Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Congratulations Perry Meridian

7 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

35-0 over Tech...ends the 23-game losing streak. House money next week against Ben Davis. The Giants should win easily, but Perry can put that losing streak behind them and build for the future.

Wow.  How bad is Tech?

22 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

a 6a school with probably 1a or 2a numbers i’d imagine 

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/football/logsIndianapolisTech.htm#loaded

Although their record may not be the greatest, how’s the feeder system?  Facilities?  Coaching?  

The school may have a large enrollment, but if you’re not all in for football, good results probably will not result.

Former Indianapolis School Superintendent Eugene White had a vision for Tech athletics.  As most of the bigger Indy public schools closed (Northwest/Broad Ripple/Arlington/Manual/Howe) Tech was to become the Indy public school sports magnet.  White envisioned Tech athletics improving to the point that membership in The MIC would be a possibility.  Tech would have the best coaches and top notch faciltities as all city athletic funds would be focused on the Titan program.

White left town under a cloud and the Tech dream died a quick death.  They had some success but went downhill quickly.  Its too bad.  

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Former Indianapolis School Superintendent Eugene White had a vision for Tech athletics.  As most of the bigger Indy public schools closed (Northwest/Broad Ripple/Arlington/Manual/Howe) Tech was to become the Indy public school sports magnet.  White envisioned Tech athletics improving to the point that membership in The MIC would be a possibility.  Tech would have the best coaches and top notch faciltities as all city athletic funds would be focused on the Titan program.

White left town under a cloud and the Tech dream died a quick death.  They had some success but went downhill quickly.  Its too bad.  

Thanks for the clarification.

9 hours ago, DT said:

Wow.  How bad is Tech?

Tells you everything you need to know about E-learning and the inner city. This lockdown nonsense is devastating inner city teenagers. The word from the teachers is over 30% have never logged in to a single class. Obviously extracurriculars are the acid test for institutional health. The Shamdemic causes way more residual harm than the virus itself. Glad the election is in 48 hours. 

And, congrats to the Falcons. #powderblue

• Like 2
  • Kill me now 1

17 hours ago, DT said:

Wow.  How bad is Tech?

It's hard to build a program in these circumstances. They also went through a coaching change. That's tough anytime let alone at this moment. If the stat that 30 percent have not logged in, that means that there were probably a lot of "F's" as well.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 11:47 PM, DT said:

They do have a beautiful campus near Mass Ave and great football facilities. It's one of the best environments in Marion County and would be awesome if the stadium was full. Schools with a large number of low income students have different challenges than most people realize if they have never been involved with them. Tech can be successful, but it takes a great coaching staff and non-pandemic circumstances.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JustRules said:

They do have a beautiful campus near Mass Ave and great football facilities. It's one of the best environments in Marion County and would be awesome if the stadium was full. Schools with a large number of low income students have different challenges than most people realize if they have never been involved with them. Tech can be successful, but it takes a great coaching staff and non-pandemic circumstances.

I have a soft spot for IPS Athletics. My father coached at School 75 in the 1970's and was an teacher, counselor, and administrator in IPS for 35 years. He taught in the middle schools and was in admin/counseling at Wood, Howe, and Broad Ripple. He also played football in the 1950's at Washington, and he had a shot to be principal there when it closed in the 1990's. He likely would have been the last principal had they chosen him. They didn't, and he stayed at Ripple until his retirement in 1997. Anyway, I always loved all the games I attended as a kid. I remember the energy of the Ripple/Tech or Ripple/Arlington games. 

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

Coach Chambers did some big things with struggling programs at Howe and then at Marion the last few years so I would anticipate them getting better fairly quickly if history is an indicator. They have the ability to be the best team in that conference if they can get kids out to play.

4 hours ago, olinecoach said:

Coach Chambers did some big things with struggling programs at Howe and then at Marion the last few years so I would anticipate them getting better fairly quickly if history is an indicator. They have the ability to be the best team in that conference if they can get kids out to play.

Coach Chambers is fantastic and the turnaround he engineered at Marion was very impressive. 

It's hard to build a feeder program for an IPS school with the way their schools are set up (a junior high doesn't necessarily feed one high school), the difficult socioeconomic circumstances and a very fluid population ... and also with the reality that a lot of the athletes end up at Cathedral, Chatard and Scecina and a few others will head to a charter school (or transfer out of district to a township school). 

7 hours ago, olinecoach said:

Even better than Lafayette Jefferson?

3 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Even better than Lafayette Jefferson?

I believe so... If, IF they can recruit the middle schools and their own building. On a smaller scale that is what happened at Marion. Basketball guys out playing football, for example, was almost unheard of at Marion for a while. That changed when Coach Chambers was there. By no means is it a guarantee, but there is a heck of a lot of potential to create something successful at Tech I believe.

23 hours ago, JustRules said:

I grew up, well sort of, 3 blocks west of Tech on 9th St.  I attended many Tech football games when I was young, found a way under the fence, and that stadium was always full and lively.  Of course Tech had 5,000 students then too.  Now they still have about 2500 enrollment and it seems like their athletics have hit the bottom.  It's difficult to get young men to play football at smaller schools but there should be 100 or so willing to play football out of an enrollment that large.  And it's not just their football program that's lacking participation.  A couple of year back their JV basketball team had 6 players and the varsity had 8 players.  That's well before the COVID era.

I don't know what the answer is and apparently Tech doesn't know either.  It's sad to watch.

17 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Coach Chambers is fantastic and the turnaround he engineered at Marion was very impressive. 

It's hard to build a feeder program for an IPS school with the way their schools are set up (a junior high doesn't necessarily feed one high school), the difficult socioeconomic circumstances and a very fluid population ... and also with the reality that a lot of the athletes end up at Cathedral, Chatard and Scecina and a few others will head to a charter school (or transfer out of district to a township school). 

I must have missed the memo on all those Tech athletes that went to Chatard these last 15 years or so.

As to Tech’s decline, it would seem they have reverted back to the Tech I recall around 2010 and thereabout.  Clearly, they did have something going just a handful of years ago but it’s going to take yeoman’s work to rebuild that program....again.

Edited by Lysander

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

I must have missed the memo on all those Tech athletes that went to Chatard these last 15 years or so.

As to Tech’s decline, it would seem they have reverted back to the Tech I recall around 2010 and thereabout.  Clearly, they did have something going just a handful of years ago but it’s going to take yeoman’s work to rebuild that program....again.

There's a good chance a percentage of Chatard students live in the IPS district. They may have been a part of the CYO program and attend a diocese parish, but if they attended their assigned public school they could have gone to Tech.

16 minutes ago, JustRules said:

There's a good chance a percentage of Chatard students live in the IPS district. They may have been a part of the CYO program and attend a diocese parish, but if they attended their assigned public school they could have gone to Tech.

I understand that and don’t disagree as to the geography, but Chatard has listed on the roster for many years just where kids attended middle school - it’s a major point of pride at Chatard to win with their home grown kids (not that they’d exclude anyone who wants to come).  I’d say well over 95% of the kids listed the last 15 years went to Archdiocese schools.  And it has been pretty rare that a starter has come from the 5% that didn’t go to diocesan schools.  I’d be truly surprised that, if any, there have been more than 3-5 Chatard starters over the last 10-15 years that attended public middle schools and would have gone to Tech.  

I’d guess they’ve lost a lot to Cathedral.....couldn’t (wouldn’t) guess as to Scecina....

• Like 1