Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chicago Bears 2020

Guest DT

Huge game for our Beloved tonight on the west coast.

5-1 NFC North leading Bears traveling to the west coast to play the glamorous 4-2 Rams in their sparkling new stadium on national TV.

Bears have been in the shadows of the NFL for a long time.  I dont watch the NFL unless the Bears are competitive because I dont gamble and I dont play Fantasy.

Id like to see this team run the ball better.  Foles is looking better and the receiver group is solid.  Should be a good one tonight and a fun one to watch.

Classic!!!

The Bears better find their running game tonight. Because if Foles has to win the game with 5 & 7 step dropbacks in the pocket, I’m afraid he is going to become very well acquainted with Aaron Donald. I would not be surprised if Trubisky saw some action tonight ... one way or another.

24 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Rut roh. I doubt da bears are a 1 seed anymore. They aren’t even the best team in their division. 

Pretty awful.  I switched and watched Jigsaw early into the third qrt.

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

No argument here 

Just brutal, brutal, brutal. I can go the rest of my life perfectly contempt without ever seeing Patterson run the ball on a key short yardage situation. It's beyond predictable at this point. It's clear Nagy's job is probably safe because of his W/L record and the Bears may make the Playoffs again this year, however, he can thank Fangio, Pagano, and a roster stacked with defensive talent for that. Last I checked he focuses strictly on Offence and his is atrocious! There are two things I would prefer to see happen: 1. Nagy no longer calls plays.  2. Pace doesn't pick the QB the Bears should take early in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Just brutal, brutal, brutal. I can go the rest of my life perfectly contempt without ever seeing Patterson run the ball on a key short yardage situation. It's beyond predictable at this point. It's clear Nagy's job is probably safe because of his W/L record and the Bears may make the Playoffs again this year, however, he can thank Fangio, Pagano, and a roster stacked with defensive talent for that. Last I checked he focuses strictly on Offence and his is atrocious! There are two things I would prefer to see happen: 1. Nagy no longer calls plays.  2. Pace doesn't pick the QB the Bears should take early in the draft. 

It's really no fun to watch the Bears when they have no running game.  I'd much rather watch the Jordan Howard teams than this mess.  They look like any other team, just without the deep strike or quick scoring capability

8 hours ago, Gipper said:

Losing sucks, huh?  The Packers and Bears hook up in a few weeks, should be a good one.

Meh.  It's been almost 2 years since the Bears beat the Packers and Mr. Rodgers has always had the Bears number, so to speak.  

Unless the Bears O-line and running game get real good real fast it could be game. Otherwise a fairly routine Packers victory.   

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Meh.  It's been almost 2 years since the Bears beat the Packers and Mr. Rodgers has always had the Bears number, so to speak.  

Unless the Bears O-line and running game get real good real fast it could be game. Otherwise a fairly routine Packers victory.   

I wouldnt mind seeing the Bears go into the tank and finsh 8-8, fire Nagy and hire Fitzgerald.

https://deadspin.com/monday-night-football-now-incites-open-revolt-on-teams-1845492555

Last night’s game was hardly any better. The Bears thought they were playing third division Rugby League, at least on offense, and the Rams took a whole half to come to terms with what was across the line from them before realizing it was actually what it looked like and not some elaborate practical joke. It was perhaps the most lopsided 14-point win in NFL history, as the game could have been 180 minutes long and the Bears wouldn’t have broken 20 points, or even 100 yards rushing.

But that won’t be the story to come out of it. In the fourth quarter, MNF analyst Brian Griese told the watching audience that Bears QB Nick Foles basically thought his coach was an idiot. Not in those words of course, as what Foles said to him is that Matt Nagy will call plays that Foles knows the Bears can’t block, and that Nagy doesn’t seem to know how much, or how little, time his QBs have. This is the in-house version of “Watch the game, nerds!”

Of course, there were all the normal denials after the game, with Nagy saying he has never had that conversation with Foles and Foles saying he and Griese had a “miscommunication,” i.e. “that wasn’t on the record, dickhead.”

Anyone who’s watched the Bears offense knows that Foles had a point, even if it was the quiet part of his conversation with Griese. For two seasons Nagy has been running the offense in his head instead of the one on the field, which is why it constantly looks like it’s falling into a ditch. But that’s hardly the point. You don’t want a national broadcast declaring a rift between your QB and coach, or perhaps revealing that the supposed leader of the offense has no confidence in the guy calling the plays. That is usually the first step to full-out revolt.

