Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Pal @ Cathedral

22 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Like I said I am clueless on your quote or number 2 with something dealing with a JV game. It wouldn't be something I would know about, care to know about, or any of my business. Obviously it has you upset.

A Cathedral JV player played 5 varsity (non-special teams) snaps in the Friday night game against Center Grove spanning more than one quarter and then played in the JV game the following Saturday morning, which was also the last game of the JV season. By rule it's not allowed and Center Grove addressed the issue.

As to why he's upset? Who knows, dude likely just needs a better hobby. 

Edited by Footballking16

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

A Cathedral JV player played 5 varsity (non-special teams) snaps in the Friday night game against Center Grove spanning more than one quarter and then played in the JV game the following Saturday morning, which was also the last game of the JV season. By rule it's not allowed and Center Grove addressed the issue.

As to why he's upset? Who knows, dude likely just needs a better hobby. 

Ah I see. So a Cathedral JV player got in for a few snaps on Friday night and played in the JV game on Saturday and now they are evil. Okay, neve thought I would see the day so much importance was put on the play of JV. At any rate should be a good game between the Dragon's and Irish Friday night.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:12 PM, CaptainHook said:

Only have 4 seniors starting.  Quarterback, guard, linebacker, and safety.  Several seniors in the defensive line rotation, though.

At 1-3, this group had a lot to learn about playing hard and needed to improve their mental toughness.  They've grown up a lot the last few weeks.  I doubt it's enough to legitimately compete with the Irish on Friday, but 8 weeks ago, I didn't think they'd win the sectional either.

FWIW, two junior OL and one sophomore OL are getting legit FBS looks.

This NP team reminds me of the a young 2019 Center Grove team that started 1-4, that included a butt kicking by NP🙂, and went on to state finals that ended in a lost to Carmel. Don't know if NP in the next couple of years can turn it into the success CG had, but should be Interesting to see what the do.

3 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

It is not hatred and I have nothing against Irish athletes/students. I have had a few fiends that have attended Cathedral.   I have a dislike to the attitude / way cathedral chooses to run it's athletics  programs. I will give two examples one recent and one in the past. 

First Cathedral believes that if they don't believe in a rule that they don't have to follow it and if caught breaking the rule there should be no consequences. Confirmed be a so called coach on this form (JV quarter limit).

The second example comes from my playing days when Cathodal hired alumni to Referee there basketball games. Can you image looking up and seeing  FastpacedO or Footballking16 referring against you. May be they can be unbiased. hmmm

Link?

On 11/9/2021 at 8:52 PM, Sports Freak20 said:

LIKE:  You are forgetting that our red-neck south side second cousins are running through 4A. Someone needs to make sure the Rebels/Royals don't get any more state titles than they deserve. But, generally, I agree with you. 

I love how comments like this one... attacking Roncalli are allowed, but the whiney Irish followers ban anything that hurts their wittle feelings.  #typical

20 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Ah I see. So a Cathedral JV player got in for a few snaps on Friday night and played in the JV game on Saturday and now they are evil. Okay, neve thought I would see the day so much importance was put on the play of JV. At any rate should be a good game between the Dragon's and Irish Friday night.

I see...so that allows you to rationaliize non-compliance/cheating.  It is not just about the JV game.  It impacts the friday night game by providing additional depth....in this case to special teams.  Depth that the opponent was not afforded.

Cathedral then had a coach foolishly post on this forum making a case for non-compliance.  It speaks loudly about the culture.

Most of us are not foolish enough to believe that when "hands are caught in the cookie jar" it is the very first time......

40 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I see...so that allows you to rationaliize non-compliance/cheating.  It is not just about the JV game.  It impacts the friday night game by providing additional depth....in this case to special teamsDepth that the opponent was not afforded.

Cathedral then had a coach foolishly post on this forum making a case for non-compliance.  It speaks loudly about the culture.

Most of us are not foolish enough to believe that when "hands are caught in the cookie jar" it is the very first time......

I don't and didn't rationalize any non-compliance/cheating. Just don't put much into JV football games or deem a school evil (especially when it is tournament time and there are no JV game).

Shouldn't have any bearing on "Special Teams" for Friday Night

Q. 54-3 Is a football player charged with a quarter of participation if the student participates in a Varsity kicking down?

A. No, a student participating just in a Varsity kicking downs (kickoffs, kickoff returns, punts, punt returns, field goals, and kicked extra points) during a quarter will not have the quarter count under the maximum quarter rule, rule 54-3.1.

Q. 54-4 What is the maximum number of season quarters in which a football player may participate during one week?

A. Maximum weekly season quarter participation is as follows: Varsity Sub-varsity

4 0

3 1

2 4

1 4

0 4

I've seen Coach Peebles coach at Southport (even played CG a few times) and Lawrence Central. Has not had a bad culture anywhere he has coached. You believe what you want honestly that is up to you. Just like some wanted to cast a bad shadow on Coach Moore's coaching culture (a soured parent from what I hear). I wouldn't make generalized statement about culture of a staff you haven't even worked with.

