Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Covenent Christian - Why Privates Never Belong in 1A Football

Guest DT

Being a fan of big school football primarily, I havent always paid much attention to all the little private schools and charters that have opened up across the state over the past decade.  If it werent for all these little guys, we would be much closer to the Magic 280 goal to achieve competitive balance.

If Im reading the data correctly, according to Harrels site, CC began play in 2014 with one game, where they recorded a 40-7 win over another newbie, Traders Point.  CC has steadily built and has now reached the 1A State Championship game in just its 6th full season of play.

Undoubtedly, CC roster is stocked with kids from throughout the Indy Metro, many hand picked by the coaching staff.  The campus lies conveniently just up the street from Indianas greatest football dynasty, Ben Davis HS.

So I have to ask the question.  How is this fair to the many small public schools who have toiled over the years and never had the chance to advance past a sectional let alone reach the finals.

It is my firm belief that NO private school should be allowed to play in the lowest classification for this very reason.  The very smallest PPs should be classed at a bare minimum of 2A , with a preferred 2.0 Multiplier to assign the best class fit  Covenent has taken a short cut to the state championship game, and stepped over lots of other programs with significantly less resources.  Kudos to CC on their accomplishments, but lets see it for what it really is.  

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/logs/CovenantChristian.htm#loaded

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Covenant+Christian+High+School/@39.7921165,-86.2897539,5529m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x886ca8579f1b28f1:0xbaf70228c4cec9b2!8m2!3d39.7930563!4d-86.2930584

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/football/logsCovenantChristian.htm#loaded

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Being a fan of big school football primarily, I havent always paid much attention to all the little private schools and charters that have opened up across the state over the past decade.  If it werent for all these little guys, we would be much closer to the Magic 280 goal to achieve competitive balance.

If Im reading the data correctly, according to Harrels site, CC began play in 2014 with one game, where they recorded a 40-7 win over another newbie, Traders Point.  CC has steadily built and has now reached the 1A State Championship game in just its 6th full season of play.

Undoubtedly, CC roster is stocked with kids from throughout the Indy Metro, many hand picked by the coaching staff.  The campus lies conveniently just up the street from Indianas greatest football dynasty, Ben Davis HS.

So I have to ask the question.  How is this fair to the many small public schools who have toiled over the years and never had the chance to advance past a sectional let alone reach the finals.

It is my firm belief that NO private school should be allowed to play in the lowest classification for this very reason.  The very smallest PPs should be classed at a bare minimum of 2A , with a preferred 2.0 Multiplier to assign the best class fit  Covenent has taken a short cut to the state championship game, and stepped over lots of other programs with significantly less resources.  Kudos to CC on their accomplishments, but lets see it for what it really is.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Covenant+Christian+High+School/@39.7921165,-86.2897539,5529m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x886ca8579f1b28f1:0xbaf70228c4cec9b2!8m2!3d39.7930563!4d-86.2930584

Faith Christian.

35 minutes ago, DT said:

Sort of agree.  I feel private schools, especially parochial schools should have their own class.  But yet again, you can choose to go to which public school you want.  So technically public schools could “recruit” I agree 

• Like 1

Just now, dazed and confused said:

???...  does Faith Christian have a football team ?

Nope.  Not even a youth program.  Their kids actually end up playing ball over with LCC as youth. 

220 kids, but apparently somehow the "advantage" of being in Tippecanoe County hasn't been discovered by them.  And of course there's St. James Lutheran ... which terminates at 8th grade.  Somehow all of these privates are really bad at "luring all the talent out of the public hallways" as the narrative would go.  Or perhaps, just maybe, it's not as cut-and-dry and easily-packaged as some would like everyone to believe ... as they are doling out torches and pitchforks.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Spot on, but you failed to mention WHY privates/charters can find success so quickly.

Why do you think that is?  Tell me more about the “resources” you speak of.

Edited by temptation

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Spot on, but you failed to mention WHY privates/charters can find success so quickly.

Why do you think that is?  Tell me more about the “resources” you speak of.

A (resources) plus B (total buy in) = c (Winning)

Its quite a simple formula

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Explain “A” in greater detail please...

I assume with “B” you are referring to administration, though correct me if I am wrong.

No thanks  Do your own research  Ive done mine

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

He doesn't know anything about them. He can't even spell the names correctly.

Im less concerned with the details than the overriding message.  And the message will be reinforced at every opportunity using any and all potential examples 

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Explain “A” in greater detail please...

I assume with “B” you are referring to administration, though correct me if I am wrong.

How about just being a 1A in a metro area? Sure, schools don’t actively recruit, but now CC has the Indy area to get potential players from, while the Adams county schools have to pluck kids from a cornfield. 

• Like 3

Just now, Thor77 said:

How about just being a 1A in a metro area? Sure, schools don’t actively recruit, but now CC has the Indy area to get potential players from, while the Adams county schools have to pluck kids from a cornfield. 

I come from the cornfield (and beans with proper crop rotation), a pretty groovy place to be.

Just now, DT said:

Im less concerned with the details than the overriding message.  And the message will be reinforced at every opportunity using any and all potential examples 

We are likley going to see a 5 class PP sweep this weekend, and it could get very ugl;y in several of the games.  I will keep the propaganda machine humming to keep the issue of competitive balance front and center throughout the week.

Covenent has bludgeoned everyone they have played this year, except for their fellow PPs.  

Just now, DT said:

We are likley going to see a 5 class PP sweep this weekend, and it could get very ugl;y in several of the games.  I will keep the propaganda machine humming to keep the issue of competitive balance front and center throughout the week.

Covenent has bludgeoned everyone they have played this year, except for their fellow PPs.  

I’m on your side, @DT, as I picked CG in a non-slobberknocker, but just had 4 private schools winning as the Protestants couldn’t hold up their end of the bargain.

just a few years ago one of the Hendricks County HCC schools expelled a kid for his sophomore year/season....enrolled at CC for that year and went back to that HCC school and most games was the best player/athlete on the field for two years....no clue the make up of this years CC roster, but obviously if a family can scratch a check for 10K they can rent a player...not so easy for the non privates.

23 minutes ago, DT said:

A (resources) plus B (total buy in) = c (Winning)

Its quite a simple formula

I might actually agree that this formula is close to being correct.   The "total buy in" you see in almost all programs PP or Public.   Center Grove is the 6A example of A + B = C.  I could find examples in all classes in all sports for both PP and Public.    The difference is that you want to penalize (pick a word here: penalize, punish) the PP schools with a 2.0 multiplier because they are able to implement that forumula, but OK for the public schools to do so.    Pathetic.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

I sometimes look at 1a or 2a schools near cities or bigger schools.. Possible advantages. 

LaVille

15 miles from South Bend Adams, 21 miles from SB Clay and 15 miles from South Bend Riley. 10 miles from Plymouth High School, 11 miles from John Glenn. 

Look at Eastbrook is near Marion.. As is Oak Hill (oak hill 3a right now)

Lewis Cass is 15 miles from Peru, 11 miles from Northwestern, 18 miles from Kokomo high school and 10 miles from Logansport high school. 

Those are 3 schools I wouldn't mind coaching at if I were a coach.. Could be easy to get some transfers or kids go to a big school k-8 and enroll at a small one for HS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starfire said:

Sort of agree.  I feel private schools, especially parochial schools should have their own class.  But yet again, you can choose to go to which public school you want.  So technically public schools could “recruit” I agree 

Didn't your team just get done beating the breaks off of the DT's normal main defendant? 

• Thanks 1