The only fallout from this is likely to be no player telling Griese anything ever again, while the Bears will use it as something “that brought the team together” should they find a win in the next two months. But it’s at least the first time the Monday night broadcast has been worth talking about since Howard Cosell was doing body shots off Don Meredith in the 3rd quarter.

It certainly livened up a game where the punter was no worse than the third-most important player on the field in the Rams’ 24-10 win.

As for the game itself, the Bears were pretty much outed as the fraud everyone thought they were, despite that 5-1 record they’ve tried to shove in everyone’s face. When Foles wasn’t wearing Aaron Donald and his friends as a tasteful shaul, he was missing his receivers by measurable acreage. This was the fourth straight game the Bears couldn’t manage more than 65 yards rushing, which made them one dimensional, and that dimension is“suckage.” The defense can only hold out for so long before dying of exhaustion, and this time the other team wasn’t Detroit- or Atlanta-incompetent enough to projectile diarrhea the game back to the Bears as happened in previous weeks. The emperor was revealed to have no clothes definitively on Monday night.

The Rams came into last night’s game with every win being against the NFC East, which is essentially repeatedly pinging a dodgeball off the head of the kid who picks his nose until it bleeds (strangely that’s not autobiographical). The Bears probably aren’t much better, if better at all, but at least the Rams can claim something other than the NFC East title.

I don't take much stock in the "writers" at Deadspin, but this analysis was pretty much spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I'd settle for something like a Colts-caliber offensive line and a competent quarterback.

Did you see the graffic ESPN showed regarding the Bears rankings # of QB's started and having only 2 Pro Bowl QB's since sometime in the '80's? We've always known Chicago is where QB's go to die, but the graffic they displayed solidified the point.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Did you see the graffic ESPN showed regarding the Bears rankings # of QB's started and having only 2 Pro Bowl QB's since sometime in the '80's? We've always known Chicago is where QB's go to die, but the graffic they displayed solidified the point.

Yep.  Something like 51 starting quarterbacks since they won the super bowl in 1985.  And those two Pro Bowl QB's were Jim McMahon and Mitchell Trubisky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DT said:

It's really no fun to watch the Bears when they have no running game.  I'd much rather watch the Jordan Howard teams than this mess.  They look like any other team, just without the deep strike or quick scoring capability

You mean that 3-star recruit from IU?

26 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

You mean that 3-star recruit from IU?

Thats the guy!

Really enjoyed watching him at IU and then with the Bears.  He was the perfect fit for both teams.  He was the kind of guy that on 3rd and 6, he would blast up the middle and get you 7 yards and a first down.  The offensive line has a different mentality and approach when they have a big back like Howard running the football.  

Edited by DT

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Thats the guy!

Really enjoyed watching him at IU and then with the Bears.  He was the perfect fit for both teams.  He was the kind of guy that on 3rd and 6, he would blast up the middle and get you 7 yards and a first down.  The offensive line has a different mentality and approach when they have a big back like Howard running the football.  

Would we even be having this conversation if Trubiski weren’t a bust and Foles a barely serviceable backup? I know a GM that better start getting his resume together if the season starts to spiral. Strange to say that when they’re 5-2, I know. But I can just see it happening, if they can’t run the ball and they can’t protect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Would we even be having this conversation if Trubiski weren’t a bust and Foles a barely serviceable backup? I know a GM that better start getting his resume together if the season starts to spiral. Strange to say that when they’re 5-2, I know. But I can just see it happening, if they can’t run the ball and they can’t protect.

We Bear fans are very hard to please.  If the team went 12-4 and made a playoff run with a Run and Shoot team that wins ballgames 48-36, we would complain about the style of play despite the winning result.

We like ground oriented offensive running attacks.

Dominating offensive linemen

Attacking defenses with a punishing type attitude.

You cant have all of this, and a Hall of Fame level QB all at the same time.  It just doesnt fit the budget.  So the Bears settle for a Tier 2 (Jim McMahon/Jim Miller/Jay Cutler) or Tier 3 (Eric Kramer, Mike Tomczak/Kyle Orton/Rex Grossman/Mitch Trubisky/Nick Foles) QB in a league where only Tier 1 QBs hoist the Super Bowl Trophy, with rare exceptions.

