Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs Castle - 5A Semistate

12 minutes ago, southend said:

Rules of the IHSAA 

Explain the "earned" part of your statement. I understand how the home team is determined. To earn something over someone else you usually have to actually do something the other person or team did not do. 

44 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Pick the stat line: Whiteland or Castle?

A87B8731-5A6F-43F3-9C0C-60F1A68D5EF6.png

A quick search reveals that these are Castle’s team stats but I’m not sure what you are inferring here.

Perhaps you think that Castle’s superior offensive stats prove that they are more of a worthy opponent to Cathedral than Whiteland was?  Has more of a passing attack?

If so, I’ll point to schedule strength as Whiteland played Decatur Central AND Mooresville (two top 5 teams in their respective classes) in the regular season.

Castle’s schedule is respectable as the SIAC is no joke but Sagarin has it at #66 whereas Whiteland is #22.

That being said, I’ll stick with a running clock after halftime and a comfortable 5-6 TD win for the Irish.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Doesn't someone have to be the visiting team at the semistate?

Sure, and your point? By winning regional, they had earned the right to be chosen for the chance to host a home semi state game. Taking that away from a team or school by playing at a neutral site, takes away community pride and accomplishment. Once in a life time for some communities. 50-50 chance for each winner but they earned it.

49 minutes ago, southend said:

Sure, and your point? By winning regional, they had earned the right to be chosen for the chance to host a home semi state game. Taking that away from a team or school by playing at a neutral site, takes away community pride and accomplishment. Once in a life time for some communities. 50-50 chance for each winner but they earned it.

So 4 teams in each class have "earned" the right to host a semistate, but only two will get to host one? Doesn't that "take away community pride and accomplishment," too? What if a team gets a regional championship because the opponent got "Covided" out? Have they earned it then? The reality is that with the total randomness involved in the draw and the determination of home field, nobody earns anything in our tournament except the right to play another game and, if you're the last man standing in your class, that trophy. But this is the lamest argument against neutral semistate sites that I can imagine.

1 minute ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

@temptation I was interring that this is the identical twin of Whiteland. 5 passing touchdowns on the season. Run heavy offense. One dimensional. Etc. 

WITHOUT the strength of schedule component.

Irish by 42.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

So 4 teams in each class have "earned" the right to host a semistate, but only two will get to host one? Doesn't that "take away community pride and accomplishment," too? What if a team gets a regional championship because the opponent got "Covided" out? Have they earned it then? The reality is that with the total randomness involved in the draw and the determination of home field, nobody earns anything in our tournament except the right to play another game and, if you're the last man standing in your class, that trophy. But this is the lamest argument against neutral semistate sites that I can imagine.

Yep.  Posted this in another thread but Zionsville should have had to travel last week and LCC should this week.

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

@temptation I was interring that this is the identical twin of Whiteland. 5 passing touchdowns on the season. Run heavy offense. One dimensional. Etc. 

I saw Whiteland early against Gibson Southern and am obviously familiar with Castle.  I've also watched Cathedral on ihsaatv.  This game will be running clock to start the 3rd Q.   

How many Irish fans are making the trip down?  I'm sure most the the parents and families are going to the game.

We are still trying to decide if we should make the trip.  A few years back it wouldn't be a problem, but old age is a problem when traveling that distance in a day or even a weekend.  I hate to miss a game but then again.

16 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

How many Irish fans are making the trip down?  I'm sure most the the parents and families are going to the game.

We are still trying to decide if we should make the trip.  A few years back it wouldn't be a problem, but old age is a problem when traveling that distance in a day or even a weekend.  I hate to miss a game but then again.

7 Hours of travel for likely a 90 minute game. I imagine only parents are that committed for this one. That said, I believe a couple busses of parents are making the trek. 

Just now, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

7 Hours of travel for likely a 90 minute game. I imagine only parents are that committed for this one. That said, I believe a couple busses of parents are making the trek. 

Better than traveling 7 hours for a 90 minute game in which YOU are the ones mercy ruled, lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

If I were a few years younger I wouldn't hesitate to make that trip.  At my advanced age I tend to agree with you that i's probably better to stay home and pay the $15 to watch on the net or go to George's and have a sammich.

I am staying home too....given the above.  It this was normal year, would totally make the trip, tailgate, watch the game, then head downtown Evansville to do some riverboat gambling and spend the night in hotel before driving home next morning.  Damn you Covid!

