Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OFFICIAL GID Super Bowl 55 Thread

temptation

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Chiefs missing All Pro LT was a major issue 

Meh.

LT can only really block 1 man.  How do you explain the other 3-4 rushers making mahomes run for his life?

KC was too damn arrogant.  That is Reid and Bienemy's (maybe he isn't ready to be a HC) fault.  Run the DAMN ball.

10 minutes ago, DE said:

Meh.

LT can only really block 1 man.  How do you explain the other 3-4 rushers making mahomes run for his life?

KC was too damn arrogant.  That is Reid and Bienemy's (maybe he isn't ready to be a HC) fault.  Run the DAMN ball.

As a former OL Coach, you cannot honestly beleive that missing an future HOF, ALL Pro LT changes the entire dynamic of the protection.   Guys turning the corner all day on the back up would chase Mahomes into other trouble.   It was clear and obvious the impact of the entire back ups they went into the game with, now some of the backups have had been in the entire seasons, but the loss of Fisher was too much for them to overcome.   I don't disregard the impact of maybe an unfocussed over confident chief group, but that who they have always been, so why would this game be different? 

I will agree, that the lack of committment to the Run to start the game was troubleseome as well.   

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/super-bowl-kansas-city-chiefs-offensive-line-patrick-mahomes

The Chiefs enter the Super Bowl with Mike Remmers at left tackle after he played right tackle for three months. They moved Andrew Wylie from right guard to right tackle to replace Remmers.

At right guard, the Chiefs inserted Stefen Wisniewski, a reliable backup who was their starting left guard against San Francisco in Super Bowl LIV. He was signed as a free agent before the playoffs after being released by Pittsburgh.

At left guard is Nick Allegretti, who replaced Osemele in Week 6. The only Week 1 starter remaining on the unit is center Austin Reiter, who was benched for two weeks in the middle of the season.

These five big men – Remmers, Allegretti, Reiter, Wisniewski and Wylie – will stand between the fierce Tampa Bay pass rush and Mahomes.

It goes without saying that the Chiefs' line — and any offensive line with multiple injuries — is at a physical disadvantage. I'll discuss that in more detail below. But there's also a mental disadvantage that can happen from a communication perspective.

Offensive linemen who play next to each other for a while develop their own language, especially as they become more grizzled with game experience. While new or young players might need something spelled out at the line of scrimmage — "Hey, we have this guy, and watch out for this to happen" — offensive linemen who have played together for a while might just say, "you good?" or "hey, it's that look" or "he's coming," and understand what is happening.

When the quarterback changes a play, the linemen know exactly why he's doing it and can adjust quickly. Newer players have issues with these transitions when plays change.

Crisp communication impacts play speed. When you know your job and everyone around you, and when you can anticipate what might happen on a given play, everyone plays faster. When you don't, it can be a struggle to get the timing down — not to mention the physical beating you might receive for playing a tad slowly without confidence in your assignment.  

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

As a former OL Coach, you cannot honestly beleive that missing an future HOF, ALL Pro LT changes the entire dynamic of the protection.   Guys turning the corner all day on the back up would chase Mahomes into other trouble.   It was clear and obvious the impact of the entire back ups they went into the game with, now some of the backups have had been in the entire seasons, but the loss of Fisher was too much for them to overcome.   I don't disregard the impact of maybe an unfocussed over confident chief group, but that who they have always been, so why would this game be different? 

I will agree, that the lack of committment to the Run to start the game was troubleseome as well.   

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/super-bowl-kansas-city-chiefs-offensive-line-patrick-mahomes

Future HOF?  Man do people toss that phrase around loosely these days.  

I stand by my assessment as an impartial observer and a former OL coach.  He is 1 man.  Chip.  Put a TE.  Tackle over.  Put an H-Back.  Multiple ways to do it.  

Entire game.