For the 2nd time back to the game at hand between New Pal and Cathedral. Are both teams looking to be relatively healthy? Everyone has bumps and bruises right now any significant injuries.

47 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I don't and didn't rationalize any non-compliance/cheating. Just don't put much into JV football games or deem a school evil (especially when it is tournament time and there are no JV game).

Shouldn't have any bearing on "Special Teams" for Friday Night

Q. 54-3 Is a football player charged with a quarter of participation if the student participates in a Varsity kicking down?

A. No, a student participating just in a Varsity kicking downs (kickoffs, kickoff returns, punts, punt returns, field goals, and kicked extra points) during a quarter will not have the quarter count under the maximum quarter rule, rule 54-3.1.

Q. 54-4 What is the maximum number of season quarters in which a football player may participate during one week?

A. Maximum weekly season quarter participation is as follows: Varsity Sub-varsity

4 0

3 1

2 4

1 4

0 4

I've seen Coach Peebles coach at Southport (even played CG a few times) and Lawrence Central. Has not had a bad culture anywhere he has coached. You believe what you want honestly that is up to you. Just like some wanted to cast a bad shadow on Coach Moore's coaching culture (a soured parent from what I hear). I wouldn't make generalized statement about culture of a staff you haven't even worked with.

For the 2nd time back to the game at hand between New Pal and Cathedral. Are both teams looking to be relatively healthy? Everyone has bumps and bruises right now any significant injuries.

I totally get the reason for the rule, it is all about safety. The spirit of the rule is to prevent an underclassmen from playing 20-30 snaps as a rotation player and then turning around and playing a full 50-60 snaps in a JV game the next morning. That's why the rule is implemented and in place.

However, the letter of the law really contradicts the point of emphasis on player safety. By rule, you could have a sophomore appear on every special teams unit (kick-off/kick-off return/punt/punt return/Extra Point) and potentially play 25 plays a game. If said player doesn't appear on any regular down aside from special teams, said player is theoretically available to play an entire JV game the next morning. 

By the same letter of the rule, your back up QB (who serves as the regular JV QB) could be forced to play a down in the 2nd quarter because the starting QB has an equipment malfunction and then later on in the game with his team up 56-0, comes in and kneels the ball three times. The letter of rule theoretically states the JV QB is now only eligible to play in 2 JV quarters the following day.

Common sense tells you the point of emphasis on player safety is completely disregarded. How is it acceptable for a kid that plays 25 special teams down be available for an entire JV game while another kid who handed the ball off one time in one quarter and kneeled three consecutive times in another quarter can only play two quarters? It makes no sense.

I don't know specifically what happened in the CG/Cathedral JV game, but seems that common sense was lost and had left the building. 

54 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I don't know specifically what happened in the CG/Cathedral JV game, but seems that common sense was lost and had left the building. 

Nor do I, but I would imagine deception or cheating wasn't the intention.

I only stated the rule because it was brought up about Friday night and special teams. Reading the rule it looks like any special teams play doesn't count toward the quarter rule so I didn't get the correlation for Varsity. Like I said I don't put much into JV games other than it is rep for players that aren't Varsity starters. 

19 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Nor do I, but I would imagine deception or cheating wasn't the intention.

I only stated the rule because it was brought up about Friday night and special teams. Reading the rule it looks like any special teams play doesn't count toward the quarter rule so I didn't get the correlation for Varsity. Like I said I don't put much into JV games other than it is rep for players that aren't Varsity starters. 

Based on the post from the other thread, sounds like there was a Cathedral player who played multiple non-special team plays in the varsity game (it was stated 6 out of 53 plays) and played in the JV game the following morning. 

37 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Based on the post from the other thread, sounds like there was a Cathedral player who played multiple non-special team plays in the varsity game (it was stated 6 out of 53 plays) and played in the JV game the following morning. 

And it just so happened to be a kid that transferred from New Pal to Center Grove that started that topic. Week 9 and we are worried about a player playing too many quarters in a JV game 😂

7 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I see...so that allows you to rationaliize non-compliance/cheating.  It is not just about the JV game.  It impacts the friday night game by providing additional depth....in this case to special teams.  Depth that the opponent was not afforded.

Haha. Such a troll. If you think Cathedral  gives a flip about J/V, you are a complete idiot. We have 10 seniors that rarely get a lick of time on Friday night. Forget about the few snaps for a J/V player. We have way bigger problems getting kids playing time on Saturday mornings than trying to stack the deck for a W that no one will ever remember or record. Desperate and hilarious. 

6 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

TrojanMP52 was a New Pal Student that transferred to CG. He would have transferred the first year Spegal was at New Pal. 

