago’s NFC Wild Card loss in January. “Obviously a lot of that is out of my control but it feels like home and it feels like we have unfinished business. Right now I’m just bummed about this season being over and how the game went so a lot of emotions going on right now but I can see that. We’ll see. There are a lot of things that have to happen and a lot of decisions that have to be made and that’s out of my control but and I can see that.”

Now, it appears Trubisky will be looking for a new team and an opportunity to compete elsewhere.

Graziano & Fowler: Trubisky Is a Goner

While noting Chicago still has its sights set on Wilson, Graziano and Fowler asserted Trubisky is headed out of town, suggesting a possible reunion with former Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, now with the Denver Broncos.

Here’s what we know about the Bears’ tenuous quarterback situation: They are monitoring Russell Wilson developments but have combed the free-agent market for possibilities, too. The plan is to move on from Mitchell Trubisky — we’re told the door is open slightly but a source said the ship has sailed for both parties. The source sounded happy for Trubisky to get out of Chicago after all the heat he took. Now, Trubisky could apply his own heat — perhaps in Denver as competition for Drew Lock. 

Gun-for-hire Ryan Fitzpatrick could make some sense in Chicago as a one-year spark if all other options fail. Andy Dalton, too.

Bears May Be Forced to Pursue Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton Instead

As Graziano and Fowler noted, the Bears may not be able to pry Wilson from the firm grip of Pete Carroll and the Seahawks. If they can’t convince Seattle to part ways with the eight-time Pro Bowler, a veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Andy Dalton — perhaps even Marcus Mariota or Gardner Minshew — will likely be headed to fill Trubisky’s cleats.

Right now for the Bears, it’s do-or-die time, and they seem to be readying themselves to upgrade at the most important position in sports. It’s also apparent that they’ve gotten as much as they can out of Trubisky, who would likely appreciate a fresh start and a new coach to work with. But if Chicago can’t nab an established star such as Wilson or Deshaun Watson or a top-three quarterback in April’s NFL Draft, it will surely be more of the same for the Bears, who have finished 8-8 each of the last two seasons.

For what it’s worth, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk contradicted Graziano and Fowler’s report on Sunday, saying the Bears haven’t yet closed the door on Trubisky, but have more likely decided to move on privately without making the news official — yet.

The only part of this story I remotely believe is the #Bears not telling Mitch he's 100% gone. I'm sure internally they have zero intention to re-sign him, but it's smart not to officially close that door until they have to. https://t.co/PKzY5OeBjH

— Lester A. Wiltfong Jr. (@wiltfongjr) March 14, 2021

• Like 1

Has anyone heard what kind of trade package the Bears could offer the Seahawks for Wilson?

I have heard and read they are very interested, but what do they have to offer, that would not decimate whatever they have left?

4 hours ago, DE said:

Has anyone heard what kind of trade package the Bears could offer the Seahawks for Wilson?

I have heard and read they are very interested, but what do they have to offer, that would not decimate whatever they have left?

If they are to get big Russ, they'd have so sacrifice a major piece of their D--Hicks or Mack.

40 minutes ago, Gipper said:

yes, addition by subtraction, risky move for an aging QB.

You would think they would only entertain that idea if they felt that, after giving up the assets they have to give up, they would still be in a position to compete for a championship with Wilson at QB. But alas, you have to keep in mind that Pace and Nagy need to improve that record right now, or they won’t be around for whatever the Bears are like in 3 years. So, there’s a very real risk that they sacrifice the long term good of the team in order to win 10 games next year.

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You would think they would only entertain that idea if they felt that, after giving up the assets they have to give up, they would still be in a position to compete for a championship with Wilson at QB. But alas, you have to keep in mind that Pace and Nagy need to improve that record right now, or they won’t be around for whatever the Bears are like in 3 years. So, there’s a very real risk that they sacrifice the long term good of the team in order to win 10 games next year.

This is so very interesting. They are going to have to pull off a miracle. Trade the house for Wilson and win in free agency. Or sell your long term future in draft picks for right now. 