On 11/15/2020 at 11:40 AM, Bobref said:

(So 4 teams in each class have "earned" the right to host a semistate, but only two will get to host one? Doesn't that "take away community pride and accomplishment," too? )
WHY ARE YOU So NEGATIVE? YOU ARE RIGHT,TWO TEAMS OUT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS EARNED THE RIGHT TO HOST, AND NO THIS DOESN’T TAKEAWAY COMMUNITY PRIDE,THE OTHER TWO ARE PROUD THEY GOT THIS FAR.(What if a team gets a regional championship because the opponent got "Covided" )WHAT IF WHAT IF(The reality is that with the total randomness involved in the draw )THIS IS NOT TOTAL RANDOMNESS, WHEN ONLY FOUR TEAMS , OUT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS EARNED THE CHANCE(nobody earns anything in our tournament ) DIDNT EARN ANYTHING? COME ON! NEGATIVE AGAIN!THESE FOUR TEAMS DID. OUT OF THEIR WHOLE CLASS. EARNED THE RIGHT TO AT LEAST PLAY ANOTHER GAME MAYBE ON THEIR OWN FIELD.(But this is the lamest argument against neutral semistate sites that I can imagine.)

TOO BAD YOU WANT TOO TAKE THE HOME FIELD EXCITEMENT OUT OF HIGH-SCHOOL FOOTBALL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Beautiful time of the year to travel down SR-37 and I-69... God's Country, I tell ya!

BTW: As someone who hasn't been in Indiana in two years, but will be in a month (for a holiday visit) -- how far north has the I-69/SR-37 project progressed? Does it still basically end at Martinsville?

If I come from Jasper, I'll take US 231 to I-69, but if coming from Santa Claus, it'll be I-64 to I-65 (hopefully no construction around Louisville/Jeffersonville).

18 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Beautiful time of the year to travel down SR-37 and I-69... God's Country, I tell ya!

BTW: As someone who hasn't been in Indiana in two years, but will be in a month (for a holiday visit) -- how far north has the I-69/SR-37 project progressed? Does it still basically end at Martinsville?

If I come from Jasper, I'll take US 231 to I-69, but if coming from Santa Claus, it'll be I-64 to I-65 (hopefully no construction around Louisville/Jeffersonville).

I-69ends at martinsville, still

11 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Indy to Castle? 21/2 hrs one way should cover. With 1 stop maybe 23/4 hrs.  51/2 - 6 total at most. Easy 4 lane driving 

On 11/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Bobref said:

(So 4 teams in each class have "earned" the right to host a semistate, but only two will get to host one? Doesn't that "take away community pride and accomplishment," too? )
WHY ARE YOU So NEGATIVE? YOU ARE RIGHT,TWO TEAMS OUT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS EARNED THE RIGHT TO HOST, AND NO THIS DOESN’T TAKEAWAY COMMUNITY PRIDE,THE OTHER TWO ARE PROUD THEY GOT THIS FAR.(What if a team gets a regional championship because the opponent got "Covided" )WHAT IF WHAT IF(The reality is that with the total randomness involved in the draw )THIS IS NOT TOTAL RANDOMNESS, WHEN ONLY FOUR TEAMS , OUT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS EARNED THE CHANCE(nobody earns anything in our tournament ) DIDNT EARN ANYTHING? COME ON! NEGATIVE AGAIN!THESE FOUR TEAMS DID. OUT OF THEIR WHOLE CLASS. EARNED THE RIGHT TO AT LEAST PLAY ANOTHER GAME MAYBE ON THEIR OWN FIELD.(But this is the lamest argument against neutral semistate sites that I can imagine.)

TOO BAD YOU WANT TOO TAKE THE HOME FIELD EXCITEMENT OUT OF HIGH-SCHOOL FOOTBALL. 

@southend this is borderline incoherent. But I guess what you're saying is that neutral sites are bad because they rob a team of the hoopla associated with a big home game, which (and this is still a mystery to me) they somehow "earned." In our tournament, nobody "earns" anything, except the right to play another game. You can't "earn" a home game, since there is nothing you can do to influence who gets a home game. That is done entirely randomly. "YOU ARE RIGHT,TWO TEAMS OUT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS EARNED THE RIGHT TO HOST, AND NO THIS DOESN’T TAKEAWAY COMMUNITY PRIDE,THE OTHER TWO ARE PROUD THEY GOT THIS FAR." If it's OK that the other two are just proud they got this far, why can't all 4 of them be proud they got this far at a neutral game site? I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject. But enthusiasm is not the same as logic, and your position does not have any logic to it that I can detect.

Change my mind.