Edited by DT

Time for Ryan Pace to take the keys away from Matt Nagy

https://deadspin.com/time-for-ryan-pace-to-take-the-keys-away-from-matt-nagy-1845506368

When Nagy took over the Bears in 2018, he was heralded as a young offensive potential genius, cut from the same cloth as Sean McVay and Adam Gase (I know!) and raised up to offensive coordinator by none other than the hallowed Andy Reid. In his first season, Nagy pulled all matter of trick plays out of his bag of . . . tricks. The Willy Wonka! Santa’s Sleigh! The Oompa Loompa! The Freezer Left! In Chicago, we loved them all, convinced we had a bona fide savant on our hands, finally giving Chicago the white whale we’ve longed for our entire lives: A creative offense.

Looking back though, things started going south for the Bears’ offense as early as Week 14 of 2018, the year they went 12-4 and won the division. Chicago only managed to score one touchdown in a 15-6 win over the Rams that week; two weeks later they put up only 14 in a win over San Francisco. Two weeks after that, in the playoffs, kicker Cody Parky put up the bulk of the Bears’ 15 points on 3 field goals, only to break hearts all over the Windy City with the infamous double doink.

Here’s where I should mention that all of this took place with a really extremely very good defense that ended the season ranked 1st in the NFL in fewest points allowed.

In 2019, Bears fans expected a lot and got exactly diddly-squat. The offense fell flat on its face on Thursday Night Football (against the Packers, no less), and spent the rest of the season trying to figure out what happened to the offense while, on the other side of the ball, the defense got more injured and a year older. Fans blamed third-year quarterback Mitch Trubisky, (now banished to the sidelines in favor of Nick Foles), but there were grumblings about Nagy’s play calling even then. It was just hard to tell how bad the play-calling was with Trubisky checking down all the time. The Bears finished the season 29th in the league in both scoring and total yards.

But but but! We were assured part of the problem was that Nagy didn’t have “his guys.” He needed more versatile running backs! He needed better TEs (at one point the Bears had 10 on the roster). He needed a better (read: smarter) QB who could understand his system and make quick adjustments. Over the course of two offseasons, out went Jordan Howard, Trey Burton, and Chase Daniel. In came Jimmy Graham, David Montgomery, and Foles. Out went a host of offensive coaches. In came Matt Nagy’s handpicked guys.

So here we are in 2020 and a Bears quarterback is finally saying out loud what everyone has been saying privately for a season and a half: Nagy’s play-calling stinks.

Despite somehow awkwardly lurching their way to 5-2 and vying for the NFC North, it’s clear to anyone watching the game that the play-calling hasn’t improved since 2018. If anything, it’s gotten worse. In 2019, Nagy seemed genuinely convinced that a run game was only for peasants. And despite announcing in post-game presser after post-game presser that he knew he needed to run the ball, he continued to, you guessed it, not run the ball. Then there was an entire season of trying to force Trubisky to stand in the pocket when it was clear he was much better with a little freedom to move around. So far this season, the Bears are 28th in the league in points scored.

Look, Nick Foles isn’t going to be compared to Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees anytime soon. And it seems the broken shell of Mitch Trubisky, now watching forlornly from the sidelines, was never the guy to make Nagy’s system work. But the Bears have switched up just about everything they can switch up, outside of who calls the plays.

For his part, Nagy has always bristled at the idea of handing over play-calling to someone else, even though he says he has no ego about it. But with another refusal to hand over the laminated sheet again this week, it’s time for GM Ryan Pace to step in and make him.

Every game the Bears spend trying to figure Nagy’s system is another game of wear-and-tear on the defense, and another four quarters of obvious frustration on the part of the few good offensive players the Bears do have and would like to keep around.

Pace has been hands off the last two seasons. Nagy was his guy. A guy he staked his reputation (and probably job) on, just like he staked it on trading up to get Trubisky in the draft in 2017 (no I’m not over it). If you’ve ever seen Pace and Nagy in a room together, they are each other’s guys, delighted to be in one another’s company. But this is the National Football League, not the National Friends League. And as much as it will pain Pace to do it, the Bears need to find out if this season is salvageable sooner rather than later.

As long as Matt Nagy refuses to hand over the reins, we’ll likely never know.

Bingo.  A friend and I were discussing this exact same topic earlier today.  The Bears OC Bill Lazor must have the easiest OC job in the league, he doesn't actually have to call any plays or make any in-game decisions. Time to give him a shot,  whatever Mr. Nagy is doing isn't working.

• Thanks 1