Either way, I think the “brain trust” 😂 above pace and Nagy are allowing them to “hang them selves “. 

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

The McCaskeys have never been known fot their forward thinking

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

It's just frustrating as a bears fan, all of these other teams are making moves and we've signed our kicker and punter. And now it sounds like they might sign Andy Dalton. (long, sad sigh)

You mean you wouldn’t be looking forward to the training camp battle between Dalton and Nick Foles? Winner earns the right to start the season standing like a statue behind that Bears offensive line ... for as long as he can take it. 

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You mean you wouldn’t be looking forward to the training camp battle between Dalton and Nick Foles? Winner earns the right to start the season standing like a statue behind that Bears offensive line ... for as long as he can take it. 

Red Rocket or a Super Bowl Winning QB, Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bears sign Andy Dalton after failing to persuade Seahawks to trade Russell Wilson. The sad truth is that Dalton immediately becomes the most accomplished QB to ever don a Bears uniform. 3 Pro Bowls, been to the playoffs multiple times, has thrown for 10,000 more yards than the most prolific Bears QB in history: Jay Cutler.

The Bears are now firmly entrenched in NFL Hell: not good enough to seriously challenge for anything meaningful, but not bad enough to work their way out of it by taking advantage of drafting early.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Bears sign Andy Dalton after failing to persuade Seahawks to trade Russell Wilson. The sad truth is that Dalton immediately becomes the most accomplished QB to ever don a Bears uniform. 3 Pro Bowls, been to the playoffs multiple times, has thrown for 10,000 more yards than the most prolific Bears QB in history: Jay Cutler.

The Bears are now firmly entrenched in NFL Hell: not good enough to seriously challenge for anything meaningful, but not bad enough to work their way out of it by taking advantage of drafting early.

Even worse is it's possible this move shows Nagy/Pace have job security. Bring in a veteran bridge gap to play and/or mentor the QB you're going to pick. Matt could be getting a chance to pick his guy at QB and be given a few years go work with him. Even more worse than that the Bears have $17M in cap space invested in Foles/Dalton. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Yep.  And the sad thing is I think the Bears current ownership is ok with that, like the Ford family is with the Detroit Lions.   Be just mediocre enough to put fans in the seats (covid excepted of course) and sell enough merchandise to turn a small profit on the franchise.   If once every 20 years or so you have a 'miracle season' and get to the SB then that is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

https://deadspin.com/signing-andy-goddamn-dalton-is-the-most-bears-move-ever-1846493532

Signing Dalton is an admission you don’t have a plan this season, so you’re going to kick the can down the road a season, which fair enough, is a very Chicago solution to just about any problem we have. This is the scoop-and-toss of QB plans. The Bears didn’t suck quite enough to get in amongst the prime QBs in the draft, don’t have the movable assets to acquire Wilson or Watson and have anything leftover but Khalil Mack, cigarette butts, and Dorito dust. So they’ll just plug in this dope and hope it’s different next year, except everyone will be older.

This is the perfect example of an organization that has never had a plan, ever. It keeps hoping the guy below them has one, while that person hopes the guy above them has one, or they just all stare blankly at a wall. The owners are the boring-ass cousins of the Bluths. The GM tells everyone he met Drew Brees once. Their coach acts out the football version of A Beautiful Mind before they have John Nash committed. This is a group that actually said at their postseason press conference, “Well, if you judge us by other measures than wins and losses.” THERE ARE NO OTHER MEASURES! My buddies and I don’t gather around beers and reminisce about the time...fuck I don’t even know. The way they talked to the media?

This is the foundational franchise of the entire league. This isn’t some expansion make-good like Houston or Cleveland. It’s not a strangely placed billionaire’s toy like Jacksonville. It’s the team that started the whole league. If this were the NBA the McCaskeys would have been taken out back and shot years ago. The McCaskeys belong in the NHL where they can talk about tradition and legacy all they want and no one will notice or care.

The NFL is the only sport where one signing lets every fan know they’re in for four months of bilge and runoff by itself. The Bears have signed Dalton, put him on the con, and asked him to not touch anything. It’s going to be watching a team parallel park for 16 games.