This is wrong.. it was actually CG_Holmeaid that was the transfer from New Pal to CG. I’ll bury my head in the sand and go hide now… haha.. I can’t delete my other post now. Figures. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

FWIW, I have heard much respect for the Irish defense and the defensive line in particular.

I have watched a couple of games. From what I have seen the Irish defense has looked very good. If I were to pick something of a weakness of the defense it would be their occasional mental lapses. By that I mean when they have a lapse and unnecessary penalties that extend a drive like an encroachment etc. They play fast and physical though.

I do admit I have only watched New Pal against Decatur Central (a game they should have won) and last week against Whiteland. Aside from the 1 long TD run Whiteland had early on (listening to Coach Ralph at halftime talk about that play made me chuckle his wording was perfect and I enjoy listening to him speak what goes through his mind). New Pal doesn't tend to have a wow factor player on their team and they are young. I am very impressed how well they play as a team. I am also impressed with their improvement from week 1 to now (even though they should have won the week 1 game). You can tell Coach Ralph and staff work really hard on the fundamentals and conditioning of their players. I would say all of you are thankful each passing week for the mind Coach Ralph has when it comes to football, his players, staff, and community. 

More importantly I hope Max is having fun and you are having fun watching him play! Has Sampson cut his hair yet (I kid I kid).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grover said:

Who transferred from New Pal to CG?

Doesn't pertain to this game but more of a question for a knowledgeable CG guy. After Jackson graduates do you think we will see CG in more Wing T sets with occasional spread with the QB behind him? Or do you think it will be more 50/50 or a little heavier to spread sets. Just curious because I don't get to see much of CG's back-ups. 

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Doesn't pertain to this game but more of a question for a knowledgeable CG guy. After Jackson graduates do you think we will see CG in more Wing T sets with occasional spread with the QB behind him? Or do you think it will be more 50/50 or a little heavier to spread sets. Just curious because I don't get to see much of CG's back-ups. 

I would expect more wing t next year.  Our JV quarterback is very talented but not as athletic as Tayven.  

29 minutes ago, Grover said:

I would expect more wing t next year.  Our JV quarterback is very talented but not as athletic as Tayven.  

Thank you for the answer. It was just a thought I had. I know what Jackson brings to the table and the incorporation of spread with his talents. I also know Coach Moore adapts to his talent. You have more of an eye on what is behind current starters, thought I would ask.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Haha. Such a troll. If you think Cathedral  gives a flip about J/V, you are a complete idiot. We have 10 seniors that rarely get a lick of time on Friday night. Forget about the few snaps for a J/V player. We have way bigger problems getting kids playing time on Saturday mornings than trying to stack the deck for a W that no one will ever remember or record. Desperate and hilarious. 

It takes an idiot to know an idiot.  As I stated before, the impact isn't just to the JV game.  Can you not get your pea brain around that?  It provided depth (in this case to special teams) to the varsity game friday night, that the opponent was not afforded.  What is worse, you had a member of the Cathedral coaching staff post on GID acknowledging non-compliance.  Now who's desperate when it comes to acknowleding that a team is breaking rules to gain a competitive edge?

Let's talk desperate some more...repeatedly on this forum calling the Cathedral vs CG game, the "Game of the Century".  It didn't live up to that billing....not even close. Last year's game was far better.  Further, you've stated several times how the Cathedral O line is the best in the state.  Many of us rolled our eyes, guessing you had a kid on the line, and your comments were just based on your "enthusiasm".  Well, how has that worked out?  How did the great O line in the state perform running the ball against CG on a tailored made night to run the ball between the tackles?  Greatest O line in the state...what a joke.

I'm a troll for calling out cheating when I see it...so be it.  Wouldn't expect anything different from a guy like defending it.  What a clown.

12 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

FWIW, I have heard much respect for the Irish defense and the defensive line in particular.

The D-line is very good. We play a 3-4. Our two tackles are Dom Seibal and Kendrick Gilbert. Both are outstanding. Kendrick has 10+ Power 5 offers (ND, Every B1G, etc). The NT rotates between two seniors Navi Neal and Kyle Coleman and one junior Patrick Kendall. 

They say a linebacking crew is only as good as their down linemen. So, hats off to the DL nasties. In my opinion, the linebackers are our strength. 3 of our 5 will play in college. And they can fly. Anchored in the middle by Jack Goheen and Huddy Miller with our best defensive player at strong side OLB, Jeff Utzinger (numerous MAC offers, PWO at IU). 

11 Gold is the mantra, and they play together well. Penalties have killed them. I'm guessing 4 of 8 allowed touchdowns have come from drives with more than 40 yards in penalties. Some of that is homecooking at away games, but some of that are sloppy mental errors. We'll see if they can dial up another shutout tonight. 

War Irish!