Heard on the radio this morning (ESPN 1000 Kap and Hoodie) that Mahomes ran for like 490 yards backwards, side to side, or just evading the pass rush. It seemed, in the 4th qtr. especially, every time he dropped back to pass he spun, went backwards, and then tried moving to the side. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

OK, just my opinion. But from this point forward, if you even hint that there is a reasonable argument that Brady is not the GOAT, you lose every shred of football credibility you might otherwise have. Simply astonishing.

image.png.8ab0499eeb324daff4d17e1e8df1e2e6.png

So, no discussion of a QB from the era where the QB was fair game? Winning 4 Super Bowls in said era? Just asking for discussion purposes....difficult to compare eras, BUT Montana playing in this era? No spy gate issues, tuck rule, deflate gate, etc?  Compared to TB playing in that era? 

What Brady has accomplished is incredible, and he very well may be considered the goat. Honestly, the 9ers of that era and this Tampa team were very similar as far as the way Tampa played in this game. 

19 minutes ago, Irishman said:

So, no discussion of a QB from the era where the QB was fair game? Winning 4 Super Bowls in said era? Just asking for discussion purposes....difficult to compare eras, BUT Montana playing in this era? No spy gate issues, tuck rule, deflate gate, etc?  Compared to TB playing in that era? 

No. No discussion.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No. No discussion.

Correct.  The discussion is over.  While Montana's era may not have catered to quarterbacks as much as today's era and the rule changes as it relates to what defensive backs can do favored the guys of today, you cannot deny that guys are simply bigger, faster and stronger than they were 30-40 years ago.

I thought the debate was over BEFORE last night.  Super Bowl 55 just put it more out of reach.

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

What Brady has accomplished is incredible, and he very well may be considered the goat. Honestly, the 9ers of that era and this Tampa team were very similar as far as the way Tampa played in this game. 

Joe Montana would be LIGHTS OUT in this era.

SOOOO smart.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

sure, Future HOF could be a strech.... admit, but the impact was GREAT 

I politely agree to disagree.

58 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No. No discussion.

image.jpeg.904fc540009bde616b924b831176ccc9.jpeg,

image.jpeg.c7553d67f2284459886a1f689902576b.jpeg'

image.jpeg.10a948f1fe5dd03f196144fca065fab1.jpeg!

They wrote themselves.

41 minutes ago, temptation said:

Correct.  The discussion is over.  While Montana's era may not have catered to quarterbacks as much as today's era and the rule changes as it relates to what defensive backs can do favored the guys of today, you cannot deny that guys are simply bigger, faster and stronger than they were 30-40 years ago.

I thought the debate was over BEFORE last night.  Super Bowl 55 just put it more out of reach.

Brady is the GOAT, but to say others (Montana) couldn't do what Brady has done in this current NFL, is just silly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE said:

image.jpeg.904fc540009bde616b924b831176ccc9.jpeg,

image.jpeg.c7553d67f2284459886a1f689902576b.jpeg'

image.jpeg.10a948f1fe5dd03f196144fca065fab1.jpeg!

They wrote themselves.

Brady is the GOAT, but to say others (Montana) couldn't do what Brady has done in this current NFL, is just silly.

Lemme throw it back on you then.  Reverse the question.  Could Brady do THEN what Montana did?  Why or why not?

58 minutes ago, temptation said:

Lemme throw it back on you then.  Reverse the question.  Could Brady do THEN what Montana did?  Why or why not?

Sure could.  He may not have played as many years, but he still would've excelled.

My all-time favorite QB is Dan Marino.  He isn't even in the same breath as TB12!

53 minutes ago, DE said:

Sure could.  He may not have played as many years, but he still would've excelled.

My all-time favorite QB is Dan Marino.  He isn't even in the same breath as TB12!

Why, in your opinion, would he not have played as many years?

Also, even though it’s hypothetical and not realistic, what do you say if you switch the rosters and give Brady those 49ers skill players from the 80s and put Montana on those modern day Patriot/Bucs teams.

Do both careers turn out similarly?  What’s different?

Edited by temptation

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Also, even though it’s hypothetical and not realistic, what do you say if you switch the rosters and give Brady those 49ers skill players from the 80s and put Montana on those modern day Patriot/Bucs teams.

Montana did not have all the QB friendly rules as today.

Remember this hit?

If Brady, who is the GOAT, got hit like this yesterday, Christoper Wray and his fellow keystone cops, would open a 12 month long investigation for attempted murder.

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

I do not think I said that and if I implied it, my apologies.