Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

PP Survey - Would Your PP Accept an Adjustable Enrollment Multiplier?

Guest DT

This is a survey for PP schools only.  Public supporters are welcomed to chime in with their comments along the way.

Premise :

IHSAA proposes to impose an adjustable enrollment multiplier on all private-parochial schools in the association.  This measure will replace the SF

The action is designed to provide better overall competitive balance for high school football in Indiana.

There are 3 adjustable multiplier levels in this model 

Level 1 : 1.5 x enrollment

Level 2 : 1.75 x enrollment

Level 3 : 2.0 x enrollment

The IHSAA will adopt a points system similar to the SF that will determine the Multiplier level for each PP.

For starters, lets assume the following Levels have been assigned for Year 1 of the first 4 year cycle :

Level 1 : Ev Mater Dei, St Joe, Concordia, Ritter, Scecina, Brebeuf, Guerin, Heritage, Noll

Level 2 : Ev Memorial, Roncalli, Andrean, Marian, Luers, Dwenger, LCC

Level 3 : Cathedral, Chatard, Covenant

3 hours ago, DT said:

This is a survey for PP schools only.  Public supporters are welcomed to chime in with their comments along the way.

Premise :

IHSAA proposes to impose an adjustable enrollment multiplier on all private-parochial schools in the association.  This measure will replace the SF

The action is designed to provide better overall competitive balance for high school football in Indiana.

There are 3 adjustable multiplier levels in this model 

Level 1 : 1.5 x enrollment

Level 2 : 1.75 x enrollment

Level 3 : 2.0 x enrollment

The IHSAA will adopt a points system similar to the SF that will determine the Multiplier level for each PP.

For starters, lets assume the following Levels have been assigned for Year 1 of the first 4 year cycle :

Level 1 : Ev Mater Dei, St Joe, Concordia, Ritter, Scecina, Brebeuf, Guerin, Heritage, Noll

Level 2 : Ev Memorial, Roncalli, Andrean, Marian, Luers, Dwenger, LCC

Level 3 : Cathedral, Chatard, Covenant

So essentially instead of P/P's having a chance to win 1A-5A its now 2A-6A?

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

So essentially instead of P/P's having a chance to win 1A-5A its now 2A-6A?

Its about right sizing enrollments to create a more balanced outcome.

Im a believer that the pandemic has caused considerable harm to many programs around the state, the vast majority of those being public.  We will see this played out on the field this season.  

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Im a believer that the pandemic has caused considerable harm to many programs around the state, the vast majority of those being public.  We will see this played out on the field this season.  

I understand your premise, think you fail to see the unintended consequences. Moving Dwenger and Roncalli out of 4A just to replace them with Chatard and so on and so on isn't really going to shift the dynamic. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I understand your premise, think you fail to see the unintended consequences. Moving Dwenger and Roncalli out of 4A just to replace them with Chatard and so on and so on isn't really going to shift the dynamic. 

The outcomes will take care of themselves.  If you recall, we saw an immediate reduction of PP championships in the first several years of the SF.  The PPs have now caught up and are back to their dominating ways, and likely positioned for even greater success.  You can attribute this to overall PP continued improvement corresponding with a  pandemic driven decline of non affluent public schools.  

I think the bouncing back and forth, up and down between classes is bad for the game.  Boundaried schools should rermain in their respective enrollment based classes regardless of results and PPs should be elevated based on their performance.  Non football schools like Noll and Park Tudor are trteated differently than football focused schools like Chatard and Cathedral.  This model works for everyone.

But to answer your question, no I would not be in favor of a multiplier. I think it's silly. There's some P/P's who have no business playing in their current classification, let alone artificially adding students to their enrollment. 

The success factor works and does what it is intended to do. A simple tweak in the success factor, extending the cycle from 2 years to 4 years solves the problem and naturally solves a lot of the problems you are seeking, without an unneeded multiplier. 

4 hours ago, DT said:

I agree with your second paragraph, but the question now becomes, can they close the gap or was 2020 (four p/p champions out of six) the new normal?

I think it’ll take more than a couple years worth of data to figure out if it was an anomaly or the new trend?

• Like 1

I dont think that it would be going too far to say that collectively, PPs are in their strongest competitive position ever.

These programs are bigger, deeper, more talented and as well coached as they have ever been.  

Hence my desire to see The Multiplier issue revisited.

19 minutes ago, DT said:

I dont think that it would be going too far to say that collectively, PPs are in their strongest competitive position ever.

These programs are bigger, deeper, more talented and as well coached as they have ever been.  

Hence my desire to see The Multiplier issue revisited.

Are they though? 

LCC, Ritter, Luers aren't near what they were a decade ago. Roncalli in the last year or two has rebounded and appears headed back to the Roncalli of old, but there was a decade or so stretch where they weren't your typical Roncalli team. 

Think you're naive to not think P/P's were impacted by the pandemic. Not every student at a private school is a Benz drivin, son/daughter of a Fortune 500 CEO. Not by a long shot. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Are they though? 

LCC, Ritter, Luers aren't near what they were a decade ago. Roncalli in the last year or two has rebounded and appears headed back to the Roncalli of old, but there was a decade or so stretch where they weren't your typical Roncalli team. 

Think you're naive to not think P/P's were impacted by the pandemic. Not every student at a private school is a Benz drivin, son/daughter of a Fortune 500 CEO. Not by a long shot. 

Different names, same results.

LCC/Ritter will be back, Roncalli is, welcome Lutheran and Covenant Christian.

@Bobrefis it even legal (I know it is done in other states) to count a person as more than a person?

Or a public school student (in the example) could say, "Hey, I am worth a person and they are worth a person and a half".

What about funding/voucher $ if you say a student is "worth" a person and a half.

55 minutes ago, DE said:

@Bobrefis it even legal (I know it is done in other states) to count a person as more than a person?

Or a public school student (in the example) could say, "Hey, I am worth a person and they are worth a person and a half".

What about funding/voucher $ if you say a student is "worth" a person and a half.

Many states use the multiplier.  Its nothing new.

10 hours ago, DT said:

Most with great ideas are not appreciated until long after their time on earth.

Edited by temptation

44 minutes ago, BTF said:

Alabama uses statistical data instead of throwing out random numbers..........imagine that. I like their system with Minnesota a close second. How about a combination of the two?

The first time Alabama has ever been considered a trend setter in anything?  😃