Some excellent takes here.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, Bobref said:

Watson wants out of Houston due to well-publicized issues with their front office. Perhaps before he stakes his claim to the moral high ground, he should make sure he’s entitled to it. This is an awful lot of smoke for their to be no fire.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/18/deshaun-watson-faces-second-lawsuit-assault-massage-therapists

Deshaun Watson Faces Third Lawsuit Alleging Assault During a Massage

Deshaun Watson is facing three civil lawsuits, and another three more could be filed in the coming days. After announcing the first lawsuit on Tuesday, Houston attorney Tony Buzbee posted on social media about a second suit on Wednesday and later that evening, Buzbee announced in a post that a third lawsuit—this one "the most egregious" to date—had been filed as well.

The first two lawsuits allege inappropriate conduct during massages on two different occasions by two different individuals, the first being a licensed massage therapist and the other being a masseuse with the goal of being a licensed massage therapist one day. 

The second lawsuit says, "Watson's behavior is part of a disturbing pattern of preying on vulnerable women."

Buzbee declined to go into details about the third lawsuit, but addressed any perceptions that the suits had anything to do with gaining notoriety or financial gain.

"I've been doing this a long time. I don't need 'fame'...," Buzbee wrote. "I'm not pursuing these cases for the money, and every woman who has filed thus far has only plead the minimum amount to invoke the court's jurisdiction ($500). This isn't about the money!!"

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

In the second filing, Watson allegedly booked the massage through Instagram, and flew the masseuse from Atlanta to Houston in August 2020. Prior to arrival, they discussed what he was looking for, and allegedly asked her to specifically focus on his “glutes and his groin area and asked if she was comfortable with working on those areas.”

The lawsuit states that she arrived at the hotel where the massage was to take place, but when she went to the room, the Texans quarterback was nude and allegedly refused to cover up with a towel despite multiple requests, stating that he "gets hot too easily."

The filing says that Watson allegedly asked the woman to focus on the “inner part of his anus” and towards his “genitals.”

When the Texans quarterback flipped onto his back, the woman handed him a towel to cover up, which he refused. She became uncomfortable shortly after, and ended the massage, asking to leave. 

“Watson grabbed her hand and started to rub her arm, pulling her towards him, saying ‘It is okay, it is okay.’ Plaintiff pulled away,” according to the lawsuit.

The filing also states that the masseuse only received half of her payment, but was "so disturbed" that she didn't ask for the second half. 

The first lawsuit was filed on Tuesday and appeared on the Harris County district clerk's website Wednesday morning. The incident took place in March 2020, and the lawsuit says it was "apparent that Watson wanted the massage for only one reason—sex."

"As she was trying to figure out how to extricate herself from the situation, Watson continued to aggressively attempt to steer the conversation to how Plaintiff was not rubbing him the way he wanted. Several times he specifically kept trying to direct her to his penis," the lawsuit says. "At one point, he purposely exposed the tip of his penis from under the towel."

The lawsuit claims the quarterback was "fully erect," and he "moved his body so he could expose himself more." It also alleges Watson "purposefully touched the Plaintiff's hand" with the tip of his penis. 

The Plaintiff, listed as "Jane Doe" in the case, quickly ended the session, and according to the lawsuit, Watson told her, "I know you have a career and reputation, and I know you would hate for someone to mess with yours, just like I don't want anyone messing with mine."

Buzbee, who represents the Plaintiffs in both cases, said on social media that four cases against Watson, but only two have been filed so far. 

ESPN reported that the Texans issued a statement earlier on Wednesday.

"We became aware of a civil lawsuit involving Deshaun Watson through a social media post last night," the team's statement said. "This is the first time we heard of the matter, and we hope to learn more soon. We take accusations of this nature that involve anyone within the Houston Texans organization seriously. We will await further information before making any additional statements on this incident."

Watson responded to the claims from Buzbee on social media Tuesday night, denying the allegations. Watson said Tuesday that he had not seen the complaint yet.